Holding the Ball

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Holding the Ball

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:54 am

At the start of the year we were told the SANFLs interpretation was to be more harsh on this rule to avoid stoppages.
First round or two this was evident.
Now in June it's gone the opposite way, have the SANFL changed their mind and did I miss the press release?
Players can now do 720 degree turns, drop it, pick it up, have a cup of tea and then go to ground clinging to the ball and not get pinged.
One North player yesterday got the ball, tried to take it through the West player only to have an awesome tackle applied to him which sent him backwards only to have the umpire call a ball up?
It was probably the most blatant holding the ball all day.
In round 1 if a player got touched with the ball it was holding the ball?

If nothing has changed do we blame the umpires it the umpires coaches?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Holding the Ball

Postby Spargo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:01 pm

They were hot on it yesterday at the Bay.
Sturt's first two goals were from HTB decisions - the second one was a disgrace.
There were two other notable ones they received where they sweated off and waited for a Glenelg player to go in and get the ball before 2-3 jumped on top - no prior, no chance, yet they paid it again and again which only rewards the player second to the footy.
The standard of SANFL umpiring is a mile worse than the AFL.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby VALE PARK » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:10 pm

I thought the umpiring at Prospect yesterday was very good.
No complaints about holding the ball to me.
While the game is played this free kick rule will always be an issue.
Remember umpires make mistakes like players and they know the rules.
Speaking of player errors,I counted at least 10 player hand ball errors in the first quarter alone!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Wolf Pack » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:33 pm

VALE PARK wrote:I thought the umpiring at Prospect yesterday was very good.
No complaints about holding the ball to me.
While the game is played this free kick rule will always be an issue.
Remember umpires make mistakes like players and they know the rules.
Speaking of player errors,I counted at least 10 player hand ball errors in the first quarter alone!

The umpiring was good???
Did you miss Middleton's (almost game saving) mark in the last qtr and the umpire called play on....
The umps had a shocker.
Then there was the tackle that Wedgie was talking about....
Wolf Pack
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby blood bath » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:20 pm

Wedgie wrote:At the start of the year we were told the SANFLs interpretation was to be more harsh on this rule to avoid stoppages.
Now in June it's gone the opposite way, have the SANFL changed their mind and did I miss the press release?
Players can now do 720 degree turns, drop it, pick it up, have a cup of tea and then go to ground clinging to the ball and not get pinged.
One North player yesterday got the ball, tried to take it through the West player only to have an awesome tackle applied to him which sent him backwards only to have the umpire call a ball up?

Agree. I think the incident you are referring to was in the 3rd quarter when the north player (sorry I don't recall the name) tried to run through Daniel Webb who wrapped him up and even sent the north player backwards without legally disposing of the ball. Obviously my bias in umpiring calls goes to West, but I thought this was the most obvious free of the day!
blood bath
Under 16s

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:24 pm

blood bath wrote:
Wedgie wrote:At the start of the year we were told the SANFLs interpretation was to be more harsh on this rule to avoid stoppages.

Agree. I think the incident you are referring to was in the 3rd quarter when the north player (sorry I don't recall the name) tried to run through Daniel Webb who wrapped him up and even sent the north player backwards without legally disposing of the ball. Obviously my bias in umpiring calls goes to West, but I thought this was the most obvious free of the day!

Agreed, awesome tackle, right in the middle of the ground in full sight.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby SimonH » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:19 am

The Sturt v Norwood match was a car-crash in this respect, where the umpires (after paying one or two 'controversial' ones earlier) had completely given up by the last quarter. A player took on the opponent, broke the tackle and then before disposing of the footy got caught again: ball up. Player had prior opportunity, was taken to ground, and just placed the ball down on the turf: play on. Endless players with or without prior opportunity just 'accepted the tackle' and didn't even pretend to be attempting to dispose of the ball: ball up. Player stood there holding the footy in one hand, holding a paintbrush with the other, painting a placard reading, 'Yes, I've had prior opportunity; no, I have no intention of releasing this footy when I'm tackled': ball up.

It's not about being one-eyed: same nonsense for both sides. The 'no HTB unless you've had possession of the ball for over 30 seconds and run the length of the ground with it plus had a good 15 seconds after tackling before you're brought to ground when you could have got rid of it but didn't' policy encourages mediocrity, particularly players who just 'accept the tackle', go to ground and wait for the whistle when they should be trying to keep the footy moving, it doesn't reward good tackles, and it produces endless stoppages. It's not about punishing the guy who goes to get the footy and rewarding the guys who sweat off him—if the ball collector is jumped on straight away and makes a real attempt to move it on, he's alright. Otherwise, time to get a wriggle-on with enforcing the law as it is/should be, because the SANFL umps have totally backslid.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:35 pm

Saw one late in the Blues/Legs game where Daw took the Struttie to ground after he took Daw on, the Struttie had one arm pinned, he shoveled the ball in front of himself and knocked it out off the ground. As much HTB as you can possibly be.

Saw one late in the Bloods/Bays game where the pack descended upon one Bay lad who had no chance, the umpire circled "AFL style" as stacks on the mill ensued and eventually paid HTB.

Terribly inconsistent.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7485 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby stampy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:58 pm

the worst rule in football by a mile
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby SimonH » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Bump.

Only a matter of time until the 'are we letting everyone accept the tackle, or are we pinging them AFL style?' great wheel of HTB roulette decided a game, and now it has. If the powers that be give a freak about the comp (dubious, I know) there needs to be a serious policy considered, spelled out and enforced for 2017.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby another grub » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:35 am

Choose either way , just be consistant.
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 448 times
Been liked: 412 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:02 am

Looks to me that the 2 Norwood players jumping on top didn;t help the guy with the ball

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2321 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:06 am

Dutchy wrote:Looks to me that the 2 Norwood players jumping on top didn;t help the guy with the ball

Bit confusing that because it's a Bays player at the bottom of the pile and all the Bay's players that are appealing for something ??
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:07 am

Dutchy wrote:Image

Looks like all those Bay players are Soundgarden fans...

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:15 am

There is a Norwood player at the bottom of the pack. He has the ball.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Fantastic effort 1 bay player vs 3 legs players.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11837 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Big Phil » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:32 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:There is a Norwood player at the bottom of the pack. He has the ball.

And he was the one who jumped on the footy...

Once he does that, he has to be seen to be making an attempt to get rid of the ball...

I think the decision was the right one...

On the second to last video in the link below, pause it at 0:03 mark and you'll see Cachia has the opportunity to handpass the ball...

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/3576/

He tucks it in, knowing there are a lot of Glenelg players around, going to ground in the tackle and is then obviously pounced upon...

To me, that shows 'prior opportunity' and the correct decision is paid...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Doddy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Dogs have been a strong tackling side since the Gowans arrived, and our fortunes seem to be linked to how HTB is interpreted on the day. I start smiling pretty early when I see a good few HTB called in the first quarter.

On Saturday at Noarlunga, the calls were variable all day unfortunately. Got a few, missed a few. On balance the bit that was annoying me the most was that the umpire seemed to wait a while to decide if a Central player without prior opportunity was making enough effort to dispose, but he often seemed to call the bounce immediately when a South guy was caught quickly. At least 4 instances of each, could have been different umps I suppose.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby another grub » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:17 pm

Sometimes they blow the whistle straight away, sometimes they dont. Its very to hard work out why ?
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 448 times
Been liked: 412 times

Postby Grenville » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:29 pm

another grub wrote:Sometimes they blow the whistle straight away, sometimes they dont. Its very to hard work out why ?

Agreed, it seems a complete lottery.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL