Australian International Summer

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:15 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:So what is actually the reason why Patterson isn't in the test side at the moment? I would've thought he'd be in front of Siddle.

You mean Pattinson???

Coming back from injury, played Grade Cricket for Dandenong on the weekend.
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/james-pa ... 2016-11-13
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:18 am

We're ranked #1 in tests........................in women's cricket.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:45 am

Zartan wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:So what is actually the reason why Patterson isn't in the test side at the moment? I would've thought he'd be in front of Siddle.

Pattinson (James) has just returned from injury - only played the one game.
Patterson (Kurtis) is the batsman everyone believes should be in the side.

Oh I didnt know there were 2 of them. I was referring to the bowler.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:50 pm

am Bays wrote:In reverse order this is the list of who is guaranteed to be picked next test (1st named, 1st out)

Voges - not part of the future, four tests without a run
Mennie - when your stock ball is under 130 you need the control and movement of a Philander at Test level, unfortunately you don't - you've got a baggy green though
Ferguson - wrong side of 30 Burns has the test runs that you - you've got a baggy green though
Burns - right side of 30 but you need runs son if you survive
Lyons - should play but mate you're on thin ice
Neville - can't miss stumpings like that, if Whiteman cashes in this week....
Khawaja - two 50s would be stiff to miss out

The rest are locks

Patterson for Voges
Bird for Mennie
Hanscombe for Ferguson - but would like to see Ferg get one more shot

Bancroft for Burns if the selectors want to make a statement

Bird over Sayers because he can play that third seamer role of tie them up, bowl in the channel hitting top of off, that all good Aust sides have had in the past: Reiffel, Clark, Walker, May (when we played 2&2 in the mid 90s), Siddle in 13-14. Allows Starc and Hazelwwod to be used in shorter attacking bursts. Sayers should get next crack if either Starc or Hazelwood get injured.

Rest should survive

All IMO

An interesting post. Especially the comment about Lyon. It's pretty hard being a slow bowler when you are getting knocked over for under a hundred on a regular basis. True, Nathan hasn't bowled well but I'd be interested in an analysis of the speed he has been bowling at this season. Most spinners bowl better when they use flight and slow their pace and seeing as Lyon isn't a big turner of the ball he is going to be bog ordinary when he tries to bowl darts, which is what I believe he has been doing all summer to date. Give the guy some runs to defend and then he might have the confidence to toss it up and slow down the pace of his deliveries.

I think you are underestimating Max Walker in this post a bit though. He was more than a bloke who held down an end.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:51 pm

Zartan wrote:Lehmann and Smith both said no one is safe (except the 4), and there would be changes.. out of curiosity - how many changes would people think is sufficient to see that they've taken action?

To me if it's one change only I don't think that'll be good enough, but then too many changes might be a bit over board :shock: :?

I'd be happy with one change. Voges out.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:58 pm

Booney wrote:

Pattinson only started bowling about 12 weeks ago after a long lay off IIRC.

Stress fractures in his back from February.

Looks like Tarzan but breaks down like Jane. Absolute Lemon. Bring on the Chad.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby am Bays » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:An interesting post. Especially the comment about Lyon. It's pretty hard being a slow bowler when you are getting knocked over for under a hundred on a regular basis. True, Nathan hasn't bowled well but I'd be interested in an analysis of the speed he has been bowling at this season. Most spinners bowl better when they use flight and slow their pace and seeing as Lyon isn't a big turner of the ball he is going to be bog ordinary when he tries to bowl darts, which is what I believe he has been doing all summer to date. Give the guy some runs to defend and then he might have the confidence to toss it up and slow down the pace of his deliveries.

I think you are underestimating Max Walker in this post a bit though. He was more than a bloke who held down an end.

regards,

REB

Always better to bowl when you have runs to defend and that is why I think Lyons is safe for now but now is not a good time not to be performing when the winds of change are blowing.

yes Maxy was more than just a tight dry them up in one end but the point I'm making is our attack is best balanced when that identified into the wind, bowl tight lines and build the pressure up role player is identified, which to Lillee and Thompson he was.

Daysie makes the point that Hazelwood can play that role too which is valid so Sayers could play but Hazelwood is also a genuine attacking weapon too on balance I'm suggesting Bird comes in over Sayers who possibly gets to mix the cordial :D

Our problem is, as you identified, were not giving our bowlers something to bowl at which is why I think there'll be two to four changes only.

Voges and Mennie goneski
Voges for Handscombe/Patterson
Mennie for Bird/Sayers

if the Selectors want to make a Statement to the batsmen then Ferg and Burns are out for Patterson/Handscombe and Bancroft
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby Sonofbrowny25 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:08 pm

Ferg deserves another crack... first game he slips over turning for a second run and then tries to get out the way of a ball that just didnt bounce.

voges has had enough chances and so has Burns i think.

i wouldnt take a spinner into Adelaide. take in Sayers to hoop it around and if you need spin then have smith bowl more! he was a bowler when he first came into the side. other option is have a batter (like a head, maxwell for example ) that can bowl a few overs if needed but are there to bat 6
Sonofbrowny25
Under 18s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:20 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Zartan wrote:Lehmann and Smith both said no one is safe (except the 4), and there would be changes.. out of curiosity - how many changes would people think is sufficient to see that they've taken action?

To me if it's one change only I don't think that'll be good enough, but then too many changes might be a bit over board :shock: :?

I'd be happy with one change. Voges out.

regards,

REB

Looks like you just got your wish - hes been struck in the head, Hughes style and carted off to hospital.

Hope he's okay....
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:28 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
RustyCage wrote:http://www.cricket.com.au/news/south-africa-faf-du-plessis-shine-polish-ball-lolly-australia-hobart-batting-collapse/2016-11-16

Dodgy! Probably something most countries do though

Yep, the ICC need to ban players sucking mints, chewing chewies or having saliva in their mouths. Furthermore, no one is allowed to wear sunscreen from now on either!

FFS....

You forgot to add........ only when Australia lose.
You never hear about it when they win.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2514 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:54 pm

Handscomb century for Vics, reckon he has sewn up his Baggy Green next week!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:29 pm

And so he should, would have been in my team for the Hobart test.

Gun!!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:14 am

am Bays wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:An interesting post. Especially the comment about Lyon. It's pretty hard being a slow bowler when you are getting knocked over for under a hundred on a regular basis. True, Nathan hasn't bowled well but I'd be interested in an analysis of the speed he has been bowling at this season. Most spinners bowl better when they use flight and slow their pace and seeing as Lyon isn't a big turner of the ball he is going to be bog ordinary when he tries to bowl darts, which is what I believe he has been doing all summer to date. Give the guy some runs to defend and then he might have the confidence to toss it up and slow down the pace of his deliveries.

regards,

REB

Always better to bowl when you have runs to defend and that is why I think Lyons is safe for now but now is not a good time not to be performing when the winds of change are blowing.

yes Maxy was more than just a tight dry them up in one end but the point I'm making is our attack is best balanced when that identified into the wind, bowl tight lines and build the pressure up role player is identified, which to Lillee and Thompson he was.

Daysie makes the point that Hazelwood can play that role too which is valid so Sayers could play but Hazelwood is also a genuine attacking weapon too on balance I'm suggesting Bird comes in over Sayers who possibly gets to mix the cordial :D

Our problem is, as you identified, were not giving our bowlers something to bowl at which is why I think there'll be two to four changes only.

Voges and Mennie goneski
Voges for Handscombe/Patterson
Mennie for Bird/Sayers

if the Selectors want to make a Statement to the batsmen then Ferg and Burns are out for Patterson/Handscombe and Bancroft

Forget the runs on the board, his job is to take wickets. Toss it up, challenge the batsman and if he gets 4/130 it's better than getting 0/90.

I think he's bowling too quickly with too much over spin and doesn't do enough with the ball in the air. His desire to come around the wicket as often as he does is odd and I think his spot is under pressure.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:19 am

I really think we as a whole (including selectors, coach and the general public) need to relax a little bit and stop putting too much pressure on new players coming into the mix. Give them a chance to find their feet and not put too much expectations on their shoulders. I think that is the real killer for Australian cricket. Way too much pressure and expectations to win.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:25 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:I really think we as a whole (including selectors, coach and the general public) need to relax a little bit and stop putting too much pressure on new players coming into the mix. Give them a chance to find their feet and not put too much expectations on their shoulders. I think that is the real killer for Australian cricket. Way too much pressure and expectations to win.

Sort of see where you're coming form but when you're selected as one of the best 11 to represent your country out of 24 million people, you sort of gotta come up with the goods and give it your best shot.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:29 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:I really think we as a whole (including selectors, coach and the general public) need to relax a little bit and stop putting too much pressure on new players coming into the mix. Give them a chance to find their feet and not put too much expectations on their shoulders. I think that is the real killer for Australian cricket. Way too much pressure and expectations to win.

Sort of see where you're coming form but when you're selected as one of the best 11 to represent your country out of 24 million people, you sort of gotta come up with the goods and give it your best shot.

Also think we aren't putting too much pressure and expectations on new players coming in - Mennie & Ferguson got some heat after the 1st test, but others such as Mitch Marsh, Voges, Lyon, Burns, Nevill - they aren't new into the side or the system, they've had time to "find their feet".

Mennie's selection to me was more surprising given i didn't think he had a great tour of South Africa over winter either - they handled him ok over there in the one day stuff, what made selectors believe he'd have great impact at test level?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:34 am

Quite the opposite in fact. They trollop around the globe dressing up in meaningless coloured garb and wear a new hat every other week in meaningless tournaments that see them earn a gasquillion dollars regardless of how the team performs and in the short term regardless of how they perform. They just get on another Qatar Airlines flight to destination XYZ and roll out with willow in hand to have a crack at the next bloke flinging them down.

Putting a bit of emphasis on wearing the baggy green with pride and representing one of our truly national teams that the whole country gets behind ( probably only the Socceroos who get similar support ) then the pressure and expectation to win is high, should be high, and we've all lost the plot when it isn't.

I appreciate your view, but I can't stomach it one bit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:38 am

Booney wrote:

Quite the opposite in fact. They trollop around the globe dressing up in meaningless coloured garb and wear a new hat every other week in meaningless tournaments that see them earn a gasquillion dollars regardless of how the team performs and in the short term regardless of how they perform. They just get on another Qatar Airlines flight to destination XYZ and roll out with willow in hand to have a crack at the next bloke flinging them down.

Putting a bit of emphasis on wearing the baggy green with pride and representing one of our truly national teams that the whole country gets behind ( probably only the Socceroos who get similar support ) then the pressure and expectation to win is high, should be high, and we've all lost the plot when it isn't.

I appreciate your view, but I can't stomach it one bit.

Yeah but the expectations we immediately expect new players to perform straight away and make 100 runs in their first hit out. Or take 5 wickets is phenomenal. We can't expect new blood coming into the team to be game winners from the start. It's about letting them find their feet.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:54 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:Yeah but the expectations we immediately expect new players to perform straight away and make 100 runs in their first hit out. Or take 5 wickets is phenomenal. We can't expect new blood coming into the team to be game winners from the start. It's about letting them find their feet.

Just an honest performance would suffice, for a bowler perhaps a decent economy rate and a couple of wickets and a decent start as a batsman, yes the pressure is immense but so is the paypacket and accolades for representing your country at probably our most popular national sport.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:11 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Yeah but the expectations we immediately expect new players to perform straight away and make 100 runs in their first hit out. Or take 5 wickets is phenomenal. We can't expect new blood coming into the team to be game winners from the start. It's about letting them find their feet.

Just an honest performance would suffice, for a bowler perhaps a decent economy rate and a couple of wickets and a decent start as a batsman, yes the pressure is immense but so is the paypacket and accolades for representing your country at probably our most popular national sport.

Then maybe there has to be something looked into when it comes to what is accepted as what they get paid for.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket