Salary Cap Investigations

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

Postby jo172 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:45 am

What really loses me is that all Divisions have the same salary cap with the natural implication being that the gap between D1 and D7 should be as narrow as possible.

In what world is this a preferable reality?
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:56 am

I think the main problem is spuds like me, who have scraped into depleted Div 4 sides, are getting paid way more than they're worth.

So even the Div 7 standard players think they're too good to play in the lower divisions, because they see spuds like themselves getting money. Then they shop themselves around, and clubs over pay.

Of course that's going to have an adverse effect on Div 5, 6 and 7 clubs, when players who have no business being paid are getting some pocket money at other clubs.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Q. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:57 am

Wouldn't the idea be to prevent high division clubs from poaching players from lower division clubs, by having the same cap it at at least gives the opportunity to match.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Trader » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Q. wrote:Wouldn't the idea be to prevent high division clubs from poaching players from lower division clubs, by having the same cap it at at least gives the opportunity to match.

Yeah, I can see that argument, but do we want players the market consider worthy of payment hiding down in div 7 beating up on so called entry level players?

Also, I would suggest that a top end club will have considerably more players worthy of payment, compared to div 7, and as such, the player in question can actually get significantly more from a div 7 club than div 1 or 2.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby jo172 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Q. wrote:Wouldn't the idea be to prevent high division clubs from poaching players from lower division clubs, by having the same cap it at at least gives the opportunity to match.

Except where the reality winds up is that D5 clubs are now taking multiple blokes straight out of League Football with no other connection to the Club. Blokes whose ability would at least appear to exceed D5.

My suspicion is that the salary cap being equal from D1 to D7 is not designed to accomplish this.
Last edited by jo172 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Q. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:31 pm

jo172 wrote:

Except where the reality winds up is that D5 clubs are now taking multiple blokes straight out of League Football with no other connection to the Club. Blokes whose ability would at least appear to exceed D5

There's got to be another reason they aren't playing a higher div. It can't be money, because we're all capped the same.
Q.
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Q. wrote:There's got to be another reason they aren't playing a higher div. It can't be money, because we're all capped the same.

Why play higher when you can get the same $$ at D7 as D1.. or perhaps they're getting more in the lower grades than they're worth in the higher grades.. money for jam.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3998 times

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Zartan wrote:
Q. wrote:There's got to be another reason they aren't playing a higher div. It can't be money, because we're all capped the same.

Why play higher when you can get the same $$ at D7 as D1.. or perhaps they're getting more in the lower grades than they're worth in the higher grades.. money for jam.

It says more about the player than the club if a player prefers to play div 7 than div 1 on the same money..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Trader » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:53 pm

Zartan wrote:

This is it for mine.
At Div 2, 10 players might be splitting the $3,000 per week.

At Div 5, the SANFL player can take $2,000 of the 3k without anyone really questioning it.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Trader wrote:
Zartan wrote:

This is it for mine.
At Div 2, 10 players might be splitting the $3,000 per week.

At Div 5, the SANFL player can take $2,000 of the 3k without anyone really questioning it.

not under the current system though
Q.
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:57 pm

$2,000 a week.

What a joke.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:15 pm

If a bloke was taking 2k a week at any club in SA it wouldn't be kept secret for long let alone at div 5.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Trader » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:21 pm

2k was just a number, as Q rightly points out, there is a separate cap per player as well as overall.
What I was trying to say (poorly!!) was that if you're the only good player at a club, its far easier to get a maximum payment than when you're one of several good players at a club.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby coman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:25 pm

Zartan wrote:

I'm not trying to be a smarty but is there anyone even good anuth in div 7 to play div 1???
coman
Rookie

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 61 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby am Bays » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Here's a suggestion, the Adelaide football league go back to being strictly amateur.

There everyone's happy and everyone's equal!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby morell » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:36 pm

Trader wrote:
morell wrote:You lack basic level empathy Trader and your privilege taints the way you think.

C'mon Morgs, just cause I don't agree with you doesn't mean you need to have a swipe at me personally.
As you've said several times on here, if we didn't have different opinions a forum would be a very boring place.
Sorry mate, that probably came across harsher than I intended and I was replying to the man behind Trader a little bit. :lol:

But still, you don't get to imply someone who falls victim to a workplace accident as "being stupid" and "removed from the gene pool" without a slap from me. And within the context of this discussion, you're a Prince Alfred Old Scholar. Not wanting to take anything away from your achievements as a club and I am sure the volunteers behind the scenes bust their arse, but PAOC are most assuredly privileged.

Trader wrote:To avoid banging on when we clearly aren't going to come to an agreement, I'm happy to agree to disagree on the economics of amateur football talent.
However, can you please explain to me (as someone who clearly doesn't understand lower grade footy), why does Mitchell Park need to buy a whiting or 3?

You talk about the need to maintain lower grades as places for social footy and gateways for people to join the game and hopefully move up. I agree with this completely. What I don't understand is why that requires Whiting to occur? Can't they simply be 22 unpaid blokes running around having a kick and a catch?
This is a fair question and its something that we struggle with internally in terms of positioning ourselves within the marketplace. Are we happy to just be kick and catch? Or do we strive for more professionalism?

Within our context I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. We want to provide an environment that enables people who are new, not as fit, not as coordinated or simply not as committed time wise to still be able to enjoy football. But we also want to be successful and sustainable.

It's the nature of football I suppose where people really just want to win. So to be able to provide the aforementioned avenue we need to be able to recruit enough talent and ability to be successful in the competition that we're in.

I don't think we really have the goal of ever being a D1 or D2 club - for us its more about ensuring we survive the short term, build into some sustainable strength at the lower divisions and push into D5, D4 and maybe D3 one day. To do that, we need our fair share of Whiting.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby morell » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:37 pm

jo172 wrote:What really loses me is that all Divisions have the same salary cap with the natural implication being that the gap between D1 and D7 should be as narrow as possible.

In what world is this a preferable reality?
Its not. There should be a sliding scale IMO.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:38 pm

coman wrote:
Zartan wrote:

I'm not trying to be a smarty but is there anyone even good anuth in div 7 to play div 1???

Not only D1, but SANFL

morell
Coach

Postby jo172 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:47 pm

Wouldn't have thought any of the D1 sides would have declined Steven Wellington's services this year either (and he also played a few games for the Ravens).
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby morell » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:53 pm

We had Ben Weekley play D1 for PHOS from D7 a few years ago.
morell
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League