US

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: US

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:44 am

bulldogproud wrote:
Zartan wrote:I'm thinking Trump will be fine as a President.. sometimes i think the media just love to beat up on people and paint a negative picture - i thought he would be a disaster at first, especially when you hear/see snippets of comments that the media chooses to play, but i sat and watched the debates in full yesterday and it's not that i like Trump so much as Hilary put me off.. reckon she's a fair snake in the grass..

Zartan, by chance would you happen to be a white anglo-saxon/European male, aged over 40, and not of a minority religion? In the debates, Trump did enough to infuriate anyone who belonged to any other group.

We have to be quick not to condemn US citizens too quickly though. Trump was voted for by less than 19% of the US population. Over 81% of Americans did not vote for him. This is why compulsory voting really needs to occur in all societies.
Cheers

55% of eligible voting citizens voted bp
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.cnn ... ent=safari
Compulsory voting is an infringement of people's rights in the land of the free. They have talked about it before and there was a massive backlash
Not every society is a nanny state like Australia
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby therisingblues » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Compulsory voting is an infringement of people's rights in the land of the free. They have talked about it before and there was a massive backlash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRfP_TEQ-g
Jimmy, you can hide just about anything behind the "right of the free".
Didn't they invade Iraq in the name of freedom?
Right to bear arms?
Wasn't there a backlash against Obamacare in the name of freedom against communism?
You'll need an argument with substance of some sort to convince me that compulsory voting is wrong, and I am assuming that you are saying it is wrong, because Australia is apparently a "Nanny state" for having it.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Psyber » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:27 pm

It is not compulsory voting anyway, just compulsory attending, getting you name ticked off, and doing whatever you like with the ballot paper.
I guess making that much effort tends to encourage most to go the step further and actually vote though...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:41 pm

therisingblues wrote:Compulsory voting is an infringement of people's rights in the land of the free. They have talked about it before and there was a massive backlash

Right to bear arms?
Wasn't there a backlash against Obamacare in the name of freedom against communism?
You'll need an argument with substance of some sort to convince me that compulsory voting is wrong, and I am assuming that you are saying it is wrong, because Australia is apparently a "Nanny state" for having it.

I forgot to put a winky face
Sorry to **** up your day
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Compulsory voting is an infringement of people's rights in the land of the free. They have talked about it before and there was a massive backlash

Right to bear arms?

I forgot to put a winky face
Sorry to **** up your day

I'll get over it.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:29 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Zartan wrote:I'm thinking Trump will be fine as a President.. sometimes i think the media just love to beat up on people and paint a negative picture - i thought he would be a disaster at first, especially when you hear/see snippets of comments that the media chooses to play, but i sat and watched the debates in full yesterday and it's not that i like Trump so much as Hilary put me off.. reckon she's a fair snake in the grass..

Zartan, by chance would you happen to be a white anglo-saxon/European male, aged over 40, and not of a minority religion? In the debates, Trump did enough to infuriate anyone who belonged to any other group.

We have to be quick not to condemn US citizens too quickly though. Trump was voted for by less than 19% of the US population. Over 81% of Americans did not vote for him. This is why compulsory voting really needs to occur in all societies.
Cheers

55% of eligible voting citizens voted bp
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.cnn ... ent=safari

Re the voting numbers, correct, Jimmy.
26.3% of eligible voters actually voted for Trump. As stated, this represents less than 19% of the total US population (yes, I know that I included those under voting age, so that I could make the figures look even more startling). However, it is a fact that 73.7% of eligible voters did not vote for Trump (over 81% of the total US population). Thanks for pretty much reinforcing my point, Jimmy.

I used to think that compulsory voting was, indeed, a strange thing to have in a democracy. However, when a president can be elected (in what is virtually a two-horse race) by 1/4 of the population, it is worrying, at least in my eyes. This is of course compounded by the fact that it is first-past-the-post voting, rather than preferential as we have in Australia. At least in Australia, we can be pretty confident that somewhere close to 50% or more have preferred the elected candidate above the unsuccessful ones.

This election saw the lowest turnout of voters in two decades. I believe that many of the Democrat 'team' became complacent when Hillary was always 6 to 12 points ahead in polling and did not put enough effort into securing the attendance of potential voters at the polling booth. When the latter query re 'email investigation' hit the headlines, it was too late to address this. Under compulsory voting, this would not have mattered. Unfortunately, under a non-compulsory system, it makes a huge difference, possibly costing this election.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby the milky bar kid » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:01 pm

bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers

A sweeping generalization, labeling someone that slightly disagreed with you with an insult, without checking the facts. I'm sure Zartan can speak for himself, but as someone who isn't as you labelled him & does plenty for his community, you should rightly be called out.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Bedge » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:12 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Zartan, by chance would you happen to be a white anglo-saxon/European male, aged over 40, and not of a minority religion? In the debates, Trump did enough to infuriate anyone who belonged to any other group.

A sweeping generalization, labeling someone that slightly disagreed with you with an insult, without checking the facts. I'm sure Zartan can speak for himself, but as someone who isn't as you labelled him & does plenty for his community, you should rightly be called out.

LOL, thanks MBK - I had a little giggle at the "profiling" :lol: , but thought I would just leave it anyway.

For the record - the only box i tick is the 'male' haha!! ;)

I just thought the answers he gave in the debate weren't as umm inciteful(?) as the media made it seem, and i also seemed to think that Hilary's answers just seemed to give me an impression of smugness and deceitfulness.

I could well be in the minority with my thoughts, but that's just my opinion. Guess time will tell anyway.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:45 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:

Cheers

:lol:
Why, you are nothing but a white Anglo-Saxon/European male, aged over 40, and not of a minority religion! I think Bulldogproud just insulted Zartan with MY PROFILE! :lol:
What sort of world are we living in?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:48 pm

therisingblues wrote:Why, you are nothing but a white Anglo-Saxon/European male, aged over 40, and not of a minority religion! I think Bulldogproud just insulted Zartan with MY PROFILE! :lol:

:lol: So does that mean actually it's you who has been insulted by me being described as you? :-? :-??

Hmm how would the PC Police view this haha!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:49 pm

And I'm offended on your behalf. That's the world we're living in.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:56 pm

Zartan wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Why, you are nothing but a white Anglo-Saxon/European male, aged over 40, and not of a minority religion! I think Bulldogproud just insulted Zartan with MY PROFILE! :lol:

:lol: So does that mean actually it's you who has been insulted by me being described as you? :-? :-??

Hmm how would the PC Police view this haha!

Dunno.
What do you look like? Is there anything you do that I don't want to be associated with?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Booney wrote:And I'm offended on your behalf. That's the world we're living in.

Actually, Kelly from Paralowie has just posted on twitter, that her 10 year old daughter is offended by my post.
@#nastyWASPman
therisingblues
Coach

Postby the milky bar kid » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:10 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Booney wrote:And I'm offended on your behalf. That's the world we're living in.

Actually, Kelly from Paralowie has just posted on twitter, that her 10 year old daughter is offended by my post.
@#nastyWASPman

Lol, the insult part was probably too far. :lol:
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby cracka » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:22 pm

bulldogproud wrote:Re the voting numbers, correct, Jimmy.
26.3% of eligible voters actually voted for Trump. As stated, this represents less than 19% of the total US population (yes, I know that I included those under voting age, so that I could make the figures look even more startling). However, it is a fact that 73.7% of eligible voters did not vote for Trump (over 81% of the total US population). Thanks for pretty much reinforcing my point, Jimmy.

Out of curiosity what were the numbers like for Bush snr, Clinton, George W & Obama.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:48 pm

Any chance Democrats didn't come out to vote was because Clinton was crap?
I'm no Trump fan, but I'm laughing at all of the people who don't want him as President and are blaming everything and anything EXCEPT Clinton was crap and people are sick of the crap these professional blood suckers bring to the table
As for Clinton and her imaginary glass ceiling: meet Mrs Thatcher and Merkel
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:06 am

bulldogproud wrote:I used to think that compulsory voting was, indeed, a strange thing to have in a democracy.

I believe compulsory voting (or compulsory attendance, as Psyber suggested) is necessary for the system to work right.

That said, I reckon if people don't want to participate in the democratic and political discussion by voting, then they can opt out, and opt out of paying tax too. But, if they do, they 100% go it alone. Those individuals don't deserve the benefits that members of the public receive as a consequence of resource and funding allocations that arise out of the democratic and political process. No access to public roads, public health, sanitation, or water, for example.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:33 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Any chance Democrats didn't come out to vote was because Clinton was crap?
I'm no Trump fan, but I'm laughing at all of the people who don't want him as President and are blaming everything and anything EXCEPT Clinton was crap and people are sick of the crap these professional blood suckers bring to the table

Couldn't bring yourself to say Gillard? ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Psyber » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:39 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Any chance Democrats didn't come out to vote was because Clinton was crap?

Or mention Theresa May - but then the latter two really got it by default and haven't stood the test of time and repeated elections...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:41 am

Psyber wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Or mention Theresa May - but then the latter two really got it by default and haven't stood the test of time and repeated elections...

When I saw Bill Bailey last week he spoke of Theresa May. He seems to think whenever she smiles another angel dies. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics