2016 SANFL Grand Final - Sunday Sep 25 (Adelaide Oval)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2016 SANFL Grand Final - Sunday Sep 25 (Adelaide Oval)

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Booney wrote:All in all though the game wasn't much of a spectacle as far as this neutral was concerned. Not many highlights, 43-34 I50's with only 19 goals and 3 of them came late for the Blues. The post match presentations with the lady halting every player and kid for a photo was strange, are we doing that now?

And with that Booney, the debate about rule changes will continue.

The SANFL brought the rule change in to increase scoring, yet on a day that was perfect weather wise we get 19 goals. Obviously I'm not complaining but it was a dour affair when it could/should be higher scoring.

As long as coaches have ar$eholes pointing to the ground, they'll take a 12-7 goal win anyday over a shoot out. So now the rules committee will have to bring in NEW rules to counter the defensiveness if they want to attract people back to the SANFL.

My personal opinion, is that the out of bounds rule shouldn't have been brought in at all. Did it make one skerick of difference yesterday? Maybe the interpretation of deliberate out of bounds has been beneficial but seriously, it was never going to increase scoring overall IMO.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:12 pm

tipper wrote:well done Sturt. ill look forward to seeing the blues on the chimney next time i drive down port road.

I'll bet the brewery workers were happy with the result; they only had to repaint the top half of the chimney :lol:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Hazydog » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Well done Sturt. Agree with an earlier post (Booney I think) re Riley's game. Personally I thought he was BOG for his work around the clearances.

The other thing that has stood out all year is the exceptional return from the group of Martin, McMahon, Osborne and Riley, all recruited after AFL careers and with no chance of resuming an AFL career. That alone speaks volumes for Mattner's ability to get the best out of all his squad.

I mention this as a Centrals fan, and noting we have had a policy for a while of generally not recruiting these types and given how we have struggled with recruiting over the last few years, we may need to have a rethink.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:26 pm

Pseudo wrote:
tipper wrote:well done Sturt. ill look forward to seeing the blues on the chimney next time i drive down port road.

I'll bet the brewery workers were happy with the result; they only had to repaint the top half of the chimney :lol:

Ironic isn't it, that arguably the most common colour for the teams coming 2nd on the chimney is "Gold"
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Interesting/Irrelevant Mattner stat - Last game as a player was in a winning GF and his side laid over 100 tackles...
Sunday Sturt laid over 100 tackles.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:06 pm

holden78 wrote:Lewis gets third best player at the Eagles club awards and Chairman C--- Slaven makes the loser of all loser's speech
to mostly suprised diehards ( all 27 of us ) by spinning how we are the envy of the League and how great it is to win
the overall grades trophy :oops:
And they wonder why........ ???? Laughing stock, that can't make a tough call on any level :roll: :roll:

How many back there last night HZ?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:37 pm

johntheclaret wrote:Beer number two coming up.
Sturt will know all about Adelaide Reserves effort and why. I doubt anyone at Sturt will not know how tough the job ahead will be.
Eagles are the best team in the comp this year and will be too strong for Sturt. The game will mean more to them than it did to Sturt's last opponents
Torrens by 20-25 points

YOU BEAUTY!!!
Love your work JTC and beer number two it is! You can drink it anyway you like as long as it ends up inside your guts!!!
How am I supposed to get the bloody thing to you? You live in the land of ice and snow IIRC?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:47 pm

Hazydog wrote:Well done Sturt. Agree with an earlier post (Booney I think) re Riley's game. Personally I thought he was BOG for his work around the clearances.

The other thing that has stood out all year is the exceptional return from the group of Martin, McMahon, Osborne and Riley, all recruited after AFL careers and with no chance of resuming an AFL career. That alone speaks volumes for Mattner's ability to get the best out of all his squad.

I mention this as a Centrals fan, and noting we have had a policy for a while of generally not recruiting these types and given how we have struggled with recruiting over the last few years, we may need to have a rethink.

Very true words there HazyDog. After Sturt's win against South I noticed how much of a valuable contribution McMahon makes to the side, I kept an eye out for him especially over this finals series and he is Mr Reliable when he is around the ball, I am thinking that about 80% of what he does with the pill is to Sturt's immediate advantage. I have loved Riley's game all year, a very tough approach and great decision maker with the ball, always seems aware of how much time he's got and where to deliver. Osborne has been such an obvious contributor this year, and at times plays like a rover when there is a gap to fill, just his presence at contests means that the crumbers get a good feed if he doesn't grab it himself. Martin had a terrific year but seemed a bit out of sorts in the first two finals, but was back to his best in the Preliminary and Grand Finals.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby am Bays » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:33 pm

24 hiours later a big shout out to @knowledge, one of the best blokes in the SANFL who has been a dedicated Sturt man for over 35 years.

Lots of great people working at SANFL clubs none better than this bloke, who is the best at what he does in SANFL
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby wedgetail » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Booney wrote:
holden78 wrote:Lewis gets third best player at the Eagles club awards and Chairman C--- Slaven makes the loser of all loser's speech
to mostly suprised diehards ( all 27 of us ) by spinning how we are the envy of the League and how great it is to win
the overall grades trophy :oops:
And they wonder why........ ???? Laughing stock, that can't make a tough call on any level :roll: :roll:

How many back there last night HZ?

Made a smart decision to bring everyone upstairs to present the players. Standing room only so I would guess about 400. That sums up winning v losing. About 3000 there in 2011.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby wedgetail » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Losing 2 in a row like that is a devastating feeling. Feel gutted for Godden. Sturt played out of their skin and stopped our run. Won't win a flag with this squad. Need more leg speed and a greater level of hardness, physically and mentally. We have a well organised, well run and competitive club but have underachieved in terms of premierships over the years. We keep presenting but failing at the final hurdle too often. We don't seem to cope well with the 'favourites' tag - 1994, 2000, 2015 and 2016 and I am convinced that we didn't play enough footy in the past 2 finals series by finishing minor premiers and winning the 2nd semi. Sturt were peaking nicely with 3 finals matches and once they held us in the first quarter, we were in trouble, much like last year against west.
Will Sturt finish bottom like west did in the following year- doubt it. As for the Eagles, I reckon we might slip down the ladder a little but that might be a good thing in the long run.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times

Postby blueandwhite » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Panther Pack wrote:Ainger has been quite vocal over the years about leaving South cause he couldn't see any success at the Panthers.

Guess he didn't get what he was after, two Grand Finals for Zero Premierships!

heard that Aingers'farewell is to be held at the Marion Hotel....... :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:35 pm

blueandwhite wrote:
Panther Pack wrote:Ainger has been quite vocal over the years about leaving South cause he couldn't see any success at the Panthers.

heard that Aingers'farewell is to be held at the Marion Hotel....... :shock: :shock: [emoji38] [emoji38]

A former club captain getting an invite too? ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Panther Pack » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:40 pm

heater31 wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:

heard that Aingers'farewell is to be held at the Marion Hotel....... :shock: :shock: [emoji38] [emoji38]

Neil Kerley???
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby knowledge » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:14 pm

am Bays wrote:24 hiours later a big shout out to @knowledge, one of the best blokes in the SANFL who has been a dedicated Sturt man for over 35 years.

Lots of great people working at SANFL clubs none better than this bloke, who is the best at what he does in SANFL

Thank-you....I'm flattered. I really felt for the WWT Training Staff after the match on Saturday. Like at most clubs (and I don't expect the punters to know just what goes in to getting these boys out on the ground each week) mine is a labour of love. Endless amounts of massage, treatment, picking them up when they're down emotionally. I'm just wrapped for our players and my club. I'm an SANFL tragic - with or without the two AFL sides. 37 years on, I'm no less enthusiastic!
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby Reddeer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:00 pm

Woodville West Torrens continue their role as a very caring club. We just like spreading the Premierships around to clubs that haven't had success for awhile West 32 years Sturt 14 years We have proved over time that we are a very good training ground for players to go on to bigger and "better" things The list is enormous. I am very very glad that it was a proper SANFL club (if it couldn't be us) that won the holy grail and not an rich intruder like happened in other leagues around the country
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times

Postby blueandwhite » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:01 pm

heater31 wrote:
blueandwhite wrote:

:finga: :-BD
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby southee » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:44 pm

Yeah, my heart really broke for the 3 amigos !!!! :lol:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:43 am

therisingblues wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:Beer number two coming up.
Sturt will know all about Adelaide Reserves effort and why. I doubt anyone at Sturt will not know how tough the job ahead will be.
Eagles are the best team in the comp this year and will be too strong for Sturt. The game will mean more to them than it did to Sturt's last opponents
Torrens by 20-25 points

YOU BEAUTY!!!
Love your work JTC and beer number two it is! You can drink it anyway you like as long as it ends up inside your guts!!!
How am I supposed to get the bloody thing to you? You live in the land of ice and snow IIRC?

Keep them warm TRB.

I'll collect them next time I'm in town ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Barto » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:52 pm

There's a Simpsons quote for every occasion

It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL