Port Adelaide 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Postby therisingblues » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:46 am

It all depends on how much the Chinese people embrace it.
I do hope Port Adelaide are searching for football literate people with enough knowledge of China and the Chinese language, to assist with the introduction of Aussie Rules on the day of the actual game and the weeks leading up to it.
Such individuals would need sufficient remuneration for spending the time over there, but with so many failures to export Aussie Rules to other markets, it'd be wrong to overlook any strategy that could potentially facilitate the Chinese people embracing our game.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:54 am

stan wrote:
Dutchy wrote:KT confirmed the China takes over the NT $$$ and efforts.

Interesting thing he said, was they are still trying to make it cost neutral, so they are still losing money with just blue sky hope that it makes them a $ one day.

Isnt that how most investments start out?

Fair to say the Chinese market has potential for growth.

Smart businesses know where the $ are going to come from before they make the investment, sounds like this one is a having a massive swing at something but not sure if anything will actually hit.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:17 am

Dutchy wrote:
stan wrote:

Interesting thing he said, was they are still trying to make it cost neutral, so they are still losing money with just blue sky hope that it makes them a $ one day.

Smart businesses know where the $ are going to come from before they make the investment, sounds like this one is a having a massive swing at something but not sure if anything will actually hit.

Come on mate, take the hate glasses off for just a moment and think about the near 2 years of work Port Adelaide did before they even involved the AFL. Koch led the charge, the full board met in China earlier this year that ratified the push for an official match for points and after that meeting it was full steam ahead.

You think the AFL would have commissioned turf to be grown in Melbourne ( it is growing now ) for shipping and laying in the stadium if the venture didn't have some solid foundations? You think the AFL would have entered the match into the fixture for next year if it didn't see the possibilities? You think the Suns would have "sold" a home game to get in on the action if it didn't see potential?

That's the AFL, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast and the Ausgold Mining Group all seeing it as a winner. But, it's Port Adelaide, so you'll view it how you view it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:03 pm

its sounds like it took a long time for the AFL to come on board with this, no doubt Port needed them to fund some of the investment to spread the risk.

Good on them for having a go, but there is no talk of confirmed additional revenue yet, just trying to make it cost neutral. You mentioned "possibilities" and "potential" which is all blue sky stuff, what if it doesn't work, what is the cost?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:15 pm

Dutchy wrote:its sounds like it took a long time for the AFL to come on board with this, no doubt Port needed them to fund some of the investment to spread the risk.

Good on them for having a go, but there is no talk of confirmed additional revenue yet, just trying to make it cost neutral. You mentioned "possibilities" and "potential" which is all blue sky stuff, what if it doesn't work, what is the cost?

I think you'll find the AFL didn't come on board until Port had a proposal they knew wouldn't get knocked back.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:17 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
stan wrote:

Come on mate, take the hate glasses off for just a moment and think about the near 2 years of work Port Adelaide did before they even involved the AFL. Koch led the charge, the full board met in China earlier this year that ratified the push for an official match for points and after that meeting it was full steam ahead.

You think the AFL would have commissioned turf to be grown in Melbourne ( it is growing now ) for shipping and laying in the stadium if the venture didn't have some solid foundations? You think the AFL would have entered the match into the fixture for next year if it didn't see the possibilities? You think the Suns would have "sold" a home game to get in on the action if it didn't see potential?

That's the AFL, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast and the Ausgold Mining Group all seeing it as a winner. But, it's Port Adelaide, so you'll view it how you view it.

Dutchy will take the I hate Port glasses off when you take Michaelengelo Rucci's retarded half brothers glasses off.

Port have stated "it isnt cost neutral yet".

This coupled with POrt Adelaides history of making big financial projections and then completely under delivering on them which costs SA football.

I think its fair to ask how is this venture going to be any different ??? What is PAFCs fallback position if the Investment fails ????

ILl be honest I thought the chinese venture was making PAFC $$$$ now.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby MW » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:17 pm

Good on Port for giving this a go and if it pays off, kudos!
But, Chinese love global brands...and AFL and/or Port Adelaide will never be a global brand as it is not a global sport (at an elite level)
I can't see it lasting more than a couple of years myself.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby MW » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:19 pm

If they come out of it no worse for wear, or better off financially, well worth the risk I might add
MW
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:25 pm

Well worth a crack. Even if it fails and costs Port over a short term, the benefits of this actually working could be decades long. They don't even need a lot of chinese to jump on board. 2% of the population of Shanghai alone would be nearly 50k. Risk vs reward.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:27 pm

MW wrote:If they come out of it no worse for wear, or better off financially, well worth the risk I might add

Yep, it's China, not tin rattling outside Alberton asking for $2.

The last Port game shown into China had 3,000,000 viewers on one network. Next years game will be broadcast on 3 different provincial networks.

The NBA get just on US $1bn for the TV rights to play the NBA on Chinese TV. $1bn US. If the AFL, through Port's connections and this match ( thus the AFL is on board ) can enter into a TV deal with China, even if it's only $100m, whatever it is, it's breaking ground in a country that has money to burn.

When KT talks of "potential" it's not the potential to get a new set of guernseys for free, it's millions, perhaps hundreds of millions for the sport, not just Port. THAT's why the AFL are in.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:30 pm

I tell you one thing, if it is successful, watch for Collingwood to take it over and Eddie to get involved.
MW
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:53 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
therisingblues wrote:
Jim05 wrote:I'm happy for it to become a annual event as long as Port give up a home game for it.

It would be an interesting twist if the AFL scheduled them to play the Suns each year. The crowd would likely identify with the red and yellow better than the teal. With it being a Suns' home game, I wonder what benefits that actually entails? Do they get to promote it, decorate the stadium in their colours, hang their name everywhere? Surely the Power would not hand such advantages over to a team wearing the Chinese colours after Port made all the running in making this game happen?

I see it the other way. The Sun could be seen as Japanese, as in the Rising sun. They even re-engineered a building design in Shanghai because it had a circular motif in it. The design was modified so the 'space' in the building was rectangular in shape. These blokes haven't forgotten the Japanese rampage in their country back in the thirties.

regards,

REB

Therisingsuns? That'll pack it out.
Though if we are only going with people who actually remember the 1936/37 invasion we will need facilities to cope with an influx of 50,000 citizens aged 80 or over. I think the power might be aiming for a younger crowd.

They remember that shit like we remember ANZAC day. Over 250 thousand people were murdered in the rape of Nanjing alone. Unlike the Japanese system, the history is taught.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby stan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Oh good UK fan is here, how many will be at the game?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby carey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:57 pm

stan wrote:Oh good UK fan is here, how many will be at the game?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

It's all about crowd numbers with the idiot.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:02 pm

What wong?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby stan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:20 pm

UK Fan wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
stan wrote:[quote="Dutchy"]KT confirmed the China takes over the NT $$$ and efforts.

Dutchy will take the I hate Port glasses off when you take Michaelengelo Rucci's retarded half brothers glasses off.

Port have stated "it isnt cost neutral yet".

This coupled with POrt Adelaides history of making big financial projections and then completely under delivering on them which costs SA football.

I think its fair to ask how is this venture going to be any different ??? What is PAFCs fallback position if the Investment fails ????

ILl be honest I thought the chinese venture was making PAFC $$$$ now.[/quote]
Personal attacks are extremely poor. It takes away from the point you are trying to raise.

Booney has as always answered questions, trolls and attacks in a calm manner. You attack towards him is rather poor and reflects poorly on yourself and the position you are trying to make.
stan
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:02 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
They remember that shit like we remember ANZAC day. Over 250 thousand people were murdered in the rape of Nanjing alone. Unlike the Japanese system, the history is taught.

regards,

REB

What I was alluding to is that happened in the time of their great-grandparents. The islands to the east of China have been the world's most peaceful for over 70 years.
The history is taught in both countries, but the level of detail is different.
The country that commits the atrocity usually doesn't like to harp on about it.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby UK Fan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:01 am

Cam O'Shea delisted.

If A Very well balance argument is when you label anyone who questions Port Adelaide a port Adelaide hater.

Than labelling anyone who mindlessly defends PAFC as a half witted Rucci shouldn't unbalance anything.
If that offends you Stan well ICGAF really.

Every PAFC fan I spoke to today was of the opinion the China deal was making PAFC millions now and we're very surprised when informed it wasn't making them anything.

Anyway Let the balanced debating continue.
Last edited by UK Fan on Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby stan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:07 am

UK Fan wrote:Cam O'Shea delisted.

If A Very well balance argument is when you label anyone who questions Port Adelaide a port Adelaide hater.

Than labelling anyone who mindlessly defends PAFC as a half witted Rucci shouldn't unbalance anything.

If that offends you Stan ICGAF.

Let the balanced debating continue.

Doesnt offend me I just dont think the personal attacks on Booney are required.

Whislt I couldn't give F*** about Port I have no beef with Booney and dont see how he warrents your attacks. Whislt Booney defends his team he doesnt do so in a way that I would label him a Rucci or even part.
stan
Coach

Postby Ruben Carter » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:37 am

stan wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Cam O'Shea delisted.

If that offends you Stan ICGAF.

Let the balanced debating continue.

Doesnt offend me I just dont think the personal attacks on Booney are required.

Whislt I couldn't give F*** about Port I have no beef with Booney and dont see how he warrents your attacks. Whislt Booney defends his team he doesnt do so in a way that I would label him a Rucci or even part.

Well put Stan. Booney doesn't need anyone to defend him _ he's what this forum is all about. As for the other clown, haters gonna hate. Who cares?
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL