"Fixing" the AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: "Fixing" the AFL

Postby JK » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Jars and Lewy were just discussing this, Jarman naturally liking the sound of it because congestion at stoppages are an issue - How is this guaranteed to alleviate congestion at a stoppage? That won't happen until x number of players must always be in a certain part of the ground is introduced (not that Im advocating that either).

It's funny the AFL longs for the days when players were less fit and held their positions, yet so many of their rule changes were for the purpose of speeding the game up. As with many things, this game is poorer for becoming all about the money.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:39 pm

Your probably right and there is probably a case to be made that 'everyone's era' was always the golden era

I definitely fall into that category believing that 90's footy was the best era which is probably more due to me growing up watching my heroes in the early 90's.

I guess it comes down to how people like to watch a game, I love a tough stouch when I watch football I love watching two teams slug it out on a mud sodden heap where 10 goals wins the game, I love watching test cricket bowlers have a huge advantage and a gritty 50 is a match changing innings
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Grahaml » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:03 pm

I've long thought reducing the numbers on the field is the best thing the AFL could do. We'll see more one on one contests and more space for players to work in. We'll also see an increase in the standard as the 2 worst players in a team wouldn't be there.

Would also like to see a sub rule come back in. Not the nonsense one we used to have, but an unlimited sub rule. Once a player is out, he's out for the game. Never again will one team have a numerical advantage and nor will we see one team having a sub up their sleeve when the other doesn't, eliminating that other advantage.

Eliminate the rookie list and expand senior lists, establish a dedicated reserves comp. There should be enough on a list that top up players are rarely used and extra players can play SANFL/WAFL/VFL/NEAFL (probably reserves).

AFL should also look at seriously strengthening the state leagues. Might not be enough money in the game to support 3 tiers of professional football, but if it could, the AFL would benefit as players would be a higher standard. The women's comp I think will quickly bring in a lot of money and it should lead to opportunities to develop the game overall. The players will no doubt take up a certain amount of that, but surely administering the game will take up less as a proportion.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:09 pm

Grahaml wrote:I've long thought reducing the numbers on the field is the best thing the AFL could do. We'll see more one on one contests and more space for players to work in. We'll also see an increase in the standard as the 2 worst players in a team wouldn't be there.

Would also like to see a sub rule come back in. Not the nonsense one we used to have, but an unlimited sub rule. Once a player is out, he's out for the game. Never again will one team have a numerical advantage and nor will we see one team having a sub up their sleeve when the other doesn't, eliminating that other advantage.

Eliminate the rookie list and expand senior lists, establish a dedicated reserves comp. There should be enough on a list that top up players are rarely used and extra players can play SANFL/WAFL/VFL/NEAFL (probably reserves).

AFL should also look at seriously strengthening the state leagues. Might not be enough money in the game to support 3 tiers of professional football, but if it could, the AFL would benefit as players would be a higher standard. The women's comp I think will quickly bring in a lot of money and it should lead to opportunities to develop the game overall. The players will no doubt take up a certain amount of that, but surely administering the game will take up less as a proportion.

For your 'sub rule' would there be a restriction on how many subs would be on the bench or could teams have all 30 odd players on the list kitted up ready to go?

Genuinely interested in your concept
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:27 pm

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2016/09/07/15/2 ... de-spinoff

Interesting format

Seems extremely similar to the NFL's Arena Football format rather than a new concept as such

Would people be interested in Aussie Rules all year round?
whufc
Coach

Postby LMA » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:39 pm

I suggest the National Anthem on Anzac Day and the Grand Final day ONLY
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:58 pm

LMA wrote:I suggest the National Anthem on Anzac Day and the Grand Final day ONLY

and the Last post only on Anzac day too
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Grahaml » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:44 pm

whufc wrote:
Grahaml wrote:I've long thought reducing the numbers on the field is the best thing the AFL could do. We'll see more one on one contests and more space for players to work in. We'll also see an increase in the standard as the 2 worst players in a team wouldn't be there.

For your 'sub rule' would there be a restriction on how many subs would be on the bench or could teams have all 30 odd players on the list kitted up ready to go?

Genuinely interested in your concept

No limit, no restriction on where the player waited either. What would be wrong with the players being called down from the stands if someone got hurt? Or if a guy has a good game in the reserves and the coach decides to give him a crack in the last quarter with the game in the balance. If the reserves games are always done before the main game, then the fitness guys will have a good understanding of what the work loads are, there would always be 20 blokes there for both teams. We already see blokes coming in like that if someone gets hurt in the warm up and that never seems to do anything but keep the contest even. Just don't bring back vests. Tell the steward, opposition and media you've made a sub. I'm sure they will recognise that one bloke is different and it'll probably be obvious as heck 5 minutes before anyway.

Would also mean that concussion test issue that we saw with Hartlett could be managed without the side being short for that time.

Would never again hear "we were 1 short early on" after a game.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:10 am

Would there still be four on the bench who can interchange as much as possible but coaches would then have the option to make as many subs as they would like throughout a game
whufc
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:34 am

Yep, that's what I'm suggesting.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:04 am

Grahaml wrote:Yep, that's what I'm suggesting.

It would be extremely interesting to see how it would be used

Would coaches make Suns due to changing weather conditions

Would coaches make 10 subs at 3/4 time to have fresh legs
whufc
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:00 pm

I can't imagine coaches making a lot of changes. You're still going to want your best players out there, fatigued or not. If percentage wasn't a factor we could have seen it happen with games decided at 3/4 time. Maybe only would happen if a team was being belted. Give some kids or fringe players a chance to stand up and see what they could do about it.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:22 pm

Not sure I like that idea. Will turn into American football basically.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re:

Postby Grahaml » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:Not sure I like that idea. Will turn into American football basically.

American football the players come on and off en masse at will. I'm not suggesting a player would be able to return if subbed. Most sports that have a sub rule use it relatively sparingly.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Re: Re:

Postby Wedgie » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:14 pm

Grahaml wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Not sure I like that idea. Will turn into American football basically.

American football the players come on and off en masse at will. I'm not suggesting a player would be able to return if subbed. Most sports that have a sub rule use it relatively sparingly.

Like basketball or ice hockey? :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Stop ******* with the game. It's not broken.

It isn't what it was 5 years ago. It's not what it was 25 years ago. In 5 years it will be different again but for **** sake let's make sure in 25 years it resembles the game we know and love.

We'll be taking penalties from the corners with a round ball and sleeves our guernseys.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:34 pm

I like the idea of sleeves.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:36 pm

Wedgie wrote:I like the idea of sleeves.

Don't we already do that!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2600 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby LMA » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:52 pm

MW wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I like the idea of sleeves.

Don't we already do that!

Wizards Sleeves, could be the new expansion club out of Wellington
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Grahaml » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:05 am

Wedgie wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

Like basketball or ice hockey? :lol:

That would be an interchange. But nice to see your trolling has gotten a little more subtle.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL