Amateur League Looking at taking over Junior Football

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Amateur League Looking at taking over Junior Football

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:06 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Arch44 wrote:Bit different to the old days now isn't it?! I remember playing u/9s at Wingfield when it was freezing and we were given a shot of port out of a hip flask at quarter time to warm us up!!
I don't condone that at all by the way, and agree with Zartan.

:lol:

Chuck some trackies and a long sleeve on the little buggers and let them run around in the mud. ;)

A few weeks back, our kids were freezing out at Greenwith and despite telling them to run around, they don't get (at under 7's) that running keeps you warm. They just stood there and froze. There is zero point playing games in July when it's raining/windy, all it does is just put kids off the game completely.

I'd like to have a chat to that coach at GG U9's and find out what makes him tick.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:08 pm

BTW, just back on topic, is the SANFL or SAAFL taking over Junior Footy next season?

My bloke plays U7's this year but I hear that U8's will be the new starting point going forward.

And I heard that those eligible for U6's and U7's will now play a new Auskick 'comp' until they are eligible for U8's.

I haven't seen anything recently - does someone know where I can get a copy of the draft?
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:14 pm

gadj1976 wrote:BTW, just back on topic, is the SANFL or SAAFL taking over Junior Footy next season?

My bloke plays U7's this year but I hear that U8's will be the new starting point going forward.

And I heard that those eligible for U6's and U7's will now play a new Auskick 'comp' until they are eligible for U8's.

I haven't seen anything recently - does someone know where I can get a copy of the draft?

I'm not sure about U8s or NEMJFL but http://sanfl.com.au/sanfl_juniors/
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:BTW, just back on topic, is the SANFL or SAAFL taking over Junior Footy next season?

I'm not sure about U8s or NEMJFL but http://sanfl.com.au/sanfl_juniors/

Saw that Beef but there was a draft that was going around about 2017.

The key changes for us (Modbury) are;

9 a side, down from 15, (squad size of 12 vs 24)
No U6's, U7's in 2017

We've had 6 registered teams in U6's and U7's in previous years so we fear losing them and a raft of others to other sports next year. We had 50 at Auskick this year so there would be no reason to assume we wouldn't have 3 U6 and 3 U7's going into 2017 as well.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:22 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
There is zero point playing games in July when it's raining/windy, all it does is just put kids off the game completely.

k.

Take extreme conditions out of I'm about to say because obviously that's understandable as hypothermia is a consequence in such young kiddies..

But PLEASE. When do you propose play football? How will this prepare them for when they're older? If you call of every game that has a sprinkling of rain or a bit of wind, there goes footy being a winter sport for the next generation.

Or shall we just make it an indoor sport? I know, stick them in front of the telly and put on AFL on XBox...that's the same, right?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:26 pm

If they get rid of U/6's and U/7's couldn't clubs just run their own competition for those age groups internally?

Make it 6 a side, 9 a side, whatever you want. Cancel games when it's pissing with rain. Split your main oval up into 2-3 smaller ovals and play it like a carnival each week. No travel!

Mix the teams around as the season goes on so the kids/parents get to know the whole age group and get a chance to experience success.

Keep score, have premiership tables, finals, tackling(?!)... all the fun stuff.

Modbury Blue vs Modbury Green... Modbury Red vs Modbury Yellow...
Last edited by Tony Clifton on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:27 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:
There is zero point playing games in July when it's raining/windy, all it does is just put kids off the game completely.

k.

Take extreme conditions out of I'm about to say because obviously that's understandable as hypothermia is a consequence in such young kiddies..

But PLEASE. When do you propose play football? How will this prepare them for when they're older? If you call of every game that has a sprinkling of rain or a bit of wind, there goes footy being a winter sport for the next generation.

Or shall we just make it an indoor sport? I know, stick them in front of the telly and put on AFL on XBox...that's the same, right?

Obviously I'm talking about those conditions. I was talking specifically about Friday night and Sunday morning of this weekend when games were or should've been called off.

You also have to remember that in U6's thru to U8's they play in zones so they can't even chase after the footy to keep warm. They basically just stand there and wait for it to enter their zone. Apparently we had a kid - when the ball wasn't in their zone, go and sit in the shelter at Fitzroy on Friday night, then run back on when the ball came into his zone.

I've goal umpired in those conditions and screamed at our kids, who are turning blue to run to keep warm and they literally just stand there and freeze.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:29 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:If they get rid of U/6's and U/7's couldn't clubs just run their own competition for those age groups internally?

Make it 6 a side, 9 a side, whatever you want. Cancel games when it's pissing with rain. Split your main oval up into 2-3 smaller ovals and play it like a carnival each week. No travel!

Mix the teams around as the season goes on so the kids/parents get to know the whole age group and get a chance to experience success.

But we lose massive amounts of income firstly and secondly, that doesn't satisfy the kids. We have a group of U6's who will go from a properly organised comp, to internal trials (essentially).

Err, Auskick won't allow any of the 'fun stuff' to occur. That's exactly the reason why the SANFL are stopping 6's and 7's from playing - from what I can gather.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:38 pm

July is mostly school holidays for kids, maybe cancel games during that period for the younger ones.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:41 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:July is mostly school holidays for kids, maybe cancel games during that period for the younger ones.

They do for all junior grades in the NEMJFA.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:42 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:If they get rid of U/6's and U/7's couldn't clubs just run their own competition for those age groups internally?

But we lose massive amounts of income firstly and secondly, that doesn't satisfy the kids. We have a group of U6's who will go from a properly organised comp, to internal trials (essentially).

Err, Auskick won't allow any of the 'fun stuff' to occur. That's exactly the reason why the SANFL are stopping 6's and 7's from playing - from what I can gather.

How would you lose income? Same number of kids, not having to pay affiliation team fees or for umpires, home each week for bar/bbq revenue. You'd gain revenue if anything.

You'd have one year level of Under 6's who would go from an organised competition to an internal one. I doubt they'd care to be honest and after one year the kids won't know any different. Plus it doesn't sound as though there is going to be an organised competition for them anyway.

Auskick does ban all that fun stuff but if you're doing your own thing then the Auskick rules don't apply.

Actually imagine that a club who runs this stuff instead of whatever watered down equivalent Auskick are dishing up would attract players/parents.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:43 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:July is mostly school holidays for kids, maybe cancel games during that period for the younger ones.

They do for all junior grades in the NEMJFA.

Only for 1st week of the holidays.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:46 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

k.

Obviously I'm talking about those conditions. I was talking specifically about Friday night and Sunday morning of this weekend when games were or should've been called off.

You also have to remember that in U6's thru to U8's they play in zones so they can't even chase after the footy to keep warm. They basically just stand there and wait for it to enter their zone. Apparently we had a kid - when the ball wasn't in their zone, go and sit in the shelter at Fitzroy on Friday night, then run back on when the ball came into his zone.

I've goal umpired in those conditions and screamed at our kids, who are turning blue to run to keep warm and they literally just stand there and freeze.

There has to be a better way then, maybe ausickers should have a modified season that runs for 8 weeks in April and May (I'm not sure how many rounds they currently play).

But i agree that the kiddies shouldn't be turning blue just so they might get one touch of a footy over an hour :(
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:50 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

How would you lose income? Same number of kids, not having to pay affiliation team fees or for umpires, home each week for bar/bbq revenue. You'd gain revenue if anything.

You'd have one year level of Under 6's who would go from an organised competition to an internal one. I doubt they'd care to be honest and after one year the kids won't know any different. Plus it doesn't sound as though there is going to be an organised competition for them anyway.

Auskick does ban all that fun stuff but if you're doing your own thing then the Auskick rules don't apply.

Actually imagine that a club who runs this stuff instead of whatever watered down equivalent Auskick are dishing up would attract players/parents.

To answer in part. 6 sides of 15 kids at 130 bucks vs all income going to Auskick. We have enough teams to do a bbq every week despite home and aways.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:46 pm

gadj1976 wrote:To answer in part. 6 sides of 15 kids at 130 bucks vs all income going to Auskick. We have enough teams to do a bbq every week despite home and aways.

I'm not suggesting that the club does Auskick
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:To answer in part. 6 sides of 15 kids at 130 bucks vs all income going to Auskick. We have enough teams to do a bbq every week despite home and aways.

I'm not suggesting that the club does Auskick

Club decision.

Doubt they would risk that.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:58 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Insurance tends to be the reason against these things. If little Johnny gets a spinal injury, bye bye club + the assets of the board members

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby TEX07 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:10 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Arch44 wrote:Bit different to the old days now isn't it?! I remember playing u/9s at Wingfield when it was freezing and we were given a shot of port out of a hip flask at quarter time to warm us up!!
I don't condone that at all by the way, and agree with Zartan.

:lol:

Chuck some trackies and a long sleeve on the little buggers and let them run around in the mud. ;)

A few weeks back, our kids were freezing out at Greenwith and despite telling them to run around, they don't get (at under 7's) that running keeps you warm. They just stood there and froze. There is zero point playing games in July when it's raining/windy, all it does is just put kids off the game completely.

I'd like to have a chat to that coach at GG U9's and find out what makes him tick.

Not sure which coach this was as its first I heard of it, I coach under 10s and we played another GG side a 10:40 and there was an under 9s game on the top oval at the same time. Both games were called off by coaches at quarter time - I was more than happy to pull the pin at that point - it was actually hailing and that much rain that it wasnt draining off so there was just a massive puddle.

I would hazard to say that the club would have a chat with the coach you mentioned if all went on, its not how we would normally behave.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:05 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:Insurance tends to be the reason against these things. If little Johnny gets a spinal injury, bye bye club + the assets of the board members

Clubs can still insure their players
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:09 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:Insurance tends to be the reason against these things. If little Johnny gets a spinal injury, bye bye club + the assets of the board members

Clubs can still insure their players

Would have thought it would fall under the affiliated club insurance?

I know for cricket, some Premier Cricket Clubs run academies that don't play any matches yet are still covered by the Club's insurance policy.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League