New Clubs for 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: New Clubs for 2017

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I've recently heard talk a Gawler club is thinking about joining SAAFL.

Gawler Central??
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:02 pm

human_torpedo wrote:We are an Old Scholars club - No juniors. No Netball. We operate on $0 playing budget and would be so far from competitive in that league it wouldn't be funny.. Some contributing factors

So you should see what Hackham are trying to achieve then? very similar predicament to you, expect you are in the league that suits your needs.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3507 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:05 pm

human_torpedo wrote:Its a ridiculous discussion to even have.. SFL bloke just trying to shuffle their sh!t onto another league and kicking up a stink when the league knock them back

Please show me where I've said that?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:07 pm

I can see why Hackham would want to join. I said I can see why the league don't want to accommodate them at this stage. They aren't the right fit for the league in its current structure
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:10 pm

whufc wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I've recently heard talk a Gawler club is thinking about joining SAAFL.

Gawler Central??

Nah, I was just joking. Wanted to see if any heads exploded ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Old_mate21 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:10 pm

I think Dutchy is right about wouldn't we rather see a club keeps its doors open next year and play in a division where they would be competitive. yeah they may have off-field issues but no more than other clubs and if they were in a comp where they were a chance most weeks that could help change the culture of the place. Everyone is complaining about travel times etc but shouldn't all the clubs in div 6 be striving to move up the grades anyway and not think that they would be travelling that distance every year.
Old_mate21
Rookie

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby marbles » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:12 pm

Old_mate21 wrote:I think Dutchy is right about wouldn't we rather see a club keeps its doors open next year and play in a division where they would be competitive. yeah they may have off-field issues but no more than other clubs and if they were in a comp where they were a chance most weeks that could help change the culture of the place. Everyone is complaining about travel times etc but shouldn't all the clubs in div 6 be striving to move up the grades anyway and not think that they would be travelling that distance every year.

id rather drive to hackham, than to houghton trinity or eastern park :D
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Old_mate21 wrote:I think Dutchy is right about wouldn't we rather see a club keeps its doors open next year and play in a division where they would be competitive. yeah they may have off-field issues but no more than other clubs and if they were in a comp where they were a chance most weeks that could help change the culture of the place. Everyone is complaining about travel times etc but shouldn't all the clubs in div 6 be striving to move up the grades anyway and not think that they would be travelling that distance every year.

Maybe they can play Hills league then
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4005 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:17 pm

marbles wrote:

Off you go then, don't get lost ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Off you go then, don't get lost ;)

but if you did get lost, that would be fine also ;) :D
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4005 times

Postby marbles » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:22 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
marbles wrote:

Off you go then, don't get lost ;)

better pingas down there :)
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:26 pm

I haven't heard anyone disagree that Edwardstown's and MVPFC's move to the SAAFL isn't the right thing for their clubs, they didn't add much value to the SFL in their current form and the SAAFL is a good match for them.

Same with Hackham, yet they get denied, there is little difference between the 3 clubs IMO.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Trader » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:36 pm

The SAAFL have spent a lot of time and effort over the last 5 years clearing out the riff raff.
To add Hackham now, with discipline issues and problems with player numbers would be welcoming another problem to deal with.

Very logical for the SAAFL to say no thanks.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Dutchy wrote:I haven't heard anyone disagree that Edwardstown's and MVPFC's move to the SAAFL isn't the right thing for their clubs, they didn't add much value to the SFL in their current form and the SAAFL is a good match for them.

Same with Hackham, yet they get denied, there is little difference between the 3 clubs IMO.

The difference is that Smackham have a long history of poor discipline. In addition to the on field incident last year was the off field incident involving an AFL coach. IMO I'd be surprised if any SFL player or official would provide a positive reference for the club. Plus, the SAAFL run a much tighter tribunal system IMO. The SAAFL could not afford the overtime costs for thr tribunal and Hackham may not be able to fill the team sheets due to suspensions :D
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:I haven't heard anyone disagree that Edwardstown's and MVPFC's move to the SAAFL isn't the right thing for their clubs, they didn't add much value to the SFL in their current form and the SAAFL is a good match for them.

Only about 20 kms and about 10 goals (minimum) :D
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:

The difference is that Smackham have a long history of poor discipline. In addition to the on field incident last year was the off field incident involving an AFL coach. IMO I'd be surprised if any SFL player or official would provide a positive reference for the club. Plus, the SAAFL run a much tighter tribunal system IMO. The SAAFL could not afford the overtime costs for thr tribunal and Hackham may not be able to fill the team sheets due to suspensions :D

Agree it isn't perfect, but look at recent issues at Rosewater and Gepps Cross, find it hard to swallow that the SAAFL are being the moral police here
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Esteban Vihaio wrote:

Agree it isn't perfect, but look at recent issues at Rosewater and Gepps Cross, find it hard to swallow that the SAAFL are being the moral police here

Do you keep digging when you are in a hole?
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:45 pm

Start digging up Chief.. Given recent issues the SAAFL have been dealing with, why would they let in another potential problem? Why take on that burden when they have no obligation to? If you cant work that out then all hope is lost for you Dutchy..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 371 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:It wasn't Marion who were rejected and Marbles is off his Marbles because charging at the gate has nothing to do with it. I think all SFL clubs understand that gate charges are not permitted in the SAAFL other than finals. The money that Marion and Brighton make on their gates would not be a factor in deciding to change leagues.

My understanding is that the rejected club may have been for various reasons in which one was concerns over the clubs on-field disciplinary record. Probably a bit harsh but some media coverage of an incident late last year wouldn't have helped.

For what its worth. The Brighton SGM notice posted above has been amended since first released. The vote to change leagues requires a 50% plus 1 majority. There was some initial confusion due to some elements of the clubs constitution that require a 75% majority.

Ive never seen Brighton collect on the gates in recent years anyway DTH?

So 50% to 75% now back to 50%?

One would think they will get more than 50%, what is the general feel DTH?

The local Rotary club do our gates Dutchy, on a split system so we make a few dollars and do our bit for charity similar to what Marion appear to do with Lions. We certainly budget each year for some income from gate takings but this is only a drop in the ocean for the overall cost of running our club. We only operate the gates from 11am so you may have arrived earlier in your previous visits to Brighton. But when you come here in a few weeks I would be happy to hunt you down for $5 even if you arrive earlier than 11am. I would prefer not to comment on the likelihood of us moving. That is best left to the vote on 2 August.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Fair enough, thats why I haven't seen anyone on the gates
Dutchy
Site Admin