"Fixing" the AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: "Fixing" the AFL

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:46 am

whufc wrote:I think the AFL should worry about getting its current finals system sorted and not having teams who have earnt a home final being forced to play at other grounds before it worries about others final systems

The AFL proving once again what a manufactured farce the competition really is

It's all about the money, money, money!!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:47 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:I think the AFL should worry about getting its current finals system sorted and not having teams who have earnt a home final being forced to play at other grounds before it worries about others final systems

The AFL proving once again what a manufactured farce the competition really is

It's all about the money, money, money!!

Yep yep yep
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby GWW » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:10 pm

If the AFL is legally obligated to adhere to a contract that says the Grand Final is to be played at the MCG, it needs to ensure that all clubs get a minimum of 3 games at the venue each season.

For the record, I'm barracking for Hawthorn today.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:26 pm

Get rid of two teams, Gold Coast and Hawthorn. ;)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:04 pm

Another alternative. Give the players three months off. Start pre season training 4 January. Have from whenever they finish the real season, till 4 January. That'd bring them back to an even playing field.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:59 pm

Why do we need a more even playing field? Do people think the top clubs now have just been good all the time? It's taken them years to become this successful, not overnight...
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:26 am

Bumping this.

There is something really wrong with our comp. Yep, the top teams stay top but there is little hope for teams down the bottom to reach the top with the current free agency situation. The draft really isn't working. Players decide where they are going to go, by naming their price and in essence, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

Where to from here?

I looked at the coaching panel from the Crows last night and seriously, there must be 16 people in the box. Do we need that much analysis???? Maybe limit it to 6?
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:35 am

Players are always going to see more currency in going to a top team than a bottom team. It's also a smart move long term as having "premiership player" in your bio opens up coaching and media opportunities plus I imagine it tends to give people an extra year on the end of their career or a new club is more likely to take a chance on them.

Easiest way to avoid that is to stop this nonsense that players can always say no to a trade, then when they're a free agent the club has no rights. If a player isn't a free agent, they go where the club sends them. Then we'll see a more equitable system of player movement.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:56 am

The AFL is at its best ATM, the fact that incompetent cheating teams aren't faring so well whilst well run competent teams remain near the top is a good thing in my eyes. It's a sporting comp, not a charity.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:56 am

Completely agree Grahaml

It's too lopsided at the moment and something needs to be done.

I really wanna see another Carlton premiership before I cark it but even I (being a young whippersnapper) can't see when that could possibly be. It seems the good teams just keep topping up and the rest of us keep propping them up!
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:57 am

Wedgie wrote:The AFL is at its best ATM, the fact that incompetent cheating teams aren't faring so well whilst well run competent teams remain near the top is a good thing in my eyes. It's a sporting comp, not a charity.

Geelong supporter.

Of course it's good.

BTW, how are North going?
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:00 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:The AFL is at its best ATM, the fact that incompetent cheating teams aren't faring so well whilst well run competent teams remain near the top is a good thing in my eyes. It's a sporting comp, not a charity.

Geelong supporter.

Of course it's good.

Exactly! I'm not asking them to change the rules of the SANFL so my club can win a flag. It's up to North to lift their game and not rely on charity.
The only thing that needs fixing is the fact one Victorian team has a huge disadvantage in rarely getting home finals and having to play home matches in the away teams city.

If things were fair Carlton wouldn't have won a flag since the 80s. You cheated your way to one in the 90s so should be more than happy.

Boohoo, your rant reminds me of poms who complain that don't get enough unemployment benefit.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:10 am

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Geelong supporter.

Of course it's good.

Exactly! I'm not asking them to change the rules of the SANFL so my club can win a flag. It's up to North to lift their game and not rely on charity.
The only thing that needs fixing is the fact one Victorian team has a huge disadvantage in rarely getting home finals and having to play home matches in the away teams city.

If this were fair Carlton wouldn't have won a flag since the 80s. You cheated your way to one in the 90s so should be more than happy.

Change the rules? That's the problem, they changed the rules to favour the top clubs!

When the free agency game in, Blind Freddie knew it was going to favour the top clubs.

It's now almost impossible to get back to the top under the current system. Carlton are lucky! We're now considered a club of preference (that's debatable I know) to players wanting to return to Victoria, but that's not the case for all clubs.

What's the chance O'Meara or someone similar finds their way to Hawthorn next season?

North have far more chance of reaching the top echelon under the SANFL system than Carlton do.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:34 am

So let me get this straight. Your team beat mine this year. Your team has had better draft picks than mine for approximately 15 years. Your club has consistently spent more on their football department especially coaches than mine. Your club gets more home games than mine, your club gets to play all of its finals in its home town. Your club had to cheat to win it's last flag. Your club chooses to recruit players like Nick Stevens, Chris Judd and Daisy Thomas while mine loses Gary Ablett Jnr to a basket case, your club chose Mick Malthouse as a coach. You want advantages?
Your club deserves and should get less!
Reminds me of the lazy bleeding hearts who think they deserve more in life than those who actually get off their arse and work for a living.

The AFL already advantages basket cases more than they should, even Port managed to be competitive for a year or two.

And of course North have more chance of winning a flag than Carlton do, there's less teams in the comp and as incompetently ran as they have been Carlton put them to shame in that department.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:56 am

Wedgie wrote:So let me get this straight. Your team beat mine this year. Your team has had better draft picks than mine for approximately 15 years. Your club has consistently spent more on their football department especially coaches than mine. Your club gets more home games than mine, your club gets to play all of its finals in its home town. Your club had to cheat to win it's last flag. Your club chooses to recruit players like Nick Stevens, Chris Judd and Daisy Thomas while mine loses Gary Ablest Jnr to a basket case, your club chose Mick Malthouse as a coach. You want advantages?
Reminds me of the lazy bleeding hearts who think they deserve more in life than those who actually get off their arse and work for a living.

And of course more chance of winning a flag than Carlton do, there's less teams in the comp and as incompetently ran as they have been Carlton put them to shame in that department.

Wegs, look at the big picture. We're stuffed for a myriad of reasons, most of them brought upon ourselves, but I'm talking about how clubs like us get our way out of our situation. It's not as easy as it was back in the old days. How do we get out of our mire? At the moment, we can't.

Take Cripps for example. if we lose him to WCE or Freo (his hometown) we might pick up another pick 1, but what good is that going to do us? He will rightly be after success. If we can't provide that, then he might go home. WCE will 'top up' with a player like Cripps and in the meantime we're just a feeder club for the top clubs (ie, Premier league) - oh hold on.....

Mind you... the topic was 'fixing' the AFL. I still think it's analysis paralysis but that's for another post or seven.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:26 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:So let me get this straight. Your team beat mine this year. Your team has had better draft picks than mine for approximately 15 years. Your club has consistently spent more on their football department especially coaches than mine. Your club gets more home games than mine, your club gets to play all of its finals in its home town. Your club had to cheat to win it's last flag. Your club chooses to recruit players like Nick Stevens, Chris Judd and Daisy Thomas while mine loses Gary Ablest Jnr to a basket case, your club chose Mick Malthouse as a coach. You want advantages?

And of course more chance of winning a flag than Carlton do, there's less teams in the comp and as incompetently ran as they have been Carlton put them to shame in that department.

Wegs, look at the big picture. We're stuffed for a myriad of reasons, most of them brought upon ourselves, but I'm talking about how clubs like us get our way out of our situation. It's not as easy as it was back in the old days. How do we get out of our mire? At the moment, we can't.

Take Cripps for example. if we lose him to WCE or Freo (his hometown) we might pick up another pick 1, but what good is that going to do us? He will rightly be after success. If we can't provide that, then he might go home. WCE will 'top up' with a player like Cripps and in the meantime we're just a feeder club for the top clubs (ie, Premier league) - oh hold on.....

Mind you... the topic was 'fixing' the AFL. I still think it's analysis paralysis but that's for another post or seven.

Melbourne, St Kilda and the Bulldogs seem to be doing alright at moving up the ladder.
Who have Carlton lost that they wanted to keep?
Hawthorn have lost 7 players to free agancy since its inception and traded players on the fringe to lower clubs for more opportunity as have Geelong. Swans have also lost players that they couldnt squeeze into COLA
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

"Fixing" the AFL

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:32 am

Clubs are bottom for a reason, it's up to the shit clubs like us to fix our own problems and rise up the ladder rather than bring the top sides down. Can't stand this equalisation crap, let it be a total free for all!
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby stan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Jim05 wrote:Clubs are bottom for a reason, it's up to the shit clubs like us to fix our own problems and rise up the ladder rather than bring the top sides down. Can't stand this equalisation crap, let it be a total free for all!

The reason why you are shit is slightly different to others. With the 10 -12 back next season plus the young kids who have stepped up this season you'll do ok.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:20 pm

stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Clubs are bottom for a reason, it's up to the shit clubs like us to fix our own problems and rise up the ladder rather than bring the top sides down. Can't stand this equalisation crap, let it be a total free for all!

The reason why you are shit is slightly different to others. With the 10 -12 back next season plus the young kids who have stepped up this season you'll do ok.

Not just talking about currently.
We havnt won a final in 15 years. I hate the idea of hobbling top sides rather than the bottom sides getting their house in order.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re:

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:03 pm

get rid of the salary cap?
gadj1976
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL