The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dogs72 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:28 pm

LPH wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/dominant-crows-a-reason-to-be-concerned-for-sanfl/news-story/3877ca6a862adc97724fbdcc2693435b

Err... hate to say we told you so

W Partland a lone voice in the afl centric media. A lot of respect for his efforts. Sick of seeing dimwits in the comments throwing out the same old ficticous line about how the SANFL would be gone weren't it not for the afl teams.
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Go the Crows
Win the flag by 30goals you Chardonnay cocksucking ****
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Wolf Pack » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:06 am

When you look at the history of our competition and what it meant to everyone involved to win a premiership.....
To think that a team who treat it as a practice hit out could raise the Thomas Seymour Hill, is an absolute disgrace!!!!
The day the AFL wins a premiership in our comp is the day I hand back my membership to a club I have supported for 30 years.
Wolf Pack
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:10 am

Just ban both reserves teams from finals and the Magarey.
Simple.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby csbowes » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:12 am

The clubs that voted for it won't see the folly of the decision until they are thrashed in a prelim or GF by the reserves.

Until then clubs like mine will continue to say it's all good.

If South go out, they have to have the balls with the Dogs to go public and start a campaign to remove them. We know they have balls as they voted no, so I hope they do it.

Crows have reason to play well for the next two weeks, so South and probably Sturt may pay the price.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Been liked: 77 times

Postby csbowes » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:15 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:Just ban both reserves teams from finals and the Magarey.
Simple.

I sympathise but how does that work, you end up with a three team finals series or a 7th placed team in the five.

Both crap options.

The teams are in the league fully or aren't, it's binary to me.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:21 am

csbowes wrote:
Simple.

I sympathise but how does that work, you end up with a three team finals series or a 7th placed team in the five.

Both crap options.

Everyone can play for the minor premiership and then the reserves teams bow out. During the season you have two ladders one that doesn't include the reserves. Top 4 or five of that ladder play finals. Port and Adelaide can go please themselves.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Postby csbowes » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:50 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:
csbowes wrote:
Simple.

Both crap options.

Everyone can play for the minor premiership and then the reserves teams bow out. During the season you have two ladders one that doesn't include the reserves. Top 4 or five of that ladder play finals. Port and Adelaide can go please themselves.

As I said, it means the 7th best team makes the finals in some years. It's just another way of clearly showing we have no idea what we are doing. If the teams are in, they play finals and win medals. Otherwise if they don't, then the SANFL teams will just rest and rotate players through the AFL games to be better placed themselves for SANFL finals. That would also hurt the competition.

Fact is you don't stick Manchester United in the A-League because you can. There has to be compelling reasons why it's good for all. The league presidents, I say, don't want the Crows going to the grannie and that in itself would prove they know this isn't a good arrangement. We are all hoping South win just to avoid what would be the inevitable outrage.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:25 pm

It's not an ideal set up and it's largely because of the AFL refusing to structure a nationally tiered system of promotion and relegation. They myopically focus on the top tier and totally ignore and undermine anything below it. It's a massive failing by such a wealthy organisation and in time it will be its undoing. Again and again the AFL is found to be lacking in any real leadership by example, instead falling back on its Demitriou-esque model of do as I say not as I do. Leadership starts at the top and filters down, if you insist that a salary cap is one of the strengths of the comp then by default it MUST filter down to the other levels. By default the reserves teams break the salary cap and hence don't qualify for finals.
It's the best of a poor situation. It's not perfect but until the AFL pull their finger out of their ar$es then we have to try and retain some sort of integrity where we can.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Postby Dogs72 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:26 pm

I rang the SANFL during the week, though expressing my opinion was no doubt pretty futile. I emailed the SANFL in the second quarter of yesterday's game, though no doubt the email will go nowhere.

I suggest members of the bendover clubs, should both email and phone their clubs and the SANFL. It might be futile (you never know), but at least they have your views on record (again after the meetings three years ago). Now you can say you were right. We now have the failed results of the experiment.
Dogs72
Rookie

Postby Magellan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:53 pm

Dogs72 wrote:I rang the SANFL during the week, though expressing my opinion was no doubt pretty futile. I emailed the SANFL in the second quarter of yesterday's game, though no doubt the email will go nowhere.

I suggest members of the bendover clubs, should both email and phone their clubs and the SANFL. It might be futile (you never know), but at least they have your views on record (again after the meetings three years ago). Now you can say you were right. We now have the failed results of the experiment.

Love the activist sentiment Dogs 72, but from a North Adelaide point of view it would be futile. In fact I think I heard the club is investing it's pokie war-chest into CSIRO research on whether it can bend over further to accommodate the AFL sides.

As Tipper (I think) posted yesterday the North hierarchy are happy to go down with the ship on this one. Not surprising for a club that, IMHO, prioritises the generation of AFL talent and pokie profits as it's own equivalent of a 'premiership' over cultivating on-field success and considering the views of its members and their desire to see finals success. And a president who wants a cushy SANFL gig.

As for the league, I'm sure you're well aware that website hits, twitter account hashtags, and high scores on all Candy Crush platforms are at record highs so the league's actually in great shape. But your email is important to Mr Olsen and I'm sure he values your cooperative and constructive thoughts, and a personally emailed pro-forma response from a generic league email account might be sent back to you if Mr Olsen can (a) distinguish his arse from his elbow, and (b) be bothered getting the necessary permit from the Adelaide Crows. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby tipper » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Magellan wrote:
Dogs72 wrote:I rang the SANFL during the week, though expressing my opinion was no doubt pretty futile. I emailed the SANFL in the second quarter of yesterday's game, though no doubt the email will go nowhere.

Love the activist sentiment Dogs 72, but from a North Adelaide point of view it would be futile. In fact I think I heard the club is investing it's pokie war-chest into CSIRO research on whether it can bend over further to accommodate the AFL sides.

As Tipper (I think) posted yesterday the North hierarchy are happy to go down with the ship on this one. Not surprising for a club that, IMHO, prioritises the generation of AFL talent and pokie profits as it's own equivalent of a 'premiership' over cultivating on-field success and considering the views of its members and their desire to see finals success. And a president who wants a cushy SANFL gig.

As for the league, I'm sure you're well aware that website hits, twitter account hashtags, and high scores on all Candy Crush platforms are at record highs so the league's actually in great shape. But your email is important to Mr Olsen and I'm sure he values your cooperative and constructive thoughts, and a personally emailed pro-forma response from a generic league email account might be sent back to you if Mr Olsen can (a) distinguish his arse from his elbow, and (b) be bothered getting the necessary permit from the Adelaide Crows. ;)

Yep, it was me. It was the response when i asked at the info night about this scenario. Loss of crowds, loss of memberships. Answer was "we will close the doors"....

The answer may have changed since, but i doubt it. Maybe ill have a couple of jamiesons this arvo and fire off something to the virtual runner anyway. Cant hurt can it?

On a similar topic, i pointee out to someone a few weeks ago, crowds have been terrible and memberships are dropping too. Their response "north makes a profit without people at the games". Sadly ot seems to be tje prevaling attitude of those in charge at prospect. **** the other clubs basically
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby tipper » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Magellan wrote:

Yep, it was me. It was the response when i asked at the info night about this scenario. Loss of crowds, loss of memberships. Answer was "we will close the doors"....

The answer may have changed since, but i doubt it. Maybe ill have a couple of jamiesons this arvo and fire off something to the virtual runner anyway. Cant hurt can it?

On a similar topic, i pointee out to someone a few weeks ago, crowds have been terrible and memberships are dropping too. Their response "north makes a profit without people at the games". Sadly ot seems to be tje prevaling attitude of those in charge at prospect. **** the other clubs basically
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby vics01 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:02 pm

CUTTERMAN
It's not an ideal set up and it's largely because of the AFL refusing to structure a nationally tiered system of promotion and relegation. They myopically focus on the top tier and totally ignore and undermine anything below it. It's a massive failing by such a wealthy organisation and in time it will be its undoing. Again and again the AFL is found to be lacking in any real leadership by example, instead falling back on its Demitriou-esque model of do as I say not as I do. Leadership starts at the top and filters down, if you insist that a salary cap is one of the strengths of the comp then by default it MUST filter down to the other levels. By default the reserves teams break the salary cap and hence don't qualify for finals.
It's the best of a poor situation. It's not perfect but until the AFL pull their finger out of their ar$es then we have to try and retain some sort of integrity where we can

Unless of course it is female, so Gilligan can feel good about himself. This obsession with pumping millions of dollars into female footy to create a false elite league will eventually be the straw that broke the camels back with state league and local footy in the next few years.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby VALE PARK » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:05 pm

Who is paying for the SA women's league in SA.
The AFL or the SANFL or the clubs and their members?
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby saintal » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:30 pm

NEAFL Prelim Finals:

Sydney 15.23 (113) defeat Aspley 4.7 (31). 38 shots to 11, could have been even more of a massacre.

GWS 17.15 (117) defeat Sydney Uni 4.6 (30). Ditto.

Great for footy! ;)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Kahuna » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:01 pm

Back page of today's Sunday Mail mentions a meeting of 6 of the 8 SANFL clubs at Prospect, held "without the endorsement of the SANFL governing body". Anyone have any knowledge of this?
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby therisingblues » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:36 pm

Kahuna wrote:Back page of today's Sunday Mail mentions a meeting of 6 of the 8 SANFL clubs at Prospect, held "without the endorsement of the SANFL governing body". Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Hello, hello, hello!
I am all ears about this. Please don't be just a rumour.
Please!
Did the article mention anything else beyond the fact that 6 of the 8 met at Prospect and the SANFL hadn't sanctioned the meeting?
If I had a bit of business nouse and a shit load more charisma I'd go for the top SANFL job. The whole system needs to be revamped, and Olsen has a track record of just taking the easy money. SANFL needs vision more than ever before.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Kahuna » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Apparently discussed "a range of issues, with deep concerns over the future of the State League". Also mentions "the future of the independent SANFL Commission, fixturing and ongoing club funding".
Names names of attendees. South and West didn't attend.
Maybe the rumblings are increasing.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 503 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Dogs72 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Kahuna wrote:Back page of today's Sunday Mail mentions a meeting of 6 of the 8 SANFL clubs at Prospect, held "without the endorsement of the SANFL governing body". Anyone have any knowledge of this?

Please, please tell me it's a glimmer of hope! Please tell me some club boards have found their backbone. Please tell me the SANFLs betterment, survival and growth is now their priority not their personal resumes, business interests or recruitment sanctions being lifted. Please tell me, I'll be able to take my young family to the SANFL next year rather than give up. Will the boards actually listen to their members and not try to defend the indefensible? Can they get rid of Olsen and the goose from the wafl that is only seeking afl personal advancement?
Dogs72
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL