The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby UK Fan » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:47 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:
Magellan wrote:
hollywood7477 wrote:I know from my time with an SANFL Club in recent years the players look forward to playing the Crows and Port because it gives them an opportunity to test themselves against AFL listed players.

And the first two weeks of the finals proved that a finals quality SANFL team when matched up against a fully-fledged squad of AFL standard players fails that test dismally. I'm sure the Centrals and in particular the South players love the concept right now.

The Bulldogs and Panthers were as bad as the Crows were good. Both sides did themselves no favours in their respective games. If their players had played to their best they'd have been a lot closer or maybe even won!

Hadnt thought of that point.

Thanks captain obvious.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:57 pm

My pleasure. The average IQ on this thread is pretty low, so perhaps not obvious to all...

What'll you all talk about next season when the Crows and Power 2nds fail to make the finals???
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby southee » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:17 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:
Magellan wrote:
hollywood7477 wrote:I know from my time with an SANFL Club in recent years the players look forward to playing the Crows and Port because it gives them an opportunity to test themselves against AFL listed players.

And the first two weeks of the finals proved that a finals quality SANFL team when matched up against a fully-fledged squad of AFL standard players fails that test dismally. I'm sure the Centrals and in particular the South players love the concept right now.

The Bulldogs and Panthers were as bad as the Crows were good. Both sides did themselves no favours in their respective games. If their players had played to their best they'd have been a lot closer or maybe even won!

I think we all know that South and Central played a completely different Crows ressies side than the one Sturt came up against in their final. This included a Crows ressie side who had no interest in going further into GF which was pretty obvious in the preliminary final.

South's mistake was they should of beaten Sturt in the qualifying final.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:22 pm

Those grapes are pretty sour aren't they Southee...

You'd have been lucky to beat the Kenilworth B grade playing the way you did against Adelaide.
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Postby therisingblues » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:31 pm

southee wrote:
Cambridge Clarrie wrote:
Magellan wrote:

I think we all know that South and Central played a completely different Crows ressies side than the one Sturt came up against in their final. This included a Crows ressie side who had no interest in going further into GF which was pretty obvious in the preliminary final.

Agreed Southee.
At the very least the Ravens had more to play for while the Crows were still participating in the AFL finals. Had Sturt dropped that game to South it may well have been the Panthers playing the Eagles this Sunday.
I in no way can look at fate and say we are any better than the hand we have been dealt. I am just enormously thankful that we have made it this far and want to put our best performance to the test of the formidable Eagles in the Grand Final. All respect to South and I am not sure to what degree the Ravens actually tried to beat us in the Preliminary.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Spargo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:12 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:Those grapes are pretty sour aren't they Southee...

You'd have been lucky to beat the Kenilworth B grade playing the way you did against Adelaide.

Southee only stated factual points which you're clearly missing.
You had your chance to give South a bit of stick after you won the Qualifying Final. Hanging shit on them now with what has transpired is really poor form.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dogs72 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:My pleasure. The average IQ on this thread is pretty low, so perhaps not obvious to all...

What'll you all talk about next season when the Crows and Power 2nds fail to make the finals???

Well one of them has made it each year so far. They might both make it next year, who knows and not the main point. What some on here fail to comprehend, is this thread wasn't started after Port made the GF in 2014, or after the Crows made the finals this year. We've been talking about this, the worst decision in SANFL history, before they entered and very week since their entry.
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby therisingblues » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:38 pm

Dogs72 wrote:
Cambridge Clarrie wrote:My pleasure. The average IQ on this thread is pretty low, so perhaps not obvious to all...

Well one of them has made it each year so far. They might both make it next year, who knows and not the main point. What some on here fail to comprehend, is this thread wasn't started after Port made the GF in 2014, or after the Crows made the finals this year. We've been talking about this, the worst decision in SANFL history, before they entered and very week since their entry.

Exactly.
Our gripe is with their very existence in our league. Any success they have while sucking the blood out of our great comp is all insult to injury. Having said that, just about ANYTHING they do while sucking the blood out of our great comp is all insult to injury. This includes not trying, resting key players mid-game for duties in another league, coaches leaving mid-game because they have better things to do, consistent lack of atmosphere, lack of support from their fans, broken promises about promotion, saturating what media space should be devoted to our great comp with boring chatter about individuals showing promise in the reserves, moving games for their convenience, ridiculous scheduling of byes to satisfy their selfish fat bellies after they have gobbled up every other benefit that dared be noticed by their greedy want-everything-all-the-time tiny little brains... and the whole bloody time we just want them to bugger off and leave the competition untainted by their gerrymandering, meddling, contriving, inconsistent and mostly ignorant tampering of the game of football.
The SANFL is a completely different shape to the hole the AFL wants to jam it in, but they are too stupid or oblivious to understand that.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Reddeer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:50 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Dogs72 wrote:

Exactly.
Our gripe is with their very existence in our league. Any success they have while sucking the blood out of our great comp is all insult to injury. Having said that, just about ANYTHING they do while sucking the blood out of our great comp is all insult to injury. This includes not trying, resting key players mid-game for duties in another league, coaches leaving mid-game because they have better things to do, consistent lack of atmosphere, lack of support from their fans, broken promises about promotion, saturating what media space should be devoted to our great comp with boring chatter about individuals showing promise in the reserves, moving games for their convenience, ridiculous scheduling of byes to satisfy their selfish fat bellies after they have gobbled up every other benefit that dared be noticed by their greedy want-everything-all-the-time tiny little brains... and the whole bloody time we just want them to bugger off and leave the competition untainted by their gerrymandering, meddling, contriving, inconsistent and mostly ignorant tampering of the game of football.
The SANFL is a completely different shape to the hole the AFL wants to jam it in, but they are too stupid or oblivious to understand that.

Wow Thats exactly what I wanted to say!!
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby csbowes » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:03 am

Spargo wrote:

You had your chance to give South a bit of stick after you won the Qualifying Final. Hanging shit on them now with what has transpired is really poor form.

I don't disagree with what Southee wrote, but...

... supposition is not fact mate.

Southee expressed an opinion.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:43 am

csbowes wrote:
Spargo wrote:

I don't disagree with what Southee wrote, but...

... supposition is not fact mate.

Southee expressed an opinion.

I'd say he "repeated an opinion".
I'd even venture it is bordering on a SANFL sanctioned fact, based on their philosophy of finals programming.
Consider why the SANFL programmes the SANFL Grand Final the week before the AFL Grand Final. If I am not mistaken it is so that they have their reserve players practicing right up to the penultimate week, so there is always a potential supply of practiced players. So why not the week after the AFL Grand Final?
Would it not make sense that their reserves sides would be more likely to still be participating as far as the semi-final stage (as would be the case if our Grand final was one week after theirs) rather than a grand final (which is currently played the week before theirs)?
I think the answer is that the SANFL has the opinion that a reserves side has no business playing the week after the AFL side has finished. Am I right or wrong on that front?
Does anyone have the official reasoning for their decision to play our Grand Final the week before theirs? What is it about the inclusion of the reserves in our comp that has caused the need for us to wind up two weeks earlier than we used to? I am sure they have expressed the idea in the fanciest most benevolent sounding terms, but anyone can put a spin on even the meanest of messages to make it sound like they are doing you a favour.
If I am on the right track, and the SANFL will go to the extent of actually reprogramming its finals series to avoid the reserves playing superfluous matches after their seniors are finished, are they not in fact acknowledging that the reserves will, in fact, give up if their seniors are no longer competing?
Would the SANFL's enforcement of rules based on that thinking therefore push that thinking closer to FACT rather than just opinion? Maybe not, but we could definitely say that it is a fact that according to the SANFL's philosophy of programming finals matches, the Ravens had possibly no motivation in beating Sturt on the weekend.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:18 pm

southee wrote:
Cambridge Clarrie wrote:
Magellan wrote:

OK, so they didn't have Henderson in their side last week, I'll give you that one... Seedsman not playing against Sturt probably helped the Crows, not hindered.

Terrible waste of a year by the Panthers. Need to look long and hard at their list... Too much left to too few...
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Just proves that in finals football you can't be off your game for 1 minute otherwise it's going to cost you. Sturt got the job done over South in the 2nd half and I can't help but wonder if you would be popping your head up to take a swipe if the shoe was on the other foot.

The Cows that took to Adelaide Oval in the First Semi were a side with a vastly different mindset to the one that ran out 7 days later.

Sturt dodged a huge bullet by playing in the 2nd Semi and now have a GF to play for...
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby hollywood7477 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:05 pm

The Bulldogs and Panthers were as bad as the Crows were good. Both sides did themselves no favours in their respective games. If their players had played to their best they'd have been a lot closer or maybe even won![/quote]

South's mistake was they should of beaten Sturt in the qualifying final.[/quote]
Agreed Southee.
At the very least the Ravens had more to play for while the Crows were still participating in the AFL finals. Had Sturt dropped that game to South it may well have been the Panthers playing the Eagles this Sunday.
I in no way can look at fate and say we are any better than the hand we have been dealt. I am just enormously thankful that we have made it this far and want to put our best performance to the test of the formidable Eagles in the Grand Final. All respect to South and I am not sure to what degree the Ravens actually tried to beat us in the Preliminary.[/quote]

There is no way a player is going to not try in a Prelim Final. Ask any player if they had a chance to play in a GF would they have a crack. Saying the Crows players didn't try is crap. May aswell investigate them for bringing the game into disrepute. a few people careers could be ended if what you all say is true.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:07 pm

I'm not saying they didn't try. But, heck, to me, the only one who looked like he GAF was Milera.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:40 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
There is no way a player is going to not try in a Prelim Final. Ask any player if they had a chance to play in a GF would they have a crack. Saying the Crows players didn't try is crap. May aswell investigate them for bringing the game into disrepute. a few people careers could be ended if what you all say is true.

What I said is that I'm not sure how hard they tried. The reason I'm not sure is that a reserves side is, by definition, a support to the league side. If the league side is no longer playing... You join the dots, and if you don't at least arrive at a question then I'd say you just haven't thought about it.
BTW, why is the SANFL grand final the week before the AFL and not in its successful week after slot?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby hollywood7477 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:54 pm

therisingblues wrote:
hollywood7477 wrote:

What I said is that I'm not sure how hard they tried. The reason I'm not sure is that a reserves side is, by definition, a support to the league side. If the league side is no longer playing... You join the dots, and if you don't at least arrive at a question then I'd say you just haven't thought about it.
BTW, why is the SANFL grand final the week before the AFL and not in its successful week after slot?

Im not having a go at you in particular I just find it hard to believe a player wouldn't try in a prelim final. Not many people have given sturt much credit considering they were in the top3 the whole year and have played some fantastic football.
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby cracka » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:27 pm

Just wondering, if reserves side don't give a sh!t when the league side gets knocked out, how come Norwood & North were playing in the SANFL reserves prelim when neither of their league sides even made the finals.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Dutchy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:51 pm

cracka wrote:Just wondering, if reserves side don't give a sh!t when the league side gets knocked out, how come Norwood & North were playing in the SANFL reserves prelim when neither of their league sides even made the finals.

Cause SANFL don't have a mandatory 8 week holiday between seasons
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:52 pm

cracka wrote:Just wondering, if reserves side don't give a sh!t when the league side gets knocked out, how come Norwood & North were playing in the SANFL reserves prelim when neither of their league sides even made the finals.

Both of them couldnt lose.
If the Prelim Final last week was the Ravens v Power I think you'd find one of them still won no matter how much they gave a shit.
The week before the Eagles beat Norwood, they obviously had a lot more to play for than Adelaide did before their A grade got knocked out in Sydney.
And maybe the clubs have a bit of club pride since they're playing in the same comps as their League sides.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL