Poms V Bangers

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Poms V Bangers

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:40 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Gary Ballance amongst the runs again I see..... Why the hell do they keep picking that bloke? Does he make a good cordial or something?

He adds much needed Ballance to the team.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Grahaml » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:56 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
heater31 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Gary Ballance amongst the runs again I see..... Why the hell do they keep picking that bloke? Does he make a good cordial or something?

If he was good a mixing cordial no need to pick him in the XI.....12th man can handle that task.

Would like to think he played his last test for a while. His dismissal yesterday was awful.

When you've got Ali at 5 and Stokes at 6 it's clear there's not much batting depth. Ballance wouldn't even be first out if I was picking that team.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:32 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
heater31 wrote:

If he was good a mixing cordial no need to pick him in the XI.....12th man can handle that task.

Would like to think he played his last test for a while. His dismissal yesterday was awful.

Can't bat. Starts so deep in his crease when he comes forward he's only on the crease. Amazing how someone can do well enough to earn a test cap batting that way.

regards,

REB

Yes, awful technique and is awful to watch. Troubled by the quicks of Australia and New Zealand and now by the spinners of Bangladesh. Surely there is a better batsman in county cricket than him?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10292 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby batmanbegins » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:23 pm

Grahaml wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
heater31 wrote:

When you've got Ali at 5 and Stokes at 6 it's clear there's not much batting depth. Ballance wouldn't even be first out if I was picking that team.

Who would you drop before ballance? Personally i think bairstow should be at 5 as he has been our best player in the past year. Stokes is our most important player and was our best player this series and Mooen was our second best player, plus hes our best spinner which is a huge issue cos hes not that good.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

He adds much needed Ballance to the team.

Needs more love
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:35 pm

bennymacca wrote:giving the away team the choice will mean a couple of things.

pitches will be made so that the choice is unclear whether to bat or bowl first
series will be much more even instead of going to the home team the vast majority of the time

Or India will just produce Day 6 wickets on day 1 making it irrelevant who bats first.

But agreed in the rest of the world its a great concept
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:12 am

daysofourlives wrote:

series will be much more even instead of going to the home team the vast majority of the time

Or India will just produce Day 6 wickets on day 1 making it irrelevant who bats first.

yeah thats a fair point too
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Grahaml » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:26 am

bennymacca wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

And have 2 day test matches? I bet the BCCI and all those associated would love to lose all that cricket and therefore money from regular short matches.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Grahaml wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

And have 2 day test matches? I bet the BCCI and all those associated would love to lose all that cricket and therefore money from regular short matches.

Why would it be 2 day test matches?The Indians could bat for 2 days minimum on their own pitches against most countries
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Grahaml » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:37 pm

batmanbegins wrote:Who would you drop before ballance? Personally i think bairstow should be at 5 as he has been our best player in the past year. Stokes is our most important player and was our best player this series and Mooen was our second best player, plus hes our best spinner which is a huge issue cos hes not that good.

For a start, combined Stokes and Ali aren't as important as Root. Then it's your pick of a fit Anderson and Broad.

Ali averages 34 with the bat and 40 with the ball over. If there's a batsman outside the side who can bat top 6, he takes Ali's spot. If Ali's bowling is that important then he takes Rashid's spot. Stokes should also not be batting 6. He's a Mitch Marsh clone. Not good enough with the bat and I think in time his bowling will be less useful. The one saving grace is the fact Bairstow can bat. Which means he should be batting 5 in that side and 6 if Stokes is playing.

England seem to be going back to that 1990s plan of playing as many all rounders as they can. It didn't work then and won't now because all rounders don't keep the pressure on with the ball and don't fight back with the bat well enough.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Stokes a Mitch Marsh clone? No way he's become an important part of their team. As BB said he was England's best player in this series. Done well with both bat and ball. Very handy cricketer IMO, built a pretty solid career thus far.

With Rashid now in the side that puts pressure on Ali to perform and I think Ali will play less and less if Rashid performs. Ali would of only played in this series as England needed a second spinner. He's not a number 5 either.

England's real problem looks to be finding some decent batsman to help out Cook and Root and the top of the order.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10292 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Grahaml » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:38 am

Both Marsh and Stokes are batting 6 when they aren't good enough to own it as a batsman and are just playing because it's handy to have an extra bowling option. I stand by my point that Stokes can't keep that position if England are going to have long term success.

And yes, as you say England lack batting. Hence why Ballance is in no real danger. The bloke actually averages nearly 40 in tests and 47 in first class cricket. You wouldn't be dropping him and keeping the all rounders at 5 and 6.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby batmanbegins » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:05 pm

Grahaml wrote:Both Marsh and Stokes are batting 6 when they aren't good enough to own it as a batsman and are just playing because it's handy to have an extra bowling option. I stand by my point that Stokes can't keep that position if England are going to have long term success.

And yes, as you say England lack batting. Hence why Ballance is in no real danger. The bloke actually averages nearly 40 in tests and 47 in first class cricket. You wouldn't be dropping him and keeping the all rounders at 5 and 6.

If you have watched england over the past year you would know Stokes is their most important player. Forget his average which is much worse due to his first few years in test cricket. Since the New Zealand series 18 months ago he has been good with the bat and excellent with the ball. He is much better then Marsh with the bat, if you saw his 258 against SAF you would agree.

Ballance on the other hand dominated weak teams early on his career and average in the 50s over his first 15 tests. Since then he has been incredibly useless and should not be in the team. I agree Ali shouldn't be batting 5 (He doesnt in england) but he is one of our better players of spin so he bats up the order in the subcontinent.

Young Hameed or Butler will come in for the India tests for ballance and rightly so.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:55 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
Grahaml wrote:Both Marsh and Stokes are batting 6 when they aren't good enough to own it as a batsman and are just playing because it's handy to have an extra bowling option. I stand by my point that Stokes can't keep that position if England are going to have long term success.

If you have watched england over the past year you would know Stokes is their most important player. Forget his average which is much worse due to his first few years in test cricket. Since the New Zealand series 18 months ago he has been good with the bat and excellent with the ball. He is much better then Marsh with the bat, if you saw his 258 against SAF you would agree.

Ballance on the other hand dominated weak teams early on his career and average in the 50s over his first 15 tests. Since then he has been incredibly useless and should not be in the team. I agree Ali shouldn't be batting 5 (He doesnt in england) but he is one of our better players of spin so he bats up the order in the subcontinent.

Young Hameed or Butler will come in for the India tests for ballance and rightly so.

You're wrong Graham knows best ;)
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Grahaml » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Lol. 258 in one hit and 301 in his other 10 innings for the year. Remind me again how much his batting has improved. I also notice one of his 3 career test centuries happened in his first year. But yet I see you suggest his poor average is as a result of his start in test cricket. Funny thing is, his batting average from the first half of his career is HIGHER than the second half, even including that 258.

Ballance's best average comes against India. If you were paying attention, you'd notice they're the world #1 side. His worst average comes against Bangladesh. Again, referring to world rankings, the worst side he's ever played. Hardly "dominating" numbers against a poor side.

Any more fairy tales you want to try to tell us?
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby batmanbegins » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Grahaml wrote:Lol. 258 in one hit and 301 in his other 10 innings for the year. Remind me again how much his batting has improved. I also notice one of his 3 career test centuries happened in his first year. But yet I see you suggest his poor average is as a result of his start in test cricket. Funny thing is, his batting average from the first half of his career is HIGHER than the second half, even including that 258.

Ballance's best average comes against India. If you were paying attention, you'd notice they're the world #1 side. His worst average comes against Bangladesh. Again, referring to world rankings, the worst side he's ever played. Hardly "dominating" numbers against a poor side.

Any more fairy tales you want to try to tell us?

Fair point about stokes but he is far to talented to drop and worth persisting with as he is only mid 20s. He has played some crucial innings in winning us test matches and when he didn't play again pakis at home we really missed him.

As for ballance, I disagree wholeheartedly. As we know India outside of India aren't very strong bowling wise and he pummelled them in England, then made runs against the windies there but has hardly made a run since and averaged 30 in the domestic season this year. The issue is we lack batting depth but ballance should not be in the side anyway.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket