HFL Division 1 (Central)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Postby Whos ya daddy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:24 pm

overthehill wrote:C'mon Rock might be time to let it go. I don't see how blaming Onkas makes you feel any better about the situation?
If you believe 1 permit takes a side from 5th to playing in a GF then you don't understand football.
That goes for if your name is Cam Ellis-Yeoman also

Looking on Sporting Pulse he hasnt even been in the best players in any of the finals matches either
Whos ya daddy

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby footytragic001971 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:57 pm

So here we go. The grand final is here.
Hahndorf v Torrens Valley.
Torrens Valley must have done a great job to get over Blackwood. Sounds like Blackwood came hard in the last quarter
but couldn't get over the line.

Anyone see them being able to beat Hahndorf??
footytragic001971
Rookie

Been liked: 10 times

Postby Grumpy Old B » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:33 pm

mirror#3 wrote:Jaensch to play his last game for Hahndorf in the GF - Will be recruited by Geelong!

He might not be the only GF player playing his last game for his club. Have been told from a reliable source that the mail medalist is returning to his grass roots team next year. Perhaps the money pit is drying up. I wonder if the vacant coaching job at the Roos could also see a past coach return he might even take his son with him.
Grumpy Old B

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby wazzal77 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:19 pm

I thought that TV would avenge their Qualifying loss against Blackwood... I think in a Grand Final it is really anybodys game, Hahndorf have had some rest whereas TV have had 3 hard games in a row - but these hard games may have given them some momentum.

Im going to pick Hahndorf, but am not convinced. I suspect it is either going to be Hahndorf by a bit (5-7 goals) or Torrens Valley in an upset thriller by less than a goal. I see Hahndorf have 4 teams in the Grand Final for the 2nd year in a row, thats a pretty fair effort from any Club.

Lets hope the weather holds up on Saturday - its looking pretty wet all week. How does Lobethal oval hold up with close to an inch or so of rain predicted between now and Saturday?
wazzal77
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby footytragic001971 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:59 pm

Interesting observation Grumpy. "The money pit". I am not sure what that means. I guess you are assuming
because a team is successful it must be paying its players a fortune.

Lets hope not everyone plays just for the money!
footytragic001971
Rookie

Postby Corona Man » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:01 pm

footytragic001971 wrote:Interesting observation Grumpy. "The money pit". I am not sure what that means. I guess you are assuming
because a team is successful it must be paying its players a fortune.

Lets hope not everyone plays just for the money!

I know for a fact a few season ago, when they finished last they had very few "paid" players... now they are going for back to back flags.... join the dots!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby footytragic001971 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Don't be fooled into joining the dots based on the standards others set.

Maybe they are a talented group of players (most of them local) who are happy to be paid a little less
to stay together and enjoy success. It does happen you know!
footytragic001971
Rookie

Postby Corona Man » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:13 pm

footytragic001971 wrote:Don't be fooled into joining the dots based on the standards others set.

Maybe they are a talented group of players (most of them local) who are happy to be paid a little less

I agree with you to a point.... I am saying they were paying nothing, and nothing was the result they got. Now they are paying something and getting a good return.... Good luck to them.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby footytragic001971 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:21 pm

Yeah fair call Corona. I don't know for a fact, but I would like to believe there is still teams out there that are
full of guys playing footy (and of course getting some money) whose main motivation is success.
In my experience any team who has too many guys only there for the coin will not be successful.

Being able to buy a flag is a complete myth perpetuated by the naïve!
footytragic001971
Rookie

Postby wazzal77 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:48 pm

I highly doubt they (im assuming you are talking about Hahndorf) wouldnt have been paying nothing a few years back when they finished bottom, looking at the years prior they were near the top making prelim finals, and there are a few ex Norwood players listed in that team that I highly doubt played for nothing! Looking at their squad they have probably replaced those few players with some other non locals and then attracted back to the club previous locals (Matsen, Jaensch, Leake) and then kept their core squad of locals. It would appear there list management has done them well the last 2 seasons - and from being at their ground for the Qualifying and the last minor round game they have also invested in their clubrooms. If they have money good luck to them, but it would appear that it isnt all going one way into paid import players but being spread around. Gee with the strength of their colts teams they seem to have set themselves up very well indeed for the future. There has clearly been some good decisions made over a long period of time to get them to where they are so good luck to them. Of course it just makes everyone else really keen to beat them!
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby wazzal77 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:50 pm

Corona Man wrote:
footytragic001971 wrote:Don't be fooled into joining the dots based on the standards others set.

I agree with you to a point.... I am saying they were paying nothing, and nothing was the result they got. Now they are paying something and getting a good return.... Good luck to them.

If only everyones books were open, we could then see how much % increase in dollars related to a % increase in their win/loss ratio! We will never know, but a poor club just wont be successful nowadays, and a rich club can waste money and still not be successful! Good call Corona, good luck to them!
wazzal77
Rookie

Postby footytragic001971 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:48 am

Good call Wazz.
Money assures you of nothing!!! Money well spent along with lots of good decisions and good people is what make for long term success.
No doubt Hahndorf have put themselves in a great position with strong juniors and very good facilities.
footytragic001971
Rookie

Postby Grumpy Old B » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:46 am

Grumpy Old B wrote:
mirror#3 wrote:Jaensch to play his last game for Hahndorf in the GF - Will be recruited by Geelong!

He might not be the only GF player playing his last game for his club. Have been told from a reliable source that the mail medalist is returning to his grass roots team next year. Perhaps the money pit is drying up. I wonder if the vacant coaching job at the Roos could also see a past coach return he might even take his son with him.

Sorry Fellows. I know I talk in riddles BUT I meant that the TV money pit was drying up. Its the current mail medallist who is returning to his grass roots team. And their coach has also coached at Mt B. Hahndorf as most clubs are, are under the salary cap currently imposed.
Grumpy Old B

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby footytragic001971 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:04 am

Ah grumpy now I understand.
footytragic001971
Rookie

Postby theduck » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Anyone who believes that hahndorf are under the salary cap must be delusional. Not a chance that out of Jeansch, Hankin, Hourigan, Matsen, Wittwer, Handby, Roberts, Purling ect, that only one is playing for more than $500. Yes they have built an extremely strong club from the juniors up which has been very impressive, but to say that they don't spend big is just ignorant.

Tipping hahndorf this week by 5+ in the clash of the cheque books
theduck
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times

Postby SecretInformant » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:39 pm

theduck wrote:Anyone who believes that hahndorf are under the salary cap must be delusional. Not a chance that out of Jeansch, Hankin, Hourigan, Matsen, Wittwer, Handby, Roberts, Purling ect, that only one is playing for more than $500. Yes they have built an extremely strong club from the juniors up which has been very impressive, but to say that they don't spend big is just ignorant.

Heard on the grape vine they work it so player A gets paid $800 for say the Round 1 game whilst Player B gets paid $200. They then swap it around for the next game (Round 2) with the Player A who got $800 now getting $200 and Player B who was on $200 now getting $800. I'm just using the $$$ amounts as examples but that's the system in play.
SecretInformant

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:04 pm

SecretInformant wrote:
theduck wrote:Anyone who believes that hahndorf are under the salary cap must be delusional. Not a chance that out of Jeansch, Hankin, Hourigan, Matsen, Wittwer, Handby, Roberts, Purling ect, that only one is playing for more than $500. Yes they have built an extremely strong club from the juniors up which has been very impressive, but to say that they don't spend big is just ignorant.

Heard on the grape vine they work it so player A gets paid $800 for say the Round 1 game whilst Player B gets paid $200. They then swap it around for the next game (Round 2) with the Player A who got $800 now getting $200 and Player B who was on $200 now getting $800. I'm just using the $$$ amounts as examples but that's the system in play.

They do pay their locals extremely well and no doubt hourigan and paul would be on a nice bit of coin. However every club spends money and it is essentially how they spend it which matters. The last time a flag was one with no money spent woulf be at least 10 years ago before lofty won 3 in a row.
TV deserve a lot of credit for recruiting players that have stayed their many years and that is the key. Uraidla have spent money really well over the years. A club like us has wasted it as we havent held on to recruits. Getting recuits that stick around is key and clubs that do that are generally successful.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby footytragic001971 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:31 am

You are making one major assumption duck. And that is that these players are motivated by money.
Not everyone is. Some just want success!
footytragic001971
Rookie

Postby theduck » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Purling and maybe Matsen. The rest all wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the $ (or the job the club provides...)
I am actually against the salary cap, and think that it should be scrapped. But it makes it hard for the few of the clubs who follow the rules.
theduck
Mini-League

Been liked: 2 times

Postby wazzal77 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:17 pm

theduck wrote:Purling and maybe Matsen. The rest all wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the $ (or the job the club provides...)
I am actually against the salary cap, and think that it should be scrapped. But it makes it hard for the few of the clubs who follow the rules.

It would appear that every forum at this time of the year talks about the clubs in the GF paying too much and intimating thats why they are successful. Just on Hills alone the last few years has been talk about Echunga, Uri and Torrens Valley always mentioned and now Hahndorf joins the club. I bet you next year we can repeat the same discussions for whoever is the in the Grand final..! Its nonsense talk because none of us really know - lets concentrate on facts.. Facts are we have the top 2 sides playing this week on what will be heavy ground I presume. Lets hope for no rain on the day and a great tight tussle and spectacle.
wazzal77
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy