How do i answer this

Anything!

How do i answer this

Postby stampy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:55 am

my eleven year old boy told me this morning that he doesnt understand why the indigenous kids at his school have an exclusive room where they have access to a tv, ipads and food like chips, shapes etc, one other thing he doesnt get is that when they do something wrong they are rewarded by being sent to this area, i dont understand it either and going from experience with an older son it happens in high school as well. why?
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Re: How do i answer this

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:18 am

stampy wrote:my eleven year old boy told me this morning that he doesnt understand why the indigenous kids at his school have an exclusive room where they have access to a tv, ipads and food like chips, shapes etc, one other thing he doesnt get is that when they do something wrong they are rewarded by being sent to this area, i dont understand it either and going from experience with an older son it happens in high school as well. why?

What did your boys school advise you when you asked them?
What school is it?
I'd guess it's a program to try and help close the gap between indigenous and non-indigenous children's education levels, drop out rates, etc and try and help in other areas they are disadvantaged in.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:22 am

stampy wrote:my eleven year old boy told me this morning that he doesnt understand why the indigenous kids at his school have an exclusive room where they have access to a tv, ipads and food like chips, shapes etc, one other thing he doesnt get is that when they do something wrong they are rewarded by being sent to this area, i dont understand it either and going from experience with an older son it happens in high school as well. why?

Ah good luck with that mate.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby helicopterking » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:30 am

This happened at my High School in the country.
I never understood it then and when students used to ask, teachers ignored it or couldn't answer it.
Indigenous kids used to turn up 20min late to 40min classes, teacher would ask them to sit down, Then the kid would yell at the teacher,claim the teacher was 'after them' and go chill out in this room for the rest of the day,watch TV, yell abuse at other kids all day.
I understand it now,don't agree wiith it, but good luck explaining this to a 11yr old.
Also, the school I was at, now have cut right back on this, the room still exists but kids have to sign in online, do all their work. If they haven't signed in, a liaison officer will go to the students house and get them.
Its all gone digital, it monitors attendence and work.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby MW » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:40 am

Sounds like how catholic schools treat special needs kids also.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:44 am

helicopterking wrote:This happened at my High School in the country.
I never understood it then and when students used to ask, teachers ignored it or couldn't answer it.
Indigenous kids used to turn up 20min late to 40min classes, teacher would ask them to sit down, Then the kid would yell at the teacher,claim the teacher was 'after them'

So no other kids ever turned up late or yelled at the teacher?
At my school it was the opposite with only non indigenous children being the problem children, same at my kids schools.
I suppose the lesson of the story is we shouldn't tarnish all people with the same brush.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby beef » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:49 am

The main issue i have with my kids school is the rewarding of "naughty" kids. They dont do any work cause havoc but when they do the right thing they are rewarded with certificates/free time what ever. Whereas my kids and other kids do the right thing every day and never get anything.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:00 am

beef wrote:The main issue i have with my kids school is the rewarding of "naughty" kids. They dont do any work cause havoc but when they do the right thing they are rewarded with certificates/free time what ever. Whereas my kids and other kids do the right thing every day and never get anything.

I would assume it would be one of several interventions created to try and counter the disadvantages indigenous children face to try and help even up stats for school attendance, education levels, etc.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:23 am

Where is the school? That might give more insight into why the room exists.

Clontarf foundation schools all have a room like this - it's used somewhat as a "sanctuary" for students who at times do need to get away - a lot of aboriginal kids, especially those from under privileged or low socioeconomic families tend to have a lot of behavioural issues and trouble managing their behaviour and situations. These kids are also unlikely to receive great support at home, or come from an environment that does not promote fundamental behaviour and life skills.

The Clontarf Foundation exists to improve the education, discipline, life skills, self-esteem and employment prospects of young Aboriginal men and by doing so equips them to participate meaningfully in society.

Academies provide an important school-engagement mechanism for many at-risk students who would otherwise not attend or have low school attendance.

Full time, locally based Clontarf staff mentor and counsel students on a range of behavioural and lifestyle issues while the school caters for their educational needs.

Using a comprehensive approach of supportive relationships, a welcoming environment, and a diverse range of activities, the students develop improved self-esteem and confidence.

Essentially it's all about attendance and retention rates - it's easy to just suspend a kid, but what value does that provide, especially at a young but critical age such as primary school? Given the chance these at-risk kids would probably just drop out of school with no education and no hope.. and then the cycle continues with the next generation and so on and so on.

Also I would imagine there would be rules and provisions around this room - it wouldn't just be a room they can be "be naughty and be rewarded with".
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby helicopterking » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:27 am

Wedgie wrote:
Indigenous kids used to turn up 20min late to 40min classes, teacher would ask them to sit down, Then the kid would yell at the teacher,claim the teacher was 'after them'

At my school it was the opposite with only non indigenous children being the problem children, same at my kids schools.
I suppose the lesson of the story is we shouldn't tarnish all people with the same brush.

Only the indigenous kids got to go straight to this room after abusing the teacher. If any other kids did the same thing,they got sent to the deputy principals office and were put on progress books,sent back to class, and the book needed to be checked off by the teacher at the end of every lesson for 3 weeks. A failed progress book would earn a suspension from school. 2 suspensions would warrant Expulsion.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:33 am

Suspensions are stupid - I got suspended plenty of times as a kid because I was a naughty boy.. sure I cried the first time, and got smacked across the arse hard by mum - but reality was it meant I didn't need to go to school, I wasn't going to die or anything from it.. if I didn't like school or my teacher was an easy way to get out of it.

Removal from class to another room though - that would be punishment.. I wouldn't be able to influence the other kids and run amok - if I didn't have an audience then there was no point in playing up, and I would still have to come to class.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:35 am

helicopterking wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Only the indigenous kids got to go straight to this room after abusing the teacher. If any other kids did the same thing,they got sent to the deputy principals office and were put on progress books,sent back to class, and the book needed to be checked off by the teacher at the end of every lesson for 3 weeks. A failed progress book would earn a suspension from school. 2 suspensions would warrant Expulsion.

So the answer to my question was "No"? Cheers, your post needed clarification as it was misleading.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:37 am

bring back the ruler, I say.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:38 am

beef wrote:The main issue i have with my kids school is the rewarding of "naughty" kids. They dont do any work cause havoc but when they do the right thing they are rewarded with certificates/free time what ever. Whereas my kids and other kids do the right thing every day and never get anything.

Positive reinforcement and encouragement is a huge thing. With my U9's I coach, I had a couple of difficult kids this year - and when they were well behaved or listened or did something well, I always praised them and most of the times rewarded them with something at presentation.

I did give every kid something though, but I made a slightly bigger deal about the "naughty" kids.. as the season went on I found they were more engaged in what we were doing, more willing to stay focussed and generally behaved a lot better because they realised that if they were good there was reward AND they enjoyed themselves more - if they were naughty they were punished (bench, time out etc).
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:40 am

Footy Chick wrote:bring back the ruler, I say.

Why stop there? Let's chain them up, stop them being able to vote and commit a bit of genocide too! ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Brodlach » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:44 am

That is a really hard question to answer, I have not been in that situation with my two boys and would be flummoxed if they asked me
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Brodlach » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:48 am

Very astute and intelligent posts there Zartan, fantastic !

Things I thought I would never say about Zartan ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Pseudo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:49 am

This only mirrors real life, in which members of minority groups receive benefits which supposedly ameliorate the hardships associated with that minority.

For example, in my day at Flinders Uni there was a room designated for women only; as a refuge where the wimmyn could escape from the stress of being forced to interact with the patriarchy.

There was a room where blokes could go for relief too - but we called it the Tavern, and let women in anyway.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:53 am

When it seems the objective is to integrate the outcome is to segregate.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:53 am

I'd basically answer it by saying its a small counter in trying to bridge the disadvantage indigenous children face in the education system (and life) and that hopefully measures such as this and others (scholarships, etc) will help bring kids closer to a level playing field in regard to school attendance, drop out rates, education, etc.
It's a complex issue but one worth discussing with children if you have the appropriate knowledge and understanding.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion