Amateur League Looking at taking over Junior Football

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Amateur League Looking at taking over Junior Football

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:18 am

whufc wrote:I don't mind games being called off in those conditions for the young juniors but do think there probably needs to be some rules and regulations around itThere is a weather policy, mostly around hot weather - generally inclement weather you play on unless there is a serious safety risk (Major storms, heavy rain, flooding etc.) I'm all for playing in the rain - winter sport after all - but yesterday was beyond just rain. Interesting too that there is a rule (not sure if club or assoc.) where we aren't allowed to train the lads if it's bucketing down...

Situations might arise where a team has been 'losing' (I know no scores are kept) most weeks and kids are struggling to get kicks coz there team doesn't get the ball much, they then come up against a team they are even with and their kids will get a few kicks maybe a few goals etc and the game is called offThis could be an issue for sure, its up to the coach to encourage these kids through in those situations and keep them up beat. I managed to get my boys through the 1st quarter with difficulty but got there, and we have played plenty of games in the cold or in the rain and been pumped - but we soldier on.

The other question is where does it stop, when we were kids we played through everything, now we call games off in freezing conditions (which I think is fine) will the next generation get called off the second it stops raining etc Nah I think some common sense prevails - playing in rain is fine, playing when it's cold is fine.. playing when it's so windy and ice cold that you cant feel parts of your body (myself included) and the rain is coming down so heavy and is so cold it's almost like hail then I think you've got to seriously question the value in continuing on - especially at that age where it's about participation not winning.

I remember playing a couple of junior games which no doubt should have been called off and like I said while I'm for games to be called off in freezing conditions like yesterday there probably needs to be some clearer rules and regulations that means volunteer coaches don't need to negotiate calling of a game as rules are in place I don't recall having games called off either - but I also don't recall too many if any days as bad as yesterday morning either.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 4000 times

Postby S Demon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:27 am

Our U7 game was called off at quarter time. Common sense prevailed. Although our coach was keen to continue in hope that the weather passed over, the opposition had already made up their mind and their kids began to leave. I have no issue with that and my own lad was relieved when we made a dash to the car for shelter and warmth

Seeing young kids shaking with blue hands and lips and tears in their eyes isn't fun for anyone
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:59 am

Zartan wrote:
whufc wrote:I don't mind games being called off in those conditions for the young juniors but do think there probably needs to be some rules and regulations around itThere is a weather policy, mostly around hot weather - generally inclement weather you play on unless there is a serious safety risk (Major storms, heavy rain, flooding etc.) I'm all for playing in the rain - winter sport after all - but yesterday was beyond just rain. Interesting too that there is a rule (not sure if club or assoc.) where we aren't allowed to train the lads if it's bucketing down...

Situations might arise where a team has been 'losing' (I know no scores are kept) most weeks and kids are struggling to get kicks coz there team doesn't get the ball much, they then come up against a team they are even with and their kids will get a few kicks maybe a few goals etc and the game is called offThis could be an issue for sure, its up to the coach to encourage these kids through in those situations and keep them up beat. I managed to get my boys through the 1st quarter with difficulty but got there, and we have played plenty of games in the cold or in the rain and been pumped - but we soldier on.

The other question is where does it stop, when we were kids we played through everything, now we call games off in freezing conditions (which I think is fine) will the next generation get called off the second it stops raining etc Nah I think some common sense prevails - playing in rain is fine, playing when it's cold is fine.. playing when it's so windy and ice cold that you cant feel parts of your body (myself included) and the rain is coming down so heavy and is so cold it's almost like hail then I think you've got to seriously question the value in continuing on - especially at that age where it's about participation not winning.

I remember playing a couple of junior games which no doubt should have been called off and like I said while I'm for games to be called off in freezing conditions like yesterday there probably needs to be some clearer rules and regulations that means volunteer coaches don't need to negotiate calling of a game as rules are in place I don't recall having games called off either - but I also don't recall too many if any days as bad as yesterday morning either.

I agree with everything you say I just feel there should be some solid rules and regulations around cold wet etc weather to back up guys like you who are trying to use common sense which obviously isn't so common

You don't have to have to wild an imagination to see how an small incident like yesterday get could really out of hand if a calme coache like yourself wasn't involved
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:30 am

I was at a ground with 2 Under 10 games on yesterday, playing at the same time, one game the coaches agreed to stop the game at half time, the other game continued on (with no kids being forced to play, they reduced it to a 9 a side game)....just need reasonable level headed coaches and sensible decisions get made. Sadly some clubs just appoint coaches cause they put their hands up, instead of making sure they are the right person.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2323 times
Been liked: 3497 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:54 am

Dutchy wrote:I was at a ground with 2 Under 10 games on yesterday, playing at the same time, one game the coaches agreed to stop the game at half time, the other game continued on (with no kids being forced to play, they reduced it to a 9 a side game)....just need reasonable level headed coaches and sensible decisions get made. Sadly some clubs just appoint coaches cause they put their hands up, instead of making sure they are the right person.

That's perfect.

Can't have rules that cover it because it's not like hot weather where there is a definitive temperature cut off that covers all venues. With wet, cold, windy conditions there will always be a level of subjectivity and each oval will dish up different conditions.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Arch44 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Bit different to the old days now isn't it?! I remember playing u/9s at Wingfield when it was freezing and we were given a shot of port out of a hip flask at quarter time to warm us up!!
I don't condone that at all by the way, and agree with Zartan.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Arch44 wrote:Bit different to the old days now isn't it?! I remember playing u/9s at Wingfield when it was freezing and we were given a shot of port out of a hip flask at quarter time to warm us up!!

Cant believe they let you play U9s when you were 22 :D
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 4000 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Zartan wrote:
Arch44 wrote:Bit different to the old days now isn't it?! I remember playing u/9s at Wingfield when it was freezing and we were given a shot of port out of a hip flask at quarter time to warm us up!!

Cant believe they let you play U9s when you were 22 :D

Well, when you're still in year 4, it's only fair. It's not his fault they kept him back...eight or nine times ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:00 pm

:lol:

Chuck some trackies and a long sleeve on the little buggers and let them run around in the mud. ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Some of my best footy memories are from freezing cold, wet days.
I remember playing at Eastern Park at 10 in the morning in under 12s, with the oval pooled with water and I kicked a goal from just outside the centre square because the ball aquaplaned past everyone. That was a horrible but fun day - I'd just got back from the Gold Coast at about 2am that morning, too, quite the contrast in conditions.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Footy Chick wrote:

Chuck some trackies and a long sleeve on the little buggers and let them run around in the mud. ;)

I did that once - guernsey/shorts over the top (club colour blue). I had a flu and we were short. The opposition complained heartily. lol
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:33 pm

We had kids with hoodies underneath their foot jumpers yesterday, one kids had woolen gloves on (and subsequently took some ripping marks!)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2323 times
Been liked: 3497 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:We had kids with hoodies underneath their foot jumpers yesterday, one kids had woolen gloves on (and subsequently took some ripping marks!)

Did the club receive a fine? ;)
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby S Demon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Footy Chick wrote:

The mud isn't a problem, they love the mud. It's pelting rain, strong winds and 3 degree temperatures. Most of them looked like smurfs, their hands and faces were so blue..
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:54 pm

The Hope Valley Smurfs has a ring to it :lol: ;)

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:55 pm

Footy Chick wrote:The Hope Valley Smurfs has a ring to it :lol: ;)

We know who Smurfette is then...
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:03 pm

Booney wrote:

That sounds Smurftastic
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Our blue is about the right colour too :lol:

Footy Chick

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Booney wrote:

And Papa Smurf rides an Australian Post bike
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:We had kids with hoodies underneath their foot jumpers yesterday, one kids had woolen gloves on (and subsequently took some ripping marks!)

Did the club receive a fine? ;)

No, it was a sanctioned glove.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League