Can Rory Sloane play 1st final for the Ravens?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Can Rory Sloane play 1st final for the Ravens?

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:31 am

If he accepts his one match ban he misses this week against WCE but is then free to play, however AFL has the weekend off but the Ravens will be playing their first final, I presume because the AFL team is playing finals he can represent the Ravens, is this correct?

If he doesn't he would have played 20th August then Qualifying Final. One game in 5 weeks leading into the Prelim should they win the first week, not ideal.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2325 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Re: Can Rory Sloane play 1st final for the Ravens?

Postby matt35 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:44 am

I think you are correct to suggest he would be eligible to play. However, in the event that the Crows are scheduled for a Thursday night final, as is being speculated should it be played here, he would certainly not be selected.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:46 am

matt35 wrote:I think you are correct to suggest he would be eligible to play. However, in the event that the Crows are scheduled for a Thursday night final, as is being speculated should it be played here, he would certainly not be selected.

They wouldn't play him for a quarter or half? Don't tell me they wouldn't think about it!!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:50 am

Would love to see the Dogs players run through him if he plays
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby beef » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:03 am

Cant think of any reason why they would select him. They will just flog him at training, no point risking an injury
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:05 am

No way would they give him 5 days rest till their first final!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby matt35 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:13 am

I may be wrong but I actually don't think that the EBA between the players association and the AFL allows for players to have five day breaks.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:47 am

matt35 wrote:I may be wrong but I actually don't think that the EBA between the players association and the AFL allows for players to have five day breaks.

Happens when Anzac Day is midweek.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby stan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:56 am

Dutchy wrote:
matt35 wrote:I may be wrong but I actually don't think that the EBA between the players association and the AFL allows for players to have five day breaks.

Happens when Anzac Day is midweek.

That maybe an exception to the rule which would likely be documented as well as part of the agreement. Players would want to be part of Anzac day hence the AFLPA would have signed off on tha. But not for this situation, I would doubt they would risk him in the SANFL.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby goddy11 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:59 am

Big drawcard for the SANFL finals if he plays.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 pm

goddy11 wrote:Big drawcard for the SANFL finals if he plays.

4000 will turn up!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:50 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Big drawcard for the SANFL finals if he plays.

4000 will turn up!

regards,

REB

That's a lot of Rory Sloanes.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:50 pm

If Brodie Smith misses this week with concussion, but is ok and they want to give him a run in the SANFL, then that is a possibility as well. Smith and Sloane would boost the side, just a bit...

By the way, I think they should be able to play. That is what Reserves sides are for. I remember many years ago (possibly 2006) the Eagles league side had the first week of finals off, but Reserves were playing against West at Richmond in a final. Crows must have still been in the AFL season, but also had a bye, so the Eagles reserves had the likes of Burton, Shirley, Hentschel etc all playing for them. They smashed West as expected.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Aerie wrote:If Brodie Smith misses this week with concussion, but is ok and they want to give him a run in the SANFL, then that is a possibility as well. Smith and Sloane would boost the side, just a bit...

By the way, I think they should be able to play. That is what Reserves sides are for. I remember many years ago (possibly 2006) the Eagles league side had the first week of finals off, but Reserves were playing against West at Richmond in a final. Crows must have still been in the AFL season, but also had a bye, so the Eagles reserves had the likes of Burton, Shirley, Hentschel etc all playing for them. They smashed West as expected.

I am pretty sure they would not have been allowed to play for a League side though. They would have been forced to play for the lowest ranked Reserves side that was playing, if their own side did not have a Reserves side playing. Is there still a qualification rule for SANFL finals (such as having had to play 3 games during the season)? If not, there is nothing to stop the Crows playing anyone they like in the Elimination Final.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:33 pm

beef wrote:Cant think of any reason why they would select him. They will just flog him at training, no point risking an injury

I know he's popular, but they might be better off getting him to do some running and skills work.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:40 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
Aerie wrote:If Brodie Smith misses this week with concussion, but is ok and they want to give him a run in the SANFL, then that is a possibility as well. Smith and Sloane would boost the side, just a bit...

I am pretty sure they would not have been allowed to play for a League side though. They would have been forced to play for the lowest ranked Reserves side that was playing, if their own side did not have a Reserves side playing. Is there still a qualification rule for SANFL finals (such as having had to play 3 games during the season)? If not, there is nothing to stop the Crows playing anyone they like in the Elimination Final.

There would be a restriction that if they played the last AFL game they couldn't just drop back, but in this case Sloane will miss the WCE game therefore the next "club" game they have is the Elimination Final.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby therisingblues » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:
matt35 wrote:I think you are correct to suggest he would be eligible to play. However, in the event that the Crows are scheduled for a Thursday night final, as is being speculated should it be played here, he would certainly not be selected.

They wouldn't play him for a quarter or half? Don't tell me they wouldn't think about it!!

Big possibility of that happening I think Dutchy. Let him wreck havoc for a quarter or so in match conditions, then rest up.
He would probably get the Crows up by about ten goals in that time, enough to see them past the Dogs. Then they've still go their reserves squad oied for another week.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby stan » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:30 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Big possibility of that happening I think Dutchy. Let him wreck havoc for a quarter or so in match conditions, then rest up.
He would probably get the Crows up by about ten goals in that time, enough to see them past the Dogs. Then they've still go their reserves squad oied for another week.

Noble on mmm pretty ruled that out. Unlikely to see him in the sanfl.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby goddy11 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:59 pm

stan wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Noble on mmm pretty ruled that out. Unlikely to see him in the sanfl.

Noble has no right to stop this thread. :D
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby therisingblues » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:38 pm

He actually said that he still hasn't spoken with Pyke about it, but he would think Sloane wouldn't play.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL