Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Do CBHS, Seaford, Wirreanda ect all have School teams that play every Saturday now? If they do well I am well out of the loop
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:10 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Do CBHS, Seaford, Wirreanda ect all have School teams that play every Saturday now? If they do well I am well out of the loop

Don't know but the Primary schools do.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:19 pm

Many grounds host primary school footy on them too.

I was referring to 14's,16's and 18's playing before Seniors. No public high schools play in Saturday competitions and that is the angle SAAFL posters are coming from.

What honestly would be the point of playing 1 U'9's game as a curtain raiser to the C grade when the club has their remaining 4-5 junior sides playing on the Sunday? Especially when many families have more than 1 player in the family and they play another grade.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:37 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
What honestly would be the point of playing 1 U'9's game as a curtain raiser to the C grade when the club has their remaining 4-5 junior sides playing on the Sunday? Especially when many families have more than 1 player in the family and they play another grade.

Thats the whole point you are missing, the SFL is based on playing 5 matches on the same ground, same day. Juniors and families are then connected to the seniors, with joint presso's that night to finish the day off. Im not sure how you can;t see the benefit of that.

This is one of the issues that Brighton will no doubt debate.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:00 pm

I played juniors in the SFL I understand it from both sides. You seem to be only taking what you want out of my broad debate and using it to benefit your opinion. Having 1 team of 9 or 10 year olds playing 1 match of juniors Saturday morning and then playing their next 7 years on Sunday's does absolutely nothing to enhance the club or the individual. Playing them with the rest of the clubs junior teams on Sunday's makes complete sense. Also again, many grounds are hired out to primary schools Saturday mornings so they can play their SANFL zoned matches.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby twobob » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:19 pm

Disband SFL bring back the Glenelg South FL, spread the current SFL clubs between the GSFL, HFL and Glenelg South FL. Great league that was back in its day. A number of the current SFL clubs participated in that comp over the years.
twobob
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby Mister Footy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:42 pm

I hear SFL have called an urgent Predidebts meeting and heard rumour from a Emus contact some of the Presidents are going to force a vote on some changes to the SFL.

I'd suggest finding out where your Presidents sit on whether they want changes made and get them to make a stand. If most of the clubs demand action surely the spineless maroon coats will act - or will they sacrifice themselves for their beloved Lonsdale?

Reckon if they don't do something more clubs will be following Brighton out the door
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby vics01 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:56 pm

Understand the SFL have had a brain snap and told a club preparing to move to SAAFL they are prepared to move to 2 divisions within the next 2 years 10 clubs in Div 1 and 4 in Div 2..

Suppose the benefit of Div 2 is finals every year!!
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby marbles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:07 pm

vics01 wrote:Understand the SFL have had a brain snap and told a club preparing to move to SAAFL they are prepared to move to 2 divisions within the next 2 years 10 clubs in Div 1 and 4 in Div 2..

Suppose the benefit of Div 2 is finals every year!!

for a club like Marion who have won 10 games in 6 years, it would be an absolute betrayal to club members if the committee doesn't decide to move to div 7 and give their devoted family a chance to win matches for a change and have a non-depressing saturday night

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I played juniors in the SFL I understand it from both sides. You seem to be only taking what you want out of my broad debate and using it to benefit your opinion. Having 1 team of 9 or 10 year olds playing 1 match of juniors Saturday morning and then playing their next 7 years on Sunday's does absolutely nothing to enhance the club or the individual. Playing them with the rest of the clubs junior teams on Sunday's makes complete sense. Also again, many grounds are hired out to primary schools Saturday mornings so they can play their SANFL zoned matches.

wouldnt the parents of the children who play in the morning, just attend their games on the sunday instead? and if set up well youre cgrade boys will play satday morning and stick around to watch your bgrade and agrade

youd still have a terrific preso's

then sunday night youll have a duplicated preso's night likely bigger than saturday night, full of kids and families. your club is open non stop for 2 days - foot traffic much?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:02 pm

I personally like the idea of playing the C Grade as the twilight fixture after the A's providing you have the lights to do it. You already get the bigger crowd there for the A's and the crowd normally hangs around and it's a good, fun atmosphere. I have played in 4-5 matches including a final at Hope Valley with that set up, they were great for all clubs involved and bigger crowds hung around until the end of the C grade.
It's very difficult to consistently play club based juniors on Saturdays at SAAFL. Doing events where the boys once a year play after the A's works well, however it is difficult to do that consistently from many of the points I've already mentioned.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:28 pm

Dutchy wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:

Thats the whole point you are missing, the SFL is based on playing 5 matches on the same ground, same day. Juniors and families are then connected to the seniors, with joint presso's that night to finish the day off. Im not sure how you can;t see the benefit of that.

This is one of the issues that Brighton will no doubt debate.

Well said dutchy.
It should be the major debating point.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:23 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:No disrespect SB as I know your background in footy circles is well known and respected but your initial post was factually incorrect throughout.

-For starters there is far more clubs with juniors than 1/3. I'd go as far as saying 75-80% of 60 clubs would have either old scholar connections and at least 3 junior teams.
-Every club in the immediate area I deal with close to Kenilworth has a strong Senior/Junior connection. They get far stronger when the players hit U16's competition.

Quick question. Do you as a Senior club have any less to do with or make lesser of an effort towards your Sunday Juniors (If you have any) when compared to your Saturday Juniors?

Morning LK ,
Our Sunday programme consists of u8/u10/u12 with dual sides minimum in each which represents 140 kids that play home and away, from the clubs point of view they are a key part of the club structure not just for development of kids but net working with parents who will become part of our Saturday programme.
FYI I regularly attend Sunday fixtures or Friday night if scheduled games and have built a great relationship with both Saturday and Sunday programme.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:28 am

[quote="vics01"]Understand the SFL have had a brain snap and told a club preparing to move to SAAFL they are prepared to move to 2 divisions within the next 2 years 10 clubs in Div 1 and 4 in Div 2..

Suppose the benefit of Div 2 is finals every year!![/quote]

NO NO NO ,
No more bullshit !
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Front & Centre » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:52 am

shoe boy wrote:[quote="vics01"]Understand the SFL have had a brain snap and told a club preparing to move to SAAFL they are prepared to move to 2 divisions within the next 2 years 10 clubs in Div 1 and 4 in Div 2..

NO NO NO ,
No more bullshit ![/quote][/quote]

What would you like to see SB? For me it certainly isn't the above scenario.
Personally I don't think the SFL understand the risk they are putting the league under by not doing anything or do they think they are the only league in town?

Surely they realise there are options for all clubs to look at? It would only take another strong club to act before the vulchers descend?
MF can't be right that they are that precious about protecting Lonsdale?
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:50 am

Front & Centre wrote:
shoe boy wrote:[quote="vics01"]Understand the SFL have had a brain snap and told a club preparing to move to SAAFL they are prepared to move to 2 divisions within the next 2 years 10 clubs in Div 1 and 4 in Div 2..

NO NO NO ,
No more bullshit ![/quote][/quote][/quote]

Personally I don't think the SFL understand the risk they are putting the league under by not doing anything or do they think they are the only league in town?

Surely they realise there are options for all clubs to look at? It would only take another strong club to act before the vulchers descend?
MF can't be right that they are that precious about protecting Lonsdale?[/quote]

FC , I agree the above scenario is not acceptable if true!
Lets look at this jerk reaction if true , So again not now but in 2 years? , You keep sides that have blatantly bent the comp over for their own vested interest , 2 divisions ?who? " I don't even want to waste my time discussing this crap anymore ."

My opinion is well know with a 10 side comp with a minimum requirement of 4 sides on Saturday . 2 off the current comp sides make the decision of who goes easy Marion and M/Park who both align with the SAAFL system so let them go!!!

Other clubs that appear to be a rudderless ship need to take a serious look at where they are now and what is best for members and sponsors.

As for looking outside of the SFL we have also discussed with members this possibility !
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby marbles » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:08 pm

Imagine it, tomorrow...

Modbury vs Noarlunga tomorrow 2:15 at modbury

That be all bad?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby oneuponedown » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:55 pm

marbles wrote:Imagine it, tomorrow...

That be all bad?

With pressos starting at 8pm back at the club following!!!
oneuponedown
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby vics01 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:24 pm

Imagine it, tomorrow...

That be all bad?

Sure it would better to watch than to 35 plus goal win Shoes will have in all grades tomorrow..
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Animus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:27 pm

Round 13:

Div 4 Cheese Twisties to knock off the HFL Sharks @ Aldinga 1-39
Div 3 Bombers to win, in which is possibly their last ever game at Cove 1-39
Brighton Methodist Bushpigs to beat the Cockledivers @ Flagstaff 1-39
Emus to pillage the Vikings @ Valley 40+
Sinners comfortably over Chicken Twisties @ Marion 40+ (who's coaching Marion now?)
Shoes to post a cricket score vs the Div7 Hawks @ Noarlunga 40+
Wineys over the lionbears @ Lonsdale 40+
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Thumbs Up » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:43 am

Lets get to the point.
Marion have been well off the pace for years, have junior problems and would be more suited to the ammos.

Morphie Parks are better suited to the ammos with consideration to the juniors.

OSB/ Lonsadale combination has brought together 2 division 2 clubs which has made 1 division 2 club with facilities that are not an a attraction. It would be very questionable if there is much room for growth for this club in its current situation. Should be told by the SFL Board to look at HFL Div 2, Ammos or fold.

Hackham have shown no significant improvement for years and are within walking distance of Morphett Vale where Wirreanda HS kids are drawn to. It would be very questionable if there is much room for growth for this club in its current situation. Should be told by the SFL Board to look at HFL Div 2, Ammos or fold.

The 10 remaining teams need to field at least 4 out of 5 teams on Saturday to qualify to play in the SFL. Sunday comps for minis, double up teams and C Grade.
Its about time our Board acted like bosses and decision makers and not shoulders to cry on.

The current situation that our league is in is embarrassing and needs to be fixed.
If there was a ranking for the state country leagues where would the SFL sit on that ladder?
The SFL board should start being bosses and decision makers not shoulders to cry on.

shoe boy wrote:
Front & Centre wrote:

NO NO NO ,
No more bullshit ![/quote][/quote][/quote]

MF can't be right that they are that precious about protecting Lonsdale?[/quote][/quote][/quote]

FC , I agree the above scenario is not acceptable if true!
Lets look at this jerk reaction if true , So again not now but in 2 years? , You keep sides that have blatantly bent the comp over for their own vested interest , 2 divisions ?who? " I don't even want to waste my time discussing this crap anymore ."

My opinion is well know with a 10 side comp with a minimum requirement of 4 sides on Saturday . 2 off the current comp sides make the decision of who goes easy Marion and M/Park who both align with the SAAFL system so let them go!!!

Other clubs that appear to be a rudderless ship need to take a serious look at where they are now and what is best for members and sponsors.

As for looking outside of the SFL we have also discussed with members this possibility ![/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Thumbs Up
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL