Got a little shaky when I saw the bottom end :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Re: CH9AFL Division 6 2016

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:17 pm

It's ridiculous morell! I've been coaching sport for best part of 15 years - various ages, standards and sports - and I can honestly say that this season has been the most least enjoyable, and suddenly I find myself a month out from the end of the season struggling each week to find the motivation to continuing to go through this crap - I've lost the passion for sure.

Blokes contacting at 10:30, 11:30 pulling out just drives me insane - what I think I had 6 or 7 last week vs you? Our C grade finished the game with 14 players because I had to rape them of half their side 30min before my game and of course blokes not showing up.

I've never seen so many people that pull out because they have a runny nose FFS! I don't think I've ever missed a game with a cold in my life - shit I still rock up and take training even though I'm half dead!

Commitment levels are insanely poor - and I sit here scratching my head wondering why you wouldn't want to be chomping at the bit to be playing (talking IFFC here) if you were a player - B grade made the GF last year, A grade are going to play finals, B grade are an outside chance to qualify again - why wouldn't you want to try and play finals and have success???

Rant over.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Q. » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:33 pm

morell wrote:Image

The numbers are always good when you're winning. It's funny how the excuses disappear when you're sitting around the top of the ladder.

But yes, I feel your pain. I've pretty much put a line through me ever coaching because of everything you describe.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby zedman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:42 pm

Generation IDGAF 2.0

i have heard every excuse under the sun..many times..its just the way it is now..you either go insane with frustration or you sigh and get on with it..its the same everywhere..in saying that i do think its also about respect for your club, teammates and coaches..you either have it your dont..karma/footy gods sort it out sooner or later in some form..this week with a list of unavailables as long as my arm we did get 54 out on the track last night so im happy for small blessings..late june/july is always the nastiest period of the year for filling teams with players..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:46 pm

zedman wrote:late june/july is always the nastiest period of the year for filling teams with players..

Yeah and then come start of August if finals are on the horizon they all come out the woodwork sniffing for a game :roll:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Jetters » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:12 pm

zedman wrote:Generation IDGAF 2.0

i have heard every excuse under the sun..many times..its just the way it is now..you either go insane with frustration or you sigh and get on with it..its the same everywhere..in saying that i do think its also about respect for your club, teammates and coaches..you either have it your dont..karma/footy gods sort it out sooner or later in some form..this week with a list of unavailables as long as my arm we did get 54 out on the track last night so im happy for small blessings..late june/july is always the nastiest period of the year for filling teams with players..

There are obviously a lot of reasons why young people have shaky 'commitment' to footy, but one generational reason is young people have changed the way they connect with others. It's likely a a major reason also why drinking levels have dropped with young people. In the past you would need to join a club or go to a pub to be connected, now people are connected 100% of the time through technology. I guess the challenge is to make the connection at a footy club so meaningful that they value it more than those other things.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:16 pm

Zartan wrote:
zedman wrote:late june/july is always the nastiest period of the year for filling teams with players..

Yeah and then come start of August if finals are on the horizon they all come out the woodwork sniffing for a game :roll:

Just put the bullshit excuses in the memory bank. I'm sure there will be a time in the future at a selection meeting where it comes down to leaving one of them out it would become very easy decision. Woe me you are a prick etc will probably fly in your general direction but if they can't show respect and commitment then neither should you!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Trader » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:27 pm

morell wrote:tl;dr - commitment and consistency = wins.

Cause and effect.

Does consistency give you wins or does winning and the chance of a flag lead to more commitment?

I'd suggest it's a bit of both!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby zedman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:35 pm

Jetters wrote:

There are obviously a lot of reasons why young people have shaky 'commitment' to footy, but one generational reason is young people have changed the way they connect with others. It's likely a a major reason also why drinking levels have dropped with young people. In the past you would need to join a club or go to a pub to be connected, now people are connected 100% of the time through technology. I guess the challenge is to make the connection at a footy club so meaningful that they value it more than those other things.

quite right but i also think everybody has changed how they connect with others..not just young people..and clubs need to be savvy to that as you say..back in the day you saw your footy mates on a tuesday and thursday and then game day and then after at the club so if you wanted to chat and catch up you had to be there,..now anyone is contactable 24/7/365..

i was at our ball last weekend and i can assure you the drinking levels havent really dropped that much from 20 years ago..they just changed what they drink and perhaps how much they can hold! :)
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1079 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby leftarmoffie » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:37 pm

Zartan wrote:It's ridiculous morell! I've been coaching sport for best part of 15 years - various ages, standards and sports - and I can honestly say that this season has been the most least enjoyable, and suddenly I find myself a month out from the end of the season struggling each week to find the motivation to continuing to go through this crap - I've lost the passion for sure.

Blokes contacting at 10:30, 11:30 pulling out just drives me insane - what I think I had 6 or 7 last week vs you? Our C grade finished the game with 14 players because I had to rape them of half their side 30min before my game and of course blokes not showing up.

I've never seen so many people that pull out because they have a runny nose FFS! I don't think I've ever missed a game with a cold in my life - shit I still rock up and take training even though I'm half dead!

Commitment levels are insanely poor - and I sit here scratching my head wondering why you wouldn't want to be chomping at the bit to be playing (talking IFFC here) if you were a player - B grade made the GF last year, A grade are going to play finals, B grade are an outside chance to qualify again - why wouldn't you want to try and play finals and have success???

Rant over.

It's no differentto cricket season
leftarmoffie
Under 16s

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Yank Man » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:10 pm

zedman wrote:
Jetters wrote:

quite right but i also think everybody has changed how they connect with others..not just young people..and clubs need to be savvy to that as you say..back in the day you saw your footy mates on a tuesday and thursday and then game day and then after at the club so if you wanted to chat and catch up you had to be there,..now anyone is contactable 24/7/365..

i was at our ball last weekend and i can assure you the drinking levels havent really dropped that much from 20 years ago..they just changed what they drink and perhaps how much they can hold! :)

:D
Last edited by Yank Man on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Postby Yank Man » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:11 pm

zedman wrote:
Jetters wrote:

Nothing has changed Zed. Today a coach just has to be in tune with his players and up to date with social media. Let's be honest, in my day it was about how much grog you could hold and how much respect you had for your club to know when to go home. Today it's more about what you can take to make the alcohol last longer. I guess that's where the coach becomes a TRUE coach and mentor. Coaching today is more about knowing what is in front of you and how you deal with it. Then you can get in to teaching them footy. Thank the guy above that my time is done. :D

I just wish we could all have an open forum on the reality of the impact on drugs in footy clubs. We can all run but we can't hide. Most of it is minimal but reality is its there in our faces. I'm one that's guilty in saying ' I don't care what you do in your own time, but if I see it inside the club then you're out. Some years ago now but my ideals have changed dramatically on my views back then.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Postby Minion Master » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:46 pm

what a load of crap, doesn't matter the generation/era, plain & simple finals don't come around every day for every team. you want to play, you have to to train during the week & perform game day to be considered for selection, with 4 games left if you can't train 2 nights a week & don't make a claim to a spot in the team game day, then you miss out, no apologies, no regrets, pointy end of the season nearly here & results expected by clubs.
Minion Master
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Broughton-Mundoora

Postby Half Back Flanker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:09 am

I see Ryan Tremain is named in your team tomorrow Zartan. Massive boost to the farmers if he's fit heading in to finals. Kid can play!!!
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby carey » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:12 am

Facebook, Pokemon, 17 yo tits heaps bigger than they were 10 years ago, F**king soft society, Politically correct tree hugging f**king weirdos are all key reasons kids are getting fat and Footys F**ked.

I haven't played a game injury free since 1996, Yet these weak prick pull out case there stiff. F**k me give me a spell. Your 17 the only thing stiff should be ya old fella.

Tell a joke about a bloke sweet we all laugh same the same thing about a chick and your a pig. The worlds f**ked.

See you all in hell peace out MOFOS
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2808 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby The Bedge » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:02 pm

Half Back Flanker wrote:I see Ryan Tremain is named in your team tomorrow Zartan. Massive boost to the farmers if he's fit heading in to finals. Kid can play!!!

2nd game today, hasn't played since you were coach, started well and kicked 3 goals up forward for me, then broke his collarbone!
Poor kid really started to look like he was finding his feet again as well.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Half Back Flanker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:51 pm

Zartan wrote:
Half Back Flanker wrote:I see Ryan Tremain is named in your team tomorrow Zartan. Massive boost to the farmers if he's fit heading in to finals. Kid can play!!!

2nd game today, hasn't played since you were coach, started well and kicked 3 goals up forward for me, then broke his collarbone!
Poor kid really started to look like he was finding his feet again as well.

That sucks. That lad can definitely play. In the right head space and fit, would tear this div a new one
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:18 am

carey wrote:Facebook, Pokemon, 17 yo tits heaps bigger than they were 10 years ago, F**king soft society, Politically correct tree hugging f**king weirdos are all key reasons kids are getting fat and Footys F**ked.

I haven't played a game injury free since 1996, Yet these weak prick pull out case there stiff. F**k me give me a spell. Your 17 the only thing stiff should be ya old fella.

Tell a joke about a bloke sweet we all laugh same the same thing about a chick and your a pig. The worlds f**ked.

It probably hasn't been helped by the fact full time jobs are becoming less and less common especially in a lot of the industries 18-25 year olds are working

You get injured now or can't work Monday and that costs $100 plus dollars with no sick leave to be taken etc src

I think also that many moons ago the expected level of fitness you played with was lower, as you said you haven't played injury free in ten plus years, this also changes from sport to sport. I reckon a chart of what a player believe his fitness, injury free level should be for each sport would be something like:

Cricket- 95% fit or else a bloke will pull out
Soccer- 90% fit or else a lot these pansies won't play lol
Football- 80% fit or else they need a week off
Rugby- 50% fit, you simply don't miss games through injury... Broken ribs strap them and play
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Demon Juke » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:33 am

whufc wrote:
carey wrote:Facebook, Pokemon, 17 yo tits heaps bigger than they were 10 years ago, F**king soft society, Politically correct tree hugging f**king weirdos are all key reasons kids are getting fat and Footys F**ked.

It probably hasn't been helped by the fact full time jobs are becoming less and less common especially in a lot of the industries 18-25 year olds are working

You get injured now or can't work Monday and that costs $100 plus dollars with no sick leave to be taken etc src

I think also that many moons ago the expected level of fitness you played with was lower, as you said you haven't played injury free in ten plus years, this also changes from sport to sport. I reckon a chart of what a player believe his fitness, injury free level should be for each sport would be something like:

Rugby- 50% fit, you simply don't miss games through injury... Broken ribs strap them and play

Years ago you needed to train two nights a week to just play "B" Grade, let alone "A" Grade!!
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:46 am

Demon Juke wrote:
whufc wrote:

Years ago you needed to train two nights a week to just play "B" Grade, let alone "A" Grade!!

Exactly but years ago a lot of people worked Monday-Friday 9-5 as well, a lot of people were employees full time, it use to be acceptable to hobble around work on Monday and Tuesday because of soreness, these days a lot of employees wouldn't accept that and would be worried your going to make a compo claim

The world has changed
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League