Open Mike

Talk on the national game

Re: Open Mike

Postby JK » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:53 pm

Jase wrote:I thought it was a great episode... you look past all the bluster and he makes excellent points regarding skills, characters, AFL rules etc...

Sure he's mad as a cut snake but he's smarter than most people think...

I agree he touched on some good points, but they're not uncommon thoughts and couldn't help but feeling they were born from a bitterness toward the game, due to his inability to accept responsibility for his own deeds or misdeeds.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby stan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:16 am

Maybe Jacko should go back to doing thise energizer batteries commercials.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Failed Creation » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:21 am

stan wrote:Maybe Jacko should go back to doing thise energizer batteries commercials.

Oi!
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3308 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Magellan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:49 am

stan wrote:Maybe Jacko should go back to doing thise energizer batteries commercials.

Perhaps Sheahan should've interviewed the Duracell bunny.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:59 am

Jase wrote:I thought it was a great episode... you look past all the bluster and he makes excellent points regarding skills, characters, AFL rules etc...

I thought that one of the points he made would gain much sympathy on these boards - a national trust to look after the game of Australian rules, being the main one.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:02 am

Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11935 times
Been liked: 3638 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:28 am

Jacko is a dead set moron...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3037 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:58 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Jacko is a dead set moron...

He was the one invited in, I think the FOX people and Sheehan should be the ones given the hard time here. What did they expect? Well, they expected a blow up of epic proportions and to get massive ratings and people talking about it and they got what they wanted.

Gutter journalism in my book. Picked an easy target, lit a fire and watched it burn then had no problem promoting it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:02 am

JK wrote:

I agree he touched on some good points, but they're not uncommon thoughts and couldn't help but feeling they were born from a bitterness toward the game, due to his inability to accept responsibility for his own deeds or misdeeds.

I've had a look at the first three and a half minutes and I agree.

But jeez I found it hard to watch. To quote his failed follow-up single, 'My Brain Hurts'. The guy's all over the place like a mad-woman's knitting. Starts off having a go at Sheahan before his beginning monologue finishes, then has a shot at Leigh Matthews, and then ends up having a crack at Hawthorn for having 'boring colours' and some media/corporate conspiracy nonsense.

Apart from not being afraid to prove publicly that he's a wanker, he's an angry man full of piss and wind, and of course with people who fail to acknowledge personal responsibility, it's always someone else's fault.

BTW fair call Booney, the network knew what they were getting into and milked it. Hopefully next week they can find someone who has an interesting life story or experiences that come out of playing footy, not an attention seeker who happened to play a few games.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:06 am

Perhaps if he was calmer and discussed the issues surrounding his career rather than being so revved up it may have made people appreciate his circumstances.

No doubt he has issues, but behind a lot of the shouting he made some good observations.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11935 times
Been liked: 3638 times

Postby JK » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:13 am

Booney wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Jacko is a dead set moron...

He was the one invited in, I think the FOX people and Sheehan should be the ones given the hard time here. What did they expect? Well, they expected a blow up of epic proportions and to get massive ratings and people talking about it and they got what they wanted.

Gutter journalism in my book. Picked an easy target, lit a fire and watched it burn then had no problem promoting it.

To be fair to Sheehan, I reckon he was pretty good about it .. Copped a pretty savage barrelling from Jackson, but didn't try to shut him down, as he understands that people he's written/spoken about before, need to take the good with the bad, and I reckon he did it pretty well.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:15 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:No doubt he has issues, but behind a lot of the shouting he made some good observations.

Yep fair call, and whilst it's been missed a bit by some of the public, it was a fair ingredient in why the interview was so interesting.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:30 am

Do you by into Sheehan's claims that he was "doing what he was told" by Fox, or was he just as keen to conduct the interview?

I thought he handled it well, given the absolute barrage of abuse at the start.

Poor episode all round I thought. I really enjoy Open Mike, but that was destined to be a train-wreck from the moment it was announced.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby carey » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:36 am

This page alone highlights what the exercise was about. Ratings! It drew people in to watch the episode, I personally believe yep his out there, No question but, For mine he certainty played it up for the cameras and I would think would've received a nice little money bag for doing it.

As stated by others he did make some good points when not carrying on.

Would've been one of the higher rating Open Mikes.

for what its worth I still found it to be 'entertaining'
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:53 am

Love Jacko, he was the reason I followed Geelong and the VFL and was the reason I watched my first Open Mike show .
Game was so much more entertaining when he was around.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby fester69 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:57 am

I loved the part where he said Australian Rules Footballers aren't allowed to play AFL, only athletes who can jump and do the beep test. About time that was said in a media forum
And the part about punching Hawthorn just cos they're Hawthorn - gold!!
FoxFooty got the ratings, Jacko got some exposure. I'd expect demand for his sportsman's nights will increase.
Funny ending though, all is forgiven as of now, fist bump, credits!!
Last edited by fester69 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
fester69
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby OnSong » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:57 am

The network clearly did it for a ratings grab but it came at Sheehan's expense, which was disappointing in my view.

To tell one of the more intellectual and experienced journos out there that he didn't have the mental capacity to have a discussion about a relationship with an underworld figure speaks volumes of the lack of intellectual capacity Jackson has.

His attitude to belting people also disgusted me. "Because they were Hawthorn, because they were looking at me!"

A deadset bottom swimmer who had ability but lacked the aptitude to apply it all correctly and goes on to blame everyone but himself for his own failings.

It rated its arse off but if they keep pulling these blokes in, it'll turn into a circus the same way The Footy Show and Triple M's Rub programs have.

Give me the compelling drama and humility of Barry Cable over this moron any day of the week.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 538 times
Been liked: 559 times

Postby JK » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:04 pm

OnSong wrote:His attitude to belting people also disgusted me. "Because they were Hawthorn, because they were looking at me!"

I thought his reference to the people looking at him was more to say that he didn't belt anyone from behind?

Was such a different day back then - There'd be more chance a VFL player belted someone and copped one back on a Saturday than brushing their teeth for the week.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:07 pm

JK wrote:
OnSong wrote:His attitude to belting people also disgusted me. "Because they were Hawthorn, because they were looking at me!"

I thought his reference to the people looking at him was more to say that he didn't belt anyone from behind?

Was such a different day back then - There'd be more chance a VFL player belted someone and copped one back on a Saturday than brushing their teeth for the week.

Agreed JK, that was what he was saying. Who can blame him for his attitude with Hawthorn after what Leigh Matthews the biggest thug and disgrace to the game did. Jacko disrespects cowards like Matthews while the AFL promote them!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Alaska » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:12 pm

fester69 wrote:I loved the part where he said Australian Rules Footballers aren't allowed to play AFL, only athletes who can jump and do the beep test. About time that was said in a media forum
And the part about punching Hawthorn just cos they're Hawthorn - gold!!
FoxFooty got the ratings, Jacko got some exposure. I'd expect demand for his sportsman's nights will increase.
Funny ending though, all is forgiven as of now, fist bump, credits!!

I expect that is why he accepted to keep him relevant and express these views to grass roots clubs.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL