North Melbourne

Talk on the national game

Re: North Melbourne 2016

by Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Booney wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Boomer Harvey set to go past Michael Tuck's game record of 426 in round 19 this season. Harvey will play game 427 against the Saints on July 30th. A great achievement from Boomer. Will he go on next season.... and if so where will the bar be set, can he get to 450 games??

I think he'll go on next year but I don't think it's the best thing for the Kangaroos.

With Harvey 38, Petrie and Waite 33, Firrito and Dal Santo 32, Wells 31, Ray, Thompson and Gibson 30 and with Swallow, Nahas, Thomas, Higgins and Goldstein all over 29 next year they've got an old list. Who of those will pull the pin though?

Petrie looks cooked, Firrito looks the only other likely retiree. So they might have 12 over or nearing 30 on their list next year.

Love how we cop so much schtick for our long term contracts when this nursing home group has gone backwards. :lol:

It's all list management and this list is going nowhere fast.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

by Dutchy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Gone backwards?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

by Brodlach » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:12 pm

Top 4 last couple of years and will be lucky to hang on in the 8 this year.....yep gone backwards
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

by Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Dutchy wrote:Gone backwards?

You won't finish top 4 this year, you've got at least 3 over 30's to retire and perhaps another 3-4 next year. 2nd oldest list in the league.

No Rising Start nominee since Luke McDonald in 2014. Only 2 debutants this year, Wagner ( last years pick 43 ) and Ryan Clarke ( pick 31 ).

Brought in Waite (33), Dal Santo (31) Higgins (29 in March ) into the side in the last 3 years. Your last two first round draftees haven't played yet.

That's not going forwards.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

by marbles » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:05 pm

i would really like to see Brad Scott go back and coach the Brisbane Lions next season

its craig hutchinsons idea, but i too think that would be a great thing for football

north have had numerous good chapters, got quite close, but are now looking at a small rebuild and a new coach would be good for that for the long term 3 and 4 seasons to come
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

by Spangas » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:12 pm

marbles wrote:i would really like to see Brad Scott go back and coach the Brisbane Lions next season

its craig hutchinsons idea, but i too think that would be a great thing for football

Certainly wouldn't hurt.
I think my 90 year old grandmother would get better results out of that playing group than Leppitsch.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

by Booney » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:20 pm

Spangas wrote:
marbles wrote:i would really like to see Brad Scott go back and coach the Brisbane Lions next season

Certainly wouldn't hurt.
I think my 90 year old grandmother would get better results out of that playing group than Leppitsch.

It's not just the results, which obviously hurt, but Leppa looks like a broken man. He broke a little on the weekend when he dropped in two lots of "bullshit" in his presser, whilst what he said might be accurate it's unprofessional and a sign he's running out of answers.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

by Jim05 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:34 pm

north have had numerous good chapters, got quite close, but are now looking at a small rebuild and a new coach would be good for that for the long term 3 and 4 seasons to come

Extended his contract until end of 2018 not long ago. North couldn't afford to pay him out
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

by Bum Crack » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:43 pm

Booney wrote:

You won't finish top 4 this year, you've got at least 3 over 30's to retire and perhaps another 3-4 next year. 2nd oldest list in the league.

No Rising Start nominee since Luke McDonald in 2014. Only 2 debutants this year, Wagner ( last years pick 43 ) and Ryan Clarke ( pick 31 ).

Brought in Waite (33), Dal Santo (31) Higgins (29 in March ) into the side in the last 3 years. Your last two first round draftees haven't played yet.

Top 4?? They won't even finish Top 8
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

by stan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Booney wrote:

You seem to have a point boon. However North haven't given away draft picks for those guysm they have still had there first round picks in the last few years. You guys have paid plenty for Dixon and Ryder.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

by Dutchy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:26 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Extended his contract until end of 2018 not long ago. North couldn't afford to pay him out

Why not?
Dutchy
Site Admin

by Jim05 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Why not?

Whilst they have turned their finances around quite a bit I still don't believe they would have a spare $700k plus floating around.
Jim05
Coach

by Dutchy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:36 pm

Booney wrote:

This is a team that won 9 on a trot this season,

Remember Port in 2014? Won 12 out of 13, then lost 6 of the next 7, nearly made the GF.

Id prefer to judge at the end of the season, same thing was said the last 2 years and made the Prelim both years.
Dutchy
Site Admin

by Jim05 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:54 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

This is a team that won 9 on a trot this season,

Remember Port in 2014? Won 12 out of 13, then lost 6 of the next 7, nearly made the GF.

Id prefer to judge at the end of the season, same thing was said the last 2 years and made the Prelim both years.

In that 9-0 run to start the season you had a good win against the Crows in round 1 and a good win against the Dogs in round 6 or 7.
The other 7 wins were against the dregs of the comp. I still think you will scrape in but would be surprised if you went much further than the first week, next fortnight crucial as can't see you winning any after that
Jim05
Coach

by Jase » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:11 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Why not?

Whilst they have turned their finances around quite a bit I still don't believe they would have a spare $700k plus floating around.

Why would they have to pay him out at all...

If he leaves the club before the end of his contract to take up another role then surely NM would be actually receiving some compensation not paying any out...

Though if the AFL want him up in Brisbane they'll throw money at everyone to make it happen...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1479 times
Been liked: 551 times

by Jim05 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Jase wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:[quote="marbles"]i would really like to see Brad Scott go back and coach the Brisbane Lions next season

Why not?

Why would they have to pay him out at all...

If he leaves the club before the end of his contract to take up another role then surely NM would be actually receiving some compensation not paying any out...

Though if the AFL want him up in Brisbane they'll throw money at everyone to make it happen...[/quote]
I thought he meant sack Scott not Scott leave to go to Brisbane.
Jim05
Coach

by Jase » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:15 pm

Im confused... all those Scott brothers look the same to me...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1479 times
Been liked: 551 times

by Stumps » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Jase wrote:Im confused... all those Scott brothers look the same to me...

Don's the tall one
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

by marbles » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:02 am

Pretty funny if ya go 9 zip then dont even make finals

Port look like they should win at least 3 more games and north may not win any? But they should beat Collingwood this week?

Didnt port win a heap on the trot last year to just miss out on finals and it only happened after they brought the xfactor john butcher in

Could be the way if dixon doesnt play

Brad scott always looks like his brother just beat him up and he is gonna cry anytime soon to his mummy cos chris always wins - thats how i split them up
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

by Grahaml » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:12 am

stan wrote:
Booney wrote:

You seem to have a point boon. However North haven't given away draft picks for those guysm they have still had there first round picks in the last few years. You guys have paid plenty for Dixon and Ryder.

Big difference between picking up blokes in their late 20s/early 30s and picking up blokes in their mid 20s. Especially when you're talking about key forwards or ruckmen. If things went awry and Port needed to rebuild their list a bit, Dixon in particular could still be a part of that. Bringing in blokes like Waite et all are a one shot deal. They either make the difference or hurt your next push.

FWIW I don't blame North at all. Prelims 2 years running gives you every right to feel close to a flag and you take that while you can. But the reality is it looks to have failed and so there's little choice but to run a line through some of those guys unless something changes in the next couple of months.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL