GRAND FINAL SYDNEY VS WESTERN BULLDOGS

Talk on the national game

Re: GRAND FINAL SYDNEY VS WESTERN BULLDOGS

Postby Power From Port » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:59 am

amber_fluid wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:First of all let me say Sydneys mids Kennedy aside are flat track bullies, thats a flogging in 14 and 16 now. Struggling to justify the salary cap they take. The recruiting of Franklin has been an out and out failure, 3 years no flags, reportedly just moving into the biggest pay packet of his contract which will see Mitchell become a Hawk. How awesome 2 flags, no Buddy and now we get one of your best mids, lol lol lol. Sydney cant win a flag with the current list, ive never been surer of that, the list will get pulled apart more and more for the last 6 years of Lances contract, lol lol lol
Congrats to the Dogs, took full advantage of the system presented to them. Lets not get too carried away, only way they survive 1st week of the finals is because of the bye. Its a disgrace and Gillon should be sacked over it, absolutely no advantage to the teams that bust their guts to finish top 4. Huge asterisk *****
Fantastic coaching effort from Bevo, obviously has the players 120% playing for him....... but...... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese...... Bob Murphy isnt the 1st to miss a Grand Final through injury and wont be the last, **** he's not even the 1st captain to miss. Lets keep the day for the ones that earn it ffs or should we make it a participation medal like the U10s, why not just give a medal to everyone who played AFL this year. Murphy should be embarrassed to accept it and I hope Beveridge never gets another win, they arnt something to throw away willy nilly.
And lastly Sydney were carrying about $300 of my hard earned and i couldnt be happier to lose it all. I like to think I contributed in a small way.

Agree with most of that except the Bob Murphy thing

Premierships are won with more than 22 players, I'm not sure rewarding the players who also played throughout that season would be turning it into an u/10 participation award, I think if anything the current set up of giving it only to 22 who play rewards mediocrity when it separates players who may be playing their second game of the year in the gf to an injured bloke who may have played 15 games that year

Where do you draw the line, why doesnt Suckling Jong and Wallis get one? Far more deserving than Murphy who played 4 games. Why stop there, lets give Chris Grant, Brad Johnson and Doug Hawkins one too

Yep I agree with Days here.
Only the players on the day deserve the medal.
Shit there is hard luck stories every year........That's life!

Being a good bloke shouldn't give you the right to be 'GIVEN' a premiership medal IMO.

Give it a rest you sooks. It was Beveridge's medal and he can do with it what he wants. If he wants to give it to Bob Murphy then that's his decision.
Power From Port

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby TEX07 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:03 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:First of all let me say Sydneys mids Kennedy aside are flat track bullies, thats a flogging in 14 and 16 now. Struggling to justify the salary cap they take. The recruiting of Franklin has been an out and out failure, 3 years no flags, reportedly just moving into the biggest pay packet of his contract which will see Mitchell become a Hawk. How awesome 2 flags, no Buddy and now we get one of your best mids, lol lol lol. Sydney cant win a flag with the current list, ive never been surer of that, the list will get pulled apart more and more for the last 6 years of Lances contract, lol lol lol
Congrats to the Dogs, took full advantage of the system presented to them. Lets not get too carried away, only way they survive 1st week of the finals is because of the bye. Its a disgrace and Gillon should be sacked over it, absolutely no advantage to the teams that bust their guts to finish top 4. Huge asterisk *****
Fantastic coaching effort from Bevo, obviously has the players 120% playing for him....... but...... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese...... Bob Murphy isnt the 1st to miss a Grand Final through injury and wont be the last, **** he's not even the 1st captain to miss. Lets keep the day for the ones that earn it ffs or should we make it a participation medal like the U10s, why not just give a medal to everyone who played AFL this year. Murphy should be embarrassed to accept it and I hope Beveridge never gets another win, they arnt something to throw away willy nilly.
And lastly Sydney were carrying about $300 of my hard earned and i couldnt be happier to lose it all. I like to think I contributed in a small way.

Premierships are won with more than 22 players, I'm not sure rewarding the players who also played throughout that season would be turning it into an u/10 participation award, I think if anything the current set up of giving it only to 22 who play rewards mediocrity when it separates players who may be playing their second game of the year in the gf to an injured bloke who may have played 15 games that year

Where do you draw the line, why doesnt Suckling Jong and Wallis get one? Far more deserving than Murphy who played 4 games. Why stop there, lets give Chris Grant, Brad Johnson and Doug Hawkins one too

Do you think that its the actual medal thats important to the player or actually playing in the game?
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby gossipgirl » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:32 pm

How many sour sobs can one person suck on or perhaps sour grapes ..... Stick to knitting perhaps :oops:
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Ruben Carter » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:35 pm

TEX07 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
whufc wrote:

Do you think that its the actual medal thats important to the player or actually playing in the game?

Irrelevant. It was a brilliant gesture by the coach IMO. Even if Bob gives it back, it will be a fond memory for life for him.
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:36 pm

TEX07 wrote:
whufc wrote:

Was discussing this yesterday, I have no problem with the AFL awarding a medal to players who at least played in that season or are even on the lost for that matter. The only people I ever here who have issue with it is the supporters, if you asked any of the bulldogs squad yesterday that played if they were happy for their team mates to receive a medal (not on the day - but after) I would think that the majority would be more than happy.

As a Crows fan I remember the footage of Modra on the sidelines in the 97 flag and thinking back then he deserved a medal but knew he would never get one. I think its more of a show of Beverages character that he gave his to Murphy. Any coach in history could have done the same but all chose not to.

I'm the same I would have no issue if every player who played a game in that season was awarded a premiership medal.

Totally agree I think the Bulldogs players would have loved for Wallis, Jong to have got a medal and that the Bulldogs would consider them premiership players also

The premierships I have won obviously not at an elite level I consider all the players I played with that season premiership mates for life not just the 11 or 21 I played with in the GF, unfortunately I don't think the ones that missed out feel the same which is such a shame because we all know you don't win premierships with just the grand final team on the day

It's obviously not a big issue and everyone has different opinions but I would have no problem with it if it was to be changed

I would also direct the umpires to umpire every game like its a gf lol
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:10 pm

What Bevo did was a fantastic gesture and will go down in footy folklore!
I just don't think we need to change the current system where only the 22 players who played get a medal.

And no one is sooking.......... just expressing an opinion which may differ to yours!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby therisingblues » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:22 pm

amber_fluid wrote:What Bevo did was a fantastic gesture and will go down in footy folklore!
I just don't think we need to change the current system where only the 22 players who played get a medal.

And no one is sooking.......... just expressing an opinion which may differ to yours!

Yep, I agree with all that.
Medals issued only to those who played and the coach, they can then do what they like with them.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby nuggety goodness » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:52 pm

As a player that missed a winning grand final through injury i am an advocate for squads receiving medals... i played every game and got injured in the prelim so i missed the granny and therefore didnt get a medal when the boys saluted. It was a bit hollow then...

Its the AFL people, they aren't skimp for a few quid. To get an extra 12 medals to give to the rest of the list surely wouldnt be too hard...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:45 pm

I've sort of been on the opposite side of that ng and whufc.
Played a's all year, including 2nd semi, except for 3 or 4 b's about a third into the season. Dropped for gf (right call btw). Was presented a medal in front of everyone back at the club, but, while the club was trying to do a nice thing, it felt gratuitous and therefore meaningless.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:51 pm

amber_fluid wrote:What Bevo did was a fantastic gesture and will go down in footy folklore!

Who said you were sooking
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:54 pm

I'm similar to nuggety I had played every game all year and got dropped for the gf, which in hindsight was the right decision

The player who replaced me played his one and only a grade game for the season

I accepted not getting the medal and remained positive throughout the day but you could tell my teammates felt like I had missed out and the player who replaced me was so apologetic that I felt like it ruined his premiership experience. To this day teammates feel uncomfortable talking about the premiership when me and my replacement are around each other despite having no hard feelings to one another
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:05 pm

whufc wrote:

Power from port did!
Top of page 19
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:29 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:

Power from port did!
Top of page 19

Oh ok sorry, I think it's an interesting topic with different point of views
whufc
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:33 pm

whufc wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:

Power from port did!
Top of page 19

Oh ok sorry, I think it's an interesting topic with different point of views

Absolutely.
It's good to hear people's thoughts on it.
It'd be boring if we all thought the same
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:49 pm

Yeah imagine if we all thought like GG or Massive Wanker, you'd get a premiership medallion the day the Crows drafted you
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Corona Man » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Ok so Sydney 3 years in on Buddy now and what is it 4 on Tippett. Nothing to show for the invested coin. If they don't salute in the next 2 years, window closed.... You'd have to say it's a considerable under acheivment from that group. GWS loom large, throw in the resurgent Dogs, Geelong nor that far off either. Crows showing some promise as well. Pressure on Horse & co to deliver on investment...
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Ruben Carter » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:54 pm

whufc wrote:I'm similar to nuggety I had played every game all year and got dropped for the gf, which in hindsight was the right decision

I accepted not getting the medal and remained positive throughout the day but you could tell my teammates felt like I had missed out and the player who replaced me was so apologetic that I felt like it ruined his premiership experience. To this day teammates feel uncomfortable talking about the premiership when me and my replacement are around each other despite having no hard feelings to one another

This happened to me as well, not once, but three times - 2 because of injury and concussion, once just dropped. Back when I played there were no medals presented on the day. But I really didn't feel part of it & refused to be part of the official premiership photos because I didn't play in the GF. That is my greatest regret after all the years in football.
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Corona Man wrote:Ok so Sydney 3 years in on Buddy now and what is it 4 on Tippett. Nothing to show for the invested coin. If they don't salute in the next 2 years, window closed.... You'd have to say it's a considerable under acheivment from that group. GWS loom large, throw in the resurgent Dogs, Geelong nor that far off either. Crows showing some promise as well. Pressure on Horse & co to deliver on investment...

They can forget it now, window is shut, they wont be winning a flag with this list. There negative defensive style doesnt win flags, luckily for us that was only a blight on the competition for 05 and 06, They have tried to go back to that this year, they get 18 players in defensive 50 and make it hard to score
Since recruiting those 2 they have lost Mumford, Malceski and soon to be Mitchell through salary cap squeeze. ( I wont include Jetta) Here they are 2-3 years on and they are the 2 players they havnt been able to replace, a ruckman and a running creative half back.
Very poor list management. The years they had success it was all team, they didnt have the big names like their Lockett and Franklin era's.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby amber_fluid » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:47 pm

I'd be moving Hannebery on before Mitchell.
He's too slow as was shown on Saturday..... even before his injury.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Ruben Carter wrote:
whufc wrote:I'm similar to nuggety I had played every game all year and got dropped for the gf, which in hindsight was the right decision

This happened to me as well, not once, but three times - 2 because of injury and concussion, once just dropped. Back when I played there were no medals presented on the day. But I really didn't feel part of it & refused to be part of the official premiership photos because I didn't play in the GF. That is my greatest regret after all the years in football.

Yeah I didn't want to be in the photos or anything but my teammates simply wouldn't have the photos without me

In hindsight I'm glad I had them
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL