Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby strike me pink » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:08 am

heater31 wrote:
strike me pink wrote:
godra wrote:Wray a nice inclusion for the Bombers. Just at the right time of year. Had been playing some decent football recently.

My tips - Flaggies over the Shoes. Bombers over the Emus.

Good luck to all.

Yes not many Clubs can qualify players from League Clubs nowadays but Brighton have obviously found away to get 4 games into Wray - hope he knows all his Team Mates Names :D

They probably got rounds 1-4 out of him at least ;)

On this player, not sure if he went off injured but don't remember him around the footy at all.
strike me pink
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Mister Footy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:53 am

Front & Centre wrote:Congratulations to the Happy Valley Under 18s. Been a tough year and they deserve recognition for getting to the GF. Previous games against Reynella were losses of 60 points plus both times but our boys wanted it more and were more disciplined.
They have pushed many kids up to the senior teams for most of the year due to injuries and departures. Means some players will be devastated not to have qualified and play with their mates. Tough for them but they've gained a lot in playing A and B grade. That's footy.

Would not be surprised to see a few players make the move back to Taylors Road now.

Well said F&C and Benny Peters winning 18s Mail Medal great result too :D :D :D
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Luke15 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:14 am

strike me pink wrote:
Dutchy wrote:2016 Mail Medal won by Liam Corrie of Morphett Vale

Club of the Year - Flagstaff Hill

Haven;t heard any other results

Yes and Matt Hodge runner up, Liam has had a stunning year dominating the midfield, a worthy winner,hopefully he can on the training track and play in the G.F - and then a good win on Saturday to top off a pretty good year for the Club.

Agree Corrie a very derved winner. Certainly was the stand out consistent performer.of the year.

Does anyone else get shitted off with how poor Gary Davenports pronounciation is of players names. He is deadset useles, even names that are straight fwd he stuffs up and players who have been in.our league a very long time he stuffs up.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby strike me pink » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:21 am

Luke15 wrote:
strike me pink wrote:

Yes and Matt Hodge runner up, Liam has had a stunning year dominating the midfield, a worthy winner,hopefully he can on the training track and play in the G.F - and then a good win on Saturday to top off a pretty good year for the Club.

Agree Corrie a very derved winner. Certainly was the stand out consistent performer.of the year.

Does anyone else get shitted off with how poor Gary Davenports pronounciation is of players names. He is deadset useles, even names that are straight fwd he stuffs up and players who have been in.our league a very long time he stuffs up.

Yes L15 agree Gary is a nice bloke but not a great M.C. I'm not bothering going to another medal night whilst they have Team of the Year and Best Team Mans etc - also have the Juniors on another night with a proper count.
strike me pink
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:41 pm

Luke15 wrote:
strike me pink wrote:

Does my head in too Luke15. We have had 2 of the 3 Riddle boys make Junior TOTY's the last 4 or 5 years and he has consistently pronounced their name Ridley every year. The word "riddle" is a word of the English language not just a name so how can you get that wrong. The funny thing last night was that he pronounced the younger one correct because there was also a Ridley in the U16 TOTY who also won the medal but when the older Riddle got named in the U18 TOTY good old Gazza pronounced it Rye-dell. Good grief - how hard is it to say Riddle. There was another lad named Peralta in the U14 TOTY. Not a typical Anglo name but surely the default pronunciation would be Pe-ral-ta, but Gazza somehow turned into about 5 syllables something like per-a-ta-li-a. There were many more examples but these are a couple I can recall.

Before the move to SAFC the old junior medal night was a bit amateur and I can understand the initial reason for bringing Senior and Junior together but I think the time might be right to go separate and have a separate junior night with a smaller cover charge and put platters of finger food on the tables which would do down a lot better with the kids and even some of the parents!!

Probably none of my business anymore but the clubs and SFL should review how to conduct the medal night(s). A stand alone Senior Night should have a proper placed TOTY selected by a panel. Maybe provide the Panel with the top 5 votegetters without divulging the votes so that the winner is assured of making the team. On the night do a full 3-2-1 count of A grade (only 6 games per round next year) and count the 3's for the B grade and C grade (if there is a C grade). Do away with the dodgy Team Man Awards and come up with some other awards so that the sponsors can be recognised and get their name on a Trophy. Maybe Best Under 21 Player or Rising Star etc. Or replace the Team Man Awards with a trophy for being runner-up in each medal. Most Team Manager's and Coaches would gladly do away with having to deal with the dreaded coloured slip after each match.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby afc9798 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
Luke15 wrote:
strike me pink wrote:

Does my head in too Luke15. We have had 2 of the 3 Riddle boys make Junior TOTY's the last 4 or 5 years and he has consistently pronounced their name Ridley every year. The word "riddle" is a word of the English language not just a name so how can you get that wrong. The funny thing last night was that he pronounced the younger one correct because there was also a Ridley in the U16 TOTY who also won the medal but when the older Riddle got named in the U18 TOTY good old Gazza pronounced it Rye-dell. Good grief - how hard is it to say Riddle. There was another lad named Peralta in the U14 TOTY. Not a typical Anglo name but surely the default pronunciation would be Pe-ral-ta, but Gazza somehow turned into about 5 syllables something like per-a-ta-li-a. There were many more examples but these are a couple I can recall.

Before the move to SAFC the old junior medal night was a bit amateur and I can understand the initial reason for bringing Senior and Junior together but I think the time might be right to go separate and have a separate junior night with a smaller cover charge and put platters of finger food on the tables which would do down a lot better with the kids and even some of the parents!!

Probably none of my business anymore but the clubs and SFL should review how to conduct the medal night(s). A stand alone Senior Night should have a proper placed TOTY selected by a panel. Maybe provide the Panel with the top 5 votegetters without divulging the votes so that the winner is assured of making the team. On the night do a full 3-2-1 count of A grade (only 6 games per round next year) and count the 3's for the B grade and C grade (if there is a C grade). Do away with the dodgy Team Man Awards and come up with some other awards so that the sponsors can be recognised and get their name on a Trophy. Maybe Best Under 21 Player or Rising Star etc. Or replace the Team Man Awards with a trophy for being runner-up in each medal. Most Team Manager's and Coaches would gladly do away with having to deal with the dreaded coloured slip after each match.

It really shouldn't be this hard. Also had to laugh at the Facebook post saying live updates would be provided, but expect spelling mistakes because it's being done on a phone!! Surely one person could be given this job with a laptop or iPad (or someone that can use a smartphone properly :oops: ).

As always, I respect those who volunteer, but they wonder why the SFL is seen as amateur hour in so many ways. Surely a better presenter, social media updates and a better format are not that hard to facilitate and I'm sure member clubs would help out where they can to make this night a success rather than a bloopers tape. Katrine Hildyard is a good speaker, surely that would have been a better person for the job if she was available.

On another matter. Congrats to the Emus and Bushpigs in the A's, well deserved getting there after very strong years in a tough comp at the top. Hoping for a great game and hoping for an Under 18 premiership for the Valley to give us some light after a tough year.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Old_mate21 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:29 pm

Why should the winner automatically get into the TOTY? Because the umpires voted them in? People are always saying how useless they are on here then want to back their judgement for the medal. Corrie was the best player this year easily. Priddis won a brownlow and didn't make the AA team. If you want it picked on merit you let the panel work it out. Umpires votes should just count towards the medal and that's it.
Old_mate21
Rookie

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby jet-airport » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:43 am

Well done to M Vale and Flaggies on reaching the top of the hill in 2016. Any one at the Vale comment on - Is Corrie inj ? or in doubt for this week? have heard a rumbling.

Cameron has done a great job considering where side was at last year, addition of 2 recruits and a better game style has seen a huge improvement IMO.
Flaggies have had the squad to get to the big dance in last 2-3 years and have now done it. Internally you would expect they believe they can take their chances and get a win.

Appears to be a fine day for GF, should suit both sides, and make for a cracker game - would of thought Emu's would have slight advantage if game was in the wet.

I'm going the Emus by 2 goal on the big SA oval, Flaggies 1st time in the big dance for some time, getting their Zone/Press right on the big deck will be a challenge for them and maybe the difference.

I will be enjoying a frothy or 2 looking forward to a good game!

P.S. SFL Officials - Please ensure you don't run out of COLD beer again, 1 JOB BOYS!!.....
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Dutchy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:17 pm

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... sID=385472

List of all the votes from every grade for the B&F's...credit to the SFL for releasing these.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby banterfordays » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:50 am

The HV U18s would be a better chance Saturday if they didn't have four of their best 22 (top ten really) not qualified to play finals. Poor management by the Club, writing was on the wall all year that the 18s would be going deep into finals whilst the senior sides wouldn't be.
banterfordays

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby banterfordays » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:54 am

Also I've heard the game will be played with the boundaries of Adelaide Oval dimensions, due to South Adelaide marking their oval with those dimensions for training purposes
What changes things up somewhat if true
banterfordays

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:32 pm

banterfordays wrote:Also I've heard the game will be played with the boundaries of Adelaide Oval dimensions, due to South Adelaide marking their oval with those dimensions for training purposes

Surely it wouldn't be that hard to change back, esp as South are out of the finals? Im guessing the only difference would be the pockets would be a lot narrower and not as deep as normal.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby heater31 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:36 pm

Dutchy wrote:
banterfordays wrote:Also I've heard the game will be played with the boundaries of Adelaide Oval dimensions, due to South Adelaide marking their oval with those dimensions for training purposes

Surely it wouldn't be that hard to change back, esp as South are out of the finals? Im guessing the only difference would be the pockets would be a lot narrower and not as deep as normal.

Given the recent rain I'm sure the oval needs to be remarked anyway....not sure how it's going to influence things because at the end of the day it's a patch of grass with goal posts at each end ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby afc9798 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:48 pm

If that's true, it's not a bad thing for juniors particularly. The play always gets sucked out to that far wing in the 14's and 16's which requires far more possession to get the ball through, plus from a spectating point of view, they might as well be in Mars if you're on the clubroom side.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Lucky it's not like the old days and played at Porties!

FB_IMG_1473907041064.jpg
FB_IMG_1473907041064.jpg (92.09 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MatteeG » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:26 pm

LOL @Wedgie. I was standing where the middle of that lake is on the weekend!
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times

Postby Front & Centre » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:18 pm

banterfordays wrote:The HV U18s would be a better chance Saturday if they didn't have four of their best 22 (top ten really) not qualified to play finals. Poor management by the Club, writing was on the wall all year that the 18s would be going deep into finals whilst the senior sides wouldn't be.

Actually BFD up until the second to last round A grade could have made finals and would have had some injured players back to assist the finals campaign. Our big losses were without key players who would have been available.
BC has done a better job of promoting juniors than previous A grade coaches sometimes out of necessity. We also now have an 18s coach who doesn't think it is all about him. Getting game time in young lads sets us up for a good 2017.
An 18s flag would be magnificent but getting to the GF despite this season is a credit to the squad. Anyone who saw the game against Reynella knows how well this team can play.
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Is a balancing act though, you have kids who only get 2 years to play 18's, they have the rest of their life to play A grade, you don;t want to disenchant them and leave. That being said if the kids agree to it I reckon its a great thing to promote them up.

On the Junior GF's can anyone make a case for the under dogs considering their last meetings -

14's Flaggies 26.16.160 v Reynella 0.0.0 4 weeks ago

16's Reynella 15.13.103 def Noarlunga 0.2.2 5 weeks ago

18's Brighton 13.14.92 def Happy Valley 1.5.11 3 weeks ago

Its one of the highlights of the day watching kids battle it out for a premiership and there have been some cracking games in recent years, sadly it looks like that won't be the case this year...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby shoe boy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:09 am

I have been informed that clubs must bring their own stretchers as South Adelaide refuse to allow use of there's ! :shock:
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Mister Footy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:32 am

Dutchy wrote:Is a balancing act though, you have kids who only get 2 years to play 18's, they have the rest of their life to play A grade, you don;t want to disenchant them and leave. That being said if the kids agree to it I reckon its a great thing to promote them up.

On the Junior GF's can anyone make a case for the under dogs considering their last meetings -

14's Flaggies 26.16.160 v Reynella 0.0.0 4 weeks ago

16's Reynella 15.13.103 def Noarlunga 0.2.2 5 weeks ago

18's Brighton 13.14.92 def Happy Valley 1.5.11 3 weeks ago

Its one of the highlights of the day watching kids battle it out for a premiership and there have been some cracking games in recent years, sadly it looks like that won't be the case this year...

Thing is anything can happen on Grand Final day though mate.

You only have to look at our 18s game against Reynella last week to see how finals footy can bring out the best - Reynella smashed us couple of times during the year and we made them look ordinary in a prelim,

Brighton may come into the game a bit cocky too I reckon :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL