Salary Cap Investigations

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

Postby jo172 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:03 am

Who I am is unimportant.

The basic answer to the only foolproof method to getting around the Salary Cap is complete and utter discretion. Everyone aware of it (player and official) needs to keep their mouth completely zipped.

The reality is that local football officials and gun local footballers are notoriously indiscreet, and are far more typically chest beaters.

For what it's worth the main amendment I would make to the salary cap is dramatically reducing the amount of paperwork required for compliance.

Having to report that you gave $20 to the BOG in the D Grade any given week is a bit much in my view.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Ian » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:11 am

vics01 wrote:I wonder about the legality of the stat dec. before the courts? Let alone the overload in the courts what the time frame would be to get something so insignificant as local footy before a court.. Where will the money come from for the CFL to put a matter before the Court? If they win all good and well if they lose the cost will be massive.. Integrity officer really??

Extract from the South Australian Oaths Act - 1933

27—False declaration
(1) Any person who wilfully makes any declaration by virtue of this Part, knowing that declaration to be untrue in any material particular, shall be guilty of an offence, and shall be liable, upon conviction thereof, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding four years.
(2) In any proceedings under this Part in relation to an offence referred to in subsection (1) of this section where the court is satisfied that the defendant knew that he was required to declare his belief in the truth of the declaration referred to in that subsection it shall not be a defence that the declaration was not duly made or that the declaration was not in the form prescribed by section 25 of this Act.
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Dutchy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:30 am

shoe boy wrote:.

The CFL is committed to Regulation 31 as is evident by the significant investigation network that has been established which now includes a part time resource purely focused on player payments.

Well well well , so now we have another snout in the trough . $-)

This resource should be used to work with the clubs/leagues instead of taking out the big bat approach, not going to help anyone.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Bag & Sledge » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:28 pm

jo172 wrote:Who I am is unimportant.

The basic answer to the only foolproof method to getting around the Salary Cap is complete and utter discretion. Everyone aware of it (player and official) needs to keep their mouth completely zipped.

The reality is that local football officials and gun local footballers are notoriously indiscreet, and are far more typically chest beaters.

For what it's worth the main amendment I would make to the salary cap is dramatically reducing the amount of paperwork required for compliance.

Having to report that you gave $20 to the BOG in the D Grade any given week is a bit much in my view.

Football is in a funny state at present with the points/salary – If they were fair dinkum they should say it’s totally an amateur competition and therefore no salary issues.
The points when they drill down affects a lot of the country/lower divisions – I would get rid of the points and just do salary
But one day a cycle will start for someone else then what do we all do, change again?
The administrators should be looking at how to remove any costs for any person to participate in our great game – The answer is they want and just push back and not forward – SANFL for example should work with all bodies to ensure no costs i.e. Reduce League Back room costs by merging the support required.
Country clubs are losing valuable volunteers the more in depth the regulations and paperwork becomes.
Was it really that out of control in the first place to introduce the salary cap and points systems??
There should be a study on the declining attendances at Country Football matches, not being able to recruit too many quality players in a competition doesn't help this situation either!!
Currently Country Football is the only sport (that I'm aware of) where you are crucified for having your club in order and being successful.
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby morell » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:34 pm

Bag & Sledge wrote:Currently Country Football is the only sport (that I'm aware of) where you are crucified for having your club in order and being successful.
Hahhah please. The vast majority of professionally run sporting institutions around the world have salary caps in one form or another.

That's because they understand the mixture of greedy but average sportsmen, instant success oriented coaches/administrators and a free market often results in a rapid deterioration of the sport.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby shoe boy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:13 pm

morell wrote:
Bag & Sledge wrote:Currently Country Football is the only sport (that I'm aware of) where you are crucified for having your club in order and being successful.
Hahhah please. The vast majority of professionally run sporting institutions around the world have salary caps in one form or another.

That's because they understand the mixture of greedy but average sportsmen, instant success oriented coaches/administrators and a free market often results in a rapid deterioration of the sport.

That's correct , just like the EPL the IPL and UFC and could go on. (-|
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby morell » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:30 pm

The EPL have a form of a salary cap. Clubs in excess of 50 odd million pounds are limited to smaller increases than others.

IPL has a salary cap ($10m)

The UFC is as much of a professionally run sport as WWE. And I've loved the UFC since I used to hire them on VHS from the Movieland on Cross Road to watch Royce Gracie strangle ****.

But nah, the AFL, NBA, NHL, NFL ... they don't know what they're doing. Old mates Bag & Sledge and shoe boy from safooty.net know better

(-|
Last edited by morell on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morell
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:32 pm

Beat me to it (as usual)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... clubs.html

Unbelievable what some twats in the EPL can earn without having to undertake lessons on how to be a human
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Bag & Sledge » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:36 pm

morell wrote:The EPL have a form of a salary cap. Clubs in excess of 50 odd million pounds are limited to smaller increases than others.

IPL has a salary cap ($10m)

The UFC is as much of a professionally run sport as WWE. And I've loved the UFC since I used to hire them on VHS from the Movieland on Cross Road to watch Royce Gracie strangle ****.

But nah, the AFL, NBA, NHL, NFL ... they don't know what they're doing. Old mates Bag & Sledge and shoe boy from safooty.net know better

(-|

I'm confused? Are we comparing the AFL, NBA & EPL with SA Country Football now? Hilarious!
Any other sports at amateur level that you can provide an example of??
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby morell » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Argues against salary cap because it discourages professionalism.

Argues against salary cap because it's too professional.

Vic amateur footy has payments limit schemes. So do QLD/NSW Rugby League Comps.

But even if there wasn't other leagues/sports, it's a moot point as there would only be a need for a salary cap if there was a salary being paid, which is more often not the case at the "amateur" level for other sports.
morell
Coach

Postby BigB » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:18 am

Ian wrote:
vics01 wrote:I wonder about the legality of the stat dec. before the courts? Let alone the overload in the courts what the time frame would be to get something so insignificant as local footy before a court.. Where will the money come from for the CFL to put a matter before the Court? If they win all good and well if they lose the cost will be massive.. Integrity officer really??

Extract from the South Australian Oaths Act - 1933

27—False declaration
(1) Any person who wilfully makes any declaration by virtue of this Part, knowing that declaration to be untrue in any material particular, shall be guilty of an offence, and shall be liable, upon conviction thereof, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding four years.
(2) In any proceedings under this Part in relation to an offence referred to in subsection (1) of this section where the court is satisfied that the defendant knew that he was required to declare his belief in the truth of the declaration referred to in that subsection it shall not be a defence that the declaration was not duly made or that the declaration was not in the form prescribed by section 25 of this Act.

A statutory declaration is an instrument under the Oaths Act which is essentially the same as giving evidence in court under oath. Knowingly making a false statement under oath is perjury and contempt of court - you usually get a spell in the big house for doing it.

As for the salary cap.. Maybe make every A grade Player in sides which make finals sign a stat dec to attest to having abided by the rules. (Make re-registration and or clearance contingent on the provision of one re the previous year) . Audit the premier and a random second club who made finals in each division. Provide the players with assurance that they will be given an amnesty (given the fixation on the dollar maybe a reward would be even more effective :D ) if they cooperate with the league re salary cap breaches.

Also make it well known that any breaches will also result in a report to the Tax Office.

You'll never get 100% compliance but as long as the consequences are too risky, most will toe the line
BigB

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Ditchy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:43 pm

if country clubs or C9 AFL clubs are caught rorting the system then they should be banned from playing in any grade or comp
Ditchy

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:52 pm

Why would you ban clubs for that? Bit over the top.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Ditchy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:35 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Why would you ban clubs for that? Bit over the top.

Sends a strong message to the rest. It will only take 1 club to get banned and no others will flaunt the rules
Ditchy

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:09 am

Name 1 Australian club that has ever been kicked out of any competition for that? Way over the top.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby morell » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:02 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Name 1 Australian club that has ever been kicked out of any competition for that? Way over the top.
No one had ever been convicted of cyber crime in 1976 either.
morell
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:00 am

Todays Tiser "Matt Turner" Probe into salary cap breaches.

Quote from Matt Duldig "We THINK it has worked really well"
You have to be joking ,this witch hunt is a disgrace to all grass roots football clubs .

Matt and his now army of volunteers :roll: who continue to tell all we are saving ourselves from ourselves !!

Matt go back and TRY another way to prop up a very poor product in the SANFL!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:41 am

Whether its being kicked out or not, that's open for debate. But I certainly think the first penalty handed down to a clear and heavy breach of the TPPS will set an important precedent..

The hard part being a monetary fine wont really hamper the sort of clubs who will heavily rort the system as they are more than likely financially strong so a sponsor will just chi[p in and pay the fine and they move on.. It has to hit the club where it hurts them. It will be interesting to see what they hand down to the first club they find in breach that's for sure
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:08 am

shoe boy wrote:Todays Tiser "Matt Turner" Probe into salary cap breaches.

Quote from Matt Duldig "We THINK it has worked really well"
You have to be joking ,this witch hunt is a disgrace to all grass roots football clubs .

Matt and his now army of volunteers :roll: who continue to tell all we are saving ourselves from ourselves !!

Matt go back and TRY another way to prop up a very poor product in the SANFL!

I'm not sure how to interpret this. You don't think the salary cap has worked well, so you think clubs are breaching the rules. Yet you call it a witch hunt for investigating those suspected of breaking the rules? Are they supposed to ignore suspected breaches?
It's one thing to disagree with the rule but your club, and every other club, has agreed to abide by it.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby jo172 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:13 am

human_torpedo wrote:Whether its being kicked out or not, that's open for debate. But I certainly think the first penalty handed down to a clear and heavy breach of the TPPS will set an important precedent..

The hard part being a monetary fine wont really hamper the sort of clubs who will heavily rort the system as they are more than likely financially strong so a sponsor will just chi[p in and pay the fine and they move on.. It has to hit the club where it hurts them. It will be interesting to see what they hand down to the first club they find in breach that's for sure

WIthout being able to remember the direct penalties I would have thought for a first offence the penalties should involve:

- Suspension of Coaches/Officials implicated;
- Reduction in TPPS available to Club the following 3 years;
- Reduction in APPS available to Club the following 3 years.

Club should obviously be subjected to ongoing strict audits.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League