Indubitably, round 20.

Talk on the national game

Re: Indubitably, round 20.

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:55 am

I love it how you quote that just to get it off your chest but completely ignore the other 2 points I raised in the same discussion that clearly said Geelong are as good a chance to win the whole thing as anyone.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:14 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I love it how you quote that just to get it off your chest but completely ignore the other 2 points I raised in the same discussion that clearly said Geelong are as good a chance to win the whole thing as anyone.

I just fail to see why you'd say Geelong didn't win a final when they finished tenth last year.
Bit hard to win a final when you're not playing finals!?!?
Instead of saying they finished outside the top 6 and failed to win a final wouldn't you just day they finished out the top 8 and failed to play in a final? :?
You either have a very weird way of saying something or have a poor memory. I wouldn't expect either from a Crows supporter! :lol:

PS You had 4 other points, not 2! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Grahaml » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:58 pm

I can only imagine he meant nobody has won a premiership the year after finishing outside top 6 and not winning a final or something. Not that it really means anything besides the fact that average sides can't just have a good patch and win a flag. Geelong's story is clearly different to most though. They were a finals contending side and then they brought in Dangerfield. There's as good a reason as any why a side might buck the trend and improve a lot more than usual from one year to the next.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:25 pm

So Geelong were a finals contending side that didn't contend in the finals? :?

Crows supporters are weird.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Fricky » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Wedgie wrote:So Geelong were a finals contending side that didn't contend in the finals? :?

Please don't paint us all with the same brush, we're not all as bad as you think.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Grahaml » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:36 pm

Wedgie wrote:So Geelong were a finals contending side that didn't contend in the finals? :?

So without Dangerfield Geelong wouldn't have made finals in your opinion? Interesting.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Grahaml wrote:I can only imagine he meant nobody has won a premiership the year after finishing outside top 6 and not winning a final or something. Not that it really means anything besides the fact that average sides can't just have a good patch and win a flag. Geelong's story is clearly different to most though. They were a finals contending side and then they brought in Dangerfield. There's as good a reason as any why a side might buck the trend and improve a lot more than usual from one year to the next.

Geelong 10th in 2006, premiers 2007...
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Grahaml » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:08 pm

Lol. The trolls are out in force today. Either that or a few fans aren't getting enough oxygen. He said "in the last 9 years" and I wasn't the one making the comment, just clarifying because Wedgie seemed to be struggling to follow.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:52 pm

Grahaml wrote:Lol. The trolls are out in force today. Either that or a few fans aren't getting enough oxygen. He said "in the last 9 years" and I wasn't the one making the comment, just clarifying because Wedgie seemed to be struggling to follow.

I just wanted it clarified as to how it was relevent a team that came 10th didn't win a final :?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:53 pm

Grahaml wrote:

So without Dangerfield Geelong wouldn't have made finals in your opinion? Interesting.

Without Dangerfield we wouldn't have made the finals last year?
Correct, we didn't have Dangerfield and we didn't make the finals. :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Grahaml » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:47 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Grahaml wrote:Lol. The trolls are out in force today. Either that or a few fans aren't getting enough oxygen. He said "in the last 9 years" and I wasn't the one making the comment, just clarifying because Wedgie seemed to be struggling to follow.

I just wanted it clarified as to how it was relevent a team that came 10th didn't win a final :?

I'll try my best to simplify it, but there just aren't enough monosyllabic words in the English language to suffice.

In the last 9 years, no premier has missed the finals the year before and ALL won a final in that preceding year. Geelong would be looking to buck that trend. Is it relevant? Probably not, but no doubt it's a point that was made and is accurate.

Wedgie wrote:Without Dangerfield we wouldn't have made the finals last year?

I like how you needed to add "last year" in there just to try to keep the troll alive. It's gone Wedgie, you can stop trying CPR.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:08 pm

Fair dinkum :lol:

The point is that Geelong were the last team to win the whole thing after either finishing outside the the top 6 after the minor round or finishing 7 or 8th and winning a final. Adelaide was the team that did it previously. Geelongs team that did that then went on to become one of modern days best teams (that was an exceptional circumstance with great players finally emerging). History suggests you need to have at least played in a final the previous year to win the whole thing. Geelong didn't and weren't good enough. There is obviously something worth taking note of, it's happened only once in the last 18 years. It suggests the majority of that playing group together have been to hell and back together as a group and are battle hardened.

The other 2 points I raised We're that an injury or bad quarter can throw the whole thing on its head for anyone in the running. So I am saying history's trends this year could easily be broken as there are so many different factors compared to previous years. Starting the finals with a bye is a real wild card
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:27 pm

Cats won't win the flag.
Straight sets
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:14 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Cats won't win the flag.
Straight sets

Pigs Arse!!!!!!
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:17 am

Grahaml wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Without Dangerfield we wouldn't have made the finals last year?

I like how you needed to add "last year" in there just to try to keep the troll alive. It's gone Wedgie, you can stop trying CPR.

But we were talking about last year, you quoted me staying how Geelong didn't win a final in 2015 from 10th position!
And your post was in past tense so it couldn't have referred to finals this year which haven't happened yet!
Why so rude?

As for this year, Geelong should make the finals for several reasons including not having the worst draw, less injuries to key players and yes, the addition of the best player in the competition.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby MatteeG » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:20 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Cats won't win the flag.
Straight sets

Can always count on MT for a reverse psychology post!!!
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Computer Crashed » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Spargo wrote:
MW wrote:
Computer Crashed wrote:Kangas supporter myself.
Picked the dogs because we are too old and slow.
Nice work Brad & James you tools.

James Brayshaw ? Not sure what he did wrong

Me neither - let's see amongst other things...
Led the "Keep North, South" charge, resisting the AFL's want for us to relocate to the Gold Coast & securing our future in Melbourne
Has all but wiped one of the biggest club debts in the league, we now trade yearly with a handsome profit
Oversaw the upgrade of the Arden Street training facilities, now one of the most modern going around
Continued to secure big name major sponsors & countless corporate partners in a cut throat market
Should I go on?
(Also it is not widely known the amount of his own money he's tipped in to the club with no fanfare or publicity)

Brad Scott - 2 straight Prelims, apart from Hawthorn no one's done better the last 2 years*
* I am not accepting making prelims as being successful, simply making a point.

Wouldn't that be all mandatory ?
Other mandatory thing would be to plan ahead on the park.
Fail.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 pm

Read this thread from rd 20 from last year and tell me if the premier was apparent??

Anyone saying the flag is any teams to lose ATM is making a BS (big Statement)

With the bye rd pre-finals any team in the top seven (well maybe not Port) is going to be in with sniff of winning it.

Seriously you can make a case for any of Adelaide, GWS, Richmond, Geelong, Sydney and Bulldogs winning the flag this year and equally why they will not.

Another even final series coming up with every time going to have to be "on" their game each final to ensure a win.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby gossipgirl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:04 pm

am Bays wrote:Read this thread from rd 20 from last year and tell me if the premier was apparent??

Anyone saying the flag is any teams to lose ATM is making a BS (big Statement)

With the bye rd pre-finals any team in the top seven (well maybe not Port) is going to be in with sniff of winning it.

Seriously you can make a case for any of Adelaide, GWS, Richmond, Geelong, Sydney and Bulldogs winning the flag this year and equally why they will not.

Another even final series coming up with every time going to have to be "on" their game each final to ensure a win.

But surely Geelong are still favourites with a well rested Danger coming back
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL