Best and Worst of 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Best and Worst of 2016

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:37 pm

I've seen a couple of them paid in the SANFL, as you note by the book, for a ball that has bounced sideways after being disposed of by a player being tackled. I hope that wasn't the intent of the rule makers to have these paid as free kicks, for me it just goes right against how our game has and should be umpired.

I still think the intent of the AFL rule is better, the interpretation is clearly not so.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10792 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:52 pm

I saw the west v glenelg match on TV and the last kick out of bounds wasn't paid correctly
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11860 times
Been liked: 3605 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:44 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The worst

The AFL giving the Hawks a dream run again
Thursday night footy
The umpiring 'rule of the week'
The Bye rounds
Week off before finals
Score review - should be All or nothing at all venues

The Good
Some of the teams that have been closer to the spoon than the 8 in recent years heading in the right direction.
The closeness of the top 8

Do you mean the draw by us having all our double up games against teams below us on the ladder?
Or having the 2nd most 6 day breaks?
Or the most interstate trips out of all the Victorian teams?

I am shocked that it took 13 posts before a Geelong fan mentioned the Hawks and even more shocked that you are still the only one. Does this mean there is a sense of resignation amongst the also rans?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:49 pm

Booney wrote:I've seen a couple of them paid in the SANFL, as you note by the book, for a ball that has bounced sideways after being disposed of by a player being tackled. I hope that wasn't the intent of the rule makers to have these paid as free kicks, for me it just goes right against how our game has and should be umpired.

I still think the intent of the AFL rule is better, the interpretation is clearly not so.

And the ones that shit me is when a player on the run has a shot for goal and the ball goes out of bounds. That's not a free kick for me
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:53 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:I've seen a couple of them paid in the SANFL, as you note by the book, for a ball that has bounced sideways after being disposed of by a player being tackled. I hope that wasn't the intent of the rule makers to have these paid as free kicks, for me it just goes right against how our game has and should be umpired.

And the ones that shit me is when a player on the run has a shot for goal and the ball goes out of bounds. That's not a free kick for me

To be fair scenario that had crept into the AFL as a genuine tactic last year, players 80m out would kick to the pocket and get a throw in. So in that case i dont mind it, again its up to interpretation between what youre saying and what im saying
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:56 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

To be fair scenario that had crept into the AFL as a genuine tactic last year, players 80m out would kick to the pocket and get a throw in. So in that case i dont mind it, again its up to interpretation between what youre saying and what im saying

I get that for sure but have seen a few in the SANFL this year where players have shanked kicks from 25-30m out and a free is paid. Don't think players deliberately try to miss from there
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Spargo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:24 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I saw the west v glenelg match on TV and the last kick out of bounds wasn't paid correctly

On more than one occasion which would've resulted in shots for goal.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5492 times
Been liked: 5136 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:52 pm

Yep the SANFL has been inconsistent all year with how the out of bounds rule has been applied!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5595 times
Been liked: 2533 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby TEX07 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:31 am

Have really disliked the "protected area" 50 mtr penalty. I dont know what the AFL are actually trying to stop happening here and the penalty is way too severe. Creates near certain goals from the boundary. Then stemming from this I cant stand seeing an AFL player having a shot at goal and turning on his side to snap it, try teaching a kid to kick a drop punt!

I like the out of bounds rule when it is applied when a player is not under pressure, too often they gave them when a player has a quick kick out of defence whilst under massive pressure. Their intentions are definitely to get it out of the area and out of bounds BUT no more than when the same defender chooses to punch the footy over the line in a marking contest instead of marking it.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Grahaml » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:57 am

TEX07 wrote:Have really disliked the "protected area" 50 mtr penalty. I dont know what the AFL are actually trying to stop happening here and the penalty is way too severe. Creates near certain goals from the boundary. Then stemming from this I cant stand seeing an AFL player having a shot at goal and turning on his side to snap it, try teaching a kid to kick a drop punt!

I like the out of bounds rule when it is applied when a player is not under pressure, too often they gave them when a player has a quick kick out of defence whilst under massive pressure. Their intentions are definitely to get it out of the area and out of bounds BUT no more than when the same defender chooses to punch the footy over the line in a marking contest instead of marking it.

What nonsense. If a bloke is better kicking that way, why waste time getting a drop punt better? The players should care about accuracy and nothing else. If kicking around a corner is going to get the goal more often, then do it. Heck, I got no problem if a bloke is dead in front and wants to kick around the corner if that works. Just because the old timers don't like the look of it, doesn't mean it's a bad option. There was probably a similar outcry when people started using the drop punt. I imagine "learn to do a drop kick" and "learn to do a place kick" would have been common cries at a footy game in bygone eras.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby TEX07 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:20 am

Grahaml wrote:
TEX07 wrote:Have really disliked the "protected area" 50 mtr penalty. I dont know what the AFL are actually trying to stop happening here and the penalty is way too severe. Creates near certain goals from the boundary. Then stemming from this I cant stand seeing an AFL player having a shot at goal and turning on his side to snap it, try teaching a kid to kick a drop punt!

What nonsense. If a bloke is better kicking that way, why waste time getting a drop punt better? The players should care about accuracy and nothing else. If kicking around a corner is going to get the goal more often, then do it. Heck, I got no problem if a bloke is dead in front and wants to kick around the corner if that works. Just because the old timers don't like the look of it, doesn't mean it's a bad option. There was probably a similar outcry when people started using the drop punt. I imagine "learn to do a drop kick" and "learn to do a place kick" would have been common cries at a footy game in bygone eras.

I said try teaching a kid to kick a drop punt. The kids I coach all try and do these kicks around the corner rather than attempt to kick a straight drop punt and this is purely because they see players do it all the time. You seriously think that its a good practise to be dead in front and turn to the side and snap the footy for goal? If you are a Joe Daniher and have other elements to your game thats accepted I suppose but there are not many of these types of players in the AFL and I guarantee you by the look on his face after kicking his goals on Sunday he would prefer to be a better set shot. If the AFL ever drops the protected area rule then he is cooked. I wold hate to be a defender in the modern game the rules are dead set against you which is why defenders who leak few goals are such gems IMO.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:03 am

Some of the 50m penalties, just too harsh. Surely we need a 25m/15m penalty for some of these incidents
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:09 am

This. Players on a 45° angle, 30m out, turning sideways and "snapping" it. Oh, but we practice it. Why not practice kicking it straight?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10792 times

Postby JK » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:11 am

Grahaml wrote:

Agree with that to a degree - Whatever gives a player the best chance of converting, then go with it. However eventually he's going to need to use a drop punt for goal, so there will be a time he can't hide from his problem/deficiency.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:22 am

Clubs should hire Jacko for goal kicking drills
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:41 am

TEX07 wrote:I like the out of bounds rule when it is applied when a player is not under pressure, too often they gave them when a player has a quick kick out of defence whilst under massive pressure. Their intentions are definitely to get it out of the area and out of bounds BUT no more than when the same defender chooses to punch the footy over the line in a marking contest instead of marking it.

Isn't it funny - you're allowed to rush a behind if you're under pressure, but if it misses the points and goes over the boundary line you give away a free kick :shock:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4008 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Zartan wrote:
TEX07 wrote:I like the out of bounds rule when it is applied when a player is not under pressure, too often they gave them when a player has a quick kick out of defence whilst under massive pressure. Their intentions are definitely to get it out of the area and out of bounds BUT no more than when the same defender chooses to punch the footy over the line in a marking contest instead of marking it.

Isn't it funny - you're allowed to rush a behind if you're under pressure, but if it misses the points and goes over the boundary line you give away a free kick :shock:

Which is wrong and another reason they need to piss it off, if you're deliberately trying to concede a point you're not deliberately trying to put it out of bounds, you're trying to avoid it. Dumb rule with dumb interpretations.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2051 times
Been liked: 3897 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:14 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Clubs should hire Jacko for goal kicking drills

Don't let him take any shots at goal unless you're prepared to buy the footys back at Cash Convertors.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:35 pm

JK wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

Agree with that to a degree - Whatever gives a player the best chance of converting, then go with it. However eventually he's going to need to use a drop punt for goal, so there will be a time he can't hide from his problem/deficiency.

Like, after the siren for instance, when the pressure is insummountable.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby JK » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:46 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Like, after the siren for instance, when the pressure is insummountable.

Yep, or from 50, or on the run where opponents restrict his movement
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL