Drugs, umps and other ammo's news

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Drugs, umps and other ammo's news

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:55 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:I have decided I'm against the banning of Rosewater.

Not many people have mentioned that this decision is punishing 60 odd entirely innocent players and officials.

The justification for punishing innocent people seems to be either based on some notion that they have a collective responsibility for the actions of other players, or that the end(protecting umpires) justifies the means.

Sometimes bad things happen. You can't prevent everything. How Rosewater could have reasonably foreseen this or prevented it is beyond me. How far is the concept of collective responsibility to go? Should we sack the CEO of the league for not preventing it?

Given how rarely umpires are assaulted is the club ban going to deter others anymore than the 20 year individual ban? We must remember that the vast majority of people wouldn't assault umpires anyway. They don't need a deterrent to prevent them assaulting them. Is a club ban going to deter the very small subset of people who would contemplate hitting an umpire. Are they thinking rationally at the time of hitting an umpire such that a deterrent might work or have they lost the plot?

My concern is that punishing the entire club does not achieve anything in this instance. It won't protect umpires any more than punishing the individual. I am concerned that the penalty was driven by the desire to appear tough rather than to actually achieve anything.

It's also important to distinguish between putting a club on a good behaviour bond and punishing them after the fact. The former is far more likely to have some prev

Do you think the League is liking the limelight a bit too much? Seems any opportunity to grab a headline they take with both hands. I totally agree with you regarding punishing the club in this case and any other club that loses points etc etc because of the behaviour of an individual.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Lame Choice » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:06 pm

Thought some of the umpiring in the Walkies/Flinders Ressies was a bit one eyed :)
Too soon?
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:12 pm

Big Shrek brings up some good points, in retrospect maybe they should have just taken all their points away and allowed footballers that have done nothing wrong the chance to still play to the end of the season?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2024 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:15 pm

Lame Choice wrote:Thought some of the umpiring in the Walkies/Flinders Ressies was a bit one eyed :)
Too soon?

Very funny!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:40 pm

Wedgie wrote:Big Shrek brings up some good points, in retrospect maybe they should have just taken all their points away and allowed footballers that have done nothing wrong the chance to still play to the end of the season?

Think the League were worried if they just took points off them, therefore making them unable to play finals, then anything could have happened in the last three games. Don't think this decision was made just because of the umpire assault, Rosewater were on their final warning, and the list of offences over the last two years is huge, worse than what was listed.

The League made the right call and can only really feel sorry for Elizabeth (and Lockleys next week) who miss out on big days they had planned.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby Footy Chick » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:20 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Do you think the League is liking the limelight a bit too much? Seems any opportunity to grab a headline they take with both hands. I totally agree with you regarding punishing the club in this case and any other club that loses points etc etc because of the behaviour of an individual.

Yeah... . the league is just overjoyed with all the attention about 2 drug sagas and an ump being smacked :roll:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:57 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Do you think the League is liking the limelight a bit too much? Seems any opportunity to grab a headline they take with both hands. I totally agree with you regarding punishing the club in this case and any other club that loses points etc etc because of the behaviour of an individual.

Yeah... . the league is just overjoyed with all the attention about 2 drug sagas and an ump being smacked :roll:

Not talking about the drugs, they have no control over that, but the stripping of points they do. 100% of other leagues in the state dont feel the need to strip points off clubs as a result of an individuals behaviour. Seems to me they're on a power trip probably festered by their close relationship with the CFL
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby heater31 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:03 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Not talking about the drugs, they have no control over that, but the stripping of points they do. 100% of other leagues in the state dont feel the need to strip points off clubs as a result of an individuals behaviour. Seems to me they're on a power trip probably festered by their close relationship with the CFL

Years ago before the league cleaned up the thugs they would move clubs if they created too many enemies in the division you are playing in. Smaller Country leagues you can't just move clubs as more often then not you would front up against your 'old club' the next season if a rival club was prepared to take you and your baggage on. The only way to clean this up is to punish the clubs for not controlling their players and banning the culprits for life.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:12 pm

So what you are saying is club loyalty has gone out the window and the league is trying to manufacture some sort of loyalty to that club for the time they are there. But as players are not loyal anymore it makes it hard for their current club to keep them in line.
Obviously has nothing to do with the 300 gamer but in general.
Would be interested to know of the clubs that have lost points or been put on notice what is the playing history of the players that have transgressed? Are they one club players or mercenaries?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:54 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Big Shrek brings up some good points, in retrospect maybe they should have just taken all their points away and allowed footballers that have done nothing wrong the chance to still play to the end of the season?

Think the League were worried if they just took points off them, therefore making them unable to play finals, then anything could have happened in the last three games. Don't think this decision was made just because of the umpire assault, Rosewater were on their final warning, and the list of offences over the last two years is huge, worse than what was listed.

The League made the right call and can only really feel sorry for Elizabeth (and Lockleys next week) who miss out on big days they had planned.

Get a clue. There is a reason Glenunga, Eliz and Lockleys chose to have these days against Rosewater. It is because we bring supporters. They had no concern about our behaviour.
And we had no warning
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:08 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Get a clue. There is a reason Glenunga, Eliz and Lockleys chose to have these days against Rosewater. It is because we bring supporters. They had no concern about our behaviour.
And we had no warning

Got plenty of clue Beefy! Not the behaviour off the field that's the problem. On field record over last two years has been a disgrace, and you were on final notice. Salisbury North lost 8 points which could cost them finals in Div 1 because they could not control their players, the fact a player refused to leave the ground in the third quarter last week after what happened in the first quarter, this just shows players at Rosewater needed to be sent this message as they obviously cannot be controlled.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby The Big Shrek » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:15 pm

Sometimes you cant control your teammates. I often tell people not to do things they do. You're from Henley? Why don't you stop people behaving in a manner so that rape allegations are made?
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:23 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:Sometimes you cant control your teammates. I often tell people not to do things they do. You're from Henley? Why don't you stop people behaving in a manner so that rape allegations are made?

Have no involvement with Henley, so not sure what that comment means. But stand by the comment clubs are responsible for all their players and what they do on the field, the fact Rosewater had a rap sheet that long shows they needed drastic action taken to make them realise. Get rid of those players, simple!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:49 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:Sometimes you cant control your teammates. I often tell people not to do things they do. You're from Henley? Why don't you stop people behaving in a manner so that rape allegations are made?

Have no involvement with Henley, so not sure what that comment means. But stand by the comment clubs are responsible for all their players and what they do on the field, the fact Rosewater had a rap sheet that long shows they needed drastic action taken to make them realise. Get rid of those players, simple!

Did any player have more than one offence? Where they meant to get rid of a 300 game player and guess he would hit an umpire?
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:05 am

The Big Shrek wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Did any player have more than one offence? Where they meant to get rid of a 300 game player and guess he would hit an umpire?

Not sure if any player had multiple offences. But after the fourth report, or the sixth, or the eighth - surely the Club has to take responsibility and sit everyone down and lay down the law. I think even they acknowledge they shoud have been stronger.

And nobody could have expected a player would have hit an umpire, but again, the club says they should have done more. Took action over incident in club rooms by banning for four weeks, but had little effect in the end.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:36 am

Should have done more: the catch cry of those who don't know what more is.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:05 pm

I take it all back after the latest happenings. Rosewater not doing themselves any favours.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2024 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby carey » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:07 pm

Wedgie wrote:I take it all back after the latest happenings. Rosewater not doing themselves any favours.

?????????????
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Robb_Stark » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:17 pm

Will only make things worse by posting that picture it also will be on channel 9 tonight nice group photo from a bunch of morons
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:39 pm

This is the culprit! Agree not the smartest thing but I can certainly understand how they feel.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (129.67 KiB) Viewed 432 times
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League