Adelaide Plains Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Wandered out to my first APFL GF in years yesterday. Was fun to see some old familiar faces in the Hummocks B grade. I must say Dustin Guthberg must lead a tough life as he looks much older than his 33 years! They put up a spirited effort to come back and almost pinch a victory. I thought they had most of the play but Virginia were more efficient going forward. Some of the off the ball behaviour from the Rams was pretty average.

In the A grade Virginia couldn't hit a target. Big Nicko seemed to do a calf or something which didn't help them. Was pretty disappointed by the atmosphere it didn't seem that there was much of a crowd there. Maybe it's Virginia's set up that makes it seem that way but there was less cheering in the As than there was in the B grade. On the upside I didn't have to line up for a beer.

I hear Jamie Thomas will be coaching the Rams next year.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby Demon Juke » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:05 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:Wandered out to my first APFL GF in years yesterday. Was fun to see some old familiar faces in the Hummocks B grade. I must say Dustin Guthberg must lead a tough life as he looks much older than his 33 years! They put up a spirited effort to come back and almost pinch a victory. I thought they had most of the play but Virginia were more efficient going forward. Some of the off the ball behaviour from the Rams was pretty average.

In the A grade Virginia couldn't hit a target. Big Nicko seemed to do a calf or something which didn't help them. Was pretty disappointed by the atmosphere it didn't seem that there was much of a crowd there. Maybe it's Virginia's set up that makes it seem that way but there was less cheering in the As than there was in the B grade. On the upside I didn't have to line up for a beer.

You should know he was standing next to you all day!! :)
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Officejet » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:59 pm

Pretty sure current Gawler Central coach Herzick has the Rams Roll, he told the Gawler Central players last Tuesday he's off. Let's hope they have plenty of mops and buckets at hand to clean up after he pisses off the bar at social events like he did in his South Gawler days...
We are the Red and Blacks
Officejet
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby Ace of Spades » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:54 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:Wandered out to my first APFL GF in years yesterday. Was fun to see some old familiar faces in the Hummocks B grade. I must say Dustin Guthberg must lead a tough life as he looks much older than his 33 years! They put up a spirited effort to come back and almost pinch a victory. I thought they had most of the play but Virginia were more efficient going forward. Some of the off the ball behaviour from the Rams was pretty average.

I'm sure he'd be happy to be 33 :D
Ace of Spades
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Pag » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:36 am

Thought the exact same thing. The last three APFL GFs I've been to (at Balak, Long Plains and Two Wells) seemed to have a much bigger and better atmosphere than the game yesterday. Wasn't a lot left at the canteen/BBQ when I went to grab something just before half time either.

On the game itself, always felt Mallala were in control and had enough to win (only their poor kicking stopped it from being a whitewash). Wasn't the best game to watch to be honest, seemed very scrappy, at least compared to the standard of the Mallala/Hamley GF a couple of years ago. Congrats to the Mallala lads though, always happy to see them win.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:44 am

Pag wrote:

Thought the exact same thing. The last three APFL GFs I've been to (at Balak, Long Plains and Two Wells) seemed to have a much bigger and better atmosphere than the game yesterday. Wasn't a lot left at the canteen/BBQ when I went to grab something just before half time either.

On the game itself, always felt Mallala were in control and had enough to win (only their poor kicking stopped it from being a whitewash). Wasn't the best game to watch to be honest, seemed very scrappy, at least compared to the standard of the Mallala/Hamley GF a couple of years ago. Congrats to the Mallala lads though, always happy to see them win.

Thats quite surprising considering there were 6 clubs playing on the day. In my time I've always found the grand finals at Mallala to have best atmosphere.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby coman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:24 pm

The young kid number 31 for hummocks almost stole the game of his own boot, the game was what you would call a true hard country Footy game that was way better then the Agrade game to watch.
coman
Rookie

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 61 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby OnSong » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:03 pm

coman wrote:

The young kid number 31 for hummocks almost stole the game of his own boot, the game was what you would call a true hard country Footy game that was way better then the Agrade game to watch.

18 I reckon you mean. Nathan Studham. His brother Josh was 31 who kicked a few but Nathan was tearing it up. Kicked 5
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby coman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:19 pm

OnSong wrote:18 I reckon you mean. Nathan Studham. His brother Josh was 31 who kicked a few but Nathan was tearing it up. Kicked 5

Yeah it was actually,his probably a bit unlucky not to take out best on ground.
coman
Rookie

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 61 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby The Big Shrek » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:55 pm

coman wrote:
OnSong wrote:18 I reckon you mean. Nathan Studham. His brother Josh was 31 who kicked a few but Nathan was tearing it up. Kicked 5

Agree with you there. Does he play much in the ones? Looked like he could be a gun in the future.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby Ace of Spades » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:20 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:
coman wrote:

Agree with you there. Does he play much in the ones? Looked like he could be a gun in the future.

He's still a Colt. Wouldve won the Assoc Medal by about 8 votes but got a suspended sentence for swearing at an ump....
He kicked 3.6 (stole 2 from Joshs tally)
Ace of Spades
Reserves

Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Bob Loblaw » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:32 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:
coman wrote:

Looks like a future star for sure, had huge games in the semi and prelim finals as well.
Played 15 A's, 6 B's and all 16 U/17 games. Has notched up 146 games in the last 5 years.
Bob Loblaw
Under 18s

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Demon Juke » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:29 pm

Pag wrote:

Maybe the atmosphere was flat as Mallala should have won by a lot more with 20 odd more scoring shots, only Big Nick kept them in it in the first quarter with his Goal kicking. I was bit surprised Pollock Rucked and sat behind the ball for the most of the day as they needed to kick a score to win. They seamed to fall down at Centre Half Forward and I agree with Pag the game was a bit scrappy. I know it is hard to compare but i think the div 4 standard was up with what I saw on Saturday. In the "B" Grade Virginia nearly threw it away with a lot of silly stuff on the field when they seamed to have the game in the bag. Did number 23 for Virginia get reported as he chested the umpire on the bench in the last quarter after was arguing with him about something after he received his yellow from on field umpire, Also was told Jamie Thomas to coach Virginia next year and Thommo to coach Angle Vale.
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby OnSong » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:55 am

I thought one of the most disappointing things on Saturday was seeing Virginia A grade players on the gate before 9am and then the A grade coach serving cans by himself in the can van at about 1pm.

I'm all for blokes chipping in but seriously, these guys have a grand final to play. We all do our bit for our clubs, Longies have players on the gate, think HWE does as well during the year, but on grand final day, that's really not going to be the best preparation for anyone IMO.

Maybe I'm being a bit precious. Dunno.
OnSong
Coach

Postby 23rd man » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:16 am

OnSong wrote:I thought one of the most disappointing things on Saturday was seeing Virginia A grade players on the gate before 9am and then the A grade coach serving cans by himself in the can van at about 1pm.

I'm all for blokes chipping in but seriously, these guys have a grand final to play. We all do our bit for our clubs, Longies have players on the gate, think HWE does as well during the year, but on grand final day, that's really not going to be the best preparation for anyone IMO.

The coach was on the gate when I got there then an hour later severin beers!!! How can that work, I'm sure he's got better things to be thinkin about other than if you want a barracker or if there's enough super drys on ice!!!
23rd man

Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby OnSong » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:37 am

Demon Juke wrote:
Pag wrote:

Maybe the atmosphere was flat as Mallala should have won by a lot more with 20 odd more scoring shots, only Big Nick kept them in it in the first quarter with his Goal kicking. I was bit surprised Pollock Rucked and sat behind the ball for the most of the day as they needed to kick a score to win. They seamed to fall down at Centre Half Forward and I agree with Pag the game was a bit scrappy. I know it is hard to compare but i think the div 4 standard was up with what I saw on Saturday. In the "B" Grade Virginia nearly threw it away with a lot of silly stuff on the field when they seamed to have the game in the bag. Did number 23 for Virginia get reported as he chested the umpire on the bench in the last quarter after was arguing with him about something after he received his yellow from on field umpire, Also was told Jamie Thomas to coach Virginia next year and Thommo to coach Angle Vale.

Interesting analysis with the Virginia structure etc. It was a strange one but I liked the idea of trying something different after getting whacked in the second semi.

Niklaus' ankle/calf issue flared up in the second quarter, he couldn't jump and running was limited. Not sure if he carried that into the game but it has a problem all year.

Where was the leading goal kicker? Ross really struggled against Mallala, kicking five goals in five games. Cocks shut him down.

Sam Angus was excellent on Benny Russell, who busted his arse. Great player and still found some touches but you'd give points to Sammy there.

Liked Panagiotou's game but if he was head to head with Osborn, he lost that contest. If he was head to head with Montgomerie, he lost that contest.
Still, liked what I saw from Pana.

Parish at centre half back, head to head with Galic, really a nil-all around the ground but to Parish's credit, he went back into oncoming traffic several times despite all that stuff from the second semi etc.

Thought Nik Seccafien had a dip but never really settled in any given position. Good player but didn't have a lot of helpers.

Mallala never looked threatened after half time. Best side all year, would have won it by 15 goals (probably both grades) had they not copped the injuries.
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:39 am

23rd man wrote:
OnSong wrote:I thought one of the most disappointing things on Saturday was seeing Virginia A grade players on the gate before 9am and then the A grade coach serving cans by himself in the can van at about 1pm.

The coach was on the gate when I got there then an hour later severin beers!!! How can that work, I'm sure he's got better things to be thinkin about other than if you want a barracker or if there's enough super drys on ice!!!

Which from what I saw, he did a stellar job at. No one complained about getting a warm drink.
OnSong
Coach

Postby Bob Loblaw » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:03 am

I guess with both senior teams playing on the day it wouldn't have been easy to find enough helpers without the players especially as Virginia seem to struggle at the best of times let alone hosting the biggest game of the year.
Bob Loblaw
Under 18s

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby OnSong » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:06 am

Bob Loblaw wrote:

I guess with both senior teams playing on the day it wouldn't have been easy to find enough helpers without the players especially as Virginia seem to struggle at the best of times let alone hosting the biggest game of the year.

Oh yeah, it was probably driven by necessity. Just think it wouldn't have helped.
OnSong
Coach

Postby ScubaSteve » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Bob Loblaw wrote:

Bit of a kick in the guts Bob, it's community footy not AFL.
Most player's would never help out the club that supports them.
ScubaSteve
Mini-League

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy