The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:32 am

therisingblues wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
I was led to believe that the terms of the Clowns presence was to be reviewed annually, purportedly so that fine-tuning could occur. Chiggy mentioned this at the GFC information night.

I have heard that since then the clubs have made suggestions for change to the SANFL - and have been broadly told to **** off. "A deal is a deal" , apparently.

I very much suspect that a review of the license fee will be handled in a similar fashion.
Are they holding some sort of metaphorical gun to the club's heads? What is it they have over us to make the clubs go from a unanimous "NO" vote to a minimum required "YES" vote and then putting up with all this god damn arrogant crap? Surely if their proposal was so tenuous, with so many clauses written into the agreement, the clubs had grounds for specifying them.

Our biggest "blockers" to any licence renegotiation are Olson and Parkinson, they're the ones hell-bent on keeping the AFL clubs "sweet"

With this issue hanging over the sport: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-wealthiest-clubs-in-funding-battle-with-afl-20160915-grhf6q.html the SANFL are fearful any any more money being taken out of their share of the Adelaide Oval pie.

The SMA distribution will be negotiated first before any SANFL licence fee, and the SANFL doesn't want that to happen, hence why it keeps the AFL clubs happy over the SANFL clubs

The reality is the SANFL and it's sovereign clubs are between a rock and a very hard place.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:42 am

therisingblues wrote:JTC
It actually says "to be reviewed at the end of 2016 season".
The CPI applies"in subsequent seasons", and then as a "minimum".
I don't think we are painted into a corner as yet.

Yeah I saw the word 'minimum'. I just believe that without any performance related agreement in place, anyone who thinks the AFL Clubs are going to divi up anything more than the CPI minimum are kidding themselves. Sadly!
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby UK Fan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:31 am

WAFL clubs receive an extra $270k a year for afl reserves.

$150k in cash plus $120k in management grants.

http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=474

Last paragraph for those who don't want to read it all
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby JK » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:45 am

am Bays wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
I was led to believe that the terms of the Clowns presence was to be reviewed annually, purportedly so that fine-tuning could occur. Chiggy mentioned this at the GFC information night.

I have heard that since then the clubs have made suggestions for change to the SANFL - and have been broadly told to **** off. "A deal is a deal" , apparently.

I very much suspect that a review of the license fee will be handled in a similar fashion.
Are they holding some sort of metaphorical gun to the club's heads? What is it they have over us to make the clubs go from a unanimous "NO" vote to a minimum required "YES" vote and then putting up with all this god damn arrogant crap? Surely if their proposal was so tenuous, with so many clauses written into the agreement, the clubs had grounds for specifying them.

Our biggest "blockers" to any licence renegotiation are Olson and Parkinson, they're the ones hell-bent on keeping the AFL clubs "sweet"

With this issue hanging over the sport: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-wealthiest-clubs-in-funding-battle-with-afl-20160915-grhf6q.html the SANFL are fearful any any more money being taken out of their share of the Adelaide Oval pie.

The SMA distribution will be negotiated first before any SANFL licence fee, and the SANFL doesn't want that to happen, hence why it keeps the AFL clubs happy over the SANFL clubs

The reality is the SANFL and it's sovereign clubs are between a rock and a very hard place.

Was having this discussion with some mates yesterday, and this was my guess too .. The SANFL can't keep appearing to side with the needs of AFL clubs at the expense of their own competition (in terms of fairness and equality) without having some sort of reason (either real or perceived), and the only thing I could come up with was the share of SMA income.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:54 am

Thats the issue, SANFL comp is the bottom of the pile, they can't have Crows, Port or SMA/AO failing, if that means the SANFL fails and loses its stature I feel they don't really care as long as the 3 strong pillars are fine.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:34 am

If I am following this conversation correctly, then the AFL sides financial situation is not as secure as they would hope. Even the Crows, who returned a profit, might struggle as the AFL looks to close the gap between the haves and the have nots (Interesting strategy, as according to the article posted by Am Bays, 13 of the AFL clubs actually lost money last year. If they "closed the gap", that would leave a high chance that every club would be making a loss, but that loss would be evened out across the board, unless the new record telecasting rights deal just saves everyone and all is hunky dory. That's another conversation however).
The SANFL is therefore more concerned about the AFL clubs running smoothly, in order to keep filling the Adelaide Oval and paying off the associated debt?
Hence they'd rather keep the AFL clubs happy than their own competition?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:43 am

Just revisiting that article in the Age. Is it not amazing how 13 of the clubs recorded losses last year?
Isn't this just continuing a trend begun in the 70's by those spend hungry VFL clubs, and their inability to balance spending and income?
SANFL clubs did not truly begin to struggle until the 90's, once the Crows were formed and took Mr and Mrs Mainstream with them.
Now we are having a situation where SANFL clubs and AFL clubs are struggling.
It is quite well known that the VFL clubs were very close to falling over before the cash injection supplied in the form of license fees by the likes of West Coast and Adelaide. The greater exposure provided by the national stage and the devotion of Mr and Mrs Mainstream seems not to have translated into a consistent profit making system.
Surely a national competition should have been managed by the more financially viable SANFL, rather than built on this VFL ideal of spending cash that you don't have.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:56 am

johntheclaret wrote:
therisingblues wrote:JTC
It actually says "to be reviewed at the end of 2016 season".
The CPI applies"in subsequent seasons", and then as a "minimum".
I don't think we are painted into a corner as yet.

Yeah I saw the word 'minimum'. I just believe that without any performance related agreement in place, anyone who thinks the AFL Clubs are going to divi up anything more than the CPI minimum are kidding themselves. Sadly!

Interesting times....
I would suggest that if they agreed to it being a "minimum" then the Clubs have allowed themselves some bargaining power to request payment beyond that minimum.
My interpretation would then be that the Crows can take it or leave it. The latter meaning that the Crows would then have reneged on their part of the deal.
That scenario would depend on how the legals interpret/argue it. It would have to be pushed by the SANFL clubs, and they would need the stomach for the fight. I can't see the Crows laying down and taking such a proposal likely.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Keep ringing/writing SANFL to complain.

Phone has been off the hook this week. Those at SANFL house starting to crack.

Keep up the pressure people Olsen and Parkinson have had to send an internal email to calm everyone down.

The time to raise a motion of no confidence in John Olsen at your clubs Agm is now.
Last edited by UK Fan on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby VALE PARK » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Agreed.
To me if you are disenchanted with the current SANFL situation,
Complain to your clubs President and all the board.
No action result will be that nothing will happen that is certain.
Plus,
I get the feeling we can expect another 3 byes plus another bye for a state game into 2017.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:20 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Agreed.
Plus,
I get the feeling we can expect another 3 byes plus another bye for a state game into 2017.

I get the impression you're not a fan of the byes then?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:30 pm

Booney wrote:
VALE PARK wrote:Agreed.
Plus,

I get the impression you're not a fan of the byes then?

Never would have guessed that ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dogs72 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:21 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 0792a81a36

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... af0e1bd96d

Someone's had a bit of a crack at Ruccis latest two Reserves articles. Quite possibly the worst two articles ever written re the reserves (sorry kickinit)

"Michelangelo your current club captain is spot on.

Steve Summerton Facebook quote - "none of this one club #$%^ - its never been one club. That was just a ploy to try to get the Magpies supporters on board with the power. It makes me sick...A power reserves team will be full of blokes not playing for the prison bars, but playing only to get themselves noticed by the afl side. They will be playing AT our club not FOR our club...the integrity of the SANFL is now dead...and take down all the premiership flags down from the port power rooms and put them in the magpies rooms - you didn't win them the magpies did!"

Great to see some integrity and foresight"[i]

[i]Geez, and here I was last year cheering on who I thought was Wayne Milera being "nurtured" at central district. Obviously if it weren't for port he would never have been good enough to be drafted. What garbage

Turn Adelaide into an authentic club in the SANFL, there couldn't be a quicker way to close the doors of the SANFL, unless of course you give every SANFL club state of the art training facilities, full time footballers and a 10.6m salary cap. This is perhaps the worst article ever written re for or against the reserves debate.

The one club hasn't exactly worked a treat for the power. Now with the 8th worst home crowd attendances in the league as the loyal magpie supporter is now lost and disenchanted.

You constantly rabbit on about what's best for the afl clubs how about what's best for SANFL clubs in the SANFL competition.

The afl clubs will survive not being in the SANFL as they did successfully pre 2014. But the SANFL clubs will not survive with the afl clubs using the SANFL.

Michelangelo in your other article re the advantages of the reserves, you can only really put forward a couple of flimsy points.

The t.v rights; you say the $1m paid to seven was sourced by the afl clubs sponsors. Is this really correct or has the SANFL had to come up with $300,000 or the equivalent of $37,500 a club (for two or 3 games). You say if fox televise a vfl reserves competition people will stay at home on their couch and not venture to suburban grounds. Are you serious? Isnt this what's happening now and therefore not helping attendances or the survival of clubs? So people will stay home to watch Sydney reserves play Collingwood?

Have seven signed on for 2017?

You say what will happen when 5000 go to the crows versus Essendon at thebarton. Are you serious? Crows supporters don't go currently and port home game attendances have dropped 35%. In the VFL an Essendon v Collingwood game struggles to get over 2,000. We all know how good pro reserves advocates are at attendance predictions.

The constant raising of the $50,000 received per club as such a positive is never countered with the in excess of $800,000 lost revenue per year due to the close to 30% drop in crowds since their inception.

It's pretty obvious the experiment has failed. No one blames the crows or port for doing what they perceive in their best interest. But it's not in the interest of the SANFL clubs. It is now the fault of spineless SANFL boards and directors. As Roy said the SANFL now always will bendover to the AFL - there's too many afl board careers on the line.

Why did your friend Tripodi change his vote at the last minute (besides the lifting of recruitment restrictions due salary cap breaches)?

The afl don't want a national comp, with 13 afl clubs losing money, they'd rather "use" the SANFL and wafl. See the rumblings coming out the West, with peel thunders recent result.

For the sake of integrity and the only chance the SANFL has, take the risk
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby MW » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:56 pm

Not often I agree with Rucci, but time to put all the talk into action people.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby saintal » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:29 am

Rucci has consistently pushed the 'club model' for the Ravens. I fail to see how it would make any difference. Removes the bye in the reserves and gives them a steadier pool of top ups to call on- big deal. The elephant in the room remains regardless.

In one article he's stating the Ravens play in-front of officials and family, and in the next he's predicting 5K crowds at AFL reserve games. Rightio.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby DoublebluTiger » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:21 am

Rucci and Cornesy on 5AA talking about it on main stream media. It's a topic, Get on the phone and tell em. Here's your chance for your voice to be heard!
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 50 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:03 pm

sent
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby goddy11 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:11 pm

Interesting if the Crows AFL team win through to GF and the SANFL Cows win. Will the SANFL Crow withdraw players as there will only be a 6 day break.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 560 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Dogs72 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:13 pm

With the crows out against Sydney, the Eagles are now sitting pretty.
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby UK Fan » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:58 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... af0e1bd96d

The sky will fall if we don't do what the afl says. Bwwaaahhhh. Booneys smarter brother getting desperate.

150000 viewers and we pay them for tv rights ???

Let's call Ruucis bluff and tell them to piss off

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL