Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Booney wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
Booney wrote:Onto it.

Anything to report Boon?

Well, no.... :(

Still met a client for lunch, but we went a dirty burger at my favorite burger joint. 127 Days Road.

Bugger..... I am going to be back down that way later next week. Lunch is on the card at the Woody!

Probably won't be the only Woody you will see that day ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Mrs C may encounter one as well....
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:40 pm

Mixing it up, trying out the Windmill tonight.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby carey » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:21 pm

Wedgie wrote:Mixing it up, trying out the Windmill tonight.

The Windmill use to have the best satay sauce ever! Beef snitty with Satay sauce topping was awesome.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby mickey » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:34 pm

Decent steak there the other night, Wednesday night snitty night is good. $15 including a pint. Not too sure about the front bar prices though
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Brodlach » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:36 pm

carey wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Mixing it up, trying out the Windmill tonight.

The Windmill use to have the best satay sauce ever! Beef snitty with Satay sauce topping was awesome.

Snitty with satay sauce sounds yuk!
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:05 pm

JK wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
JK wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Driving past the Woodville today and noticed one of the lovely busty waitresses walking in....best thing I've seen on Port Rd for a while

There's a couple there that go alright mate

Going to have to check this out.... is it everyday, or Fridays only?

Of an evening, pretty much anyday I reckon mate

FIELD REPORT

Called into the Woody Pub today for lunch, as I was in the area.... actually I wasn't really that close to be honest. So I jaunted on down Port Road anyway, to check out what was on offer.

Arrived at 12.15. Don't think I had been in this pub before. My guess is it's been somewhat recently renovated, very clean looking place. Nice outdoor area, pokies room, bistro & sports bar. Standard stuff, well appointed. A few people already eating and a few more groups arrived in the 45 minutes or so that I was there. So kitchen & wait staff were busy, not flat out.

Few lunch specials to choose from. I went the $13.00 Chicken Shnitty, chips & Salad. Pint of Carlton Draught rounded it out to a flat $20. Snitty comes with a choice of gravy - went mushroom.

Decent size feed, good chips, gravy ok, salad - not that big a fan to be honest, but even so it was ok. Really for $13, I had zero complaint.

As for the eye candy....... Perhaps I went on the wrong day. I guess the weather is a bit cooler, but there were no "racks" on display of any great note.

I did however pop out to the front bar for my second pint, where a lovely young girl "Jess" served me. While the rack (of lamb) did not seem outstanding, I must say the rump, did however look particularly tempting!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:57 pm

You're pretty good at this reviewing business mate (although missed a point rating, but that can slide).

Id say the weather has indeed played its part - whilst I haven't been there for a weekday lunch, ive been for several dinners/drinks during the week and on the weekend, and it rarely disappoints. Give it another crack when the sun comes out?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:07 pm

JK wrote:You're pretty good at this reviewing business mate (although missed a point rating, but that can slide).

Id say the weather has indeed played its part - whilst I haven't been there for a weekday lunch, ive been for several dinners/drinks during the week and on the weekend, and it rarely disappoints. Give it another crack when the sun comes out?

Will do JK... I can see the potential.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:10 pm

Not a pub or anything but Maekhong Chinese & Thai Take Away at Elizabeth Downs should be given a wide berth. The worst chinese food I've ever had the honey chicken should be called glue chicken the rice was gluggy and devoid of any flavour and the vegetables tasted like a frozen packet job. To quote Krusty "I think I swallowed some of the juice". I would've rather eaten toast for tea.

I felt I had a responsibility to the community to tear up their menu and throw it in the bin rather than put it in the recycling bin and risk another unsuspecting person giving them a go.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Gozu wrote:Not a pub or anything but Maekhong Chinese & Thai Take Away at Elizabeth Downs should be given a wide berth. The worst chinese food I've ever had the honey chicken should be called glue chicken the rice was gluggy and devoid of any flavour and the vegetables tasted like a frozen packet job. To quote Krusty "I think I swallowed some of the juice". I would've rather eaten toast for tea.

I felt I had a responsibility to the community to tear up their menu and throw it in the bin rather than put it in the recycling bin and risk another unsuspecting person giving them a go.

Most things that come from Elizabeth Downs should be given a wide berth :-p ;-)
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Pag » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:12 am

Powered through the Big Boy 1kg schnitzel at the Beach Hotel, Seaford yesterday. $25 for the schnit + a pint of super dry. Think it's only for a limited time but was well worth the drive.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:00 pm

Been to a few lately via teh Entertainment bOok

Checked out the new Holdy the other week.

Beef Schnitty the missus has was nice (she liked it) but my greek style pizza whilst nice a flavousome was facile (pizza oven not hot enough or not cooked long enough) two mains two drinks ~ $40 (with voucher) 6/10

Took the out laws for their first trip to the Victory a month ago.

The MIL is a food Nazi and nothing is good enough. Had the 2IC Chef in charge that night. I know my Sirloin was sensational, Mst am bays liked his schnitty with sauce (his a food gourmet) and the Misses enjoyed here medium eye fillet. Can't remember what the FIL and MIL had but I know I had a happy MIL when we walked out.

All's good witht eh world when the MIL is happy 9/10

Henley Beach hotel. Took the family out for lunch after West Beach putt putt session. 2 x chicken schnitty, 1 x beef schnitty and 1 burger. My burger was nice. kids liked their chicken schnitty and the missus didn't mind the peeper sauce gravy on the beef schnitty but wasn't keen on tehhair in teh salaad or the chipps that came with the serve of salt...

Woolies pub - should've known better ($78 for four mains and four drinks) 4.5/10.

Bay Bar and Bistro

Schnitty nite on a Monday - four of the better schnitties we've had there than in the past. Typical pub food nothing super sensational but still good value for money.

When Mst am bays and Mrs am bays eat all their food you know it's better than good

No voucher but four fed and "watered" for $70 - 7/10

Woodstock Winery

Kids away so this missus and I treated ourselves on the last Fri of the school holidays.

two course special with a glass of wine for $45.

We both had the scallops entree sensational. She had the beef fillet me the slow cooked lamb shoulder witha side of greens to share.

Absolutely god damn lip smacking sensational. Would have been bad manners to lick my plate afterwards but if I could I would've!! Lamb literally melted in your mouth and the fillet steak, well in teh words of Mrs fussy cutting her steak was like putting a hot knife through butter...

Partook in an extra bottle of their Shiraz to finish the meal.

Do yourselves a favour drive past Serafinos for a lunch at McLaren Vale (don't even look at the place) and head straight for Woodstock Winery!!

9.5/10
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby The Ash Man » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:39 am

am Bays wrote:Been to a few lately via teh Entertainment bOok

Checked out the new Holdy the other week.

Beef Schnitty the missus has was nice (she liked it) but my greek style pizza whilst nice a flavousome was facile (pizza oven not hot enough or not cooked long enough) two mains two drinks ~ $40 (with voucher) 6/10

Took the out laws for their first trip to the Victory a month ago.

The MIL is a food Nazi and nothing is good enough. Had the 2IC Chef in charge that night. I know my Sirloin was sensational, Mst am bays liked his schnitty with sauce (his a food gourmet) and the Misses enjoyed here medium eye fillet. Can't remember what the FIL and MIL had but I know I had a happy MIL when we walked out.

All's good witht eh world when the MIL is happy 9/10

Henley Beach hotel. Took the family out for lunch after West Beach putt putt session. 2 x chicken schnitty, 1 x beef schnitty and 1 burger. My burger was nice. kids liked their chicken schnitty and the missus didn't mind the peeper sauce gravy on the beef schnitty but wasn't keen on tehhair in teh salaad or the chipps that came with the serve of salt...

Woolies pub - should've known better ($78 for four mains and four drinks) 4.5/10.

Bay Bar and Bistro

Schnitty nite on a Monday - four of the better schnitties we've had there than in the past. Typical pub food nothing super sensational but still good value for money.

When Mst am bays and Mrs am bays eat all their food you know it's better than good

No voucher but four fed and "watered" for $70 - 7/10

Woodstock Winery

Kids away so this missus and I treated ourselves on the last Fri of the school holidays.

two course special with a glass of wine for $45.

We both had the scallops entree sensational. She had the beef fillet me the slow cooked lamb shoulder witha side of greens to share.

Absolutely god damn lip smacking sensational. Would have been bad manners to lick my plate afterwards but if I could I would've!! Lamb literally melted in your mouth and the fillet steak, well in teh words of Mrs fussy cutting her steak was like putting a hot knife through butter...

Partook in an extra bottle of their Shiraz to finish the meal.

Do yourselves a favour drive past Serafinos for a lunch at McLaren Vale (don't even look at the place) and head straight for Woodstock Winery!!

9.5/10

A mate of mine is the chef at Woodstock, amazing food indeed
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:25 pm

You beauty.
I'll be going to The Woodstock and I'll mention your name Ash Man and look forward to a big discount
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11850 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby zipzap » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:06 am

Stuck for time so apologies if the answer is already here but can anyone recommend a Melbourne pub close to or in Southbank for watching AFL this Saturday night? Me and my bro are taking the old man over for his 70th - MCG Friday then watch his beloved Crows (ewww) on Saturday. Prefer a trad pub that's not full of hipsters and / or loud bogans ;)
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:13 am

zipzap wrote:Stuck for time so apologies if the answer is already here but can anyone recommend a Melbourne pub close to or in Southbank for watching AFL this Saturday night? Me and my bro are taking the old man over for his 70th - MCG Friday then watch his beloved Crows (ewww) on Saturday. Prefer a trad pub that's not full of hipsters and / or loud bogans ;)

You could try Luke Darcy's pub which is on Southbank near the convention centre... Can't recall the name of the pub just now. I've watched an Anzac Day game there before. Good atmosphere and hipster free.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:31 am

Corona Man wrote:
zipzap wrote:Stuck for time so apologies if the answer is already here but can anyone recommend a Melbourne pub close to or in Southbank for watching AFL this Saturday night? Me and my bro are taking the old man over for his 70th - MCG Friday then watch his beloved Crows (ewww) on Saturday. Prefer a trad pub that's not full of hipsters and / or loud bogans ;)

You could try Luke Darcy's pub which is on Southbank near the convention centre... Can't recall the name of the pub just now. I've watched an Anzac Day game there before. Good atmosphere and hipster free.

Melbourne Public is the one your thinking of.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5486 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Corona Man » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:24 am

Spargo wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Melbourne Public is the one your thinking of.

Yep that's the one Spargo.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Crown. Always Crown. haha.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times