Prison Release Umpires

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Prison Release Umpires

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:16 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 930231ce45

Well done to the Amateur League for this program. Shame on the Advertiser for this headline.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Re: Prison Release Umpires

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:50 pm

Not so sure on the well done a duty of care needs to be given to the clubs. I think a few clubs would not be happy about the situation.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:01 pm

Personally I think it's a great initiative. From what I understand these people are about to be released and have been through all corrective procedures put in place. People will be against it and I can see why, but a lot of people who would be against it wouldn't be educated on the processes these people undertake before being allowed to do such a thing and their opinions would be based on fear because they don't know what they are really talking about. Having people that would have a genuine passion for umpiring can't be a bad thing surely?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:08 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Not so sure on the well done a duty of care needs to be given to the clubs. I think a few clubs would not be happy about the situation.

Duty of care? What for? Is there a risk one will take off his whistle and ramit down someone's throat? I hate to break it to you but there are ex prisoners getting around in the community in all walks of life.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:22 pm

If this helps someone adapt to life after serving his time then good on them. Obviously they'd only be umpiring mens senior footy, they're not going to send a convicted pedo to umpire at junior games. Whilst the league may not be privy to their crimes, there'd have to be some sort of duty of care by the prison system or parole board or whoever to ensure they're not in a position where any danger could occur.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:17 pm

these people have no morales to start with how can they be trusted to umpire a game I call Them a cheat he stabs me n the car park

Parole board let killers pedo's into society and next to schools etc why would they tell the saafl what crimes they done in past funny if these convicts bump into people they robbed or hurt in the past
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Been liked: 155 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:these people have no morales to start with how can they be trusted to umpire a game I call Them a cheat he stabs me n the car park

Parole board let killers pedo's into society and next to schools etc why would they tell the saafl what crimes they done in past funny if these convicts bump into people they robbed or hurt in the past

Robb you are the ultimate authority on the Parole Board, criminology and all other subjects.

Seriously though, it's people like you that make me think democracy isn't the way to go.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:52 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:these people have no morales to start with how can they be trusted to umpire a game I call Them a cheat he stabs me n the car park

Robb you are the ultimate authority on the Parole Board, criminology and all other subjects.

Seriously though, it's people like you that make me think democracy isn't the way to go.

Far out some peeps have no idea
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Robb_Stark » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:55 pm

Shrek maybe they can clean your house they have experience
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:03 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:Shrek maybe they can clean your house they have experience

Yep, cleaning someone's house is on par with boundary umpiring in senior match with hundreds of people present.

What do you think happens to people after they finish their sentence? Do they just get shipped off to convict island?

They are released back into the community, they live in the same suburbs as you and me, some reoffend, some don't, some get jobs, some don't. I run into ex clients on the street all the time. If you don't think programs should be run to help re-integrate them into the community you are a peanut.

Oops, I forgot you were a peanut.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:14 pm

Robb, I hope that's a tongue in cheek comment. Sadly I don't think it is.

You would have played against heaps of convicted criminals or blokes committing crimes that haven't been caught and no one has hurt you yet.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby SATCHEL » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:33 am

The Big Shrek wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Not so sure on the well done a duty of care needs to be given to the clubs. I think a few clubs would not be happy about the situation.

Duty of care? What for? Is there a risk one will take off his whistle and ramit down someone's throat? I hate to break it to you but there are ex prisoners getting around in the community in all walks of life.

Agree 100% with Shrek here. My Aunt works with pre-release prisoners and does a wonderful job with it. Its hard to get an in with people that have a past and are trying to make amends for it. Great initiative and should be a way of boosting the total number of officials for the league. We all know that there needs to be some turn over of umpiring staff.
SATCHEL
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 53 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby MW » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:43 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Robb, I hope that's a tongue in cheek comment. Sadly I don't think it is.

You would have played against heaps of convicted criminals or blokes committing crimes that haven't been caught and no one has hurt you yet.

Nearly every game I played I reckon!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby The Informer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:30 am

MW wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:Robb, I hope that's a tongue in cheek comment. Sadly I don't think it is.

Nearly every game I played I reckon!

You didn't play against Paralowie all that often mate lol
The Informer
Reserves

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby MW » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:33 am

lol yeah I did!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby old farmer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Great idea, would be a lot of footballers in there itching to get back involved in the game if they can. Gives them something to work for. I know these will be pre release and low grade prisoners, but if we do get anyone from G division can they be sent to Houghton to meet Robb.
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts....
old farmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:15 pm

old farmer wrote:Great idea, would be a lot of footballers in there itching to get back involved in the game if they can.

I wouldn't say no if a couple were offered to Ingle Farm for a season to fill roles in our lower grades - be a massive relief on trying to find volunteers every week to fill those positions!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:13 pm

About 10 prisoners took part this year and he wanted the program to expand next year.

so lets say one of these convicted people goal umpire or anything in general at a game will both clubs on the day be notified or only told if something bad happens
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:18 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:so lets say one of these convicted people goal umpire or anything in general at a game will both clubs on the day be notified or only told if something bad happens

Why would the club need to be notified prior - and what is the something bad that could happen?

I would think leaving the clubs unaware would be best to make sure no idiot provokes a possible situation etc.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:25 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:About 10 prisoners took part this year and he wanted the program to expand next year.

so lets say one of these convicted people goal umpire or anything in general at a game will both clubs on the day be notified or only told if something bad happens

Why should you be notified? They're there doing a job trying to earn a crust. you wouldn't be notified if they had a job concreting and you were having a slab poured for a new shed at home. They have done their time and paid their dues. I think it's great that they're out there doing something in the community and not sitting at home on the dole doing bugger all. Whilst on Parole, they are still being supervised by Corrections and are in regular contact with them, so it's not like they're out there doing whatever they like. It doesn't work like that. They are pretty intensely monitored. Good luck to them I say.
Last edited by Bum Crack on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League