Brisbane 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Brisbane 2016

Postby UK Fan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Never heard of him

Quicker Brisbane get Leigh Matthews away from the club the better IMHO!!!
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:38 pm

Nonsense. Lethal's not the problem.

The problem is an inability to retain quality players over the past six years, not helped by the removal of the salary cap allowance.
Obviously it all starts at home though and getting things right at a basic level at the club, which the Lions have failed to do for some time now.
But the tide has started to turn, with nearly every player on the list signed for 2018 and beyond.

Getting a new facility at the airport would help too as the Gabba is run down and nowhere near AFL standard anymore.

Not sure about Leppa.
I genuinely feel for the guy, because he tore the list down and this was his first year in charge with the list he wanted.
Injuries didn't help, but blowouts like the past two weeks certainly bring his coaching ability into question.
Why not stop the bleeding with extra players in defence? 100+ point routs are no good for anyone's confidence.

If they go down the path of getting a new coach, any thoughts on who?
Obviously Ratten's name has been mentioned, but Bomber Thompson is the one I'd be after.
Has experience at rebuilding a list and also has a bit of stature, which is important in the fickle Qld market.
I see Sumich has just signed at West Coast, but if they were to nab him it wouldn't be the first time the Lions stole an assistant from the Eagles like that (2009 Voss).
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby helicopterking » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Montgomerie leaving Bulldogs is suspicious. I'd say he would be a candidate.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby stan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:57 pm

helicopterking wrote:Montgomerie leaving Bulldogs is suspicious. I'd say he would be a candidate.

Actually yes a assistant leaving a club that will play finals before the season is out seems to open a few questions.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby westozfalcon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:15 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:Nonsense. Lethal's not the problem.

The problem is an inability to retain quality players over the past six years, not helped by the removal of the salary cap allowance.
Obviously it all starts at home though and getting things right at a basic level at the club, which the Lions have failed to do for some time now.
But the tide has started to turn, with nearly every player on the list signed for 2018 and beyond.

Getting a new facility at the airport would help too as the Gabba is run down and nowhere near AFL standard anymore.

Not sure about Leppa.
I genuinely feel for the guy, because he tore the list down and this was his first year in charge with the list he wanted.
Injuries didn't help, but blowouts like the past two weeks certainly bring his coaching ability into question.
Why not stop the bleeding with extra players in defence? 100+ point routs are no good for anyone's confidence.

Obviously Ratten's name has been mentioned, but Bomber Thompson is the one I'd be after.
Has experience at rebuilding a list and also has a bit of stature, which is important in the fickle Qld market.
I see Sumich has just signed at West Coast, but if they were to nab him it wouldn't be the first time the Lions stole an assistant from the Eagles like that (2009 Voss).

The Gabba worked OK for those blokes back in 2001-2004!

Collingwood has arguably the best facilities in the AFL and it's not turning the team into a powerhouse.

It all comes down to astute coaching and commitment from players (in our case a lack thereof).
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby JK » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:23 am

Not sure about Leppa.

Would Brissy have the $$ to spend on additional cap anyway?

I think Leppa was always going to oversee a rebuild, and one thing that hasn't helped is they actually scored a couple of good wins in his first season in charge, that perhaps masked the amount of development the list still required.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:04 am

westozfalcon wrote:

Not sure about Leppa.

The Gabba worked OK for those blokes back in 2001-2004!

Collingwood has arguably the best facilities in the AFL and it's not turning the team into a powerhouse.

It all comes down to astute coaching and commitment from players (in our case a lack thereof).

Back then it was first class!
Now it's a shambles.

Like I said, it would help. Not going to fix things straight away, but every bit helps, particularly in attracting players to the club.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Daniel Merrett has announced that he will retire from football at the end of 2016.

The 31-year-old informed the Lions playing group of his decision on Tuesday afternoon.

Taking on some of the game’s best key forwards, Merrett has been a mainstay in the Lions’ backline since 2005 after initially being drafted as a forward at the end of 2002.

He will notch up a career milestone next weekend by lining up against St Kilda at Etihad Stadium in his 200th AFL game and farewell match.

Merrett said he felt the time was right to hang up the boots after 14 seasons at the Brisbane Lions.

“I can’t really talk, but I suppose you know what I’m going to say,” an emotional Merrett told players and staff.

“I thought I wanted to play on next year, I thought if you’re able to play, if you’re capable – keep going. But, I probably sat down on the weekend and thought, what do I value in life the most? And that’s my family.

“For the last five years it’s been bloody hard, copping 60, 70 inside 50s every week playing full back on the best forwards, it’s bloody stressful,” he laughed.

“I just want to give more time to my family and it probably feels like a little bit of the fire has burnt out inside. The one thing that has kept me going is the knowledge I can share with the younger guys, particularly the defenders. It’s one of the main reasons I play.

“I can see the future is so bright.

“For the last 12 years I’ve been playing seniors we haven’t had a whole deal of success. It’s been pretty tough but I wouldn’t give it up for anything.

“How can you complain about this job? I’ve never taken it for granted. It’s shown this year with Jase (Justin) Clarke something can be taken away from you in a second.

“When I got drafted, I was a bit of a spud. I was probably taken on potential more than anything. I’m pretty proud of where I’ve come from.”

Merrett will continue to help out at the Club next season, guiding the Lions’ young defenders as well as helping out in welfare.

“Hopefully we get through this week and next week’s my 200th , I’ll hang them up after that. It’s something I’ll really be proud of.

“We’ve had a lot of outside noise but as a group we’ve been solid. It has been enjoyable around the Club.

“It’s the best job in the world and to do it as long as I did, I’m very grateful for that.”
Last edited by Booney on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:06 pm

What's the end of the last sentence?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Well done sauce, got everything out of the limited ability he had
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:29 am

Not sure about Leppa.

Of course it's nonsense, it's UK Fan.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:39 pm

Drove past the Gabba earlier today. Sign out the front still promoting the game against Carlton... Perhaps they are hoping to lure in a few more Queenslanders this weekend by telling them they have the Blues 2 weeks straight!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3482 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:39 pm

Corona Man wrote:Drove past the Gabba earlier today. Sign out the front still promoting the game against Carlton... Perhaps they are hoping to lure in a few more Queenslanders this weekend by telling them they have the Blues 2 weeks straight!

Get to the Cats game. You can buy me a beer! :)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Spangas » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:40 pm

Leppitsch gone.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Fricky » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Spangas wrote:Leppitsch gone.

No surprises in this decision.

Who takes over? On radio they are saying that the next coach will have completed the Level 4 Coaching course so that narrows in down. I don't know the names of who has done the level 4, Dew is one but I haven't heard his name mentioned at all to get the job.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:44 pm

Suri wrote:
Spangas wrote:Leppitsch gone.

No surprises in this decision.

Who takes over? On radio they are saying that the next coach will have completed the Level 4 Coaching course so that narrows in down. I don't know the names of who has done the level 4, Dew is one but I haven't heard his name mentioned at all to get the job.

Peter Sumich?
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Gozu » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:45 pm

I would've thought they would wait a few days before sacking Leppitsch but no gone the day after their season ends, he still had a year to go on his contract but wasn't exactly a surprise.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby JK » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Not saying it would be the Brisbane gig, or even a senior role, but Montgomery leaving the finals bound Bulldogs early surely suggests he has something else lined up?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:51 pm

Malthouse just warming back with The Recruit to make a 2017 comeback
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Spangas » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:00 pm

As long as they are not a former Lions player I'll be happy.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL