New Clubs for 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: New Clubs for 2017

Postby jo172 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:45 pm

For what it's worth circumstances conspired so that PNU fielded its worst C Grade in 5 years this year. From what I saw of this year we haven't had a C Grade in the last lustrum that would have beaten SW, but the 2012-2014 teams would have been competitive against all. Wouldn't use PNU as an example at all Marbles.

I should add what a lot of boys found particularly challenging was adjusting to the time on/time off quarters, particularly given the majority had never played a senior grade of footy before. Each week you could pencil in the opposition scoring an extra 5-8 goals in the last 3 minutes of every quarter due to superior conditioning. But for that PNU certainly would have won some games earlier in the year.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby S Demon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:52 pm

jo172 wrote:For what it's worth circumstances conspired so that PNU fielded its worst C Grade in 5 years this year. From what I saw of this year we haven't had a C Grade in the last lustrum that would have beaten SW, but the 2012-2014 teams would have been competitive against all. Wouldn't use PNU as an example at all Marbles.

I should add what a lot of boys found particularly challenging was adjusting to the time on/time off quarters, particularly given the majority had never played a senior grade of footy before. Each week you could pencil in the opposition scoring an extra 5-8 goals in the last 3 minutes of every quarter due to superior conditioning. But for that PNU certainly would have won some games earlier in the year.

So your D grade played finals and yet your C grade couldn't buy a win....
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby jo172 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:03 pm

S Demon wrote:
jo172 wrote:For what it's worth circumstances conspired so that PNU fielded its worst C Grade in 5 years this year. From what I saw of this year we haven't had a C Grade in the last lustrum that would have beaten SW, but the 2012-2014 teams would have been competitive against all. Wouldn't use PNU as an example at all Marbles.

So your D grade played finals and yet your C grade couldn't buy a win....

Unfortunately wins weren't for sale, but agree not a great look.

I would say that the disparity in ability between some of the A Grade Club's A's and B's (particularly Salisbury West, North Pines, Central United and Flinders Uni) was far more than the disparity in ability between the C Grade Clubs C's and D's (namely Adelaide Uni, PAOC and Unley).

Neither our Cs nor our Ds could get over Adelaide Uni or PAOC, and our Cs had fairly tight tussles with Unley.

The further caveat being the D Grade was also a very old side. The Elimination Final 25 only fielded two blokes not eligible for the over 35s comp!
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:07 pm

Can you confirm Todd Weidenbach is PNU D Grades recruit of the season? :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:09 pm

Zartan wrote:Can you confirm Todd Weidenbach is PNU D Grades recruit of the season? :lol:

Robbed Javor of valuable supply.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby marbles » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:33 pm

So in short no one could be bothered playing cgrade cos which old boy in his twighlight would wanna play against agrade representatives at other clubs, so no one participated, participation rate fell

Club shrank as a result of going to div 7.

Like the every other 4 team club before you
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby morell » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:27 pm

^^^ Hahahaha
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Q. » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:48 pm

Actually, think you'll find PNU has had a shocking run with injuries across the A and B grade this year, which made things worse for the C grade
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby jo172 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Q. wrote:Actually, think you'll find PNU has had a shocking run with injuries across the A and B grade this year, which made things worse for the C grade

The dozen or so blokes who elected not to play football this year (and/or got jobs outside of metropolitan Adelaide) in mid to late March is what proved most difficult. Somewhat ironically our teams in the earlier trial matches were the strongest we've played all year. Them be the breaks.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:51 pm

jo172 wrote:
Q. wrote:Actually, think you'll find PNU has had a shocking run with injuries across the A and B grade this year, which made things worse for the C grade

The dozen or so blokes who elected not to play football this year (and/or got jobs outside of metropolitan Adelaide) in mid to late March is what proved most difficult. Somewhat ironically our teams in the earlier trial matches were the strongest we've played all year. Them be the breaks.

Surely they would have pushed the better players up from the D-Grade tho, or is @marbles on the money?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby jo172 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:10 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Surely they would have pushed the better players up from the D-Grade tho, or is @marbles on the money?

Hence why half a dozen of the D Grade Finals side had to be coaxed out of retirement at various points in the year (owed to the particular skill of the D Grade Coach).

Marbles probably has a reasonable point in that it's easier to coax someone out of retirement to play D7R (and C3/C5) to D7

I should add an erudite member of the forum commented to me during the PNU PAOC D1R match that the PAOC C Grade could beat our reserves side that day. I assured him he was indeed correct, the PAOC C Grade side had beaten most of those blokes twice already in D7.

Just one of those years.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby marbles » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:31 pm

what is most important is that the nursery division has seen a club on its last legs near closing its doors, now nearing a rebirth into the real saafl divisions and salisbury west will fly out of the nursery this saturday if all goes their way

just like releasing a pelican back into the wild after breaking a wing and being kept in ICU i will shed a tear when Salisbury jumps back into the wild of div 6

im not attacking you all but any business man would no that selling football matches to a player who is a "cgrade old washed geriatric hack" where he must compete against young agrade representatives who are urged to train hard and bust their nuts out on the field .... your sales will diminish

players will likely not participate rather than participate and your club will shrink

proven by the following former div 7 participants who now only have 3 teams

# broadview
# flinders park
# TTG - went to 3 teams
# henley
# sacred heart

and now theres talk of unley going to 3 teams - why? we all know exactly why.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Yank Man » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:37 pm

marbles wrote:what is most important is that the nursery division has seen a club on its last legs near closing its doors, now nearing a rebirth into the real saafl divisions and salisbury west will fly out of the nursery this saturday if all goes their way

just like releasing a pelican back into the wild after breaking a wing and being kept in ICU i will shed a tear when Salisbury jumps back into the wild of div 6

im not attacking you all but any business man would no that selling football matches to a player who is a "cgrade old washed geriatric hack" where he must compete against young agrade representatives who are urged to train hard and bust their nuts out on the field .... your sales will diminish

players will likely not participate rather than participate and your club will shrink

# broadview
# flinders park
# TTG - went to 3 teams
# henley
# sacred heart

I'll probably get stabbed in the next 24 hours marbles but I actually agree with you. PAOC are strong but they are the exception to the rule, Adel Uni have been good too but both clubs have others below them too. 2015 was terrific with all A grade clubs involved, albeit only 7 of them. Your comment 'restore the roar' in a previous post interested me. MP were able to achieve that last year against A grade clubs. We were also 8 and 8 going in to finals so it was achieved as a club and not in 'the nursery' so the sooner the league can determine Div 7 as all A grades the better. Then Clubs can build their strengths with C's and D's through the C divisions.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 316 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:05 pm

Cannot be considered A-Grade if you are playing against reserves teams. Kills a competition, just look at the SANFL, no one cares anymore.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Im more concerned with all these c grade players who "bust their nuts on the field" must be an exciting brand of footy
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby panthers » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:23 pm

marbles wrote:what is most important is that the nursery division has seen a club on its last legs near closing its doors, now nearing a rebirth into the real saafl divisions and salisbury west will fly out of the nursery this saturday if all goes their way

# broadview
# flinders park
# TTG - went to 3 teams
# henley
# sacred heart

Might be interesting that Smithfield has now gone from 1 Cgrade side in 2011 to having A, B and C grade sides this year, might not be either. :shock:
Its More than a Game !!!
panthers
Rookie

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:01 pm

jo172 wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Hence why half a dozen of the D Grade Finals side had to be coaxed out of retirement at various points in the year (owed to the particular skill of the D Grade Coach).

Marbles probably has a reasonable point in that it's easier to coax someone out of retirement to play D7R (and C3/C5) to D7

I should add an erudite member of the forum commented to me during the PNU PAOC D1R match that the PAOC C Grade could beat our reserves side that day. I assured him he was indeed correct, the PAOC C Grade side had beaten most of those blokes twice already in D7.

Just one of those years.

So, your discussion with this erudite member of the forum was with respect to the question........

Would a D7 side beat a D1R side?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby marbles » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:10 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:Im more concerned with all these c grade players who "bust their nuts on the field" must be an exciting brand of footy

Am hearing rosewaters c-grade to div 7 and wingfield to be their dgrade side

Yep heard it here first beefy youre going to div 7
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:05 pm

Brighton leave the SFL with a Prelim loss to MV
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby SATCHEL » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:42 am

marbles wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:Im more concerned with all these c grade players who "bust their nuts on the field" must be an exciting brand of footy

Am hearing rosewaters c-grade to div 7 and wingfield to be their dgrade side

Yep heard it here first beefy youre going to div 7

Yep its true, we are going to Div 7. Our A and B grade are going to Div 4 because its believed by the league we were hard done by this year and deserve an elevation into a higher grade. Our C grade will be in Div 7 and 7R. Get to use both grounds due to the high volume of new Div 7 recruits. Will be building a new purpose built facility at Wingfield oval to cater for all the players and their families. The oval will be maintained by the SACA and will be a feeder side to the Brisbane Lions. :roll: :shock: :?
SATCHEL
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 53 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League