Australian International Summer

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer

Postby RB » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Surprised Maddinson has been selected ahead of Patterson.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:18 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Haters gonna hate

You are right, I hate it when a keeper drops two of the biggest sitters you will ever see to deny us a win.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Surprised with Maddinson despite him having potential there is a couple of others I would have had ahead of him.

Ferguson had to go his form is shot and will be a one test player (wish I could say I had played a test)

Not sure about Wade replacing Neville but you would think AO is one of the friendlier keeping wickets in the country and Wade is definitely a better bat

My side from that squad would be

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Maddinson
Smith
Handscombe
Wade
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon
Sayers
Last edited by whufc on Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby stan » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:34 pm

Depending on conditions it might well be Lyon out as well for thr 4th quick. The ball ducked around plenty under lights.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby RustyCage » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Callum Ferguson and Joe Mennie join Paul Wilson, Graham Manou, Dan Cullen and Peter George as SA's "One Test Wonders" in the last 20 years.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:21 pm

RustyCage wrote:Callum Ferguson and Joe Mennie join Paul Wilson, Graham Manou, Dan Cullen and Peter George as SA's "One Test Wonders" in the last 20 years.

dont forget Peter McIntyre.

Worrying signs for the Chad
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:26 pm

RB wrote:Disgusted Maddinson has been selected ahead of Patterson.

All fixed.

Given they went with Renshaw they cant use the hasnt proven himself at Shield level over a couple years excuse.
Also disgusted Wade has been given another chance, im with Jim, he will cost us at least one Test out of the 4 remaining this summer
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:29 pm

Pretty harsh on Ferguson finally getting a call up and dropped after one Test. At least should've given the guy one more chance as it's a dead rubber anyway and would've been playing in his home town in front of all his friends and family. If he fails again okay rule a line through him and go with someone else for the Pakistan series.

Brutal stuff really feel for Ferguson had his very promising ODI career ended by doing his knee and then gets the arse after one solitary Test.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby whufc » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Gozu wrote:Pretty harsh on Ferguson finally getting a call up and dropped after one Test. At least should've given the guy one more chance as it's a dead rubber anyway and would've been playing in his home town in front of all his friends and family. If he fails again okay rule a line through him and go with someone else for the Pakistan series.

Brutal stuff really feel for Ferguson had his very promising ODI career ended by doing his knee and then gets the arse after one solitary Test.

Can't gift blokes a game because it's his home town.

It would of been a 50/50 between him and Handscombe for the initial spot and then the rest is history

His horribly out of form!!! End of
whufc
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Gozu wrote:Pretty harsh on Ferguson finally getting a call up and dropped after one Test. At least should've given the guy one more chance as it's a dead rubber anyway and would've been playing in his home town in front of all his friends and family. If he fails again okay rule a line through him and go with someone else for the Pakistan series.

Just shows the selectors were travelling as bad as the team
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Full agree mate, well said.

It's a case of different rules for different people. Some blokes get numerous chances while a Callum Furguson gets one solitary test match to prove himself. Couldn't of got a worse place to debut either, a raging seamer against a very, very good attack. Yes he should be up to it and that's International cricket but they really threw him in the deep end compared to others who had it alot easier in their first test match. Just a bullshit decision IMO.

daysofourlives wrote:
RB wrote:Disgusted Maddinson has been selected ahead of Patterson.

All fixed.

Given they went with Renshaw they cant use the hasnt proven himself at Shield level over a couple years excuse.
Also disgusted Wade has been given another chance, im with Jim, he will cost us at least one Test out of the 4 remaining this summer

Another bullshit decision. Nic Maddison is barely a decent 4-day cricketer let alone a test cricketer! In my book he's just a white ball cricketer and that's it.

And while I mentioned on here Wade is a chance coming into the squad if Nevill doesn't make any runs I'm still really surprised he's been selected.

Great for Sayers to get picked, we all know he should of been in the squad eariler on. Pretty disappointing for Mennie though. Just feels like a waste of time selecting and playing him to be honest, same with Ferg.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:33 pm

The Maddison selection is baffling

In the case of Ferguson and Mennie they were 50/50 selections who both looked like boys against men, more so than any debutants I've seen in a long time.

Ferguson isn't being dropped just because of that one test, it's also because of what has happened in the last four days with both his performance and his nearest rivals performance. The Ferguson non selection was the easiest of all the decisions the selectors had to make

Their dropping is just the selectors fixing the initial mistake of selecting them imho Handscombe and Sayers have come in a test late
whufc
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:49 pm

I love Ferg but he has barely batted in the past 14 months and has had one score above 15 at first class level or above. Shouldn't have been selected before Head and I would play Head in a test well before Maddinson
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Gozu » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:03 pm

whufc wrote:The Maddison selection is baffling

In the case of Ferguson and Mennie they were 50/50 selections who both looked like boys against men, more so than any debutants I've seen in a long time.

Ferguson isn't being dropped just because of that one test, it's also because of what has happened in the last four days with both his performance and his nearest rivals performance. The Ferguson non selection was the easiest of all the decisions the selectors had to make

Their dropping is just the selectors fixing the initial mistake of selecting them imho Handscombe and Sayers have come in a test late

Ferguson has shown he's up to it at international level with an average of 40+ (I think) in ODI cricket. That doesn't happen by accident. Reading between the lines I think the Ferguson selection was more a desperate last ditch attempt by a selector who knew he was close to losing his job (Rod Marsh). More chance of a veteran guy with a proven track record at international level making him look good than a young guy who has only ever been successful at Shield level.

Picking a veteran batsman to play one Test on what is probably the most bowler friendly pitch in the country is almost akin to setting him up for failure. All this talk of Ferguson possibly being dropped I laughed off as front bar talk as if you finally give the guy his chance and drop him after one Test no way and I bet Ferguson would've expected he would get at least one more Test too given how much rope everyone else seems to get.

Mennie yeah okay he will probably get more chances in future but now Ferguson will never get another chance again no matter what he does.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby RB » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:24 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Great for Sayers to get picked, we all know he should of been in the squad eariler on. Pretty disappointing for Mennie though. Just feels like a waste of time selecting and playing him to be honest, same with Ferg.

Great to see Sayers picked, but it's strange that they picked him after picking Mennie ahead of him for the last test - Sayer's big performances were in the first two Shield games; he was economical but not devastating against Queensland. Just weird for them to decide that he's good enough now but behind Mennie two weeks ago.

Strange also that Mennie didn't play in the Shield game given his spot was clearly up for grabs.

As for Ferg, his form doesn't really warrant selection and he's not the only person to get one chance (at least unlike Stewie Law he has an average!) but it's hard to fathom how the Marshes get twenty more tests than him given how mediocre they've been both at Test and Shield level.

When Mennie was struggling in the last test match many felt that SA's good bowling over the last couple of seasons was due to team efforts and the way the bowlers worked together to put pressure on the batsmen, with none of the bowlers all that talented on their own (notwithstanding that many thought Sayers earned the spot). I think that SA's batting is the same. Ferguson hasn't been able to put a string of good scores together since his injury, Head makes starts but rarely goes on with it and looks to be more of a white ball cricketer, Lehmann has easily the best average but is less experienced and susceptible to spin bowling, and the others aren't at test level (yet). If I was a test selector I'm not sure I'd pick any of them.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby bennymacca » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:43 pm

I for one am happy with the changes. They have picked younger guys who are in form. Sayers should play given the expected conditions.

Maddinson has made 2 tons this year. Can't really comment on him vs Patterson but unfortunately I think one of them in for ferg is the right call. He never really seemed like a long term solution imo.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:05 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
RustyCage wrote:Callum Ferguson and Joe Mennie join Paul Wilson, Graham Manou, Dan Cullen and Peter George as SA's "One Test Wonders" in the last 20 years.

dont forget Peter McIntyre.

Worrying signs for the Chad

That's an amazing stat, seven of them! Not great.

Hopefully Ferg gets another go, think he will, not sure about Mennie though, did not look that menacing at the next level in Hobart.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby helicopterking » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:32 pm

If Sayers plays, he has to open the bowling to make the most of his attributes.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Thunderstruck » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:23 am

helicopterking wrote:If Sayers plays, he has to open the bowling to make the most of his attributes.

Agree. I'd have Starc taking the new ball with Sayers up the other end. Both will swing it a lot, Starc at 145 and Sayers at 125-130. Haze is the best with an older ball by a fair margin so dropping him to first change shouldn't be an issue.

I'd imagine though it will come down to Bird V Sayers with Sayers getting the nod purely because of his record at Adelaide Oval. Spin friendly deck....though given it's a diff time with pink ball I'd love to see 4 seamers but I'd be very surprised if they do that.
Meh
Thunderstruck

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:45 am

Booney wrote:Voges out. Head in.
Siddle out. Sayers in.
M Marsh out. S Marsh to 6. Maddinson in.

Warner
Maddinson
Khawaja
Smith
Head
S Marsh
Nevill
Starc
Sayers
Hazlewood
Lyon

Well they got Maddinson and Sayers in, only had Maddinson at the top of the order if they didn't find another opener. We have found one, a British one, but we found one.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket