Adelaide Footy League D7 - 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Ch9AFL Division 7 - 2017

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Right, that was a fairly direct answer :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby morell » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:48 pm

Hahah yeah this was discussed a little while ago

I really like Mawson Lakes as a footy club but they've won 5 games, 4 games and 4 games in D6 in three consecutive years.

If Para Hills keep going the way they're going, and Mawson Lakes don't recruit a bunch of solid A Graders and/or lose a few, I would make the call to swap them.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:56 pm

I'm sure we'll hear a counter-argument very shortly :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby adr107 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:13 am

morell wrote:Hahah yeah this was discussed a little while ago

I really like Mawson Lakes as a footy club but they've won 5 games, 4 games and 4 games in D6 in three consecutive years.

If Para Hills keep going the way they're going, and Mawson Lakes don't recruit a bunch of solid A Graders and/or lose a few, I would make the call to swap them.

In tears. Of course you would make that call lol...
adr107
Under 16s

Has liked: 305 times
Been liked: 83 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:15 am

adr107 wrote:In tears. Of course you would make that call lol...

I think it's a pretty valid call.. I'm sure no one wants to see another lob-sided D7 if it can be avoided.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby adr107 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:51 am

Zartan wrote:

I think it's a pretty valid call.. I'm sure no one wants to see another lob-sided D7 if it can be avoided.

How stiff would Mawson Lakes be though. Yeah valid point that Paro Hills, the home of the greatest community club in all the land is potentially far too strong for D7, but despite the fact that Lakes have only won a few games the last few seasons, technically, they've done enough to survive...
adr107
Under 16s

Has liked: 305 times
Been liked: 83 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby twobob » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:07 am

Why should Mawson Lakes be punished for bad management decisions of Para Hills twelve months ago. Regardless of who the Roos have signed they should start at the bottom division and work their way through like all the other clubs have. If the likes of Buss and co want to play div 7 then thats their choice. The league didn't do it with other clubs in recent seasons when they seemed to be recruiting very heavily so why would they give Para Hills a free ride especially after the way they pulled out last season.
twobob
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby S Demon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:04 am

twobob wrote:Why should Mawson Lakes be punished for bad management decisions of Para Hills twelve months ago. Regardless of who the Roos have signed they should start at the bottom division and work their way through like all the other clubs have. If the likes of Buss and co want to play div 7 then thats their choice. The league didn't do it with other clubs in recent seasons when they seemed to be recruiting very heavily so why would they give Para Hills a free ride especially after the way they pulled out last season.

You mean all the other clubs like Brighton and Morphettville Park?
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby old farmer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:48 pm

Zartan wrote:

This from the grammer nazi himself. That would be lopsided. :lol: ;)
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts....
old farmer
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:52 pm

old farmer wrote:This from the grammer nazi himself. That would be lopsided. :lol: ;)

:oops: It's been a long, stressful week! Clearly i'm getting stupider :lol:

... p.s...

grammar*
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:24 pm

Zartan wrote:
old farmer wrote:This from the grammer nazi himself. That would be lopsided. :lol: ;)

:oops: It's been a long, stressful week! Clearly i'm getting stupider :lol:

... p.s...

grammar*

You lobbed one over, he volleyed and you smashed it down the line
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby twobob » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:48 pm

S Demon wrote:
twobob wrote:Why should Mawson Lakes be punished for bad management decisions of Para Hills twelve months ago. Regardless of who the Roos have signed they should start at the bottom division and work their way through like all the other clubs have. If the likes of Buss and co want to play div 7 then thats their choice. The league didn't do it with other clubs in recent seasons when they seemed to be recruiting very heavily so why would they give Para Hills a free ride especially after the way they pulled out last season.

You mean all the other clubs like Brighton and Morphettville Park?

No i mean all the the clubs that have shot themselves in the foot with poor management and have found themselves in this situation. Lets at least give these new a chance to stuff up.
twobob
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby Computer Crashed » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:31 pm

adr107 wrote:

Good luck to PH in Div 7.
Some good footballers returning but let's not forget what a few injuries will do to the list.
Stop sooking and get on with it rival clubs.
Maybe look after your own kitchen first.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby Half Back Flanker » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:58 am

Computer Crashed wrote:
adr107 wrote:

Some good footballers returning but let's not forget what a few injuries will do to the list.

Couldn't have said it better CC. You can only play the cards your dealt and it means all the clubs will have to step it up a bit and lift the level of div 7, which I believe is a good thing for footy.
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby morell » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:33 am

adr107 wrote:

If you follow that logic through - by being in "tears" and implying that I am putting forward this suggestion as some sort of Machiavellian plot to remove a strong team from D7 for Mitchell Park's benefit.

... then effectively you're agreeing with me.

However, it's a load of twaddle. As stated previously, I really don't think winning the D7 flag is Mitchell Park's modus operandi for 2017, we're trying to encourage a model of sustained longer term success with perhaps a couple of years in D7 with some youth. Para Hills or whoever dominating isn't really going to impact on what we want to achieve - of course it would be nice to win it again, and I wouldn't expect Knowlsey to use any of this in his pre game addresses, but from a strategic club perspective that's what we are aiming for. Plus we've had our fun in D7, its not like we've never been able to have some GF wins.

However, for teams like Flinders Uni, St Pauls, Central United, North Pines and to a lesser extent Adelaide Lutheran - they shouldn't have to try and fight it out with what was effectively a D4 team, especially when instead of taking their licks and suffering a season of floggings, Para Hills decided to shut up shop.

It's unfair on the existing D7 teams who've either battled to get out or have had a season or two of suffering more than it's unfair on us.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:42 am

Why is playing in a division which is best matched to your standard considered "punishment". As in, I understand the emotion involved, it's never pleasant, but it can often be the best thing for a club. As a sport and a league, we need to get away from this notion IMO.

And I quite simply fundamentally disagree with the notion of "make them work through the divisions like everyone else" logic that you've applied here and others tried to apply to Brighton and Morphy Parks. It's nonsensical.

You're not punishing teams or forcing them to work hard by starting them in lower divisions - you're rewarding them. If you want Para Hills and others to earn their stripes, play them in a division higher than they should and make them have to deal with the rigours and difficulties of a losing season. That way, you're testing the mental strength and loyalty of the players to see if they're truly club people, or just flag chasing mercenaries.

Using your logic will exacerbate the cycle of "flags or nothing" that we're seeing with an increasing number of clubs.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:46 am

Computer Crashed wrote:
adr107 wrote:

Ahhh yeah, the old "discussing football = sooking" trope. Always a winner!

To be clear, and for now the third time, where Para Hills plays does not really affect Mitchell Park or what we want to achieve. These discussions are based on a more strategic view of where the league is at and the patterns of clubs moments therein. Plus some empathy for some other clubs.
morell
Coach

Postby marbles » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:56 am

The masterful efforts to disguise that youre afraid to face a possible big fish that seems far bigger than anyone else in this div, is very articulate and makes for a good case referring to the para hills of 2015

However this is not para hills of 2015 this is a club who hasnt had a team for over 12 months let alone a saturday night party nor a football kicked on their field in a competitive nature in yonks

This is a club in intensive care right now. The saafl have them on a drip and for them to remain stable and find their feet again they need to be 'nursed' back gently to ensure their vital signs can grow to functional levels again. Once they are there, they can be released back into the wild and into the big smoke of div 6. The same way salisbury west has been restored after a tragic destruction to them

They must be put in the nursery division with the rest of the miniature clubs who too are on a drip or hanging alive on minimal resources

You express the div 7 flag is not entirely important then why would it be any different for the other clubs in the nursery. Survival and stability is what you really seek yea?

If PH were put in div 6 now its highly possible that players may not come back and the nursing of this frail club may fail

You faced a big fish in a GF 2 years ago. The outcome saw you conquer.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby morell » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:35 am

marbles wrote:The masterful efforts to disguise that youre afraid to face a possible big fish that seems far bigger than anyone else in this div, is very articulate and makes for a good case referring to the para hills of 2015
Haha, whatever, whether you believe my intentions or not is irrelevant.

marbles wrote:However this is not para hills of 2015 this is a club who hasnt had a team for over 12 months let alone a saturday night party nor a football kicked on their field in a competitive nature in yonks
It's not November yet and they have 50% of the team that won the D5 GF. Plus 2 more genuine D4 standard A Grade footballers. If they leave it at that and don't clear anymore, then they'll still be the team to beat but perhaps not a Smithfield type dominant force. Have to wait and see what other clearances come through - but they're already better than probably everyone in this div except for PAOC I'd suspect.

They've done a power of work over the last 12 months to prepare for this season and have a great junior setup to facilitate very quick growth.

and whilst I am on that - I have absolutely zero ill feelings towards Para Hills for anything that they're doing, they just trying to do the best they can and I applaud all the work they're doing. This is out of their control to a certain extent.

marbles wrote:This is a club in intensive care right now. The saafl have them on a drip and for them to remain stable and find their feet again they need to be 'nursed' back gently to ensure their vital signs can grow to functional levels again. Once they are there, they can be released back into the wild and into the big smoke of div 6. The same way salisbury west has been restored after a tragic destruction to them
Key difference between Salisbury West and Para Hills?

Salisbury West did the right thing and had a shit year in 2015 and didn't prevent any other D7 team from an opportunity for playing in D6 and/or tasting success. If they spent a year not existing and then did what did they this year, which is what Para Hills are seemingly doing, then yep, you'd be comparing apples to apples and I would've said the same thing about them.

marbles wrote:They must be put in the nursery division with the rest of the miniature clubs who too are on a drip or hanging alive on minimal resources
Hahaha pls.

marbles wrote:You express the div 7 flag is not entirely important then why would it be any different for the other clubs in the nursery. Survival and stability is what you really seek yea?
That's Mitchell Park's viewpoint - or perhaps, more accurately, my personal interpretation of Mitchell Park's viewpoint. I would suggest the other clubs would be different. Hence the purpose of my posts. Please at least try and comprehend what I am saying - this is about the existing 2016 D7 clubs, not Mitchell Park.

marbles wrote:If PH were put in div 6 now its highly possible that players may not come back and the nursing of this frail club may fail
Exactly. Which would mean they'd need to recruit and retain true, loyal club people to get through that, right? Shouldn't that be the outcome? By placing Para Hills in D7, they'd be attracting the exact type of player that I would have thought they don't want.

marbles wrote:You faced a big fish in a GF 2 years ago. The outcome saw you conquer.
Hahaha pls.
morell
Coach

Postby holdy2323 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:36 am

marbles wrote:The masterful efforts to disguise that youre afraid to face a possible big fish that seems far bigger than anyone else in this div, is very articulate and makes for a good case referring to the para hills of 2015

However this is not para hills of 2015 this is a club who hasnt had a team for over 12 months let alone a saturday night party nor a football kicked on their field in a competitive nature in yonks

This is a club in intensive care right now. The saafl have them on a drip and for them to remain stable and find their feet again they need to be 'nursed' back gently to ensure their vital signs can grow to functional levels again. Once they are there, they can be released back into the wild and into the big smoke of div 6. The same way salisbury west has been restored after a tragic destruction to them

They must be put in the nursery division with the rest of the miniature clubs who too are on a drip or hanging alive on minimal resources

You express the div 7 flag is not entirely important then why would it be any different for the other clubs in the nursery. Survival and stability is what you really seek yea?

If PH were put in div 6 now its highly possible that players may not come back and the nursing of this frail club may fail

You faced a big fish in a GF 2 years ago. The outcome saw you conquer.

From what I'm hearing phfc could possibly have 3 sides next year. They have 70 blokes signed already.
holdy2323
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League