Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby King » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:Some ridiculously low scoring games in the u14's on the weekend :shock:

Grounds too big or poor weather conditions??
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:50 pm

MW wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:
MW wrote:I was walking my dog and came across Noarlunga v Brighton at Marion oval on the weekend. Two things stood out...the scoring to the sturt road end with the breeze was very noticeable, and the amount of swearing by the players was a tad too much, when my 6 year old daughter asks me "Daddy, what does f**king hell mean, those men keep saying it"

So concerned with my earlier post that I said it 3 times!!! Sorry people WiFi playing up.

Lots of scoring at one end because of strong wind and players swearing. Thanks for your input MW. What planet did you just arrive from?

Piss off idiot. Don't expect decent families to attend your rank competition with the redneck behavior of your players

Over 3000 posts to SA Footy and that is your response to a bit of humour in reply to - let's face it - a rather strange commentary about your observations. Seems as though you were looking for a response so you could then unload with a negative comment about the SFL. If you could walk your dog to Marion then you could also walk your dog to Kenilworth and Mitchell Park so give us a report about swearing and rednecks from those venues and be sure to check that the scoring end is the one that the wind is blowing!!!

And you are just jealous LGIL that he referred to our game as a bunch of rednecks because we know where every redneck in Adelaide was yesterday. And listening to the Tribe Crew did nothing to diminish that thought.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
MW wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:
MW wrote:I was walking my dog and came across Noarlunga v Brighton at Marion oval on the weekend. Two things stood out...the scoring to the sturt road end with the breeze was very noticeable, and the amount of swearing by the players was a tad too much, when my 6 year old daughter asks me "Daddy, what does f**king hell mean, those men keep saying it"

So concerned with my earlier post that I said it 3 times!!! Sorry people WiFi playing up.

Lots of scoring at one end because of strong wind and players swearing. Thanks for your input MW. What planet did you just arrive from?

Piss off idiot. Don't expect decent families to attend your rank competition with the redneck behavior of your players

Over 3000 posts to SA Footy and that is your response to a bit of humour in reply to - let's face it - a rather strange commentary about your observations. Seems as though you were looking for a response so you could then unload with a negative comment about the SFL. If you could walk your dog to Marion then you could also walk your dog to Kenilworth and Mitchell Park so give us a report about swearing and rednecks from those venues and be sure to check that the scoring end is the one that the wind is blowing!!!

And you are just jealous LGIL that he referred to our game as a bunch of rednecks because we know where every redneck in Adelaide was yesterday. And listening to the Tribe Crew did nothing to diminish that thought.

Was that more humour?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:59 pm

Maybe the tribe has spoken. It's time to go Brighton and Down the Hill.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby King » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Interesting scenario this w/e. Flaggies have both B & C grades playing finals. Therefore, according to SFL Inc. By-Laws (#10 Section 1 iv) we could play our A grade team from last week in the B's and the B grade from last week in the C's. Now this will not happen but it does show that a review of the rules is due. As a side issue and before you all refer to the by-law and howl me down, please let me explain. The term in the By-law which states, "no player shall play in a lower grade" means on the same w/e. That is, a player could not play both B and C on the same w/e. The term "more than one level below" means an A grader could not play C's. Again, before the howls come out, Flaggies hold an email from the SFL confirming that interpretation.
King
Under 16s

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:38 pm

I won't howl you down King because some of the by-laws could have been written better by kindergarten kids but surely another sub-section in the same by-law states that a player can only play B grade this week if he has played 4 or more games in B/C grade and no more than 12 A grade games. And provided any other player hasn't qualified for A grade only, then he can be picked in C grade if not selected for B grade due to open selection rule.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby King » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:18 pm

Down the Hill wrote:I won't howl you down King because some of the by-laws could have been written better by kindergarten kids but surely another sub-section in the same by-law states that a player can only play B grade this week if he has played 4 or more games in B/C grade and no more than 12 A grade games. And provided any other player hasn't qualified for A grade only, then he can be picked in C grade if not selected for B grade due to open selection rule.

DTH, the rules you state above are laid out in By Law 10 Sections 1 (11) and section 1(111) however section 1(1V) overrides those rules given that two senior teams are both playing finals on the same w/e. Absolutely agree with you regards wording and that's why clarification was sought from the SFL.

As an aside BDOS played a guy ( who's name I won't mention) in the C grade semi final against Flaggies who had played B grade the day before. BDOS were able to do this as the rule states "playing finals" whereas on that w/e your B grade was in the last minor round game. Again the wording needs to be looked at especially as the rules appear to be written without thought to the C grade competition.
King
Under 16s

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:43 pm

The correct interpretation and intent of many of the SFL by-laws is something our Secretary won't miss with our move to the SAAFL. The Hills League is currently having a huge blow up over finals permits for B grade. But the Fundamental rule is majority games in B grade qualifies you. So 9 A grade and 8 B grade makes you A grade only which seems fair enough but with a permit clause for special circumstances. I'm almost embarrassed to tell people that the SFL allows a bloke who has played 12 A grade and only 4 grade to play B grade finals.

As clubs we can only work to the rules as stated (or at least the ones we understand). We have been in many C grade finals series and know full well the quirky rules and how they apply when it is Round 18 in the Saturday stuff and 1st week of C grade finals. Nice of FH to get into a flap over said player but we knew what we could and couldn't do. We only had 20 fit eligible players without him so that's why we used him because he was qualified despite playing the day before in the B grade. Our only other option was to bring up an U18 if we still wanted 21.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:19 pm

Here is a story about how one Vic club got around league rules that wern't clear -

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/sport/ ... d57fd7704f
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:24 pm

King wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Some ridiculously low scoring games in the u14's on the weekend :shock:

Reynella 2.1 defeated HV 1.3 @ Marion...big ground but 7 scoring shots in 60 minutes of footy? Maybe ultra defensive set ups?

Christies 1.6 defeated MV 0.6 @ Christies...again a big ground but a heap of space to create scoring opportunities,

No rain or wet, maybe dew and maybe wind, when was the last time 1 goal won a final?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby SJP » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:46 am

Marion ground for the U14 game was dewy and damp. The last time these 2 teams played it was similar low scoring. Nothing scored in the first quarter was a great game to watch and nail biting for both sides.
SJP
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby shoe boy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:41 am

Down the Hill wrote:Should the Brighton U14s be concerned with this Shoe Boy. You saw our U14s yesterday and they are a small team with more 13 year olds than 14 year olds. Our team has one lad on a permit who is 10 days overage and looks about 12 and I can't recall him getting any more than a handful of touches yesterday. This is what the rule is intended!!!

Not at all DTH ,

Your lads where terrific and a good game with challenging conditions .

I see you have trained our former premiership player and life member well with his returning of the footy :D
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby King » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:08 am

King wrote:Interesting scenario this w/e. Flaggies have both B & C grades playing finals. Therefore, according to SFL Inc. By-Laws (#10 Section 1 iv) we could play our A grade team from last week in the B's and the B grade from last week in the C's. Now this will not happen but it does show that a review of the rules is due. As a side issue and before you all refer to the by-law and howl me down, please let me explain. The term in the By-law which states, "no player shall play in a lower grade" means on the same w/e. That is, a player could not play both B and C on the same w/e. The term "more than one level below" means an A grader could not play C's. Again, before the howls come out, Flaggies hold an email from the SFL confirming that interpretation.

The plot thickens!!
Reynella B grade were eliminated last w/e, but Reynella still have two senior sides playing SFL finals this w/e. The A's and C's. Therefore accordingly to the By-Law rule above their entire B grade team could play in the C grade GF. Conceivably we could have Reynella B grade vs Flaggies B grade in the C grade GF on Saturday night. Now this is clearly ridiculous but unless some clear guidelines are issued by the SFL the C grade GF could degenerate into a farce!
King
Under 16s

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:25 am

King wrote:
King wrote:Interesting scenario this w/e. Flaggies have both B & C grades playing finals. Therefore, according to SFL Inc. By-Laws (#10 Section 1 iv) we could play our A grade team from last week in the B's and the B grade from last week in the C's. Now this will not happen but it does show that a review of the rules is due. As a side issue and before you all refer to the by-law and howl me down, please let me explain. The term in the By-law which states, "no player shall play in a lower grade" means on the same w/e. That is, a player could not play both B and C on the same w/e. The term "more than one level below" means an A grader could not play C's. Again, before the howls come out, Flaggies hold an email from the SFL confirming that interpretation.

The plot thickens!!
Reynella B grade were eliminated last w/e, but Reynella still have two senior sides playing SFL finals this w/e. The A's and C's. Therefore accordingly to the By-Law rule above their entire B grade team could play in the C grade GF. Conceivably we could have Reynella B grade vs Flaggies B grade in the C grade GF on Saturday night. Now this is clearly ridiculous but unless some clear guidelines are issued by the SFL the C grade GF could degenerate into a farce!

I don't think anything needs to be done. The reserves grades are there to provide depth for the A-Grade and it is up to the club how they manage that.

Having said that, any club that does as you suggest is going to upset a lot of people. Any rule would be more to protect the clubs from themselves rather than any other reason. If a club wants to tear themselves apart trying to win a magoos flag then that is their problem. The main value is for the players involved, no one outside of the club gives a stuff by next year who won the 2016 C-Grade premiership.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby oneuponedown » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:44 am

Dutchy wrote:
King wrote:

Reynella 2.1 defeated HV 1.3 @ Marion...big ground but 7 scoring shots in 60 minutes of footy? Maybe ultra defensive set ups?

Christies 1.6 defeated MV 0.6 @ Christies...again a big ground but a heap of space to create scoring opportunities,

No rain or wet, maybe dew and maybe wind, when was the last time 1 goal won a final?[/quote]

Played in a 13's G/F, it was many moons ago at Bice - wet, windy, hailed at one point. Score line 1.0 Saints to Flies 0.3 points. No one Could kick the footy more than 20 metres.... Footy weighed more than most of us!!

Think you'll find if kids aren't taught to move the footy to space and look sideways / inboard the above scores is what you will see. Flaggy's do it well and have good positioning / structures through all junior grades IMO.
oneuponedown
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby King » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:55 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
King wrote:

The plot thickens!!

I don't think anything needs to be done. The reserves grades are there to provide depth for the A-Grade and it is up to the club how they manage that.

Having said that, any club that does as you suggest is going to upset a lot of people. Any rule would be more to protect the clubs from themselves rather than any other reason. If a club wants to tear themselves apart trying to win a magoos flag then that is their problem. The main value is for the players involved, no one outside of the club gives a stuff by next year who won the 2016 C-Grade premiership.

LGIL, I agree with every thing you state except the bit about doing nothing. I believe that no SFL club would go to the extreme that I have painted above. But where does it start and stop? 1 player, 2, 3, 4 ............... We need a clear rule so that no club over steps the mark either intentionally or by accident.
King
Under 16s

Postby afc9798 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:33 am

MW wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:

I think you just invalidated your own assertion about rednecks with that response. :oops: :oops:
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby fathersonsfl » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:49 am

shoe boy wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Should the Brighton U14s be concerned with this Shoe Boy. You saw our U14s yesterday and they are a small team with more 13 year olds than 14 year olds. Our team has one lad on a permit who is 10 days overage and looks about 12 and I can't recall him getting any more than a handful of touches yesterday. This is what the rule is intended!!!

Not at all DTH ,

Your lads where terrific and a good game with challenging conditions .

I see you have trained our former premiership player and life member well with his returning of the footy :D

Speaking to him after the game, his allegiance will always be at the Shoes though Shoe Boy.
fathersonsfl
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Animus » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:31 pm

Semi-Final weekend !

SF1: Port Noarlunga to upset Morphett Vale @ Christies Beach on Saturday

SF2: Reynella to beat Noarlunga @ Aldinga on Sunday
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:46 pm

Animus wrote:Semi-Final weekend !

SF1: Port Noarlunga to upset Morphett Vale @ Christies Beach on Saturday

SF2: Reynella to beat Noarlunga @ Aldinga on Sunday

[emoji15] Top 2 out in straight sets you reckon?

Has that ever happened before?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL