The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby JK » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
cennals05 wrote:It's ok guys, the TV ratings were good. The League is saved.

Now we just need thirty thousand TV sets placed around the ground to add to the atmosphere, each telecasting an image of the people watching at home.

Gogglebox of SANFL finals ... I like it!! :D

Better start watching the footy with pants on then.

Let's not make any rash commitments we can't meet mate ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby MW » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:44 pm

southee wrote:Jars most likely spoke to Triple M management and told to fire up the switchboard by making his statements about Crows in SANFL.

Gets people from both sides all up in arms frantically rushing to their phones ..... Advertisers love it !!!

Probably just a big PR stunt !!!

Can never please you guys
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:04 pm

From Ben Hook's page on the back of the sports section in the Sunday Mail yesterday:

The Sunday Mail can reveal the presidents of six of the SANFL clubs met behind closed doors last Monday at Prospect Oval without the endorsement of the SANFL governing body.

The meeting was scheduled to discuss a range of issues, with deep concerns over the future of the State League competition, which has seen an alarming downturn in attendances in 2016.

All eight SANFL club presidents were invited but South Adelaide chairman Andrew Luckhurst-Smith and West Adelaide president Richard Sykes didn't attend. North Adelaide's Bohdan Jaworskyj, Central District's David Cavenett, Glenelg's Nick Chigwidden, Norwood's Paul de Iulio, Sturt's Jason Kilic and Eagles' Kurt Slaven were all around the table.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby zipzap » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:14 pm

Don't know what to make of that...I dunno, winds of change or hot air?
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:18 pm

In fairness to South and West, Monday night does have Survivor, Married at First Sight and Zumbos Just Desserts all on TV.
I wouldn't have gone either.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:33 pm

JK wrote:Let's not make any rash commitments we can't meet mate ;)

It's the rash that's keeping my pants off!
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:03 pm

MW wrote:
southee wrote:Jars most likely spoke to Triple M management and told to fire up the switchboard by making his statements about Crows in SANFL.

Gets people from both sides all up in arms frantically rushing to their phones ..... Advertisers love it !!!

Southee speaks for himself. I like reading his view though, he might have a point. If he's proved correct later and I was wrong to get excited about this seeming support we are getting I will not be digging my heels in and denying it either.
What you do is you take all views on board, you weigh them up and try to make out what you think the truth of the matter will be. Sometimes that's a difficult thing to do, but you must have an open mind.
If I am reading you right, you seem to be suggesting that we should all just shut up and accept the reserves, in spite of the fact that we hate the competition being used as a practice resource for another league, and that attendances have fallen, and media coverage been reduced since the inception of the reserves, that the fixture is now a comedy of errors with too many byes and funny time slots all to satisfy the intruders, that we cannot play the grand final on the traditional date any longer, that these sides that have forced themselves in to our league have almost no supporters of their own, that they play by a different set of rules to the rest of the league, that they just coast through the year without much interest, resting players at key moments in matches because they are required for AFL duties the following week, that their coach will suddenly leave at three quarter time to watch the AFL... and obviously I could go on and on even more..... in spite of all these things which are a slap in the face of the competition we love, you think we should all just shut up.
Right?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:32 am

tipper wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Dogs72 wrote:I rang the SANFL during the week, though expressing my opinion was no doubt pretty futile. I emailed the SANFL in the second quarter of yesterday's game, though no doubt the email will go nowhere.

I suggest members of the bendover clubs, should both email and phone their clubs and the SANFL. It might be futile (you never know), but at least they have your views on record (again after the meetings three years ago). Now you can say you were right. We now have the failed results of the experiment.

Love the activist sentiment Dogs 72, but from a North Adelaide point of view it would be futile. In fact I think I heard the club is investing it's pokie war-chest into CSIRO research on whether it can bend over further to accommodate the AFL sides.

As Tipper (I think) posted yesterday the North hierarchy are happy to go down with the ship on this one. Not surprising for a club that, IMHO, prioritises the generation of AFL talent and pokie profits as it's own equivalent of a 'premiership' over cultivating on-field success and considering the views of its members and their desire to see finals success. And a president who wants a cushy SANFL gig.

As for the league, I'm sure you're well aware that website hits, twitter account hashtags, and high scores on all Candy Crush platforms are at record highs so the league's actually in great shape. But your email is important to Mr Olsen and I'm sure he values your cooperative and constructive thoughts, and a personally emailed pro-forma response from a generic league email account might be sent back to you if Mr Olsen can (a) distinguish his arse from his elbow, and (b) be bothered getting the necessary permit from the Adelaide Crows. ;)

Yep, it was me. It was the response when i asked at the info night about this scenario. Loss of crowds, loss of memberships. Answer was "we will close the doors"....

The answer may have changed since, but i doubt it. Maybe ill have a couple of jamiesons this arvo and fire off something to the virtual runner anyway. Cant hurt can it?

On a similar topic, i pointee out to someone a few weeks ago, crowds have been terrible and memberships are dropping too. Their response "north makes a profit without people at the games". Sadly ot seems to be tje prevaling attitude of those in charge at prospect. **** the other clubs basically

I think you had a Jamieson whilst typing....didn't you.

:D ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby cracka » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:59 am

therisingblues wrote:
MW wrote:

Southee speaks for himself. I like reading his view though, he might have a point. If he's proved correct later and I was wrong to get excited about this seeming support we are getting I will not be digging my heels in and denying it either.
What you do is you take all views on board, you weigh them up and try to make out what you think the truth of the matter will be. Sometimes that's a difficult thing to do, but you must have an open mind.
If I am reading you right, you seem to be suggesting that we should all just shut up and accept the reserves, in spite of the fact that we hate the competition being used as a practice resource for another league, and that attendances have fallen, and media coverage been reduced since the inception of the reserves, that the fixture is now a comedy of errors with too many byes and funny time slots all to satisfy the intruders, that we cannot play the grand final on the traditional date any longer, that these sides that have forced themselves in to our league have almost no supporters of their own, that they play by a different set of rules to the rest of the league, that they just coast through the year without much interest, resting players at key moments in matches because they are required for AFL duties the following week, that their coach will suddenly leave at three quarter time to watch the AFL... and obviously I could go on and on even more..... in spite of all these things which are a slap in the face of the competition we love, you think we should all just shut up.
Right?

I took it as MW was saying if Jars speaks for the Crows reserves in the SANFL, Southee thinks he's a puppet for the crows & if Jars speaks against the crows reserves in the SANFL, Southee thinks its just a PR stunt. Hence the comment from MW can never please you guys.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby MW » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:35 am

You are right Cracka but once again, these guys read what they want to read. It's sad really.
MW
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:41 am

therisingblues wrote:
MW wrote:

Right?

Like I said to cracka, you read what you want to read into what I said...fair dinkum.
Also I never said you should shut up. What I said before was someone should start writing some positive things about the SANFL cause all I see is negativity. If I were new to SANFL footy, I would not want to go if I read all the crap that gets posted in here.
MW
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:06 am

MW wrote:What I said before was someone should start writing some positive things about the SANFL cause all I see is negativity. If I were new to SANFL footy, I would not want to go if I read all the crap that gets posted in here.

Righto then. You're a Westies fan, and I say that because (a) you have a West Adelaide logo as your avatar, (b) you cite West Adelaide as one of the clubs you follow below your avatar, (c) you've stated elsewhere that you support them and at the expense of the Crows in the SANFL.

Moreover, by saying 'if I were new to SANFL footy' presumes you're not and you probably have more than a passing interest in the SANFL competition. I'll go as far as saying you probably attend a reasonable share of SANFL matches each year.

On that basis you are just as qualified as anyone else on this forum to tell us the positives of the current setup of SANFL footy.

Off you go then, the floor's yours.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:13 am

Only positives I can think of is it's a place to catch up with mates, video streams and this forum.
Games are poorly programmed, the comp is unfair, alcohol is grossly overpriced (and a terrible selection at most grounds), entrance to games is overpriced, crowds are poor and getting worse, the SANFL doesn't care about it's own comp.
If the SANFL was competent they'd address all those issues but I doubt they will because of conflicts.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby MW » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:50 am

How about come watch the next generation of kids coming through, hoping to get drafted one day, and what an experience for some to come up against not only AFL listed players, but potentially every now and then an AFL star who is playing SANFL after an injury. Come watch the stalwarts of your club battling it out week in week out representing the Guernsey, regardless of the opposition you are facing. Come out to local footy with your mates in an environment that you can still sit around and have a laugh and a beer without being crushed by ridiculous crowds. Bring your kids as most grounds have a 'family friendly' zone.
MW
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:02 am

Jake Parkinson, the SANFL CEO was on Triple M this morning.

Said that because the two finals on the weekend rated on TV (74k for South v Sturt and 50k for Crows v Central), over 8k were at the game, increased memberships and 3 clubs have improved their crowds this year the SANFL is doing swimmingly at the moment, he also said only Centrals were against the AFL cancer.

They had a quick poll of callers (I’d imagine most wouldn’t even go to SANFL games although I suspect ‘Tony from Allenby Gardens does') and 62.5% voted to leave the Crows in.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:15 am

Triple M.... :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:24 am

MW wrote:Come out to local footy with your mates in an environment...without being crushed by ridiculous crowds.

Definitely 100% correct on that score. There is certainly no chance of being crushed, although that's because the attendances hardly fall within the popular definition of the term 'crowd'.

To be serious, yes, I agree there are some salient points you raise about the positives of the comp - family vibe, playing for the jumper etc. Mind you, I can watch lower grades and still see talented kids, and playing against an 18 year old AFL-listed draftee is hardly a marquee match-up. Seeing a part-time SANFL player line up against Taylor Walker will bring AFL acolytes through the gates, but is not a sustainable marketing strategy. As a footballing contest, top-flight AFL professionals coming back from injury vs SANFL part-timer is, you'd have to admit, a contest likely to be resolved in the former's favour.

Look, I'll tell you why we're all negative. Politics. In three years the product that the SANFL is peddling had dropped considerably, and those with a strong connection to it are concerned on a number of fronts. We might be dreaming, as we kept being told, but we want an AFL free comp administered by a governing body who cares about its long-term future. Not an SANFL pre-1991, that is gone. An SANFL circa 2013 that recognises its place in the footy world would suit. If you want to force change you want in the world, you have bring attention to it what you see is wrong. Sitting around telling everyone about the silver lining and positives that are largely outweighed by the negatives of inequity, integrity, and poor administration isn't going to achieve the results we want, no matter how valid those positives might be in and of themselves. The more we agitate and express our disenchantment, not just here in the echo-chamber of the internet but out in the real world, the more likely that seed might just germinate somewhere that starts the process that gets us a better outcome than the one we've got. Maybe that seed was sown on the weekend. Time (and Jars ;) ) will tell. In the interim, we'll keep pushing our barrow.
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:55 am

Wedgie wrote:They had a quick poll of callers (I’d imagine most wouldn’t even go to SANFL games although I suspect ‘Tony from Allenby Gardens does') and 62.5% voted to leave the Crows in.
This is the problem I alluded to yesterday with having the AFL sides in - we've opened the door for too many people to have a say in the SANFL when they aren't SANFL fans - WTF should they have a say?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:05 am

JK wrote:
Wedgie wrote:They had a quick poll of callers (I’d imagine most wouldn’t even go to SANFL games although I suspect ‘Tony from Allenby Gardens does') and 62.5% voted to leave the Crows in.
This is the problem I alluded to yesterday with having the AFL sides in - we've opened the door for too many people to have a say in the SANFL when they aren't SANFL fans - WTF should they have a say?

With the hullabaloo on here yesterday afternoon I thought I'd listen to Triple M on the way home. Jarman asked Jacobs ( from the Crows ) what he thought of it all. He thought the heckling the boys get at SANFL grounds isn't healthy for them, he thought it was great for the Crows as the leap from SANFL to AFL isn't that much of a gap and that the Crows have a place in the SANFL. Then they took a break to play the Rolling Stones - Paint it, black.

I went back to the shuffle function on the jukebox in my car.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:29 am

Booney wrote:With the hullabaloo on here yesterday afternoon I thought I'd listen to Triple M on the way home. Jarman asked Jacobs ( from the Crows ) what he thought of it all. He thought the heckling the boys get at SANFL grounds isn't healthy for them, he thought it was great for the Crows as the leap from SANFL to AFL isn't that much of a gap and that the Crows have a place in the SANFL. Then they took a break to play the Rolling Stones - Paint it, black.

I went back to the shuffle function on the jukebox in my car.

More of a Beatles man than Stones man, Booney? ;)
Magellan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL