Round 23 - The bitter end, for some.

Talk on the national game

Re: Round 23 - The bitter end, for some.

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:43 pm

Giles what a spud!
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:44 pm

cracka wrote:Just read that tonight is the 1st time in 11 years that the Friday night game hasn't had at least 1 Victorian side playing.

Amazing peace of trivia!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:44 pm

BoundaryRider84 wrote:Giles what a spud!

"The Journeyman"
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:46 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Brodlach wrote:And what are the Crows fans thinking?

All talking about their Thursday night final and even the home prelim, I seem to remember the WCE being the team that upset the apple cart in 05 and 06, reckon history will repeat

I actually agree with you
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:47 pm

Corona Man wrote:For those of us missing the work of the great man (Boon) I am sorry to report, that I am unable to provide the in depth preview of the final round action. Wouldn't even attempt it.

The games:-

Adelaide Vs West Coast (FNF) - AO
Geelong Vs Melbourne - SS
Essendon Vs Carlton - MCG
Sydney Vs Richmond - SCG
North Melb VS GWS - Ethiad
Gold Coast Vs Port - Metricon
St. Kilda Vs Brisbane - Ethiad
Hawthorn Vs Collingwood - MCG
Fremantle Vs Western Bulldogs - Subiaco

Adelaide v West Coast

The great unwashed masses will flock to the Croval to watch the battle of the birds, or at the very least another scandal to outrage everyone on social media or the even dumber folk on radio 5AA. Their opponents are one Palm Tree short of a decent Ruck Division but somehow are rated a chance in this game by mug punters on the back of beating up on exhausted kids and even more exhausted pensioners on their home deck. Even Scott Morrision isn't as feared by the old folk as the flat track bullies have been swatting them away with aplomb in recent weeks.

Despite not having a real midfield, a couple of Tigers might be Crouching in the shadows and could pounce for the Blackbirds and you can expect the maggots to remind the Eagles they aren't in Kansas anymore. The Crows can cover the loss of the Sloane Ranger better than the Eagles can cover Nic Nat although the Eagles tall forward line does have the ammunition to be a bit of a Scarecrow.

I reckon the Crows win this one and go in nice and fluffed for their final against the Cats in a fortnight.

Adelaide by 23 points.

Geelong vs. Melbourne

The Cats have been unconvincing in recent weeks and look to be short of a genuine contender, at least when they play shit teams. Melbourne meanwhile have shown that the gap between their best and their worst is just as large as Geelong's. The Demons have dead set trolled their fans this season after rolling the Hawks and the Giants then losing to Carlton and Essendon and the Cats have been jokers themselves.

Geelong rarely lose at Cat Park but Demon fans will quite rightly point to last years horrorshow but I think the Cats might be safe as they don't have a club legend's milestone to play for. Last year Max Gawn unleashed Maximum Gawnage for the first time in his career and the Bearded Wonder hasn't looked back. However, this season not only do the Cats have a Ruckman they also have a midfield...it's twice as big as last year's.

It seems to this observer if you have a loose at the back and send a third up in the Ruck then Melbourne are stuffed. Bolton can see it, I can see it, but can Scott? That is the question.

Geelong by 16 points.

Essendon v Carlton

Melbourne fans who can't get one of the 12 allotted seats for opposition fans at Cat Park might be tempted to head down to watch this one with some rotten fruit to hurl at both teams in a match which is as riveting as Channel seven's cross promotion during the Olympics. However don't expect there to be as many ads because goals might be hard to come by in this one.

Brendan Goddard is back for this game so expect some enthusiastic finger pointing from a man who must be getting itchy fingers after his recent spell on the sidelines. When I were a lad these clashes were tough matches between two top sides but now they send this old man off on a blissful Poppy nap as I miss the ten goals that will be scored in first three quarters by both teams combined by Lemon Time.

Ah the good old days. Hell, stuff that, these sides are rubbish and it's a beautiful thing. Who's going to win? Oh, Carlton I suppose but with both teams stinking up the place Football is the winner.

Carlton by 8 points.

Sydney v Richmond

I think the Swannies are the best team in it and that Richmond are afraid to play Football so it might be a bit of a struggle to sit through this one as well. Richmond somehow has a good record against the Tiges of late with that memorable game earlier in the season a highlight of Richmond's season from Hell. But even the most deluded Tiger can't entertain thoughts of victory here. Even Damien Hardwick isn't Dimma nuff to suggest they might have win...well, maybe in public in private it would be '**** sake no chance'.

The Tigers actually look OK when they get the ball moving quickly (like anyone else really) but when your targets include Vickery, Elton and Griffiths and Jack Riewoldt who is leading about as much as Tom Hawkins lately you can understand the undermanned midfield's reluctance to take the game on. I think young Lloyd has looked good at times and I believe skipper Trent Cotchin deserves credit as he has upped the ante and attempted to toughen up his game and lead from the front.

The Swans are far too polished and it is the skill of youngsters Heeney, Mills and Papley who have injected some life into what was an already good team. I think they'll get their revenge on the Tiges and have a solid win.

Sydney by 52 points.

North Melbourne v GWS

Both of these teams should be on Masterchef as I reckon both are dead set cooked. What REB? The Giants cooked? Lay off the Bongs son! No, no hear me out..they couldn't beat the West Coast at home despite being three goals up at one stage. Earlier in the year at home they smashed the Hawks and also got the better of the Cats. Yeah they might have flogged the Dockers but everyone's been doing that this season so all bets are off.

Meanwhile Brad Scott has just taken a huge dump on the North fans by shooting Bambi. Who exactly was Boomer keeping out of the side? Yeah, it's not about 2017 said Brad but tearing up the fabric of your club to save your own underperforming arse is not an admirable quality. Meanwhile Drew Petrie comes out and says 'shame on you North fans' well, no one is saying you should stay Dish as you are more cooked than Luke Hodge and Scott Thompson combined. If he was Bacon he'd be carbon dated.

So can the young Giants win on the road or will the Roos bounce back? The Roos made a good account of themselves against the Swans and I think Scott has played the old Port 'us against them' card which served the Magpies so well in days of yore. I'm liking the Roos, but not before they kick it GWS twenty times first.

North by 14 points.

Gold Coast v Port

This game is so bad the Booney elected to leave the Country. Port showed that they can play when they show some heart which is why so many Port fans are celebrating the end of the season with 'thank **** it's over' parties instead of the traditional premiership celebrations of last century. At these parties they drink flat beer and hang up banners that say 'we exist to come tenth' while they sing along to INXS and cry into their rough shirts.

Meanwhile, up North the AFL have shown their lack of scientific nous because everyone knows what happens to plastic when it is left out in the sun. Sun God Gary Ablett has now missed the last few months with sunburn of the scone and some guy who was really good at Juniors wants out and wants to be traded to the club with the most comfortable medical rooms.

I reckon Port are no chance of containing the big forwards of the Suns although it is a positive that West Torrens star Jimmy Toumpas is being left behind in Adelaide and missing the end of year piss up at the Goldie. If you can't play well in a showdown with that sort of reward then your career is probably over. Toumpas used to be indecisive..now he's not so sure. I am not indecisive...Gold Coast to win.

Gold Coast by 31 points.

St Kilda vs. Brisbane

This might be an attractive fixture in a couple of years but right now it blows harder than 20 buck hooker. Brisbane are clearly the worst side in the competition right now but once they leave school they might go ok unless they all get snaffled by Hawthorn in two years. They've already got a decent spine, something that Brad Scott might like instead of sacking club legends to look like he has. However, you just can't trust the Lions to kick the ball to their team mates for the entire match so this one is going to get ugly....Daniel Merrett 200 games thanks Sauce ugly.

If there is a team that doesn't mind a bit of front running it is St Kilda. When they are allowed to play their destructive type of football they move the ball about all over the place and in a few years they'll be a fair side. The Lions will put up a fight early but I reckon after that the Saints will go 'party time' and move into overdrive.

Saints to finish a promising year with a big win.

St Kilda by 71 points.

Hawthorn v Collingwood

Apparently all the Hawks need to get back to their awesome best is Matt Stevic and the sniff of freshly clipped Grass in September. This observer is not sure. While the West isn't an easy part of the world to get a win at, Hawthorn were rolled for the second time in three weeks when attempting to hang on to top spot. There is something un-Hawthorn about all of this. It's like Lewis getting suspended or Rioli not getting a free for ducking into a tackle.

I have said all year this year's ageing model Hawthorn is nothing without the umpires and last week proved this. Structurally they are missing Stratton as it forces Gibson to actually be a defender instead of a wide receiver and the loss of the improving Ceglar puts a lot of heat on Big Boy who is a dead set plodder.

But are the Pies good enough to win this weekend though? Of course it depends on which Pies team turns up. If they can wheel out Swannie to wave to the fans and crack a few coldies Buckley's boys might be able to upset the Hawthorn applecart which is full of apples and bandwagonners but they might only have apples this time next year. The Pies will need Pendlebury and Treloar to dominate and they just might. An opportunity for Grundy exists in this game and at the moment any team with tall forwards is a chance against Hawthorn as they are heavily undersized down back.

Yep, I've talked myself into it. The Pies will win by a famous margin with an obvious Hawk free in front of goal not called at the end. A perfect omen for the upcoming finals series.

Collingwood by 3 points.

Fremantle v Western Bulldogs

If it wasn't for Matty Pavlich you wouldn't get two men and a dog attending this one. After all, if Ross the boss doesn't care why should the fans? They've been more than patient and because of this you can expect a large turnout to farewell the greatest Docker of all time. With Lachie Neale a likely out and with Mundy treading water all of a sudden the much vaunted and rather large midfield has about as much beef as one of Ellen's parties.

The Bulldogs might be experimenting with a new all white jumper which is actually giant cotton balls in order to prevent injury. I reckon Luke will crack a Beveridge if they make it through the game without the Doctor helping yet another injured Dog off the field. Subi has some form for this as well so another injury would't surprise but even this cynical Cat fan hopes this doesn't happen.

In a complete non event the Bulldogs will run hard for the first half, get to six goal lead then win about nine easing up like Usian...like Usian, they'll Bolt it in.

Western Bulldogs by 58 points.

regards,

REB
Last edited by Rik E Boy on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:47 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
BoundaryRider84 wrote:Giles what a spud!

"The Journeyman"

56 games in 9 years at 4 clubs, i would say so....
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Postby carey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:50 pm

Giles has started alright tonight.

As have the Eagles must make these chances count tho
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby JK » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:51 pm

Geez Eagles destroying the Crows everywhere but the scoreboard
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:51 pm

If only West Coast could kick a goal!
All that and its only 1.4, bloody hell!
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Postby carey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:55 pm

Adelaide crowds literally have no idea.
carey
Coach

Postby carey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:00 pm

Wellingham is a proper spud
carey
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:00 pm

carey wrote:Adelaide crowds literally have no idea.

Never have, geez the Crows look nervous
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:00 pm

carey wrote:Adelaide crowds literally have no idea.

Balllllllllllllllllllllllllll -The sound of a West Coast player getting tackled.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:01 pm

How bad do the Crows look
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:02 pm

All the play and its 2.4 to 1.3, reckon Eagles gonna rue their chances
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:04 pm

Jenkins and Eddie havent touched it yet.
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:05 pm

Ballllllllll, Ballllllllll, Ballllllllll!!!!!
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Postby Brodlach » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:06 pm

Look slow and tired, Henderson and Cheney the only two that look likely
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Yeah but its only 1 point the difference
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Smart move by Sloane to take the week. Absolutely zero chance of the Crows winning a final without him
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL