US

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: US

Postby stan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:30 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Hilarious listening to CNN sooking.
It's all over now

Whereas Trump said he wasn't going to accept the result if he didn't win, the election would've been rigged, he'd impeach the president, and encouraged people to rise up in such a case.
If it's sore losers that tickles your funny bone, you'd have wet yourself if Trump lost.

Very true.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Another election is quite possibly on the cards very soon. He faces a number of legal cases over the next month over his fraudulent business dealings, in particular Trump University and Trump's 'foundation'. The odds are he will be in jail before inauguration.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/d ... ity-231082

Almost unbelievable, but Trump has been involved in over 3,500 legal cases; about half of them as a defendant!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /84995854/

Bob Day must be feeling pretty shirty just about now!!!

The 'successful' businessman has also had to file for bankruptcy four times!!
Can only happen in America!!!! :( :roll:
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:01 am

bulldogproud wrote:Another election is quite possibly on the cards very soon. He faces a number of legal cases over the next month over his fraudulent business dealings, in particular Trump University and Trump's 'foundation'. The odds are he will be in jail before inauguration.

Almost unbelievable, but Trump has been involved in over 3,500 legal cases; about half of them as a defendant!!

From what I could tell in the first link, Trump's subject to civil proceedings and not criminal ones, so he's not going to jail if he's found to be in the wrong (bugger!). That said, I'm sure he'd rather go to jail than admit defeat and pay damages to those he's ****** over.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:45 am

People need to show the Don some love
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11837 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby GWW » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:36 am

Sarah Palin in the mix for a Cabinet position, although probably not Foreign Affairs.

In the unlikely event Shorten wins our next election, it will be interesting how he deals with Trump, given his comments about the Don.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:42 am

GWW wrote:Sarah Palin in the mix for a Cabinet position

Cabinet, cupboard, closet, desk of drawers...as long as she's inside and someone closes the door behind her I'm all for it. She's probably not interested in the China hutch, though.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:26 am

Magellan wrote:
GWW wrote:Sarah Palin in the mix for a Cabinet position

Cabinet, cupboard, closet, desk of drawers...as long as she's inside and someone closes the door behind her I'm all for it. She's probably not interested in the China hutch, though.

Just have her making coffees and keep her away from any communications equipment and it should be okay.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:51 am

Magellan wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Another election is quite possibly on the cards very soon. He faces a number of legal cases over the next month over his fraudulent business dealings, in particular Trump University and Trump's 'foundation'. The odds are he will be in jail before inauguration.

From what I could tell in the first link, Trump's subject to civil proceedings and not criminal ones, so he's not going to jail if he's found to be in the wrong (bugger!). That said, I'm sure he'd rather go to jail than admit defeat and pay damages to those he's ****** over.

The word going around is that if the civil proceedings succeed, criminal ones will follow
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:54 am

Won't happen.
Much of Trump's life has been about making things 'go away'. His political life will be more of the same.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:56 am

How does someone get more votes and still lose an election?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:03 am

woodublieve12 wrote:How does someone get more votes and still lose an election?

Like the Libs here?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7484 times
Been liked: 10771 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:40 am

bulldogproud wrote:
Magellan wrote:

The word going around is that if the civil proceedings succeed, criminal ones will follow

On the same disputes? I'm not so sure about that, would like to know more about what's being discussed on that topic. Can you please post a link, bulldogproud?

At any rate it'll be ages before those claims and disputes are finalized, one way or the other.
Magellan
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:41 am

Booney wrote:

Like the Libs here?

YEah I guess. But how does that work?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:43 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Like the Libs here?

Same as it did here, we work on seats, they work on electoral votes. Same same but different.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7484 times
Been liked: 10771 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:45 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Like the Libs here?

https://www.archives.gov/federal-regist ... about.html
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Magellan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:30 am

Booney wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Like the Libs here?

Same as it did here, we work on seats, they work on electoral votes. Same same but different.

A good example is the infamous 'Playfordmander' electoral arrangement that effectively locked Labor out of power here in SA for decades until Dunstan's win in 1970. Labor often won the the majority of the vote, but a disproportionate overrepresentation for low-population country seats (which favoured the Liberal Country League) compared to high-populated city seats meant that the LCL kept holding power.
Magellan
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Magellan wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Magellan wrote:

On the same disputes? I'm not so sure about that, would like to know more about what's being discussed on that topic. Can you please post a link, bulldogproud?

At any rate it'll be ages before those claims and disputes are finalized, one way or the other.

Sorry, I could be mistakent on those ones. The criminal trial Trump may have to face up to is in Mexico, over one of his real estate deals:

http://thehill.com/latino/303691-trump- ... -in-mexico

His Trump University trial could be very interesting. It is being heard by the judge Trump called Mexican and insulted quite severely with various comments. That trial commences on November 28 - I have a feeling it will attract a fair bit of media interest!!
Trump is embroiled as a defendant, either personally or through his businesses, in some 75 legal cases at the moment!!!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Magellan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:32 am

I have theory about how the Trump presidency is going to unfold. I reckon there's a good chance he's not going to honour the inflammatory language and protectionist/nationalist policies that marked the election campaign. In fact, I'd say he's likely to turn out to be quite an ineffective and lame president that falls short what he said he'd do.

The realities of office are that he has to deal with two houses of congress, and the agenda he spruiked won't be as easy to implement with the mere stroke of a pen at the Oval Office. You might say that Trump can't afford to not implement his controversial policies, because it would piss off the masses of rust-belt disaffected middle Americans who adopted Trump as their idol and savior from a modern world they see as having left them behind. They've invested themselves, their personal hopes and dreams for a better future into his idea of making America great again. They made him, and they'll be baying for his blood if he doesn't honour his suite of promises to build the Mexican wall, kick out all the Muslims, nuke Syria, bring back jobs and impose tariffs etc. He would become another member of the political establishment, someone who promises everything but fell short, just like all the other members of the political elite.

I say Trump, unlike all other presidential candidates (and political candidates), doesn't care about what he's going to do as president. He only cares about being the president. Like all massively successful male white businessmen, it's all about the contest. Trump, Murdoch, Packer, or whoever else don't take over companies and build extravagant buildings because their family will starve if they don't. They don't need the money. For them, business is a sport. It's about winning, the thrill of the chase and getting the trophy. Once you've won the match, you can point to the trophy. You have bragging rights. I won, you lost. The presidency is another trophy for Trump to put in his cabinet and point to in case you don't think he's a really smart and super awesome guy. He doesn't want to exercise the power, because he doesn't know what to do with it, as evidenced by a campaign that focused on why you should vote for him (or no Hillary) as opposed to outlining a clear agenda for what he was going to do when he got there.

The same way that people invest money in Trump's businesses and schemes is no different to the emotional and philosophical investment that people have made in his message. Trump's no stranger in the business world to taking people's investments and burning them for his own benefit, and walking away from the mess whilst telling everyone how great he still is. Trump's legacy to date has not been about it's substance, its all about style (for want of a better word) and vanity. There's no reason to suggest this is going to change.

I can hear Trump in four year's time, having been defeated in a landslide election, answering to his angry rust-belt supporters. They'll say, "Trump, you were a shit president and a liar because you reneged on all your policies that were going to start a revolution. You're just like all the other politicians. We believed in you, and you took us for a ride, **** you." And Trump will reply with his trademark smug grin and shrugged shoulders, "Hey, guess what? I got to be the president, and you didn't. Thanks for getting me there, it was a real blast to be the most powerful man in the world."

Of course, if this pans out like this it won't address the core issues at the heart of democratic politics in the US and the exclusion of large numbers of the disaffected. In fact it'll probably exacerbate it, but that's the last thing on Trump's mind, safe in his ivory tower in Manhattan and satisfied with his most prized trophy.
Magellan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:57 am

Very good post

The worrying policies are the introduction of tariffs etc which could get over the line and severely affect the world economy
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics