The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby RB » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:05 pm

wild dog wrote:Have a look at the commission http://www.sanfl.com.au/sanfl/sa_football_commission/ and you will see a bunch of fat drunk pigs with their snouts in the trough

EFA
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby RB » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:08 pm

cracka wrote:Yeah, I'm just interested if there's a dollar value/conditions/number of AFL listed players in the side etc, point where AFL reserves would be accepted in the SANFL.

No $ value for me. They could give the clubs a million each year, and while it would, at least mathematically, be a better deal, the league would still be prostituting itself and the reserves sides would still be a cancer on the competition.

You can't put a price on integrity.
RB
Coach

Postby Dogs72 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:17 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... ows-and-ma

Great article, pity about a lot of the dim witted comments below it. Not sure if it cut pasted properly, hard on the phone)http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/crows-and-magpies-should-be-banned-from-playing-sanfl-finals-says-cara-jenkin/news-story/b0e588db09e062cb778a20c6b8a4bebc

Maybe some posters from here can comment on the site?
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby wild dog » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:19 pm

Reddeer wrote:[Clearly you have been seduced by swammy lying political types who take you for everything. Just check your Electricity bill

huh? Not seduced by anyone, I want to change the situation and wonder if anyone is serious about doing something.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby wild dog » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:22 pm

RB wrote:
wild dog wrote:Have a look at the commission http://www.sanfl.com.au/sanfl/sa_football_commission/ and you will see a bunch of fat drunk pigs with their snouts in the trough

EFA

:lol: Could be an element of that. Still, can something be done about it?
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby RB » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:23 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
MW wrote:How many Crows AFL supporters actually support another SANFL side?
I have no interest in crows res games but happily go to westies

Thats the general feel with my mates who are Crows fans but follow their SANFL club, however the concern is the next generation who are being brought up to follow both in both competitions....and why wouldn't they? Try telling a 10 yo that he should follow one team in the AFL and another in the SANFL.

Where are the next generations of SANFL fans coming from?

That was most likely the case anyway. The group of kids 10-15 years old who are 5-10 years away from making their own decisions with their money and time are less likely to have a real interest in the SANFL at the moment because, in the main, their parents ( Dad ) no longer has the same interest in the SANFL.

That's not the people in this thread, that's the 120,000+ PAFC and AFC members in SA along with I would guess 10,000-15,000 or more North, West Coast, Hawthorn etc members who live in SA and have the AFL as their main priority.

I disagree with this, but even if you're right, taking the view that the SANFL was going to die anyway was pretty pathetic for the $ix league directors. When you compare the hard yards people like Phil Herden put into getting new fans with the willingness of the league directors to give up and reach their ankles it's very disappointing.

To put it simply, without the reserves teams, the league had a chance. We all know how many people follow teams in both the SANFL and AFL. (There are plenty of people on this site with a team in the SANFL, the AFL, the Premier League, the NFL, rugby league, etc. - I mean come on, Australians like their sport. In fact by the '80s many if not most regular SANFL fans had a favourite VFL team.) But now that the Crows and Power reserves sides are in the league, there is little reason for young kids to follow SANFL teams.

Talk about pathetic.
RB
Coach

Postby wild dog » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:29 pm

Dogs72 wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/crows-and-ma

Great article, pity about a lot of the dim witted comments below it. Not sure if it cut pasted properly, hard on the phone)http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/crows-and-magpies-should-be-banned-from-playing-sanfl-finals-says-cara-jenkin/news-story/b0e588db09e062cb778a20c6b8a4bebc

Well done Cara, great article.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby dogbreath » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:37 pm

wild dog wrote:
RB wrote:

EFA

:lol: Could be an element of that. Still, can something be done about it?

Sadly our once great league will go the same way as the last mob crooked Johnny was involved with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I-CNEQBJhk
dogbreath

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Dogs72 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:38 pm

Crows and Magpies should be banned from playing SANFL finals, says Cara Jenkin

CARA JENKIN, The Advertiser

September 13, 2016 2:13pm

THE SANFL has a very short amount of time to address the AFL-in-SANFL debacle before it kills the league completely.

Already it has caused fans to turn away. The further the Crows go, the more they spit on SANFL clubs, while supporters get disillusioned about following their team each year.

Because it’s not a fair playing field and all footy fans have ever wanted was fairness to both teams on the field.

I won’t go into all the reasons why it’s not fair, because they’ve been said before numerous times by SANFL club officials and fans.

But just try luring new people into a sport and supporting a team when their best prospect is getting flogged if they face an AFL team in finals.

Not all supporters are as passionate as me and my Dad and will front up to SANFL games whether their team is getting flogged or not. Fans will lose interest, and already those who are leaving the league are not being replaced.

It’s all very well and good for people who have barely attended a SANFL game – and have vested interested in the AFL teams – to tell the fans who are complaining to suck it up.

But finals mean something to all those affiliated to SANFL clubs that are in them.

It means nothing to AFL clubs who treat the games as a training run.

Winning an SANFL premiership means nothing to Adelaide FC supporters.

Who’s going to paint roundabouts in Crows colours when that side wins an SANFL premiership? Will it lift the spirits of a community? Will the premiership cup tour the state and be given pride of place in the trophy cabinet as AFL cups would? Not likely.

It’s like a silver Olympic medal for an athlete who is used to winning gold.

QUESTION OF THE WEEK

I don’t care if my team has beaten the Crows all season – when finals came, rules were appealed and 20 AFL-listed players were stacked into the AFL side, what chance does the other team have?

When a team’s own captain can’t get a run in a team because he’s not good enough, there’s something seriously wrong.

So what if most of the players in the AFL-aligned side have played few games at AFL level – they are still the cream of the crop from the SANFL and other leagues, all rolled into one team.

You can’t tell me Central’s arguably best player in last year’s finals series, this year fronting for the other side in a team of blokes just like him, won’t make a difference to the result.

This is the third year AFL sides have played in SANFL and it’s the third year one of the teams has made finals.

It may have taken a couple of years for the concept to gel but the writing now appears to be on the wall.

It doesn’t matter if the AFL team goes on to win a premiership or not, just being part of finals is damaging enough. Especially when the games – a neutral venue for all other teams – are being played at their home ground.

If the AFL sides really want to face good opposition and play the way they want through the season, then let them. But I’ve said all along, don’t let them play for premiership points. Maybe the SANFL club can get bonus points if they win during the season, or maybe it’s just a scratch match.

Come finals, the two AFL sides can play eachother until the last side bows out of the AFL finals to keep the players prepared. It can’t be any easier a game than the AFL clubs already have it on the field, going by the two SANFL finals results this year, and they can be guaranteed match time until the end of the season.

These sides should not be playing finals. It makes a mockery of the competition, turning it into a training, fitness and recruitment ground for the AFL sides, when to passionate players and upporters it means so much more.

Do you agree? Have your say below.

News Corp Careers section editor Cara Jenkin is a passionate Central Districts supporter, who also follows the Crows - but only in the AFL.
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:02 am

cracka wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
goddy11 wrote:JTC. To add to your point, what does Port actually give back to the SANFL. They pay no fees to SANFL clubs, play matches at Alberton, discourage their supporters from travelling to away games ala the South game at Noarlunga. At least the old Magpies added to player development.

That just reinforces my argument that the powers that be (no pun intended) at the SANFL are incompetent and not capable of running the league.
Personally, I'm not interested in any of the rumours that might be put out there, lining their own pockets, setting themselves up for an AFL number, etc, as they are all irrelevant to the main fact.
What is relevant to me though is their inability to say No, or if they genuinely believed having AFL Reserves in was better for the league, is their inability to broker a decent deal for their SANFL clubs that meant both AFL clubs played to the same set of rules. And their failure to see the true value of the SANFL League to the AFL clubs.

If they had it would have meant $150k p.a. to each SANFL club from each AFL club.
Allowing the SANFL clubs to use the fees on players by increasing the salary cap to $650k, which would help stop the drain of quality players to the ammos
No home games and no Reserves Reserves for Port
Adelaide and Port to fund any shortfall in sponsorship revenue for the TV deal and each club to have the same number of appearances as the two Reserves.

I'm sure there would be many other proviso's

And that those same people who were devoid of any ideas when "negotiating" the deal, are also devoid of any ideas now. Even if they voted to kick the AFL Reserves out right now, they simply have no ideas. The league would flounder because there just isn't anyone at the SANFL driving it forward. There is no one there that I'd have the least bit of confidence in to run any of my businesses let along something as important as the SANFL.

The pro AFLites would say "we told you so", completely missing the point that the only reason it failed was because of the incompetents running it.

Would that be enough for you to accept the AFL reserves sides or would you prefer them not in the SANFL at all

Personally, not at all. They do compromise the league and their aims are different to those of the genuine SANFL clubs.
The AFL Clubs make no secret that one of the core reasons for wanting to have a Reserves team and wanting it to play in the SANFL was to ensure that all their players were being trained in their footballing ethos and style. They didn't want other coaches influencing their players into playing different game styles.
The also make it clear they want to use the reserves for different reasons than to win a flag. Bringing back key AFL squad players from injury, resting them for AFL games, and the development of their own players are higher on their list of priorities than winning a flag ever will be.

None of this is complimentary to the aims of the genuine SANFL clubs or what the SANFL is really about.

I don't blame Adelaide or Port for wanting to have greater control over their own players and to have a league to play in that at least stretches them footballing wise. But it should be in a national Reserves League and not in a State League. I guess the fact that a national Reserves comp is possibly years away, means that the next best alternative would be the VFL. Whilst I am not advocating just 'dumping our trash in our neighbours bin', it does seem to me that the VFL is made up mostly of AFL Reserves teams now anyway, and is possibly a national reserves league in the making.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:14 am

Another interesting point is the possible damage to the SANFL if the clubs did form a Reserves League.

They can only have so many squad players, One team of A Grades and One team of B grades that are used to fill in , promote up etc.
They already have that now so how will that affect the number of players available to the SANFL Clubs?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby UK Fan » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:45 am

johntheclaret wrote:Another interesting point is the possible damage to the SANFL if the clubs did form a Reserves League.

They can only have so many squad players, One team of A Grades and One team of B grades that are used to fill in , promote up etc.
They already have that now so how will that affect the number of players available to the SANFL Clubs?

Agreed. Doubt it will have any affect to SANFL.

Most teams have their own reserves set ups now anyway.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:06 am

West Perth could be penalised over president Brett Raponi’s verbal attack on the alignment model, with the WAFL club issued with a please-explain notice by the WA Football Commission.

The State’s peak football authority contacted the Falcons yesterday to demand a formal response to Raponi’s critical assessment of the league’s alignment rules.

Raponi questioned the competition’s integrity as he urged the WAFC to rethink the partnership model after a Peel Thunder side stacked with 17 Fremantle-listed players demolished West Perth by 60 points at HBF Arena in Sunday’s first semifinal.

“Seventeen is far too many,” Raponi said post-match.

“It is very difficult for 17 AFL-listed players to go up against 22 semi-professional players.

“The WAFC should absolutely be having a look at that situation. We will suggest that to them. Maybe there’s a better way that could even up the competition.”

Raponi has been a long-running critic of the alignment model involving Peel and East Perth.

An AFL-listed footballer who has played at least five WAFL matches at either league or reserves level is deemed eligible for finals under existing rules.

Experienced Dockers Matt de Boer, Nick Suban, Zac Clarke and Tendai Mzungu all played significant roles for Peel in the second finals win in the club’s history.

A WAFC spokesman confirmed the commission would consider whether a fine or other penalty was appropriate after receiving the response from West Perth.

Peel received a major boost yesterday with Dockers forward Shane Yarran cleared to play in Sunday’s WAFL preliminary final against South Fremantle at Fremantle Community Bank Oval.

The 27-year-old can accept a reprimand for his late bump on West Perth’s Luke Meadows from the win at Joondalup.

West Perth forward Max Duffy was offered a one-match ban for striking former Fremantle teammate Nick Suban in the first quarter.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:28 am

Penalised for sharing his concerns and inquiring whether it could be handled better? Sporting organisations are so bloody soft these days
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby csbowes » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:53 am

This is what I hate about the leagues and the clubs...

The constant "we should withhold information and massage the truth so as to appear as though everything is good and wonderful" as opposed to having open, honest debate, admit there's an issue, publicise that debate within will be held and from that a decision will be made, which may be that no change is made, as lets face it, some options put forward are crap and make things no better or make the league look mickey mouse just as much, just honesty and honesty in dealing with the fans is what we want.

Sad that Parko and people want to mislead to save face. That's poor leadership in anyone's book.

If I'm wrong in my workplace, I take the hit and rectify, being wrong doesn't make you a bad leader, no one is perfect, but don't cover up mistakes.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:54 am

RB wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
MW wrote:How many Crows AFL supporters actually support another SANFL side?
I have no interest in crows res games but happily go to westies

Thats the general feel with my mates who are Crows fans but follow their SANFL club, however the concern is the next generation who are being brought up to follow both in both competitions....and why wouldn't they? Try telling a 10 yo that he should follow one team in the AFL and another in the SANFL.

Where are the next generations of SANFL fans coming from?

That was most likely the case anyway. The group of kids 10-15 years old who are 5-10 years away from making their own decisions with their money and time are less likely to have a real interest in the SANFL at the moment because, in the main, their parents ( Dad ) no longer has the same interest in the SANFL.

That's not the people in this thread, that's the 120,000+ PAFC and AFC members in SA along with I would guess 10,000-15,000 or more North, West Coast, Hawthorn etc members who live in SA and have the AFL as their main priority.

I disagree with this, but even if you're right, taking the view that the SANFL was going to die anyway was pretty pathetic for the $ix league directors. When you compare the hard yards people like Phil Herden put into getting new fans with the willingness of the league directors to give up and reach their ankles it's very disappointing.

To put it simply, without the reserves teams, the league had a chance. We all know how many people follow teams in both the SANFL and AFL. (There are plenty of people on this site with a team in the SANFL, the AFL, the Premier League, the NFL, rugby league, etc. - I mean come on, Australians like their sport. In fact by the '80s many if not most regular SANFL fans had a favourite VFL team.) But now that the Crows and Power reserves sides are in the league, there is little reason for young kids to follow SANFL teams.

Talk about pathetic.

Where the **** did I say the "SANFL was going to die anyway"? The SANFL was at another point in time where changes would be coming, like it or not.

But now that the Crows and Power reserves sides are in the league, there is little reason for young kids to follow SANFL teams.

That's not the only reason.There is a whole generation of passiontate football followers who simply don't know much about the SANFL, they're passionate, just not about the SANFL. Adelaide fans born around 1990, now closing in on their 30's will have kids who only hear Mum/Dad speak about SANFL sides as they, the parents, no longer follow the SANFL as either they once did, if at all. The children of those people would barely know where The Parade is, let alone who plays there. It's a generational change that was leaving the SANFL behind.

Both clubs forecast this some years ago. Port noted back in the early 00's that by mid 20-teens ( now ) there would be another wave of paying members / supporters coming through. Those born late 90's who knew little of the goings on before that time and whose family are Port people ( or, bless them, they made that choice themselves ) are now into their late teens/20's and are earning money and choosing where to spend it. They are not passionate SANFL people, they are passionate football people though.

Having said that, there's no doubt the reserves side entry has expedited that process for some people/families.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:12 am

Dogs72 wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/local-footy-sa/sanfl/crows-and-ma

Great article and its not closed have posted on there so come on all other posters on this site post your comments as well.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby StrayDog » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:54 am

To borrow from 'Doddy' on the Elim final thread...

"Don't wrestle with a pig folks, you both get dirty and the pig enjoys it." :D

Thoughtful article though.

That said, just taking these reserves sides out of the finals equation is all well and good. Trouble is, it still leaves clubs that are not 100% focussed on the SANFL League Flag influencing the final ladder positions of those that can and should be focussed on that prize.

We got a taste in the last third of last season what the Ravens were capable of when it suited them. Second to bottom after R13 with just two and a half wins, one of those against the "Magpies". They finished off the season from that point scoring at 2:1 to their opponents on average, just dipping out on finals - with notably superior percentage to Centrals.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby RB » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:I disagree with this, but even if you're right, taking the view that the SANFL was going to die anyway was pretty pathetic for the $ix league directors. When you compare the hard yards people like Phil Herden put into getting new fans with the willingness of the league directors to give up and reach their ankles it's very disappointing.

Talk about pathetic.

Where the **** did I say the "SANFL was going to die anyway"? The SANFL was at another point in time where changes would be coming, like it or not.

But now that the Crows and Power reserves sides are in the league, there is little reason for young kids to follow SANFL teams.

That's not the only reason.There is a whole generation of passiontate football followers who simply don't know much about the SANFL, they're passionate, just not about the SANFL. Adelaide fans born around 1990, now closing in on their 30's will have kids who only hear Mum/Dad speak about SANFL sides as they, the parents, no longer follow the SANFL as either they once did, if at all. The children of those people would barely know where The Parade is, let alone who plays there. It's a generational change that was leaving the SANFL behind.

Both clubs forecast this some years ago. Port noted back in the early 00's that by mid 20-teens ( now ) there would be another wave of paying members / supporters coming through. Those born late 90's who knew little of the goings on before that time and whose family are Port people ( or, bless them, they made that choice themselves ) are now into their late teens/20's and are earning money and choosing where to spend it. They are not passionate SANFL people, they are passionate football people though.

Having said that, there's no doubt the reserves side entry has expedited that process for some people/families.

Didn't say you did. Read my post
RB
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:03 pm

So if the Queensland and New Souith Wales clubs can play in a competition that transcends state borders why cant the South australian teams? Surely the Crows and Power have more money than the non traditional clubs in those states. Its pretty much the same plane flight yeah? Adelaide - Melbourne as Brisbane to Sydney
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL