Crows 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2016

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:30 am

Don't need those stats REB imo. Crows have been up and about for 6 weeks and have been the best team in the entire AFL in that time according to the premiership indicator and that includes playing 3 x top 8 teams in that time. They are due to drop off for a short period like they did those couple weeks v the Dogs and Cats. I still think the finals will potentially throw up a team outside that indicator that can win the whole thing purely on the basis that this year all teams are fresh coming off the bye and rule changes from this year being tested even further in a finals match.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:13 am

I know it's coulda woulda shoulda but if the crows didn't implode against hawthorn they would be sitting top right now.

We should certainly be aiming for a top 4 spot from here on. Not sure top 2 is realistic, would have to rely on GWS and Geelong dropping a couple
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:19 am

bennymacca wrote:I know it's coulda woulda shoulda but if the crows didn't implode against hawthorn they would be sitting top right now.

We should certainly be aiming for a top 4 spot from here on. Not sure top 2 is realistic, would have to rely on GWS and Geelong dropping a couple

Get behind Port on Thursday night, beaten Hawthorn 3 of the last 4 IIRC. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:19 am

I won't tip them but I'll be barracking for them :)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:23 am

Doesn't matter now, check back in 6 weeks. Need to beat Carlton this week first and foremost.

IFwe keep winning (maybe drop 1) we will most likely finish 2nd.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:26 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Doesn't matter now, check back in 6 weeks. Need to beat Carlton this week first and foremost.

IFwe keep winning (maybe drop 1) we will most likely finish 2nd.

Away vs Geelong looms as a season defining game
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:27 am

bennymacca wrote:I know it's coulda woulda shoulda but if the crows didn't implode against hawthorn they would be sitting top right now.

Remember you have your best 22 on the park ATM.
Not one is out injured - this will more than likely change.
I'm not begrudging the crows current run of wins at all, they're playing very well. But enough injuries will stop any team. Look at Freo, Gold Coast, Collingwood, North & Port.
You ride your luck with different things in this game (injuries being one of them) - sooner or later it runs out.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:27 am

My ladder predictor has :

GWS 18-4
Geelong 18-4
Hawks 18-4
Sydney 17-5
Adelaide 17-5
Bulldogs 17-5
West Coast 14-8
North 13-9

If so, Hawks / Geelong and a Sydney derby to decide prelim final hosts would be outstanding!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:29 am

Spargo wrote:

I'm not begrudging the crows current run of wins at all, they're playing very well. But enough injuries will stop any team. Look at Freo, Gold Coast, Collingwood, North & Port.
You ride your luck with different things in this game (injuries being one of them) - sooner or later it runs out.

No doubt. We have been very lucky with that.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:59 pm

bennymacca wrote:I won't tip them but I'll be barracking for them :)

Do you feel dirty now.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:01 pm

stan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I won't tip them but I'll be barracking for them :)

Do you feel dirty now.

Honestly I'm not that fussed what other clubs do as long as the crows do better.

Well that's not quite true - I hope other clubs play a good brand of footy so I can watch as a neutral and not be bored.

Plus it would be much sweeter to beat port in a grand final than win a flag and they be bottom.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:30 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Spargo wrote:

No doubt. We have been very lucky with that.

Some luck, but bloody good player management through the sports science/recovery team led by Brett Burton, who from memory the club was ridiculed for bringing him back
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:35 pm

The club was ridiculed, Burton's record at Brisbane was not great. However, he's no doubt got more resources at his disposal at Adelaide. Small sample size to be marking him on, but so far he's got it right.

Where you have been terribly lucky is impact injuries. Soft tissue injuries can be, to a certain extent, managed by work load and rehab etc etc, but impact injuries are typically at the mercy of the footy gods who appear, right now, to be on your side. Fair enough too. With what the players and club ( and his family ) went through last year nobody could begrudge them some good fortune.

How much? No, not that much. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:38 pm

Yeah that is the luck part I guess
MW
Coach

Postby TEX07 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Booney wrote:My ladder predictor has :

GWS 18-4
Geelong 18-4
Hawks 18-4
Sydney 17-5
Adelaide 17-5
Bulldogs 17-5
West Coast 14-8
North 13-9

If so, Hawks / Geelong and a Sydney derby to decide prelim final hosts would be outstanding!

I came up with pretty much the same % on the last spot in the top 4 will play a huge part.

I think that the swans will drop two more though - Cats at SS round 16 and one of Hawks SCG round 17 or NM at Blundstone Round 22

Crows are still to play Essendon and Brisbane at AO which would assume be two good wins (never certs I know) - which should see them jump into 4th over WB.

The two big games for us is Cats and Power - the rest seems formality based on form and ladder positions but you never really know. Carlton at the G this weekend and Fremantle in the west is normally a tough task.

The top 8 seems pretty secure IMO however the positions are not which would make sides play their best 22 all the way up to finals this season.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby MW » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:04 pm

I am getting fed up with the media, Melbourne media in particular, shit bagging JJ for his "Joe the Goose" goals.
There is a clear reason why he gets so many...for a 199cm 100kg big man, who is always matched up on similar if not smaller players, he has the speed over the first 20m to burn away most if not all of them and get out ahead towards the goal.
The fact that the media keep questioning why teams "allow" this to happen...have a think and maybe they have plans in place to stop it but do not have the speed in their key backs to execute it?
Put a man behind the ball on the goal line and another forward is free hence they cannot do this.
Keep talking him down guys, it helps with the Crows chances of keeping him on affordable money.
MW
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:19 pm

yep, there arent too many big men in the AFL that are more athletic than him for his size. Maybe Blicavs and a fit Nic Nat.

Who cares how you score them, its not a coincidence we have the best attack in the league by a fair margin. I personally think it is great coaching that Jenkins and Betts get out the back so often.

It also relies on the kicking ability of the players up the ground, which is often overlooked. Walker, Smith, Sloane, etc can all kick 60m accurately, and that makes a massive difference as you need a long penetrating kick to be able to kick it over the defenders. That is the biggest area of improvement i see in the crows this year
bennymacca
Coach

Postby hawks21 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:44 pm

bennymacca wrote:yep, there arent too many big men in the AFL that are more athletic than him for his size. Maybe Blicavs and a fit Nic Nat.

Who cares how you score them, its not a coincidence we have the best attack in the league by a fair margin. I personally think it is great coaching that Jenkins and Betts get out the back so often.

It also relies on the kicking ability of the players up the ground, which is often overlooked. Walker, Smith, Sloane, etc can all kick 60m accurately, and that makes a massive difference as you need a long penetrating kick to be able to kick it over the defenders. That is the biggest area of improvement i see in the crows this year

I agree, a bit harsh on JJ. I would like to see his GPS numbers, watching him live his work rate is brilliant. His ability to lead up onto the wings and then work back inside the forward 50 towards the goal square is exceptional, not many backman as mentioned can go with him (or ruckman if he is giving sauce a chop out). Also nothing wrong with being in the right spot at the right time, shows some footy smarts.. His lead up marks and contested work has improved as well this year, will only get better! Far from a one dimensional player!
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:47 pm

MW wrote:I am getting fed up with the media, Melbourne media in particular, shit bagging JJ for his "Joe the Goose" goals.

Luke Bruest Board.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:51 pm

A heat map for all of Josh Jenkins goals
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26.92 KiB) Viewed 390 times
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL