New Clubs for 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: New Clubs for 2017

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Never offended by my Emu friends because I enjoy the opportunity to return fire. We may poke fun at the stereotypes associated with our clubs but in reality we are not as different as we pretend.

Next weeks vote will be the right decision whichever way it goes because it will be what the members want moving forward. It is my understanding that North and South divisions below lets say Division 2 is not on the immediate agenda but is never off the table. The Old Collegian teams makes this concept difficult however an influx of southern suburbs teams could change the thinking.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Minion Master » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:46 pm

Cheese Twisties wrote:
adr107 wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:
Cheese Twisties wrote:DTH this is what surprises me most about Brighton’s keenness to move – the Brighton faithful seem to hate leaving the tanning salons and latte friendly confines of 5048! A few weeks back we played Brighton at Morphett Vale (20 minutes south of 5048) in a game that was 2 vs 3 and without exaggerating, there would have had 10-15 Bombers supporters there, and I don’t recall any of your B grade sticking around. Same with C grade over the years, where Brighton are often undefeated at home, but nearly forfeit away games! I’m a little surprised that you are keen to join a comp that will have you frequently heading north of the city…??

Top of the ladder and you've come out of hiding CT. I was at the MV game and we had a reasonable crew that gathered South of the MV coaches box. If you were prepared to get your Ugg boots dirty you may have come around and noticed or maybe you didn't want the new tattoo to get exposed to the sun until it had set properly.

It was your home game and once upon a time you had to squeeze your way through the crowd under the verandah but my last few trips to the Emu have seen a big drop off from the home crowd. And you find me any C grade (when it's your lowest team) in any comp who doesn't have some challenges with numbers particularly on some Away games - but to say we have been close to forfeiting some games is a stupid statement because our C grade over the last decade has also won the majority of its away games and only occasionally without a full 3 man bench. Coming from someone whose club is not even fielding a C grade this year and couldn't field a full U18 team last year is a bit rich.

And some people in the SFL need to get out of their own post code once in a while and have a closer look at the SAAFL and suburban Adelaide before you sprout off about it being a Northern league. In an 18 game season with 9 away games - 2 or 3 longish trips (no further than Old Noarlunga and Aldinga from Brighton - albeit slower travel time) is hardly frequently.

Take a look at the top 4 Divisions and take out Para Hills in Div 4 who ended up pulling out and will be back in Div 6 or Div 7 next year if they are able to re-group. A pretty even spread of North, East, West, South and CBD clubs in each grade. And Henley, Seaton, SMOSH, Portland etc. are not as far as you may think with Brighton Rd and TH Rd a nice direct route to those parts. S Demon was being mischievous with his "potential C grade" because the C grade comps are formed with some consideration given to geography and alignment of clubs in the A divisions.

DIVISION 1 & 1R Adelaide University Goodwood Saints Henley Payneham NU Port District Prince Alfred OC Rostrevor OC Salisbury North Tea Tree Gully Unley Mercedes Jets
DIVISION 2 & 2R Broadview Gaza Modbury Old Ignatians PHOS Camden Portland Sacred Heart OC Scotch OC SMOSH West Lakes St Peter’s OC
DIVISION 3 & 3R Athelstone Flinders Park Gepps Cross Golden Grove Kilburn Mitcham Pembroke OS Plympton Seaton Ramblers Walkerville
DIVISION 4 & 4R Colonel Light Gdns Eastern Park Edwardstown Hope Valley Kenilworth North Haven Para Hills Pooraka Salisbury Westminster OS

These strange and unfamiliar southies are adding spice. I like it.

Ha yep DTH dusted off my Safooty password for the first time since our last flag in 2009, but I didn’t mean any offence by my post... besides the tanning salons bit (which I stand by 100%). Also surely you have named your Brighton leaving SFL been campaign as “Brexit”…??

I know little of the SAAFL (or geography north of Anzac Highway) but obviously the relegation and promotion system works a treat. The only draw backs I could think of would be the travel times…

Lets just say the SFL falls over in 2-3 years (clubs jumping ship are usually the beginning of the end) there are a few clubs that could argue they are closer to the GSFL (who I think have already stated “we are full” Trump style) and Hill’s leagues – but most of us logically should be heading to the SAAFL. This would obviously add to the SAAFL travel times greatly.

Would the SAAFL even want us “strange and unfamiliar southies” in their comp? Southies would include powerhouse such as Reynella and Morphett Vale, but also clubs such as Lonsdale and Marion etc who would benefit greatly from being in the upper divisions of the SAAFL.

I saw someone previously propose a Div 1 and Div2, but then dropping back to Div 3 North and Div 3 South and so forth underneath that. Thought it was a great idea!

We don't mind you strange, inbred, two headed Southies coming in :lol: and with the expressways now in and being completed, travel time in most instances on a Saturday morning would only be 60 minutes at most and an opportunity to see what really goes on down the deep south as for me anything normally over Anzac Hwy is classed as Mexico, so if Trump gets in and a wall is built that could add additional time :lol:
Minion Master
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Broughton-Mundoora

Postby mighty hounds » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:54 pm

Minion Master wrote:
We don't mind you strange, inbred, two headed Southies coming in :lol: and with the expressways now in and being completed, travel time in most instances on a Saturday morning would only be 60 minutes at most and an opportunity to see what really goes on down the deep south as for me anything normally over Anzac Hwy is classed as Mexico, so if Trump gets in and a wall is built that could add additional time :lol:

Isn't Morphettville Park only 2 mins from Plympton? How'd you go heading to Plympton MM? :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:56 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Minion Master wrote:
We don't mind you strange, inbred, two headed Southies coming in [emoji38] and with the expressways now in and being completed, travel time in most instances on a Saturday morning would only be 60 minutes at most and an opportunity to see what really goes on down the deep south as for me anything normally over Anzac Hwy is classed as Mexico, so if Trump gets in and a wall is built that could add additional time [emoji38]

Isn't Morphettville Park only 2 mins from Plympton? How'd you go heading to Plympton MM? [emoji38]

Actually Camden oval is closer distance wise but not by much....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Minion Master » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:59 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Minion Master wrote:

Isn't Morphettville Park only 2 mins from Plympton? How'd you go heading to Plympton MM? :lol:

had the navman plugged in, doors locked & windows wound up, even looked for appropriate accommodation and packed a lunch for the trip :shock:
Minion Master
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Broughton-Mundoora

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Never offended by my Emu friends because I enjoy the opportunity to return fire. We may poke fun at the stereotypes associated with our clubs but in reality we are not as different as we pretend.

Next weeks vote will be the right decision whichever way it goes because it will be what the members want moving forward. It is my understanding that North and South divisions below lets say Division 2 is not on the immediate agenda but is never off the table. The Old Collegian teams makes this concept difficult however an influx of southern suburbs teams could change the thinking.

DTH hope you Guys make the move and join always like going to visit new clubs and check out thier clubrooms and look at thier history

Not so sure you would want a North / South Comp, played in them for several years and the scores were similar to what you have now in the SFL,
clubs playing each other on a geograpical basis not ability. 60 goals to 4 goal game and a couple in which the opposition did not score.

Smithfield kicked over 50 goals 3 weeks in a row in one of those comps in 1995 against other A Grade sides.

Best of luck and hope top see you in a couple of years as you come up the ranks and not us coming down!!!
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby The Hound » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Lets just say the SFL falls over in 2-3 years (clubs jumping ship are usually the beginning of the end) there are a few clubs that could argue they are closer to the GSFL (who I think have already stated “we are full” Trump style) and Hill’s leagues – but most of us logically should be heading to the SAAFL. This would obviously add to the SAAFL travel times greatly.

I know this is a SAAFL forum, but the SFL should look at why the SCA feel over! better sides leaving the comp and not turning back as the standard was deteriorating (no offense to the players or comp). One such side further south than Brighton has no complaints travelling to Trinity etc. It will also add some economic benefit to the local drive thru to rehydrate 8)

However I do know of someone from Modbury FC who wont go south of Anzac Highway :oops:

Once a southie always a southie :lol:
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Fricky » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:47 pm

The Hound wrote:Lets just say the SFL falls over in 2-3 years (clubs jumping ship are usually the beginning of the end) there are a few clubs that could argue they are closer to the GSFL (who I think have already stated “we are full” Trump style) and Hill’s leagues – but most of us logically should be heading to the SAAFL. This would obviously add to the SAAFL travel times greatly.

I know this is a SAAFL forum, but the SFL should look at why the SCA feel over! better sides leaving the comp and not turning back as the standard was deteriorating (no offense to the players or comp). One such side further south than Brighton has no complaints travelling to Trinity etc. It will also add some economic benefit to the local drive thru to rehydrate 8)

However I do know of someone from Modbury FC who wont go south of Anzac Highway :oops:

There have been clubs who suffered the "curse of Grand Junction Rd" where players pull out of games on Saturday morning when they play teams north of Grand Junction
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby morell » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Suri wrote:
The Hound wrote:Lets just say the SFL falls over in 2-3 years (clubs jumping ship are usually the beginning of the end) there are a few clubs that could argue they are closer to the GSFL (who I think have already stated “we are full” Trump style) and Hill’s leagues – but most of us logically should be heading to the SAAFL. This would obviously add to the SAAFL travel times greatly.

There have been clubs who suffered the "curse of Grand Junction Rd" where players pull out of games on Saturday morning when they play teams north of Grand Junction
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby finn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
Demon Juke wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Guys I think you will find that our President was trying to say the amount of times our C grade play "Away" from our A & B grade whether the A & B grade play home or away, not in the context of playing away games which of course we understand is 50/50. We have noted that Plympton C grade this year will play 17 out of 18 as triple headers with all their home games as triple headers with their own A & B grade and all but one away game as a triple header but unaligned with the A & B grade due to major difference of clubs in Div 3 and C4. The SAAFL has indicated that as always they will review the C division structure to try and better align clubs between the A divisions and C divisions where possible. We understand that a couple less C & D teams in Div 7 could make this easier to achieve.

If you are so strong, C grade should be c2 or c3.

Who said anything about our C grade being in C4. Was just using a Div 3 club that is fairly close to Brighton as an example regardless of what grade their C grade is in. Was told today that many C3 teams have a D grade in C5 which is all part of the fixturing strategy so who knows where our C grade will play. If the vote to move to the SAAFL is a YES we will just be hoping, probably no different to most clubs, that our C grade plays in a div with a decent amount of clubs in close proximity or a decent amount of clubs that are also Div 3 or a combination of both.

If they're a stand alone c grade and any good Brighton's c grade will be in c1 or c2; at the moment c3 and c5 are reflective c and d grade competitions as much as possible.
always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them so much
finn
League - Best 21

Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby jo172 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:37 pm

finn wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:
Demon Juke wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Guys I think you will find that our President was trying to say the amount of times our C grade play "Away" from our A & B grade whether the A & B grade play home or away, not in the context of playing away games which of course we understand is 50/50. We have noted that Plympton C grade this year will play 17 out of 18 as triple headers with all their home games as triple headers with their own A & B grade and all but one away game as a triple header but unaligned with the A & B grade due to major difference of clubs in Div 3 and C4. The SAAFL has indicated that as always they will review the C division structure to try and better align clubs between the A divisions and C divisions where possible. We understand that a couple less C & D teams in Div 7 could make this easier to achieve.

If you are so strong, C grade should be c2 or c3.

Who said anything about our C grade being in C4. Was just using a Div 3 club that is fairly close to Brighton as an example regardless of what grade their C grade is in. Was told today that many C3 teams have a D grade in C5 which is all part of the fixturing strategy so who knows where our C grade will play. If the vote to move to the SAAFL is a YES we will just be hoping, probably no different to most clubs, that our C grade plays in a div with a decent amount of clubs in close proximity or a decent amount of clubs that are also Div 3 or a combination of both.

If they're a stand alone c grade and any good Brighton's c grade will be in c1 or c2; at the moment c3 and c5 are reflective c and d grade competitions as much as possible.

I suspect the grand plan involves a reincarnation of D8 next year (similar to what it was for three years) which will have most of the C/D C3 and C5 sides along with some of the C/D Sides from D7 (aside from Uni and PAOC)
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby marbles » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:11 pm

The clubs of the sfl could always just band together and ask the saafl to administrate them in a seperate southern 10 team division known as C9SFL

Put marion in div 7

Piss lonsdale off with the grandpa sfl committee & abra-cardabra youre new tip top C9SFL is alive

Channel 9 would certainly fund it

edit: punctuation & hyphen
Last edited by marbles on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby BigB » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:08 pm

I do think that for grades which comprise mainly the kick and catch brigade, as opposed to the more serious players, a regional (North / South) based comp with perhaps a "Super GF" playoff between the winners, has merit. I'd primarily be thinking the C grade divisions, but maybe even Div 6 & 7 could be structured that way to encourage participation devoid of the tyranny of distance. (I am not denigrating C Graders as being not serious btw but a significant number of C & more so D grade players do tend to see a long drive as a bit of an issue I suspect.)
Would this work?
BigB

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Dolphin Treasure » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Suri wrote:

Grand junction rd is the mullet line. I rarely travel north of the mullet line.
Dolphin Treasure
Rookie

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: CBCOC

Postby finn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:04 pm

jo172 wrote:
finn wrote:
Demon Juke wrote:

I suspect the grand plan involves a reincarnation of D8 next year (similar to what it was for three years) which will have most of the C/D C3 and C5 sides along with some of the C/D Sides from D7 (aside from Uni and PAOC)

The problem with this is you end up with essentially a two tiered competition; the top five or six sides end up belting the lower sides in both the c and d grade competition and in the stand alone c grade divisions (c1 and c2). This happened in these three years of div 8. The theory behind the system currently is that the better sides will end up playing each other resulting in a higher standard competition and sides not quite as good will play in a competition In which they're best suited.
always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them so much
finn
League - Best 21

Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Yank Man » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:08 pm

This is great interaction and makes for very interesting reading. It's a shame the SFL powers are probably not looking. So much strength down south but so much weakness as well and I'm not talking about the clubs ;) . Maybe you should all come in because you clearly have some great ideas.

#Notasledge but a positive
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:51 pm

Dolphin Treasure wrote:
Suri wrote:

Grand junction rd is the mullet line. I rarely travel north of the mullet line.

I prefer to think of it as the mullet proof fence
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:52 pm

The SFL are torn between country footy and city footy. Thats culture not ability.
Trapped between a successful GSFL and Ammos.

Where does the SFL fit?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:15 pm

tigerpie wrote:The SFL are torn between country footy and city footy. Thats culture not ability.
Trapped between a successful GSFL and Ammos.

Where does the SFL fit?

It's an Identity crisis the league has struggled with for 15 years or more.......

Brighton and Morphettville Park looking at jumping off next year and Hackham told to work on some issues. Surely Reynella, Morphett Vale, Flagstaff Hill, Marion and Cove are pondering their future.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:29 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
Minion Master wrote:

We're the inbreds?? :shock:

We have been asking for a wall at Grand Junction Road for decades ;)
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League