Salary Cap Investigations

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Salary Cap Investigations

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Interesting reading from the CFL:

Makes one wonder how many of the 25 are from our league....

From the Player Payment Investigation Committee

Regulation 31

As everyone is aware, the Community Football League (“CFL”) introduced the current ‘salary cap’ requirements under Regulation 31 of the SACFL Rules and Regulations at the end of 2015 and at the same time created an Investigation Committee to investigate allegations of breaches and report to the CFL Board regarding matters relating to Regulation 31.

A SANFL Integrity Officer was also employed and part of his duties is to assist the investigation committee.
This is a very serious attempt to tidy up what most thought was ‘out-of-control’ player payments.

Investigation Committee

The Committee has met several times to discuss issues relating to Regulation 31 and strategies surrounding the many and varied allegations that have been made pointing to some clubs breaching the Regulation.

Committee members have also randomly spoken to over 25 Clubs within a number of Leagues seeking feedback on the processes of Regulation 31, the impact it is having, any suggestions, and in some cases queried some aspects of their playing list and associated player payments.
This process was very beneficial from both a club and the investigation committee perspective.

Information so far

Firstly, it is obvious that the vast majority of clubs are doing the right thing and they are to be congratulated on their efforts to curtail spending on player payments and also now focus on other areas of the Club such as facilities and junior football.

But, judging by the many calls to CFL offices, information supplied from many sources, the committee members’ own observations, and sheer common sense, there are a number of clubs that are not doing the right thing. It would seem that some committee and management members of those clubs, along with players, are flouting the system in a number of ways.

Some of the allegations include:
• Players receiving ‘sign-on’ payments;
• Players receiving cash or other benefits over and above contracted payments either from their club or third parties;
• Relatives or close friends of players (male or female) receiving extra payments on the player’s behalf;
• Players playing for clubs last year and making financial demands on that club which are not met – they then transfer to another club and now allegedly receiving far less money;
• Players being paid as a coach but not having any significant input into coaching on match days or at training sessions etc… there will be a definition introduced to the Regulations around playing coaches;
• Players, or their close relatives, openly bragging about their breaches of Regulation 31 – mostly when at social occasions. This is a common occurrence.

Obviously, these breaches must be investigated and they will be, along with some other queries with other clubs both in a random and targeted fashion.

What happens next?

All grand finalists in all leagues will be subjected to some level of investigation – that is not expected to be overly invasive.
Clubs strongly suspected of contravening Regulation 31 will be subjected to a more rigorous level of inquiry, and that may include, amongst other processes:
• The investigation committee seeking specific information;
• Interviews of players and officials;
• Audits of books and records;
• Requiring Sworn Statutory Declarations from key management and committee members involved in player payments, as well as players involved in suspicious payments. Those declarations will be regarding the individual’s direct involvement in issues surrounding player payments and Regulation 31;
• Conducting an official enquiry.

Officials and players are reminded that should they be asked to provide sworn statutory declarations that serious criminal offences can be committed if they swear to the truth of the contents of the declaration and any of the contents are later found to be false.

Clubs should also be aware that players who co-operate with any investigation are not necessarily subjected to penalties in exchange for their co-operation.

Systemic and serious breaches of Regulation 31 will be severely penalised as per the regulations.

Offer of lighter penalties.

The Community Football League and Investigation Committee urge any club that believes it may have breached Regulation 31, intentionally or otherwise, to contact Sean Toohey (SANFL Integrity Officer) to discuss rectification of their situation and with much lesser penalties available.

Final Word

Investigations will take time and we ask everyone to be patient, investigations will become easier over time once information around transfers, previous payments and end year financials become available.

It is also important and we encourage everyone to continue to provide information to the investigation committee.

The CFL is committed to Regulation 31 as is evident by the significant investigation network that has been established which now includes a part time resource purely focused on player payments.

This Regulation was requested by Leagues as an important mechanism to ensure fairness, equality, improve a players experience in football and importantly slow down escalating player payments and the demands being placed on Football Clubs.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

Postby GWW » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:07 pm

Footy Chick wrote:This Regulation was requested by Leagues as an important mechanism to ensure fairness, equality, improve a players experience in football and importantly slow down escalating player payments and the demands being placed on Football Clubs.

How correct is it, that this was requested by leagues and not from higher above?
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:21 pm

I suspect the C9AFL is the cleanest League there is. I would be amazed if it's totally clean, but some of our neighboring leagues you would do well to find a compliant club.

Not going to out the two blokes, but I know for a fact that a HFL and BLG Club are just taking the piss with it all.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:28 pm

jo172 wrote:I suspect the C9AFL is the cleanest League there is. I would be amazed if it's totally clean, but some of our neighboring leagues you would do well to find a compliant club.

Not going to out the two blokes, but I know for a fact that a HFL and BLG Club are just taking the piss with it all.

Wouldn't be hard to work out who the BLG club would be...
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:29 pm

As an aside, to what extent does the CFL have to finger someone for the system to stand up?

If they can't enforce severe penalties on a few clubs this year one would suspect that this will adversely effect compliance by others.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:30 pm

heater31 wrote:
jo172 wrote:I suspect the C9AFL is the cleanest League there is. I would be amazed if it's totally clean, but some of our neighboring leagues you would do well to find a compliant club.

The one I'm certain of will not get caught up in the mandatory GF teams investigations (not suggesting that the Grand Finalists are necessarily clean)
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Fricky » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
• Players, or their close relatives, openly bragging about their breaches of Regulation 31 – mostly when at social occasions. This is a common occurrence.

I always thought that this was the main way that clubs would be found out.

mostly at social occasions = bragging when drunk
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:32 pm

Footy Chick wrote: Some of the allegations include:

• Players being paid as a coach but not having any significant input into coaching on match days or at training sessions etc… there will be a definition introduced to the Regulations around playing coaches.

Woof, woof ;) *allegedly*
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:48 pm

jo172 wrote:
heater31 wrote:

The one I'm certain of will not get caught up in the mandatory GF teams investigations (not suggesting that the Grand Finalists are necessarily clean)

I reckon there would only be 3 clubs in the BL&G that are compliant this year. The 3 on the bottom of the Ladder. Next year you can reduce that to 2 with the moves one of them are making
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:52 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Footy Chick wrote: Some of the allegations include:

• Players being paid as a coach but not having any significant input into coaching on match days or at training sessions etc… there will be a definition introduced to the Regulations around playing coaches.

Woof, woof ;) *allegedly*

Faaark me they didnt exactly hide it from anyone, you only had to go and listen at 1/4 or 3/4 time who was speaking. What is the point investigating now, it should be done in season and points stripped, dont let them win a flag and then take it off them 6 months later
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby vics01 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:27 pm

I wonder about the legality of the stat dec. before the courts? Let alone the overload in the courts what the time frame would be to get something so insignificant as local footy before a court.. Where will the money come from for the CFL to put a matter before the Court? If they win all good and well if they lose the cost will be massive.. Integrity officer really??
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:38 pm

vics01 wrote:I wonder about the legality of the stat dec. before the courts? Let alone the overload in the courts what the time frame would be to get something so insignificant as local footy before a court.. Where will the money come from for the CFL to put a matter before the Court? If they win all good and well if they lose the cost will be massive.. Integrity officer really??

Exactly, all smoke and mirrors, the jist of that email was self report or we'll catch you lol. Translation, if you dont self report we havnt got a hope in hell of proving anything
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:43 pm

Stat Decs??? Who is going to volunteer at clubs with these type of threats?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:Stat Decs??? Who is going to volunteer at clubs with these type of threats?

Who can make you sign a stat dec anyway? Im no law expert, but i wouldnt have thought anyone from an amateur footballing body like the CFL would be able to force it upon you
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby jo172 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:59 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Stat Decs??? Who is going to volunteer at clubs with these type of threats?

Who can make you sign a stat dec anyway? Im no law expert, but i wouldnt have thought anyone from an amateur footballing body like the CFL would be able to force it upon you

No reason why they can't make it a condition of a club's affiliation with the League (in theory)
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:16 pm

jo172 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

No reason why they can't make it a condition of a club's affiliation with the League (in theory)

Yeah i was thinking that but still when an individual is put on the spot he can still refuse I wouldve thought. If the CFL wanted to make an issue of it they would be left to run every club in the state as there would be no voluteers to request a stat dec from. maybe thats what they want
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:38 am

The CFL is committed to Regulation 31 as is evident by the significant investigation network that has been established which now includes a part time resource purely focused on player payments.

Well well well , so now we have another snout in the trough . $-)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby vics01 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:07 am

So I decide to be one of the ten supporters who watch the Brighton Bombers each week and take a liking to the way Number ## plays and decide to slip him $200 each week.. Not being a member or official of the club how will the SACFL demand I sign anything or appear before them..
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby jo172 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:19 am

vics01 wrote:So I decide to be one of the ten supporters who watch the Brighton Bombers each week and take a liking to the way Number ## plays and decide to slip him $200 each week.. Not being a member or official of the club how will the SACFL demand I sign anything or appear before them..

They can demand the player does.

If the player is accepting money outside the cap he can be banned.

They can also refuse to affiliate Brighton if they become aware of this.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby shoe boy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:52 am

jo172 wrote:
vics01 wrote:So I decide to be one of the ten supporters who watch the Brighton Bombers each week and take a liking to the way Number ## plays and decide to slip him $200 each week.. Not being a member or official of the club how will the SACFL demand I sign anything or appear before them..

They can demand the player does.

If the player is accepting money outside the cap he can be banned.

They can also refuse to affiliate Brighton if they become aware of this.

jo172 is your first name MATT ? :-?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League