Geelong 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Geelong 2016

Postby Brodlach » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:38 pm

Don't like this one BC ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Brodlach wrote:Don't like this one BC ;)

Lol. **** I've been looking for that for ages.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:17 am

Congrats to Danger on winning the AFL MVP by 10 country miles, he really has improved a lot this year, it's amazing what a change of environment can do.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby MW » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:46 am

Wedgie wrote:Congrats to Danger on winning the AFL MVP by 10 country miles, he really has improved a lot this year, it's amazing what a change of environment can do.

Happy wife, happy life ;)
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:57 am

Wedgie wrote:Congrats to Danger on winning the AFL MVP by 10 country miles, he really has improved a lot this year, it's amazing what a change of environment can do.

Imagine how good he could be if he could hit a target[emoji6]

But seriously if he can fix up his terrible kicking he has the ability to go down as a great by the end of his career. Could easily win multiple Brownlows and other awards
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:58 am

Jim05 wrote:

But seriously if he can fix up his terrible kicking he has the ability to go down as a great by the end of his career. Could easily win multiple Brownlows and other awards

What's emoji6?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:59 am

Wedgie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

What's emoji6?

Wink.
I rate the guy highly but his kicking is nowhere near elite standard yet
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:02 pm

It doesnt have to be for him to go down as an all time great imo.

The way he is going he will win the next couple of brownlows unless the Bont takes one off him
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:54 pm

I just read in the courier hahndorf only has 13 locals that played junior footy playing in their As this weekend. Is that true? I thought it was a few more than that.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:56 pm

batmanbegins wrote:I just read in the courier hahndorf only has 13 locals that played junior footy playing in their As this weekend. Is that true? I thought it was a few more than that.

Errr in the Geelong thread?!?

Or is there some truth in the Jaensch to the Cattery rumours?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:01 pm

Corona Man wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:I just read in the courier hahndorf only has 13 locals that played junior footy playing in their As this weekend. Is that true? I thought it was a few more than that.

Errr in the Geelong thread?!?

Or is there some truth in the Jaensch to the Cattery rumours?

Sorry fellas been a long day.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Half Back Flanker » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:43 am

I just wanna put it out there.......I don't think Chris Scott can coach. Inherited Bombers team in 2011 but has had the talent since but we haven't been able to take it further since. We also need to make some big changes with some of these inconsistent players ie Motlop. Thoughts peeps??
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby Chuck Wepner » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:18 am

Half Back Flanker wrote:I just wanna put it out there.......I don't think Chris Scott can coach. Inherited Bombers team in 2011 but has had the talent since but we haven't been able to take it further since. We also need to make some big changes with some of these inconsistent players ie Motlop. Thoughts peeps??

Sure he can coach. But not as well as Clarkson, Longmire, Beveridge, Cameron, or Bomber Thompson for that matter.
I say no to drugs, but they don’t listen.
Chuck Wepner
Under 16s

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: United Yeelanna

Postby helicopterking » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:07 am

Half Back Flanker wrote:I just wanna put it out there.......I don't think Chris Scott can coach. Inherited Bombers team in 2011 but has had the talent since but we haven't been able to take it further since. We also need to make some big changes with some of these inconsistent players ie Motlop. Thoughts peeps??

From what I've seen, I think Geelong have to many similar players. Both in size and position.
Guthrie, Smedts, Lang, S.Selwood, Cowan, Murdoch,Caddy, Bews, Horlin Smith,Menegola,Duncan, Thurlow and I'm sure many more.

Menegola has improved, but out of the rest of them, who could you say has improved, or will be able to go to that next level and be that really good 3rd or 4th midfielder you desperately need. A few of these guys have been on your list for some time, are they capable?
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:35 am

Put it out there? Most cats fans have been saying that for years.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:56 pm

helicopterking wrote:

From what I've seen, I think Geelong have to many similar players. Both in size and position.
Guthrie, Smedts, Lang, S.Selwood, Cowan, Murdoch,Caddy, Bews, Horlin Smith,Menegola,Duncan, Thurlow and I'm sure many more.

Menegola has improved, but out of the rest of them, who could you say has improved, or will be able to go to that next level and be that really good 3rd or 4th midfielder you desperately need. A few of these guys have been on your list for some time, are they capable?

Guthrie has had a solid year, Smedts, Selwood and Thurlow have been injured nearly all year. Cowan is for some reason a massive whipping boy...he's played less than 20 games ditto Lang. Duncan has been disappointing this year but he hasn't been the same player after being injured last season and getting mummified once he got fit. I think Caddy probably isn't the mid we have been trying to turn him into. I believe he should play that Chappy role in the forward line with the occasional pinch hit in the middle.

I think the only two you got right was Murdoch and GHS. I'm not sure how an opposition fan could really comment on GHS though as he rarely gets a game. Victorian Cats that get out to the Ressies say the knock is pace and decision making which makes him a bit like Toumpas so perhaps we can ship him off to Port ha ha. Murdoch has been given the opportunity and has been unable to find consistency.

The biggest problem the Cats have is we've been trying to rebuild after a successful period trying to replace the champions and never wases with shithouse draft picks. We've tried to use the "targeted recruiting model" with limited success excluding Dangerfield, Rivers and Henderson. A lot of the guys you mentioned have hardly played a game this year. Despite our issues we did go 9-3 against top eight sides and we did finish second. It's a hard team to break into and it's hard to improve when you're injured or in the Ressies.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby helicopterking » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
helicopterking wrote:

Guthrie has had a solid year, Smedts, Selwood and Thurlow have been injured nearly all year. Cowan is for some reason a massive whipping boy...he's played less than 20 games ditto Lang. Duncan has been disappointing this year but he hasn't been the same player after being injured last season and getting mummified once he got fit. I think Caddy probably isn't the mid we have been trying to turn him into. I believe he should play that Chappy role in the forward line with the occasional pinch hit in the middle.

I think the only two you got right was Murdoch and GHS. I'm not sure how an opposition fan could really comment on GHS though as he rarely gets a game. Victorian Cats that get out to the Ressies say the knock is pace and decision making which makes him a bit like Toumpas so perhaps we can ship him off to Port ha ha. Murdoch has been given the opportunity and has been unable to find consistency.

The biggest problem the Cats have is we've been trying to rebuild after a successful period trying to replace the champions and never wases with shithouse draft picks. We've tried to use the "targeted recruiting model" with limited success excluding Dangerfield, Rivers and Henderson. A lot of the guys you mentioned have hardly played a game this year. Despite our issues we did go 9-3 against top eight sides and we did finish second. It's a hard team to break into and it's to improve when you're injured or in the Ressies.

Regards,

REB

The guys I mentioned, I mentioned more so about how similar size and position they play, not ability.
I'm unaware of how their season has unfolded regarding injury, but these guys have been on a list for some time, and if you were to get harsh on your list, which ones would you move on, maybe to get that higher draft pick and which ones do you think could move into a positions soon to be vacated by Mackie,Lonergan,Enright.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:24 pm

Barring Murdoch, I don't see any of that list as potential trade bait. I think Motlop is and I think Vardy's days are numbered and so are Mitch Clarks. Our list is already two short so we are pretty limited as to who we can move on out of those listed players. I think Mackie has another year on his contract. Why we gave him two years when we flicked Johnson I'll never know.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:41 pm

I'm scared for our future now.
We recruited for this flag.
All season our 2nd tier players have been far too inconsistent.
Chris Scott is a stubborn ****, who refuses to believe that plan A doesn't work.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:59 pm

To put things into perspective we were 10th last year. If I open up my laptop again soon Ill post a synopsis. Too bloody hard on the phone.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL