The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:33 am

Thank god Triple M changed back to classic rock as opposed to the 90s bogan rock playlist it had for a while. Probably realised most of their listeners were in jail for domestic violence.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby RB » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:01 pm

Magellan wrote:
MW wrote:Come out to local footy with your mates in an environment...without being crushed by ridiculous crowds.

Definitely 100% correct on that score. There is certainly no chance of being crushed, although that's because the attendances hardly fall within the popular definition of the term 'crowd'.

To be serious, yes, I agree there are some salient points you raise about the positives of the comp - family vibe, playing for the jumper etc. Mind you, I can watch lower grades and still see talented kids, and playing against an 18 year old AFL-listed draftee is hardly a marquee match-up. Seeing a part-time SANFL player line up against Taylor Walker will bring AFL acolytes through the gates, but is not a sustainable marketing strategy. As a footballing contest, top-flight AFL professionals coming back from injury vs SANFL part-timer is, you'd have to admit, a contest likely to be resolved in the former's favour.

Look, I'll tell you why we're all negative. Politics. In three years the product that the SANFL is peddling had dropped considerably, and those with a strong connection to it are concerned on a number of fronts. We might be dreaming, as we kept being told, but we want an AFL free comp administered by a governing body who cares about its long-term future. Not an SANFL pre-1991, that is gone. An SANFL circa 2013 that recognises its place in the footy world would suit. If you want to force change you want in the world, you have bring attention to it what you see is wrong. Sitting around telling everyone about the silver lining and positives that are largely outweighed by the negatives of inequity, integrity, and poor administration isn't going to achieve the results we want, no matter how valid those positives might be in and of themselves. The more we agitate and express our disenchantment, not just here in the echo-chamber of the internet but out in the real world, the more likely that seed might just germinate somewhere that starts the process that gets us a better outcome than the one we've got. Maybe that seed was sown on the weekend. Time (and Jars ;) ) will tell. In the interim, we'll keep pushing our barrow.

I still think having the AFL Reserves teams in the SANFL Reserves wouldn't be a bad option, I mean no-one gives a toss about reserves, right? Obviously I'd rather they piss right off but I find it strange that no-one advocates this position.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby tipper » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:12 pm

RB wrote:
Magellan wrote:
MW wrote:Come out to local footy with your mates in an environment...without being crushed by ridiculous crowds.

Definitely 100% correct on that score. There is certainly no chance of being crushed, although that's because the attendances hardly fall within the popular definition of the term 'crowd'.

To be serious, yes, I agree there are some salient points you raise about the positives of the comp - family vibe, playing for the jumper etc. Mind you, I can watch lower grades and still see talented kids, and playing against an 18 year old AFL-listed draftee is hardly a marquee match-up. Seeing a part-time SANFL player line up against Taylor Walker will bring AFL acolytes through the gates, but is not a sustainable marketing strategy. As a footballing contest, top-flight AFL professionals coming back from injury vs SANFL part-timer is, you'd have to admit, a contest likely to be resolved in the former's favour.

Look, I'll tell you why we're all negative. Politics. In three years the product that the SANFL is peddling had dropped considerably, and those with a strong connection to it are concerned on a number of fronts. We might be dreaming, as we kept being told, but we want an AFL free comp administered by a governing body who cares about its long-term future. Not an SANFL pre-1991, that is gone. An SANFL circa 2013 that recognises its place in the footy world would suit. If you want to force change you want in the world, you have bring attention to it what you see is wrong. Sitting around telling everyone about the silver lining and positives that are largely outweighed by the negatives of inequity, integrity, and poor administration isn't going to achieve the results we want, no matter how valid those positives might be in and of themselves. The more we agitate and express our disenchantment, not just here in the echo-chamber of the internet but out in the real world, the more likely that seed might just germinate somewhere that starts the process that gets us a better outcome than the one we've got. Maybe that seed was sown on the weekend. Time (and Jars ;) ) will tell. In the interim, we'll keep pushing our barrow.

I still think having the AFL Reserves teams in the SANFL Reserves wouldn't be a bad option, I mean no-one gives a toss about reserves, right? Obviously I'd rather they piss right off but I find it strange that no-one advocates this position.

that idea kinda fell by the wayside when the crows chucked the sulks and threatened to go to the ammos if that is what the sanfl decided.

it wouldnt be a perfect solution, but i think it would be better than what we have now. it would still mean a different program between the league and reserves, so stretching support staff across two venues, or two days would still happen, but other than that it would be a massive improvement
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby LPH » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:30 pm

How much benefit will the Ravens/Cows get out of being in the Reserves or the Ammos?

30 goal floggings every other week isn't going to help them - they will never go for that.
The 'Commission' exists only for them to 'rubber stamp' whatever the hell the Cows (& to a lesser extent, PAPs) want.

We can moan as much as we want, but whilst the Clubs continue to disallow Members to VOTE on the issue, as well as VOTE for the Club Representative on any 'Commission', then the AFL Clubs will continue to control the agenda & the issue.

Only when the majority of voting Members say 'No'.
Only when those Clubs with a 'No Ticket' then put a Representative on the Commission that reflects the views of the Club Members will any likelihood of change occur. Until then (& personally I think it will NEVER eventuate), the farce of the past 3 seasons will remain/continue.

Sad but reality.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby MW » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Magellan wrote:

Understood mate
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:32 pm

MW wrote:You are right Cracka but once again, these guys read what they want to read. It's sad really.

Did you and Cracka miss the first line of that post?
And there you are with the old "read what they want". How ironic.
What followed that first line was a general summary of what I feel and my understanding of what you are saying. You have chosen to ignore the first line which plainly states that Southee speaks for himself, and that this is a forum with different views.
So I think I am beginning to waste my time with you MW. Read what you want and ignore the rest and call us sad because you are not understanding it, that's your choice. You can't explain anything to someone who has chosen not to think.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:34 pm

Wedgie wrote:Thank god Triple M changed back to classic rock as opposed to the 90s bogan rock playlist it had for a while. Probably realised most of their listeners were in jail for domestic violence.

Rule of thumb at work, 3rd song by either U2, INXS or Jimmy Barnes radio changed to 1323. The younguns protest this & demand Fresh gets a go, yeah rightio :roll:
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:44 pm

Wedgie wrote:Jake Parkinson, the SANFL CEO was on Triple M this morning.

Said that because the two finals on the weekend rated on TV (74k for South v Sturt and 50k for Crows v Central), over 8k were at the game, increased memberships and 3 clubs have improved their crowds this year the SANFL is doing swimmingly at the moment, he also said only Centrals were against the AFL cancer.

They had a quick poll of callers (I’d imagine most wouldn’t even go to SANFL games although I suspect ‘Tony from Allenby Gardens does') and 62.5% voted to leave the Crows in.

Yeah I heard that Wedgie.
I thought it was funny that he tried to paint that as a positive, yet the game with the two heritage sides, one of which has possibly the lowest supporter base of all the traditional clubs, had 50% higher ratings than the game involving the Ravens... how does that in any way endorse the inclusion of the reserves?
I had predicted the Crows fans would turn up in force to support their reserves side owing to the AFL free weekend. It is blatantly obvious that they don't care now. The fact that they obviously had the smallest turn out of supporters of the 4 sides playing on the weekend was not mentioned, and the fact that the TV ratings were down for their match was glossed over.
Hilarious that they did a phone poll, to their regular Crows listening audience, and asked them if they think the Ravens should be in the SANFL! I think the amazing thing is that even that roughtly 38% of even that audience believes that the Crows shoudl fin somewhere else to plant their reserves. A better poll would be to ask genuine SANFL followers if the Ravens are welcome.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Douglas Mawson » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:04 pm

I am going to do this in a non-defamatory way but, Mods, feel free to kill it if you think it warranted:

I am genuinely interested in how John Olsen will reflect upon his time in public life when it ends. It is true to say that the privatisation of ETSA, the selling off of part of the SA water supply to United Water/Veolia, the inducements allegedly made to Motorola, and his resignation as Premier are some of the most heavily commentated issues in the recent history of this State. Decisions made on his watch by the League regarding allowing AFL clubs access to the SANFL competition on terms that have nothing to do with "competition" now rival some of the all time most commentated issues which have confronted the SANFL (and there have been plenty over the journey).

It will be an odd legacy to say the least. The scribes regularly say that service in public life should never be prioritised by a quest for popularity but by honesty, integrity, consistency etc.

I reakon* Olsen won't say he strove for popularity so he will probably give himself a tick for that. But how will he judge his outcomes on other criteria?

I should have thought that being Prez at a time when disenchantment with the integrity of the comp, falling crowd support, falling revenue, falling profile, loss of status nationwide, and the general negativity which the SANFL continuously now attracts as a sport, would be the last thing I would want on my watch. Certainly none of this is popular - so what other criteria could it possibly tick?

It will genuinely be interesting to catch up with him in say 10 years time when this current situation will most definitely have resolved itself (one way or another) and do the introspection dance.
Douglas Mawson
Rookie

Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby therisingblues » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:23 pm

Douglas Mawson wrote:I am going to do this in a non-defamatory way but, Mods, feel free to kill it if you think it warranted:

I am genuinely interested in how John Olsen will reflect upon his time in public life when it ends. It is true to say that the privatisation of ETSA, the selling off of part of the SA water supply to United Water/Veolia, the inducements allegedly made to Motorola, and his resignation as Premier are some of the most heavily commentated issues in the recent history of this State. Decisions made on his watch by the League regarding allowing AFL clubs access to the SANFL competition on terms that have nothing to do with "competition" now rival some of the all time most commentated issues which have confronted the SANFL (and there have been plenty over the journey).

It will be an odd legacy to say the least. The scribes regularly say that service in public life should never be prioritised by a quest for popularity but by honesty, integrity, consistency etc.

I reakon* Olsen won't say he strove for popularity so he will probably give himself a tick for that. But how will he judge his outcomes on other criteria?

I should have thought that being Prez at a time when disenchantment with the integrity of the comp, falling crowd support, falling revenue, falling profile, loss of status nationwide, and the general negativity which the SANFL continuously now attracts as a sport, would be the last thing I would want on my watch. Certainly none of this is popular - so what other criteria could it possibly tick?

It will genuinely be interesting to catch up with him in say 10 years time when this current situation will most definitely have resolved itself (one way or another) and do the introspection dance.

Maybe he'll get his golden parachute and we'll be left with a shell of a competition by then.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:35 pm

He/They will conveniently throw it under the banner of "South Australian Football", and so long as Adelaide Oval is always full and the the 2 AFL clubs are going OK, they'll consider his tenure a resounding success.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby matt35 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:56 pm

Nothing wrong with Fresh FM; just saying! :)
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Gozu » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:45 pm

matt35 wrote:Nothing wrong with Fresh FM; just saying! :)

Just don't put it on Triple J whatever you do the grumpy old men have spoken.

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/triple-j- ... ustralian/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby matt35 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:56 pm

Um, wow!!! So much I'd like to say about that article, but that really belongs in GD, so I'll leave it at that's exactly the sort of garbage the Australian is so well known for.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Just heard Gotch on the radio.
He loves the Crows reserves in the comp.
Good luck South on weekend,you will need it!
Crows by 10 goals I reckon.
Last edited by VALE PARK on Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:42 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Just heard Gotch on the radio.
He loves the Crows reserves in the comp.
Good luck South on weekend,you will need it!
Crows by 10 goals I reckon.

But at the Press conference he basically shit canned their so called supporters....

For me as the overall package they are bringing the league to its knees :oops:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby zipzap » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:45 pm

Wedgie wrote:Jake Parkinson...Said that because the two finals on the weekend rated on TV (74k for South v Sturt and 50k for Crows v Central), over 8k were at the game, increased memberships and 3 clubs have improved their crowds this year the SANFL is doing swimmingly at the moment, he also said only Centrals were against the AFL cancer.

I'd be interested in seeing a breakdown of these 'increased memberships'. In my admittedly limited sphere of reference my observation is that many full memberships have been either dropped altogether or at best, replaced with 3-game memberships or lesser out of a last-gasp sense of loyalty
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby VALE PARK » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:01 pm

8000+ good.
How many free tickets?
Crows members
Power members
SACA members
Loads of free tickets to SANFL members.
His many actually paid to attend!
Next year they will probably open the gates!
The SANFL is going swimmingly,thank goodness,I thought it was sinking and fast.
All we need are more byes in 2017 that will help for sure.
Last edited by VALE PARK on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Keefy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:04 pm

VALE PARK wrote:8000+ good.
How many free tickets?
Crows members
Power members
SACA members
Loads of free tickets to SANFL members.
His many actually paid to attend!
Next year they will probably open the gates!

The free tickets were for SANFL members who attended every home game of their team.

I missed one home game and hence missed out on the freebie ticket for the finals.

Had to pay for the qualifying final and will have to do the same this weekend
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:08 pm

Graham Cornes has come out against the cancer:

“If the Port Adelaide or Crows reserve sides won the SANFL -- it has to have an asterisk alongside it,” Cornesy says.

There was uproar on the weekend when a Crows side brimming with AFL players destroyed Central Districts by 72 points.

“If I was a Central Districts supporter … I’d be furious, absolutely furious,” says Cornes.

“It’s a question of what’s fair. You’ve got guys there who are fully professional footballers playing semi amateurs -- and it’s not a level playing field.

“It’s time for the Crows to lose.

“They’ve got to lose … I don’t know how you engineer that. The competition cannot afford to have the Crows progress any further.”
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL