Kids Eating Habits

Anything!

Re: Kids Eating Habits

Postby Pseudo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:03 am

Crumbed chops? Apricot chicken? Would have been luxury in my childhood.

I grew up with a rabid vegetarian for a father.

For years and years I thought nutmeat - a vegetarian protein loaf which comes out of a tin and can be cut into convenient slices - was actual meat. Nutmeat, chips and egg was a standard "quick meal" at our place.

Not that we ate vegetarian as a rule. Mum cooked meat more often than not, she just didn't serve it to the old man. There is a certain irony about being cajoled into eating your meat by a bloke who does not touch the stuff himself.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Magellan » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:11 am

Booney wrote:Was one of those things, that along with quail and chook were always out in the backyard, helped the old man tend to them as a little tacker and never thought much about it as that was just what we did.

Quail and pigeon were rare, we didn't have them often. Usually when the population expanded and needed to be kept in check! :D

Also had pheasants, the odd sheep, even had an owl in the shed once! The old man worked for Ansett, someone brought in an owl from interstate, never collected in and being the early 80's it was whoever wanted it, so it came home and lived in the shed briefly before escaping.

For some clarity, we lived on a double block in Brooklyn Park, 1/4 acre with house and yard and then another 1/4 acre behind us that was ours, had a myriad of chook pens and enclosures and a massive shed.

That's quite the cornucopia. Boon by name, boon by nature. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:26 am

amber_fluid wrote:The Ol' crumbed chops!
Loved it.
The old lady used to serve that weekly with mashed potato and peas and carrots.
Probably not all that good on the waistline but tasted great!

I have the urge for crumbed chops for tea. Screw it told the wife i am cooking tea.
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:31 am

Pseudo wrote:Crumbed chops? Apricot chicken? Would have been luxury in my childhood.

For years and years I thought nutmeat - a vegetarian protein loaf which comes out of a tin and can be cut into convenient slices - was actual meat. Nutmeat, chips and egg was a standard "quick meal" at our place.

Not that we ate vegetarian as a rule. Mum cooked meat more often than not, she just didn't serve it to the old man. There is a certain irony about being cajoled into eating your meat by a bloke who does not touch the stuff himself.

All the long term posters on this site are relieved to have a better understanding of you. There were, previously, lots of unanswered questions. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Pseudo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Booney wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Crumbed chops? Apricot chicken? Would have been luxury in my childhood.

All the long term posters on this site are relieved to have a better understanding of you. There were, previously, lots of unanswered questions. ;)

Pfffft. The mental hangups incurred from being brought up by a vegetarian are nothing compared with the deep psychological scars inflicted by a lifetime of supporting Glenelg.
Pseudo
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:54 pm

As a kid I loved my mother's Cornish pasties which she had learned to make from my paternal grandmother (who was Cornish).
She also did a good stew but we fought when she tried to make me eat Brussels Sprouts, Liver, or Kidney.

The only fast food was Fish and Chips on Saturday nights, bought on the way home from Norwood matches at a shop in Hindmarsh - possibly Manton St.
My preferred lolly choices were Mint Leaves, Choo Choo Bars , and White Knights, although Bullets sometimes got a gurnsey.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby therisingblues » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:50 pm

I hate it when bakeries put CORN in their CORNISH PASTIES!!! If ever there was a food that did not belong in a pasty it is CORN!
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magellan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:52 am

therisingblues wrote:I hate it when bakeries put CORN in their CORNISH PASTIES!!! If ever there was a food that did not belong in a pasty it is CORN!

Maybe they thought 'cornish' is the adjective that describes something with corn in it. You know, like cornish beef or cornish popcorn? ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:55 am

Magellan wrote:
therisingblues wrote:I hate it when bakeries put CORN in their CORNISH PASTIES!!! If ever there was a food that did not belong in a pasty it is CORN!

Maybe they thought 'cornish' is the adjective that describes something with corn in it. You know, like cornish beef or cornish popcorn? ;)

Well I for one won't be trying their cumquat jam.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:58 am

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Or anything garnished with shiitake mushrooms.
Magellan
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Or anything garnished with shiitake mushrooms.

Or their Ned Kelly Pie...

I think it has been Outlawed...
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1206 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:37 pm

Magellan wrote:

I hate popcorn with CORN in it!
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:07 am

therisingblues wrote:
Magellan wrote:

BTW, when you said 'pasty', perhaps you meant those little adhesive things strippers stick over their nipples?

If so, please give me the address of your 'bakery'. ;)
Magellan
Coach

Postby stampy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:12 pm

JK wrote:Does or did, anyone here have any trouble with their kids being bad or fussy eaters?

My eldest is excellent, if anything eats too much, but he can pack away food of good substance.

For my youngest though, if it isn't hot chips or Sausages he won't eat it, and obviously we're not letting him have those things too often. He's about to turn 6 and has always been this way, if anything getting worse. Anyone else been through similar that might have any suggestions?

about half the population has this problem jk, my 11yr old wont even look at a vegetable, whereas mr6 will eat anything
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby therisingblues » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:39 am

Magellan wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Magellan wrote:

BTW, when you said 'pasty', perhaps you meant those little adhesive things strippers stick over their nipples?

If so, please give me the address of your 'bakery'. ;)

I, as yet, do not have a generic policy on Cornish nipples. Strictly a case by case basis.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:52 am

therisingblues wrote: I, as yet, do not have a generic policy on Cornish nipples. Strictly a case by case basis.

I think you can almost see one of those in this pic:

Magellan
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:49 pm

Well, I wouldn't argue too much if that turned up at the bakery. Cornish is she?
Makes me want to say things like"Ohh, lassie! If I were a wee bit more'n twenty years younga I'd turn on a hefty bit a therisingblues charm and play a game a leprechauns an elves wi ye out n the paddock, then look fer yer pot o gold in the haystack after, so I would!"
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:55 am

therisingblues wrote:Well, I wouldn't argue too much if that turned up at the bakery. Cornish is she?
Makes me want to say things like"Ohh, lassie! If I were a wee bit more'n twenty years younga I'd turn on a hefty bit a therisingblues charm and play a game a leprechauns an elves wi ye out n the paddock, then look fer yer pot o gold in the haystack after, so I would!"

Why do you have to be younger? She likes older blokes.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:20 am

therisingblues wrote:Cornish is she?

Well, kinda. Cornes-ish.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:35 am

Not another Corney pun...
Pseudo
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion