Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:40 pm

Largs Pier Hotel, we went there for dinner as a family for Mum's birthday on Monday night.

Knowing the do pretty good pizza's there I went with a Mediterranean Chicken pizza. I wasn't disappointed, it was very nice. The Moroccan Chicken pizza I had from the Gully is the best pizza I've ever had, so if that's a 10/10 I would give my Mediterranean Chicken pizza an 8. Got some Garlic bread to go with it and would give that an 7.5.

My sister and brother's girlfriend had chicken schnitzels (standard and boring), mum had Fish and Chips, sisters best mate had the Chef's Signature Pasta (that looked really good) and my brother had a Salty Pig pizza (also looked the goods). All very decent serving sizes and everyone was very happy with their meals.

The pier has always had pretty decent food that you can't go wrong with and they don't skimp on the serving sizes.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby JK » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:07 am

The Cheeky Greek at Grange (opposite the pub on Seaview Rd). Yiros' are different from the usual Ozzie version, but freakin awesome. Owners are a ripping family too, if you're in the area I highly recommend giving them a go.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby HH3 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Under recommendation from Spargo, we ventured in to the Star of the West in Port Fairy tonight.

Only three other small groups in a huge dining room made it feel a bit flat, but i got the closest chair to the fireplace, so it turned out to be a good thing.

The menu was pretty much standard pub food. Schnitzels only came in chicken flavour, which we found odd.

The mushroom gravy was a bit different to what im used to. A lot darker and richer. Not like the buttery stuff we get at home.

$19 a schnitzel, $7 Bundy (no spiced rums) and a water, came to $45, which is $15 more than i can pay in Adelaide. Being on holiday, I didn't mind throwing a bit of cash around though. ;)

The salad bar was stocked with all the normals. Nothing special, but nothing missing.

All in all, it was a standard pub meal in a standard pub.

Can't fault them for anything. Maybe the review wouldve been better if Id tried something special, but I needed a schnitty in me.

8/10

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:13 pm

8/10 for that review, must've been a good schnitty
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

Postby HH3 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:17 am

Wasnt bad. Service was good. Just a standard pub.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Establishment 1858/The White House in Hahndorf.
Medium-sized gourmet burgers for $12-14. Greek Oregano salt on the fries, $3 with burger or $5 bowl. Only half a dozen options on the menu, which they do properly.
Been there for lunch a couple of times. 9.5/10.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby am Bays » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:55 am

The Ed Mitcham

Went back on Fri nite after a poor experience there a few years earlier.

No better really

Staff were very good early all over us three different people wanting to check if were ready to make drinks/food orders (no body has a designated section??)

Food seemed to take longer than normal to come for four schnitties (3 chicken 1 beef)

There was a delay in the missus coming out as they put normal gravy on it (she wanted pepper).

Her new one came out five min after mine but was for a beef schnitty was tougher than bird pooh on a car roof in a February heat wave.

Kids and mine were OK but nothing spectacular junior miss am bays thought her gravy tasted a bit funny

Four schnitties, two wines, four softies and 1 beer with Ent voucher came to $90.

All in all 5/10 with a bonus point for chips being to the side of the schnitties

We'll wait another five years before we go back
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Q. » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Went for dinner at Bar Torino on Saturday night. Was packed and didn't have a reservation and was about to leave but a waitress found a sweet little table for two just in time.

Shared a cutla dishes. Lamb and haloumi skewers....super tender, and the yoghurt sauce was amazing, a solid 8/10, but fairly standard kinda dish. Went for the special as well...slow cooked duck leg with chimmi churri sauce and corn salsa, which was a legitimate 10/10 dish, absolute flavour country. Washed em down with a local Pinot Noir.

Highly recommend. Probs a great place for a drink and some tapas if you're wandering down Hutt St during the arvo.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby JK » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:27 am

Ellenika's at the Glenelg Pier.

Was recommended by a friend (with a Greek hubby) so the missus and I checked it out for our date night. Food was beautiful, atmosphere good and service excellent. We shared an Appetiser, 2 x Entree's and 1 x Main, and couldn't quite finish it all. Missus had a coupla wines, I stuck to the mineral water. With the entertainment voucher came to about $82, so imho was really well priced and the lamb was as good as I've had.

8.0/10

Not a restaurant as such, but finally got around to trying Roll On Bower yesterday .. Had been hanging to try a pup from this place for ages, but went the Pad Thai instead whilst the better half went the Laksa. Mine was a good as any I've had before and the missus raved about the Laksa. I know most Western Suburbs folk are already aware of the place, but if you haven't tried it, I'd highly recommend.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:37 am

JK wrote:Ellenika's at the Glenelg Pier.

Was recommended by a friend (with a Greek hubby) so the missus and I checked it out for our date night. Food was beautiful, atmosphere good and service excellent. We shared an Appetiser, 2 x Entree's and 1 x Main, and couldn't quite finish it all. Missus had a coupla wines, I stuck to the mineral water. With the entertainment voucher came to about $82, so imho was really well priced and the lamb was as good as I've had.

8.0/10

Not a restaurant as such, but finally got around to trying Roll On Bower yesterday .. Had been hanging to try a pup from this place for ages, but went the Pad Thai instead whilst the better half went the Laksa. Mine was a good as any I've had before and the missus raved about the Laksa. I know most Western Suburbs folk are already aware of the place, but if you haven't tried it, I'd highly recommend.

Was the red head behind the counter? Saturday, hot out, shorts. Top notch.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby JK » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:56 am

Booney wrote:

8.0/10

Was the red head behind the counter? Saturday, hot out, shorts. Top notch.

Nup .. I had a good scour of the place because I'd heard there was some visual splendor, but alas, no dice :(
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:03 am

The Espy Brighton last Fri for lunch

ALM pub so you go in with low expectations

Ate in the bistro section we both ordered the trio of seafood dish (battered fish, salt and pepper squaid and prawn skewer, chips and salad)

Cardonay for her my usual for me (PINT)

Fish was OK, prawns were good, the salt and pepper squid wouldn't have looked out of place in Beaurepaires (I dropped a piece on the floor and it came back up and landed on the plate....)

Two mains two drinks came to $70, Ent voucher applied twice (see thing I rate thread) bill came down to $35

6/10 with a bonus point for each time the Ent voucher was applied....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Pag » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Finally had my first 127 Days experience last week. Wowee.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:49 pm

Pag wrote:Finally had my first 127 Days experience last week. Wowee.

So you've just come out of your food coma? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:14 pm

Booney wrote:

So you've just come out of your food coma? [emoji38]

What did you have Pag?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Pag » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:51 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Booney wrote:

What did you have Pag?

The Donald Trump Speakeasy was on that day, so went that. Double beef, double American cheese, a hash brown, bacon, fried onions, pickles ketchup and American mustard. Was huge, might just go the regular burger next time as I felt sick on the way home, maybe with a shake as had a soft drink this time. Burger was just too good to put down and leave though. Loved the seasoning on the hashtag fries too.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:34 pm

Pag wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Booney wrote:

What did you have Pag?

The Donald Trump Speakeasy was on that day, so went that. Double beef, double American cheese, a hash brown, bacon, fried onions, pickles ketchup and American mustard. Was huge, might just go the regular burger next time as I felt sick on the way home, maybe with a shake as had a soft drink this time. Burger was just too good to put down and leave though. Loved the seasoning on the hashtag fries too.

Very nice, I saw the photo of that, sounds/looked like an epic feed!! Seeing the photos of the daily Speakeasy is a constant reminder that I have to go back there!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:45 pm

8.0/10

Good timing I need a venue for the Mrs birthday this week!
This sounds like a winner.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:20 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

8.0/10

Good timing I need a venue for the Mrs birthday this week!
This sounds like a winner.

Was there for lunch today
Trio of dips for entree
Yiros plate
Lamb skewers
Paley and a coke with voucher down to $50ish

8.5/10

Absolutely devine.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Magellan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:00 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Was there for lunch today
Trio of dips for entree
Yiros plate
Lamb skewers
Paley and a coke with voucher down to $50ish

8.5/10

Absolutely devine.

Either the proprietor is a former Geelong coach, or you should've come out with a house and land package. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion