R16 - Port v WWT Eagles @ Alberton

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R16 - Port v WWT Eagles @ Alberton

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Or if it's gluten free he'd have to eat 6 to get the same fix...
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:53 pm

human_torpedo wrote:Probably not far off the mark really. But he has certainly made the most of his SANFL career. To be honest im just sick of hearing the some old abuse each week directed at him, some of what I saw yesterday was nothing short of disgraceful. You cant target someone for their sexuality, race or mental health issues (all of which I agree with btw) but you can hurl as much abuse for someone being overweight just because they are playing football. Its pathetic. Even more pathetic was when challenged about it by an Eagles players parent the bloke went to water and folded like a deck of cards. The type of hero who can spray someone whilst protected by a fence. Disgraceful

If I were you h_t I wouldn't worry about it, and instead point to (a) his record and (b) the scoreboard, which more often than not has the Eagles in front. Winners are grinners. By the way, keep in mind he's only overweight in a match fitness/footy sense. Plenty of properly fat people on the other side of the fence who've achieved a lot less in life than Wundke has.

If I could support a successful side with a Ken Farmer medalist (oh, dare to dream!!) I'd just laugh off the 'abuse'. I can't speak for the big fella (oops!) but I'd be surprised if he gave a stuff because I assume he's in a position to do something about it. I could be wrong, though.

I'll admit I've cracked the pie gag at him in the past/last week, but that's only because I'm jealous (and pathetic ;) ), I know he's a great full forward, and would really like to have him (back) at Prospect.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:06 pm

Magellan wrote:If I could support a successful side with a Ken Farmer medalist (oh, dare to dream!!) I'd just laugh off the 'abuse'. I can't speak for the big fella (oops!) but I'd be surprised if he gave a stuff because I assume he's in a position to do something about it. I could be wrong, though.

Johnny Roberts back for 2017?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Magellan wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:Probably not far off the mark really. But he has certainly made the most of his SANFL career. To be honest im just sick of hearing the some old abuse each week directed at him, some of what I saw yesterday was nothing short of disgraceful. You cant target someone for their sexuality, race or mental health issues (all of which I agree with btw) but you can hurl as much abuse for someone being overweight just because they are playing football. Its pathetic. Even more pathetic was when challenged about it by an Eagles players parent the bloke went to water and folded like a deck of cards. The type of hero who can spray someone whilst protected by a fence. Disgraceful

If I were you h_t I wouldn't worry about it, and instead point to (a) his record and (b) the scoreboard, which more often than not has the Eagles in front. Winners are grinners. By the way, keep in mind he's only overweight in a match fitness/footy sense. Plenty of properly fat people on the other side of the fence who've achieved a lot less in life than Wundke has.

If I could support a successful side with a Ken Farmer medalist (oh, dare to dream!!) I'd just laugh off the 'abuse'. I can't speak for the big fella (oops!) but I'd be surprised if he gave a stuff because I assume he's in a position to do something about it. I could be wrong, though.

I'll admit I've cracked the pie gag at him in the past/last week, but that's only because I'm jealous (and pathetic ;) ), I know he's a great full forward, and would really like to have him (back) at Prospect.

:lol:

My glass house kept me from getting in on the offer of pastry based products.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby saintal » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:17 pm

Wundke's got nothing on the greatest full forward of all time as far as stomach girth goes. Different times now.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:42 pm

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:If I could support a successful side with a Ken Farmer medalist (oh, dare to dream!!) I'd just laugh off the 'abuse'. I can't speak for the big fella (oops!) but I'd be surprised if he gave a stuff because I assume he's in a position to do something about it. I could be wrong, though.

Johnny Roberts back for 2017?

Where do I sign him up? With Grenville in the pocket for good (waistline) measure. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:45 pm

saintal wrote:Wundke's got nothing on the greatest full forward of all time as far as stomach girth goes. Different times now.

I dunno, Ken Farmer kept a pretty trim profile. ;)
Magellan
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:21 pm

Actually, I wonder what the all time best overweight side would look like? And what criteria would we use to choose it? E.g. Rick Davies was slim as a younger fella, but put the kilos on toward the end of his career. Would he be deserving of a Guernsey in the all time greatest fat blokes team?
Old Grenville would be a shoe in at full forward. Never seen so many kilos get so high off the ground. I think we'd stick Craig Balme at full back, he was well padded from memory
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Can't really put one together, not many blokes were very well defined through the 70's and 80's, the ones who were like that were the exception not the rule.

If you do though, Greg Phillips is CHB.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:29 pm

therisingblues wrote:Actually, I wonder what the all time best overweight side would look like? And what criteria would we use to choose it? E.g. Rick Davies was slim as a younger fella, but put the kilos on toward the end of his career. Would he be deserving of a Guernsey in the all time greatest fat blokes team?
Old Grenville would be a shoe in at full forward. Never seen so many kilos get so high off the ground. I think we'd stick Craig Balme at full back, he was well padded from memory

Back in the day Dennis Sachse was a big fella (from what I'm told and the pics I've seen), would be up for a spot.

Damien Cupido is a more recent candidate.
Magellan
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:07 pm

Magellan wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Actually, I wonder what the all time best overweight side would look like? And what criteria would we use to choose it? E.g. Rick Davies was slim as a younger fella, but put the kilos on toward the end of his career. Would he be deserving of a Guernsey in the all time greatest fat blokes team?

Back in the day Dennis Sachse was a big fella (from what I'm told and the pics I've seen), would be up for a spot.

Damien Cupido is a more recent candidate.

Probably this post should be in the History section but a few observations.

Big Dennis actually wasn't that big in the stomach area. He was huge in the backside and thighs and would certainly make an overweight side. He was a magnificent mark. Garry Jones from Central was a bit similar.

From the 1960s two Magarey Medallists in a row, Ron Kneebone and Bubbles Obst were shall we say "barrel chested". They were both very strong men and great footballers but would not pass today's skin fold tests. In the mid 1960s Dick Jackson from South and Reggie Beaufoy from Port had a few great clashes which unkind supporters used to refer to as the "battle of the elephants". They both could really play and both sadly left us whilst still quite young.

Peter Darley certainly carried weight later in his career as did the "pocket battleship", Barrie Barbary.

I think "Blossom" Blagrove from Port's golden era in the 1950s was another player who would have been in strife with skin folds but I only have very vague memories of him. I hope that I am not being libellous towards him.

Wilbur Wilson would never have passed a skin fold test either and Kerry "Bomber" Hamilton was inclined to easily put on weight.

Later in their careers the Jarman brothers certainly carried weight. It didn't affect their performance too much.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:49 pm

Gotta be Peter 'Super' Carey in the Ruck. What a master he was, the way he used that big frame in the Ruck contests. Even towards the end of his career he was still a force.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby wedgetail » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:54 pm

So long as Wundke keeps kicking goals, no problem with his weight.
Power reserves too good on Sunday, will cause some damage IF they make the finals and IF they play that way and not some of the other rubbish they have been dishing up earlier.
A challenging 2 weeks for the Eags with Crows and Sturt at home.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby wedgetail » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:54 pm

So long as Wundke keeps kicking goals, no problem with his weight.
Power reserves too good on Sunday, will cause some damage IF they make the finals and IF they play that way and not some of the other rubbish they have been dishing up earlier.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Mickyj » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:47 am

wedgetail wrote:So long as Wundke keeps kicking goals, no problem with his weight.

I find its normally sides the Eagles have beaten that the fans start on Wundkes weight .
That's after he kicks 6 goals
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:53 am

Well he didn't kick 6 on the weekend. ;)

Always fun beating the Woodviile West Torrens Eagles Peckers Warriors. They don't handle losing too well for two clubs who did a lot of it over the years.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:59 am

Booney wrote:Always fun beating the Woodviile West Torrens Eagles Peckers Warriors. They don't handle losing too well for two clubs who did a lot of it over the years.

Eagles fans must have some very good and very long memories. Perhaps they should be renamed the Elephants. ;)
Magellan
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:46 am

Booney wrote:Well he didn't kick 6 on the weekend. ;)

Always fun beating the Woodviile West Torrens Eagles Peckers Warriors. They don't handle losing too well for two clubs who did a lot of it over the years.

Yep we have memories cause port Adelaide fans always used to rub it in our faces evey week we lost .
See the magpies in the finals
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Been liked: 22 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:21 pm

Booney losing his touch. Hardly got a bite. We all know Port don't exist any more mate, better try some better bait!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Mickyj » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:05 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Booney losing his touch. Hardly got a bite. We all know Port don't exist any more mate, better try some better bait!

regards,

REB

Two sides one Port Adelaide two different jumpers no zone
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach