There's a special place in hell for drivers who...

Anything!

Re: There's a special place in hell for drivers who...

Postby Grenville » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:51 pm

heater31 wrote:Driving on a Motorway in England that was 4 lanes wide on a bridge over the Themes a French registered left hand drive BMW going well above the 70mph going coast to coast across all lanes then nearly runs up the arse of a truck. Wanker!

That reminds me. South Australia has no clue how to drive on motorways........if you are not going to go anywhere near the speed limit get in the bloody left hand lanes :shock:

Driving on British motorways can be a bit hairy, I remember driving on the M1 at 10 miles over the speed limit in the rain and having trucks fly past me.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby grant j » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:17 pm

Grenville wrote:
heater31 wrote:Driving on a Motorway in England that was 4 lanes wide on a bridge over the Themes a French registered left hand drive BMW going well above the 70mph going coast to coast across all lanes then nearly runs up the arse of a truck. Wanker!

That reminds me. South Australia has no clue how to drive on motorways........if you are not going to go anywhere near the speed limit get in the bloody left hand lanes :shock:

Driving on British motorways can be a bit hairy, I remember driving on the M1 at 10 miles over the speed limit in the rain and having trucks fly past me.

Driving in the UK for the 1st time in 2011 made me realise how bad SA drivers really are.
grant j
Reserves

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:59 pm

Grenville wrote:

I've driven a total of about 2800 miles around the UK in two stints - 2011 and 2016 - and never had a problem with other drivers.

The first day in 2011, I asked a police officer at a services stop what the speed limit was because I'd seen no signs. He said, "70mph, but we never bother unless they are doing more than 82" In my experience 90mph is standard for most drivers. Once you adjust to that it all seems to go fairly well, at least outside the big cities where there is a lot to watch out for going on - and of course some isolated older villages can have very narrow roads - especially in Wales.

What was unnerving was driving in Spain this year, one, because it was my first shot at driving on the right of the road and changing a manual gearbox with the wrong hand, two, because of the very narrow roads in some towns (like Ronda), and three, because of the casual approach to road rules taken there. On the other hand I met no road rage and everyone seemed courteous and cooperative about pulling over to allow passing each other.

France seemed OK, which may have been because the French were a bit more orderly, or because I'd had 2 weeks practice in Spain first...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby heater31 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:33 pm

Psyber wrote:France seemed OK, which may have been because the French were a bit more orderly, or because I'd had 2 weeks practice in Spain first...

More orderly?

Did this include Paris? I once jumped in a taxi outside the international rail station, He didn't speak English very well and I didn't speak French very well either......showed him the address I needed on a bit of paper and he grumbled ok. The proceeded to take off through the streets of Paris like it was the final hour of the Le Mans 24! Nearly flung through the front windscreen when we finally arrived at the agreed destination from the back seat. Welcome to Paris and inside my first 20 minutes being there needing a change of underpants :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Grenville » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:50 pm

Psyber wrote:
Grenville wrote:

I've driven a total of about 2800 miles around the UK in two stints - 2011 and 2016 - and never had a problem with other drivers.

The first day in 2011, I asked a police officer at a services stop what the speed limit was because I'd seen no signs. He said, "70mph, but we never bother unless they are doing more than 82" In my experience 90mph is standard for most drivers. Once you adjust to that it all seems to go fairly well, at least outside the big cities where there is a lot to watch out for going on - and of course some isolated older villages can have very narrow roads - especially in Wales.

What was unnerving was driving in Spain this year, one, because it was my first shot at driving on the right of the road and changing a manual gearbox with the wrong hand, two, because of the very narrow roads in some towns (like Ronda), and three, because of the casual approach to road rules taken there. On the other hand I met no road rage and everyone seemed courteous and cooperative about pulling over to allow passing each other.

France seemed OK, which may have been because the French were a bit more orderly, or because I'd had 2 weeks practice in Spain first...

I may not have described that well, the other drivers weren't driving dangerously it was just a culture shock to be doing 80 miles an hour in a 1.1 litre car that had the shudders with it pissing down and trucks nonchalantly flying past. Ireland was the most courteous place I've ever driven, people let you in whenever you want and there was no such thing as road rage anywhere.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:41 am

Idiots that stop at the start of a slip lane waiting for a gap.

The Bolivar Road on to Port Wakefield Road one is the worst example of this, you have near a km to speed up and merge in but some dickwads just simply have no idea.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:02 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Idiots that stop at the start of a slip lane waiting for a gap.

The Bolivar Road on to Port Wakefield Road one is the worst example of this, you have near a km to speed up and merge in but some dickwads just simply have no idea.

Same goes for the Kesters Road to Main North Road & Elder Smith Drive to Main North Road slip lanes...

The method is simple; get into the slip lane, accelerate to the appropriate speed, and there will be a gap. It's not rocket science, is it?
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:11 pm

Tailgaters.
The increase of these drivers has been very noticeable for me as I left Australia in 2001 and returned in 2014. I swear they existed before I left, but they've bred and multiplied in the 13 years I was away. Coming down the freeway there are often more drivers tailgating within my field of vision than drivers following at a two second gap. Do they even teach the two second gap anymore?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:15 pm

...get angry at other drivers when we take 20 minutes to get anywhere.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:14 pm

therisingblues wrote:Tailgaters.
The increase of these drivers has been very noticeable for me as I left Australia in 2001 and returned in 2014. I swear they existed before I left, but they've bred and multiplied in the 13 years I was away. Coming down the freeway there are often more drivers tailgating within my field of vision than drivers following at a two second gap. Do they even teach the two second gap anymore?

Is that when you drop food?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:02 am

Who park in bike lanes during peak hour clearway times. FFS the roads are dangerous enough at that time for us poor cyclists without having to navigate morons
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:42 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Tailgaters.

Is that when you drop food?

Yes, that's right.
You have two seconds within which to crash your car, after dropping one of those overheated pies that you buy at servos these days on your lap.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dog_ger2 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Drive under the speed limit on country roads and then magically speed up once they get to an overtaking lane.

Human Nature... Funny..

Speed up to pass you, then turn in front of you only to slow down and turn left... Why?
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby Dog_ger2 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:58 pm

Drive under the speed limit on country roads and then magically speed up once they get to an overtaking lane.

Human Nature... Funny..

Speed up to pass you, then turn in front of you only to slow down and turn left... Why?
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:51 am

IF you’ve ever found yourself stuck in traffic heading east or west across the city and thought the lights are working against you — you could be right.

A new report into traffic signalling in the city has revealed that motorists travelling north-south are prioritised over those travelling east-west.

The document, prepared by Adelaide City Council administration has been described by the Lord Mayor as “good, but doesn’t say anything” while Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said there was substantial room for improvement

“When the report says they’re generally co-ordinated for north-south traffic movements — well if that’s true that ignores the huge volume of traffic that comes in from the western suburbs from Henley Beach Rd, Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Port Rd and the eastern suburbs like Wakefield Rd into Wakefield St and Bartels Rd coming into Pirie St,” Mr Mullighan said.

“So there is quite a lot we can do.”

Mr Mullighan also took aim the Adelaide City Council’s Smart Move strategy mentioned in the report, which is currently under review. The strategy prioritises pedestrian movement over cars in the city including crossing times at intersections.

He said the idea shouldn’t be applied across the city, particularly at intersections with significantly less foot traffic to those such as King William St.

“That’s obviously important to encourage people to walk around the city rather than rely on cars but that may not be the appropriate prioritisation of traffic at every intersection,” he said.

“I think because of this we’ve missed a lot of opportunities to improve how traffic flows through the city.”

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said he expected more from the administration’s report saying “it doesn’t say much”.

“Given that council administration and DPTI meet every three weeks for traffic signal improvements — I expected more from this report,” he said.

“I don’t think we’re at the bottom of this and we need to do more.”

Both Mr Mullighan and Mr Haese said that they would work together to improve signalling across the CBD and continue programs such as Operation Moving Traffic, one of the positives to come out of the report.

It revealed changes implemented earlier this year that removed pedestrian demands on Hutt St (meaning lights failed to interrupt signalling when the button is pushed) saved up to 30 per cent on travel times across the city strip.

“We’re talking a 20 or 30 per cent reduction in travel time along that one stretch of road,” Mr Mullighan said.

“That’s the sort of thing we could achieve more broadly across the city.”

The Lord Mayor agreed at looking at a citywide implementation.

“We will absolutely look at this,” Mr Haese said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 7642042284
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:37 pm

Grenville wrote: I may not have described that well, the other drivers weren't driving dangerously it was just a culture shock to be doing 80 miles an hour in a 1.1 litre car that had the shudders with it pissing down and trucks nonchalantly flying past. Ireland was the most courteous place I've ever driven, people let you in whenever you want and there was no such thing as road rage anywhere.

Yes that could be hairy if you are not used to it.

That aspect didn't bother me because I started driving in SA before we had a mandatory maximum speed outside built up areas - I think that came in sometime in the 1970s. My HK Monaro 327, bought in 1969, was capable of 125 mph and I tested it a few times. (It had a tendency to lift its nose a bit at that speed.)

My problem was adjusting to the idea I had to do less than 130kph on the SE Freeway thereafter, and so in the UK I just reverted to my former style easily enough.
(I had a 1.2 litre hire car at the time and that got up to 90 mph on the M1 but it struggled going over the Snowdens in Wales.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:25 pm

drive cars.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby MatteeG » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:00 pm

I cant really have a go as it is legal- but WHY are cars allowed to park along Unley Road and Goody Road through the day?

Pain in the backside for other motorists and cyclists.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:56 am

It's school holidays so i'm loving traffic at the minute.

However, on Monday, you may see me post a list a mile long.

Watch this space :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:58 am

Footy Chick wrote:It's school holidays so i'm loving traffic at the minute.

However, on Monday, you may see me post a list a mile long.

Watch this space :lol:

A mile long? That'll take far too long to cover in that traffic. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion