2016 SANFL Grand Final - Sunday Sep 25 (Adelaide Oval)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2016 SANFL Grand Final - Sunday Sep 25 (Adelaide Oval)

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:23 am

The image of Godden hands over his face when Kirkwood hit the final nail in was harrowing viewing. Can't say I know Mick well, I know his right hand man well and I felt for him there and then. He's a ripper of a bloke, rough watching him in that much agony. I've also got to know Allmond a bit, he too is a bloke you don't enjoy seeing with that blank on his face, hell of a nice fella.

On the other hand the images of Boyd in tears I could have watched for hours. Wundke, Ainger and Boyd have all chased that illusive dollar.....I mean premiership and they are not there just yet.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:43 am

Booney wrote:The image of Godden hands over his face when Kirkwood hit the final nail in was harrowing viewing. Can't say I know Mick well, I know his right hand man well and I felt for him there and then. He's a ripper of a bloke, rough watching him in that much agony. I've also got to know Allmond a bit, he too is a bloke you don't enjoy seeing with that blank on his face, hell of a nice fella.

On the other hand the images of Boyd in tears I could have watched for hours. Wundke, Ainger and Boyd have all chased that illusive dollar.....I mean premiership and they are not there just yet.

How do you know Allmond Booney? I had Hansen for first goal and as he was about to snap it Jared came form now where and tackled him. was dead set spewing :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:53 am

Well done to Sturt. Deserving winners on the day..

Eagles first qtr was the killer. We couldn't hit the scoreboard when we had the play, and Sturt kicked goals when they went forward and took the opportunities in the first half. Had we been 4.1 instead of 1.4 at qtr time, I think we go on and win it. We didn't, and gave Sturt a sniff and they took control of the game..

Wundks was good. We didn't get the ball in to him quick enough to allow him constant 1 on 1's. But when we did he generally won them. Petrenko was good but faded out. Boyd and O'Brien were accumulating without being damaging. Allmond was serviceable. Just had too many players down on the day, for the second year running..

Interesting that all 3 sides that had only played 1 game in 3 weeks lost this weekend.. GWS and Geelong, and the Eagles. The conversation of the best way to prepare for finals continues with no clear answer..

Eagles have some decisions to make. 3 retired already with another 2 unlikely to go on.. Few depth players also looking at moving on. Important off season coming up
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:57 am

This from the round 3 - Sturt v Centrals game thread.
We saw it yesterday.

Dogwatcher wrote:Well done, Sturt, a really good, affirming win on Sunday.
Their pressure on the ball carrier was immense and really constricted our run.
However, if the Blues bring that intensity and work rate throughout the season, it's the brand of footy that can bring the ultimate success.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:00 am

Looked impotent forward of centre. Ainger never looked likely and Wundke was the only target who appeared to be "on" on the day.

I thought Petrenko was in and out of the game too often, Allmond was probably best across the back half, Poole tried but had little help, Thompson good on Beard in the 1 on 1's, when Beard got the good delivery he needed Thompson was helpless.

I thought Riley's game for Sturt wasn't mentioned as much as it should have been, 26 touches, 9 tackles and 9 clearances.

All in all though the game wasn't much of a spectacle as far as this neutral was concerned. Not many highlights, 43-34 I50's with only 19 goals and 3 of them came late for the Blues. The post match presentations with the lady halting every player and kid for a photo was strange, are we doing that now?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:06 am

At quarter-time I thought the Eagles would have been disappointed, while Sturt would have been quietly confident.
Throughout, they didn't let the Eagles get away and then drilled them in the last quarter.
I thought the sliding free was a bit rough, but made up for the non-decision just before.
Thoughts on the hanger at the other end? I was okay with it.

Kirkwood's calmness with the ball early was critical - resulting in a number of goal assists. Critical times.
Beard kicked goals when needed.
I thought there were moments Ainger was going to take control of the game, but it just never happened.

As for the atmosphere, I felt the game was strangely flat, particularly the presentations, even from the players, afterwards.
It was strange. Maybe it was different at the ground.

Well done, Sturt. A gutsy win.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby heater31 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:10 am

Booney wrote:The post match presentations with the lady halting every player and kid for a photo was strange, are we doing that now?

Guessing that was the SANFL photographer? Can't recall her name.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:11 am

heater31 wrote:
Booney wrote:The post match presentations with the lady halting every player and kid for a photo was strange, are we doing that now?

Guessing that was the SANFL photographer? Can't recall her name.

Deb Curtis I think.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:11 am

human_torpedo wrote:Well done to Sturt. Deserving winners on the day..

Eagles first qtr was the killer. We couldn't hit the scoreboard when we had the play, and Sturt kicked goals when they went forward and took the opportunities in the first half. Had we been 4.1 instead of 1.4 at qtr time, I think we go on and win it. We didn't, and gave Sturt a sniff and they took control of the game..

Wundks was good. We didn't get the ball in to him quick enough to allow him constant 1 on 1's. But when we did he generally won them. Petrenko was good but faded out. Boyd and O'Brien were accumulating without being damaging. Allmond was serviceable. Just had too many players down on the day, for the second year running..

Interesting that all 3 sides that had only played 1 game in 3 weeks lost this weekend.. GWS and Geelong, and the Eagles. The conversation of the best way to prepare for finals continues with no clear answer..

Eagles have some decisions to make. 3 retired already with another 2 unlikely to go on.. Few depth players also looking at moving on. Important off season coming up

Apart from Jarrad, who has retired and who is unlikely to go on?

Thought that while Osborne did do much, occasionally imposed himself physically on the play to at least remind our players he was around, but our ruckmen were very poor around the ground.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:14 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Thoughts on the hanger at the other end? I was okay with it.

For mine, Martins mark every day of the week.

On the "trip/below the knees" paid to Sturt in the last 1/4, that was embarrassing, almost as embarrassing as the holding the ball the same umpire missed just moments earlier.

Umpires were really good until the last quarter when the heat was on, much like the Eagles.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:19 am

Raymond and Ainger have retired. Lewis I would say is 50/50 to go on, albeit he is contracted but whether he goes on or not.. O'Brien weighing up whether to return to Melbourne or go another year
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:43 am

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Thoughts on the hanger at the other end? I was okay with it.

For mine, Martins mark every day of the week.

On the "trip/below the knees" paid to Sturt in the last 1/4, that was embarrassing, almost as embarrassing as the holding the ball the same umpire missed just moments earlier.

Umpires were really good until the last quarter when the heat was on, much like the Eagles.

Martin/McGregor should have been a ball-up or play-on IMO.
The one you referred to was a bad piece of umpiring both ways, the below-the-knees inconsistent with Sturt getting a free and goal for too-high in similar circumstances in the second quarter.
One other mistake in the first quarter was Wundke forcefully pushed sheperder in the back and the play ended up in a throw up.
Thought apart from these blatant ones, the umpiring was very good.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:46 am

Booney wrote:The image of Godden hands over his face when Kirkwood hit the final nail in was harrowing viewing.

^ this, and...

On the other hand the images of Boyd in tears I could have watched for hours.

^ this. :twisted:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Panther Pack » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:49 am

Ainger has been quite vocal over the years about leaving South cause he couldn't see any success at the Panthers.

Guess he didn't get what he was after, two Grand Finals for Zero Premierships!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:52 am

Panther Pack wrote:Ainger has been quite vocal over the years about leaving South cause he couldn't see any success at the Panthers.

Had 2 better opportunities than he would have had if he stayed at South..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Panther Pack » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:57 am

human_torpedo wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:Ainger has been quite vocal over the years about leaving South cause he couldn't see any success at the Panthers.

True

Still happy he didn't win any though.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 139 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:59 am

Panther Pack wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:

True

Reckon a certain coach had a fair bit to do with it also. He just realised it sooner and had an out of being uncontracted before the rest.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby human_torpedo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:00 am

Panther Pack wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:

True

I understand that. I can see why

Similar to why I don't want Sydney to win this weekend because that would bring joy to Kurt Tippett..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:06 am

Booney wrote:The image of Godden hands over his face when Kirkwood hit the final nail in was harrowing viewing. Can't say I know Mick well, I know his right hand man well and I felt for him there and then. He's a ripper of a bloke, rough watching him in that much agony. I've also got to know Allmond a bit, he too is a bloke you don't enjoy seeing with that blank on his face, hell of a nice fella.

Agree feel for Godden, obviously a quality coach and bloke, if he sticks to it he will get another crack.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:07 am

How frustrating is it that the opening line to the Advertiser's main article on Sturts great win is about no being able to hold onto Mattner due to AAFL clubs circling :roll:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL